Building a Champion from where u are

Tinstar

Make your strength even stronger  and improve what's weaker . On our Jets, our strengths lie along the defensive front 7 in the RB core and to some extent along the OL. Our weakness lies at the QB position, in the defensive secondary, in the receiving core and at Pass rush. Heading in to free agency and the draft, The Jets have the ammunition in Cap space and the #6 pick in the draft to make serious improvements to the Roster.

It's highly improbable that the Jets can improve their QB situation via the draft or free agency for 2015.

It's highly probable that the Jets can strengthen their Pass Rush situation via both the Draft and free agency for 2015.

It's highly probable that the Jets can Improve their secondary situation via free agency for 2015 . 

It's highly probable that the Jets can Improve the OL situation via the Draft and free agency for 2015 .

Attack the Pass rush via the draft .

Shane Ray

Vic Beasley

Attack the secondary via free agency.

Revis

Cromartie

Kareem Jackson

Attack the QB situation as best you can

Sign or trade for a young vet with playing experience 

Work on Geno Smith

Draft a prospect to Develop.

What's your plan ?

I think our draft strategy should go along the lines of, depending upon who's there : 

Round #1: Landon Collins / Jameis Winston 

Round #2: Devin Funchess / Tyler Lockett / Devin Smith / Rashad Greene 

Round #3: Devin Smith / Rashad Greene 

Round #4: Quandre Diggs / Ty Montgomery 

Tough thing to judge.  I've thought the last few years that the Jets were one impact olb pass rusher away from turning up their D a full notch.  We have good if not great dlineman but the very nature of a 3-4 means these guys cannot always get after the QB.  If we get that one 15-20 sack olb that other teams have to take into account the other great dline will be that much better.  It also means the secondary is that much better.  I think we may be in the post to draft a guy like Ray.  I still think our oline is not that bad.  I'm all for adding ol in the draft but not at #6.

As for Qb.  Super tough call.  Winston has looked like a pro style Qb to me in the games I watched but he has thrown too many picks for my liking and his character scares me.  Mariota is another ?.  i like what I have seen from him but the offense is ....well it is Oregon.

Not sure why people think Beasley would be a good fit as a 3-4 OLB, he is really undersized for that role, he is best suited as a 4-3 OLB. Landon Collins at 6? That could be a worst pick than Pryor at 18 last year.

Ray would be my choice at 6 this year, Fowler is interesting as well. Although my preference would be Parker in the first and Orchard in the second.

Make your strength even stronger  and improve what's weaker . On our Jets, our strengths lie along the defensive front 7 in the RB core and to some extent along the OL. Our weakness lies at the QB position, in the defensive secondary, in the receiving core and at Pass rush. Heading in to free agency and the draft, The Jets have the ammunition in Cap space and the #6 pick in the draft to make serious improvements to the Roster.

It's highly improbable that the Jets can improve their QB situation via the draft or free agency for 2015.

It's highly probable that the Jets can strengthen their Pass Rush situation via both the Draft and free agency for 2015.

It's highly probable that the Jets can Improve their secondary situation via free agency for 2015 . 

It's highly probable that the Jets can Improve the OL situation via the Draft and free agency for 2015 .

Attack the Pass rush via the draft .

Shane Ray

Vic Beasley

Attack the secondary via free agency.

Revis

Cromartie

Kareem Jackson

Attack the QB situation as best you can

Sign or trade for a young vet with playing experience 

Work on Geno Smith

Draft a prospect to Develop.

What's your plan ?

Highly improbable that the jets could improve in QB play?  Moore, Campbell, Fitz, McCoy, Hoyer - all will be an improvement over Smith of last year.  Not get you to the playoffs good enough but definitely an improvement.

has Bowles made a decision which way he is leaning as a base defense 3-4 or 4-3?

Brandon Scherff is going to be one of the 3 best players to come out of this draft and I disagree with the boys on ESPN I think not only can he play Guard but eventually he can play either Tackle position.  He had to protect a drop back QB in Iowa and did a very good job of it as a Left Tackle.  Scherff's technique is flawless and he is a strong mother f*cker.

Draft Scherff and we have a top 3 O-line again.

