Salary Cap Question

LionelRichie

question for the salary cap experts:

is it possible for a rebuilding team like the Jets to essentially buy a 1st rd pick from a contender looking to make one last run at the super bowl (like NO or DEN)?  

Could the Jets, with all of their cap space sign a player to big signing bonus and moderate out-year salaries and then trade that player to a contender for a 1st rd pick or multiple picks?  

for example, if New Orleans wanted FA could the Jets put together a big signing bonus and then trade the player to NO for picks?   this would create dead $$ on the cap but would basically allow a team to buy draft picks for future years.  

is this doable?   would anyone ever consider doing it?    

I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert, but that's a pretty neat idea that doesn't seem to be against any rules on the surface. I haven't heard of it being done before. The situation would have to be just right where, like the Jets, the team has a quality player they might be willing to trade, and the cap room to eat a chunk of cash.

So sign a guy like Mo Wilk to a new contract with a large signing bonus, then trade him for a higher pick than he might otherwise be worth in exchange for getting him signed for reasonable salaries first? It's creative, I'll give you that.

So sign a guy like Mo Wilk to a new contract with a large signing bonus, then trade him for a higher pick than he might otherwise be worth in exchange for getting him signed for reasonable salaries first? It's creative, I'll give you that.

what about a guy like Graham who they can't afford to resign?    or a pass rusher like Houston?    What kind of dollar value would you put on a mid-first round pick?  

Cool  question, which made me think of another one.  Can you just flat buy a draft pick for cash, that won't count against the cap?

Ive never seen it happen before, but heres something interesting. When Jets traded for Tebow, there was like a 4-5mil figure that Jets had to eat in addition to Tebow's salary. We ended up splitting it half ways. Im sure both the teams had to agree to tweak around the contract wordings to get it setup for the 50/50 split. NFL didn't seam to have an issue with that.

In this case, we are talking about straight up cash for pick trade. I doubt NFL agrees to that. It can become the norm and the NFL can see a huge disparity between different salary caps. It sort of kills the salary cap purpose.

question for the salary cap experts:

is it possible for a rebuilding team like the Jets to essentially buy a 1st rd pick from a contender looking to make one last run at the super bowl (like NO or DEN)?

Could the Jets, with all of their cap space sign a player to big signing bonus and moderate out-year salaries and then trade that player to a contender for a 1st rd pick or multiple picks?

for example, if New Orleans wanted FA could the Jets put together a big signing bonus and then trade the player to NO for picks? this would create dead $$ on the cap but would basically allow a team to buy draft picks for future years.

is this doable? would anyone ever consider doing it?

I do it on madden all the time. I trade 80- something overall players off GA and trade for 1st round picks so I can solidify my team for years to come... can I be a GM?

Archived