Highly improbable that the jets could improve in QB play?  Moore, Campbell, Fitz, McCoy, Hoyer - all will be an improvement over Smith of last year.  Not get you to the playoffs good enough but definitely an improvement.

has Bowles made a decision which way he is leaning as a base defense 3-4 or 4-3?

I do like McCoy the kid was never given a good team to work with, I think he would give Geno a run for his money

Not sure why people think Beasley would be a good fit as a 3-4 OLB, he is really undersized for that role, he is best suited as a 4-3 OLB. Landon Collins at 6? That could be a worst pick than Pryor at 18 last year.

Ray would be my choice at 6 this year, Fowler is interesting as well. Although my preference would be Parker in the first and Orchard in the second.

Didn't think I would have to explain, but the Beasley selection is not for the 34, but in case the Jets decide to go to the 43 defense. If you're  going to take Parker in the 1st, my question is who's throwing the Ball to him ? 

I like Danielle Hunter from LSU

I doubt we'd be able to get Nick Foles so I say trade a 2016 3rd rounder for Mike Glennon

Release Chris Johnson and dump Percy Harvin's contract. 

Let Mo Wilk play out his contract. 

Free Agency pick up's:

WR Torrey Smith from Baltimore

WR Rod Streater from Oakland

RT Bryan Bulaga from Green Bay (Move Giacomini inside to guard and solidify that position with him, Dozier, Aboushi and Winters)

CB Byron Maxwell from Seattle

TE Niles Paul from Washington

RB Antone Smith from Falcons 

OLB Sam Acho from Arizona

ILB Craig Robertson from Cleveland

Resign: 

Damon Harrison

Leger Douzable 

Kendrick Ellis

Draft: 

1st round (trade down for a mid round 1st and 3rd) OLB Hau’oli Kikaha

2nd round WR Jaelen Strong 

3rd round RB Ameer Abdullah 

3rd round FS Derron Smith

4th round CB Steven Nelson

5th round S Jaiuiski Tartt 

6th round (traded to Seattle for Percy Harvin)

7th round QB Chuckie Keeton 

Fck this Glennon sh*t.  ....Your pussy's all hurt so much, that you're turning to ANOTHER 3rd QB with just as many question marks? Ridiculous...

The plan is to build the roster in a way that the new CS can execute their game plans. You have adjust your strategy to reflect your talent, but you also have to have a vision. A philosophy.

Facts; we have money. We have needs in the secondary, depth concerns at the Oline, and nothing past Decker at WR. Harvin's a goner.  

Plan; FA this year has a wealth of talent in all of the above areas, including OLBs. As does the draft in the case of WRs, OGs, and DBs... You get yourself veteran leadership in the secondary via FA, and boss Guard to start right away. You get FA WR, and draft the future in rnds 1/2

Facts; We are unsettled at QB.... and the market (FA & Draft) is abysmal

Plan; forget trying to pull rabbits out of the hat. Get veteran for insurance. draft a developmental guy late, and push forward in with Gailey & Geno. 

Facts; Need more TEs. Lots of them. 

Fck this Glennon sh*t.  ....Your pussy's all hurt so much, that you're turning to ANOTHER 3rd QB with just as many question marks? Ridiculous...

The plan is to build the roster in a way that the new CS can execute their game plans. You have adjust your strategy to reflect your talent, but you also have to have a vision. A philosophy.

Facts; we have money. We have needs in the secondary, depth concerns at the Oline, and nothing past Decker at WR. Harvin's a goner.  

Plan; FA this year has a wealth of talent in all of the above areas, including OLBs. As does the draft in the case of WRs, OGs, and DBs... You get yourself veteran leadership in the secondary via FA, and boss Guard to start right away. You get FA WR, and draft the future in rnds 1/2

Facts; We are unsettled at QB.... and the market (FA & Draft) is abysmal

Plan; forget trying to pull rabbits out of the hat. Get veteran for insurance. draft a developmental guy late, and push forward in with Gailey & Geno. 

Facts; Need more TEs. Lots of them. 

Mike Glennon isn't a bad QB, Tampa Bay is just stupid. 

Mike Glennon isn't a bad QB, Tampa Bay is just stupid. 

Glad to see you focused on the important part of that laborous post. 

And yes, he's sh*t.  ...I know all about Glennon. He's exactly who we thought he was when he came out of NC state. You don't manage a roster by doubling up on struggling 3rd years. 

Glad to see you focused on the important part of that laborous post. 

And yes, he's sh*t.  ...I know all about Glennon. He's exactly who we thought he was when he came out of NC state. You don't manage a roster by doubling up on struggling 3rd years. 

You do manage your roster by providing depth at the position and continuing to draft at that position until you hit. Winston will be gone and so will Mariota. Glennon is better than every free agent QB except probably Jake Locker who can never stay healthy. Glennon stats show that he could manage a game efficiently enough to produce wins with our 6th ranked defense which is much better than the 26th ranked Bucs defense. 

There is no QB that I see that is a franchise QB that we have the possibility of getting. The closest is Nick Foles and behind him is Mike Glennon. Given that I dont believe we would be able to guarantee Mariota will be there at #6, I think Philly will move up and trade to get him and the team that trades with Philly will get Foles. Mike Glennon would be better than Geno Smith and better than any free agent or rookie that I see coming out of college. No matter what I would draft a QB every year until we hit. 

But you know all about Mike Glennon, so you tell me who you would bring in to compete, because you haven't said a name or a person to be so adamant about the topic. 

You do manage your roster by providing depth at the position and continuing to draft at that position until you hit. Winston will be gone and so will Mariota. Glennon is better than every free agent QB except probably Jake Locker who can never stay healthy. Glennon stats show that he could manage a game efficiently enough to produce wins with our 6th ranked defense which is much better than the 26th ranked Bucs defense. 

There is no QB that I see that is a franchise QB that we have the possibility of getting. The closest is Nick Foles and behind him is Mike Glennon. Given that I dont believe we would be able to guarantee Mariota will be there at #6, I think Philly will move up and trade to get him and the team that trades with Philly will get Foles. Mike Glennon would be better than Geno Smith and better than any free agent or rookie that I see coming out of college. No matter what I would draft a QB every year until we hit. 

But you know all about Mike Glennon, so you tell me who you would bring in to compete, because you haven't said a name or a person to be so adamant about the topic. 

you need to let the QB position go... just let it go right now. It's not happening in 2015. 

To quote myself--

Firstly, I’m on the record in saying – we’re not fixing the QB position in 2015. Not unless we wind up with Winston (who I’m not enamored with and don’t think he’ll be there anyway). We’re gonna have to let Gailey do this thing, and see where that gets Geno. It’s possible a veteran like Moore or a dream scenario like trading our pick to PHI for picks + Foles happens and we improve our situation, but I wouldn’t count on it. The 2015 QB class both in draft and FA is the worst, ever.

I don’t believe Glennon represents anything different than Geno. We’ve already got one 3rd year QB  at a crossroads. We don’t need TWO quarterbacks at the same crossroads.  You don’t fill your roster with carbon copies like that. We need a veteran presence, someone like Moore, Fitz, or Hoyer to as a contingency plan, and probably get a development guy like Grayson or Bridge. See where that guy is after a season of clipboards and practices.

You have to consider the fanbase, and players here. If Geno implodes again, and your solution can’t be to just roll out Geno 2.0, you risk losing a lot.  If your young-gun falls on his face, you have to bring someone in who’ll stabilize the offense. Probably not gonna win you a lot of games, but you keep the offense organized and somewhat comfortable/confident. A band aide if you will.

We can spend 2015 complaining and stressing over the Quarterback position, or we can use this as an opportunity to build around the position. Develop the offense, fortify the Oline and build an identity. Create an opportunity for the next guy to be successful. 

Philosophically this team has to decide if it wants to back Geno (competition or not). If the answer is no, then trade for Glennon, and ditch Geno. There is no version of reality where an NFL franchise houses both of those guys.

If he's Geno's your guy, then you get a Veteran to back him up/compete and/or draft a QB - developmental or immediate. If our starter was a Flacco, or a Dalton -- then ya, you bring in someone like maybe Glennon as a potential ace up your sleeve. Alternatively, if you're HOU let's say, and you're losing Fitz and Mallet, then yea, you bring Glennon in to compete with your new rookie, or Hoyer. 

If our situation was as horrid as BUF's (Manuel has been definitively bad) then, yea, i guess you can make a case that Glennon is actually the upgrade. That's not the case here.

you need to let the QB position go... just let it go right now. It's not happening in 2015. 

To quote myself--

Philosophically this team has to decide if it wants to back Geno (competition or not). If the answer is no, then trade for Glennon, and ditch Geno. There is no version of reality where an NFL franchise houses both of those guys.

If he's Geno's your guy, then you get a Veteran to back him up/compete and/or draft a QB - developmental or immediate. If our starter was a Flacco, or a Dalton -- then ya, you bring in someone like maybe Glennon as a potential ace up your sleeve. Alternatively, if you're HOU let's say, and you're losing Fitz and Mallet, then yea, you bring Glennon in to compete with your new rookie, or Hoyer. 

If our situation was as horrid as BUF's (Manuel has been definitively bad) then, yea, i guess you can make a case that Glennon is actually the upgrade. That's not the case here.

There's a few things that I feel is wrong here. 

#1. You can house both Geno and Glennon because Geno is affordable and is still in his rookie contract. You also give him the opportunity to compete still. I dont understand how Geno can compete with one set of vets we bring in but can't compete with another set of vets simply because the vet is Glennon. 

#2. You can make the case for buffalo but not New York when Geno is arguably just as bad as Manuel? I think you're saying that because you have no attachment as a fan to that franchise. Mike Glennon has played better than both Manuel and Geno, has shown to limit INT's and has shown to throw TD's.  Thats something you can try to build on, especially given your point that the 2015 draft doesnt seem like the year for the QB though I would still draft a QB in the later rounds to add to the mix while cutting Matt Simms. 

You dont like Glennon, thats the only thing evident here. But your position is not supported by his stats, and his stats show that he has the potential to bring in and try out. 

There's a few things that I feel is wrong here. 

#1. You can house both Geno and Glennon because Geno is affordable and is still in his rookie contract. You also give him the opportunity to compete still. I dont understand how Geno can compete with one set of vets we bring in but can't compete with another set of vets simply because the vet is Glennon. 

#2. You can make the case for buffalo but not New York when Geno is arguably just as bad as Manuel? I think you're saying that because you have no attachment as a fan to that franchise. Mike Glennon has played better than both Manuel and Geno, has shown to limit INT's and has shown to throw TD's.  Thats something you can try to build on, especially given your point that the 2015 draft doesnt seem like the year for the QB though I would still draft a QB in the later rounds to add to the mix while cutting Matt Simms. 

You dont like Glennon, thats the only thing evident here. But your position is not supported by his stats, and his stats show that he has the potential to bring in and try out. 

This conversation started with a discussion, and now you're just flat out wrong and not listening. What don't you get? No team is going to house them both. None, zero. no chance. If we have Glennon, then we don't have Geno. Digest that. If The Mac pulled a stunt like that, then we got the wrong guy for the job. 

I've watched Glennon. I don't care what his "Stats" say. He's just as much a deer in the headlights as Geno. His ups and downs weren't as dramatic as Geno's... big fcking deal. 

I'm not arguing for BUF, i said I GUESS YOU COULD MAKE A CASE... The difference is, Manuel's played like 6 games and lost all of them. It's not comparable. And he sucks. massively. 

You need to stop pretending this is like trading sports cards, and look it from the business standpoint. As a GM, trying to prep your roster. You need the RIGHT kind of mix at QB. The whole.god.damn.offense. will not tolerate playing 16 games with two cheesedicks at Quarterback. If Geno/Glennon falls on their face, you bring in the ringer to hold the fort down. that's how it's done. That's coaching. that's team management. That;s reality.

This conversation started with a discussion, and now you're just flat out wrong and not listening. What don't you get? No team is going to house them both. None, zero. no chance. If we have Glennon, then we don't have Geno. Digest that. If The Mac pulled a stunt like that, then we got the wrong guy for the job. 

I've watched Glennon. I don't care what his "Stats" say. He's just as much a deer in the headlights as Geno. His ups and downs weren't as dramatic as Geno's... big fcking deal. 

I'm not arguing for BUF, i said I GUESS YOU COULD MAKE A CASE... The difference is, Manuel's played like 6 games and lost all of them. It's not comparable. And he sucks. massively. 

You need to stop pretending this is like trading sports cards, and look it from the business standpoint. As a GM, trying to prep your roster. You need the RIGHT kind of mix at QB. The whole.god.damn.offense. will not tolerate playing 16 games with two cheesedicks at Quarterback. If Geno/Glennon falls on their face, you bring in the ringer to hold the fort down. that's how it's done. That's coaching. that's team management. That;s reality.

This part highlighted is called an opinion, nothing more. Matter of fact, I can highlight most of what you said because thats all it is. The only thing you said that is factual is that Manuel sucks massively and that there are times where Glennon looks lost. I'd look lost too in that terrible offense. That could change here with a different coordinator. 

Also, no one is pretending like this is trading sports cards, you're you're the one that seems like you're about to pop a vein or something with all the language. I've asked you twice already that if Glennon isn't preferable to you then "name your quarterback". All you're doing is talking smack and cursing a lot. Even if I was approaching this as if it was trading sports cards you'd still not be in the game because I dont see you naming people that you would bring in. All I heard from you is "vets" which I've already told you that Glennon is better than any FA QB available and "Geno", which lets me know that you'd go into the year with Geno smith which if Mac did that then I'd know we'd had the wrong people. 

Relax. Disagreeing with me is exciting because I have something to talk about, but I know for a fact that you can get your point across without all the extra-ness. 

I'm getting worked because the logic seems lost on you. You keep coming back to this - need depth at QB. But what you're suggesting is he equivalent of stacking your WR roster with a bunch of split ends. It's not how it works.

I haven't named names because there's no one worth talking about. They all stink. Worst year to be in the position we're in. If it was me calling shots, I'd definitely stick with Geno to see how he fairs in Gaileys system. I'd sign either Locker or McCoy based on nothing more than propensity to run the same style of offense. Few adjustments. I'd feel better about Grayson or Bridge to be called on tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting worked because the logic seems lost on you. You keep coming back to this - need depth at QB. But what you're suggesting is he equivalent of stacking your WR roster with a bunch of split ends. It's not how it works.

I haven't named names because there's no one worth talking about. They all stink. Worst year to be in the position we're in. If it was me calling shots, I'd definitely stick with Geno to see how he fairs in Gaileys system. I'd sign either Locker or McCoy based on nothing more than propensity to run the same style of offense. Few adjustments. I'd feel better about Grayson or Bridge to be called on tbh

Don't get so worked up. My logic is just different from yours. Its all opinion after all. 

Getting worked up over someone else's method when you don't present one of your own can be looked at as nothing to be taken seriously. Im simply saying to bring in the best available guy that has shown to play better than what we already have, while you're basically saying to do nothing and stick with Geno. Your logic does lose me when you can bring in a guy who could possibly be better, not a franchise QB but simply better than what we already have. Not doing anything like you suggest is not what Bowles and Mac was brought in for. 

Also, Chuckie Keeton from Utah State looks like a good prospect. I made a thread about him, maybe you should go check it out. 

But here's the thing. Unless Geno blows up (because realistically he's not going anywhere) then you're going to be looking for that blue chip guy next year. Probably go for it this year if there was anyone to go after. So it's not worth trading picks for supplemental talent, that even subjectively, offers minimal improvement. If Geno plays as poorly as he did last year, the recipe for stabilizing the offense and the fanbase is send a low upside, but reliable veteran. There's not even really any of those available either... It's just putrid.

Big picture is, unless something drastic happens, we're looking at being on the market for that big time blue chip QB. Wasting picks and time on another project like Glennon is counterproductive.

I prefer other options over Keeton myself. Bridge and Grayson. To a lesser degree bennet.

There you go, thats better than just leaving it up to Geno Smith. I can respect this. I wouldnt mind putting Grayson on the team. I do have a new found football love for Keeton given that I happen to stumble across him today. 

You seduced me into submission.

I know it's a long shot, but I really like bridge. If he can properly groomed for 2 years he could have Cam Newton potential. Working against him tho, is some of the recent struggles of qbs with similar skillsets

You seduced me into submission.

I know it's a long shot, but I really like bridge. If he can properly groomed for 2 years he could have Cam Newton potential. Working against him tho, is some of the recent struggles of qbs with similar skillsets

Whats bridge full name so I can check him out? Also, if you can quote me so I can know that you responded to me. I didnt realize that you responded. 

Brandon Bridge - south Alabama Jaguars.

Im watching him and the first thing that is obvious is that he has a cannon for an arm. His short range throws are accurate and he does throw a pretty deep ball that can hit his guys in stride. where I can see that he needs development is in his medium range throws. When he hits those mid throws it looks good, but he can be off at times and he also seems to have those Brett Favre moments where he relies on his arm power to fit it in. Also, what is obvious is that he can't throw across his body when running left. When on the run to the left he can't flex his body to make a throw so he has to tuck it more often than not. If I was playing against him I'd add pressure to the right side of his oline to push him left while playing contain on the left side of the oline. With that said though, he's really good when running to his right. I seen a couple throws where he was running for his life and put the ball right on the numbers. 

He's also a big dude and he does remind me of cam with that arm. And I say again, I seen about 5 or 6 deep balls and the trajectory is great and the WR's dont slow down at all and its right over the shoulder. The problem was his WR's sucked and dropped a few. There was one where he threw it splitting the safeties and the WR dropped the ball. When standing in the pocket he can hit a target. He does stare down his receivers and when he does and they're covered I seen him try to use his arm to fit instead of going to the next read. There were a couple plays where he fit it in against Mississippi st., but in the pros he's be walking to the sideline because he just threw a pick. 

Overall, he reminds me a little of a guy who came out last year, Logan Thomas from Virginia Tech, now an Arizona Cardinal. I like what Bruce Arians is doing with him. He's really developing him. Arians didnt panic with all his QB problems this year and throw Logan in when he knew he wasnt ready. This Bridge guy is raw. I looked at his stats and he hasn't played much on the collegiate level, but the talent is there. Let him sit a couple years with the right mentors and if he fills out that size and really learns the pro game he could be a starter for sure. I dont think he's as strong or as good running the ball as Logan was in college but Bridge is still a threat to tuck the ball for a 1st down. Nice find.

Not sure if you know Logan Thomas but this is his highlights from VT. He has one of the prettiest throws I've seen on a QB. He throws a pretty football. 

I never thought I would hear myself say this, but I happen to agree with Paradis. Lord help me here. We have different ideas about who, but I agree it has to start with Geno and end with a Developmental Prospect. I know Paradis don't like my idea about Mannion, but I can deal with the idea of Brandon Bridge.

I never thought I would hear myself say this, but I happen to agree with Paradis. Lord help me here. We have different ideas about who, but I agree it has to start with Geno and end with a Developmental Prospect. I know Paradis don't like my idea about Mannion, but I can deal with the idea of Brandon Bridge.

I do agree to an extent. My problem is this, if you go into training camp and preseason with Geno Smith and a developmental rookie QB and Geno somehow loses you just tanked your season before it even started. He likes Bridge the way I like Keeton, however relying on either one of those guys would be an absolute mistake, especially if Geno further regresses. Bridge could be a nice QB, but neither he or Keeton are ready to start on Sunday. Yes, draft Bridge or pick him up as a UDFA and develop the talent. Get someone in here who could win you a few games and actually give you an opportunity to see what your talent looks like on offense such as Jace Amaro in Gailey new scheme, such as the rookie WR that we're most likely drafting in the top rounds etc. 

The Jets can't go into the season betting on Geno Smith and any rookie as our starter. This is exactly what happened to both Sanchez and Geno and it didnt work. We need to do what the Giants have done with Nassib. Nassib looked brilliant this past preseason playing in 5 games and executing 5 come from behind victories. When Manning is done Nassib will be a 3 or 4 year vet and they're not going to miss a step. And I know Geno is no Eli, my point here is that we need competition for the starting job and we need some rookies that we feel have talent but we need to develop because thats pretty much the only option that we have. 

Archived