Dolphins fail to make right choice, could have drafted Wilson.

FTL Jet Fan

As per Rotoworld

Stephen Ross - C - Dolphins

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins were high on Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema before hiring Joe Philbin in 2012, but the sides disagreed on whether Russell Wilson could be an NFL starting quarterback.

This is an amazing story, and it's a slow news week ahead of the Super Bowl, so we'll shout it out. Per ace beat writer Armando Salguero, Dolphins owner Stephen was high on Bielema for the head-coaching job, but Bielema and the personnel department led by ex-GM Jeff Ireland hit a wall when Bielema suggested the Dolphins take Wilson in the second round of the 2012 draft. Bielema allegedly even promised the Dolphins a Super Bowl within five years if they take Wilson, who was Bielema's quarterback at Wisconsin. Bielema pulled out of the running for the job over "personnel issues," and the rest is history. Ireland took Ryan Tannehill with the No. 8 overall pick, and Wilson went to Seattle in the third round. The Dolphins remain doormats, while Wilson is going to back-to-back Super Bowls.

Source: Miami Herald Jan 30 - 12:10 PM

People will kill me for this but I'm a big boy and can take it.  Put Russell Wilson with an avg supporting cast and he's no where near the lauded Qb he is now.  He's a good player but has had his share of playing terrible but his defense and running game bail him out.  This is certainly not up to the level of a Sanchez for instance but I don't think he can carry a team like a Luck can.  Come at me bros.

People will kill me for this but I'm a big boy and can take it. Put Russell Wilson with an avg supporting cast and he's no where near the lauded Qb he is now. He's a good player but has had his share of playing terrible but his defense and running game bail him out. This is certainly not up to the level of a Sanchez for instance but I don't think he can carry a team like a Luck can. Come at me bros.

Blah bLah blah intangibles blah blah leadership blah blah rings blah blah

People will kill me for this but I'm a big boy and can take it.  Put Russell Wilson with an avg supporting cast and he's no where near the lauded Qb he is now.  He's a good player but has had his share of playing terrible but his defense and running game bail him out.  This is certainly not up to the level of a Sanchez for instance but I don't think he can carry a team like a Luck can.  Come at me bros.

I disagree, Wilson's been extremely consistent from day one. He's a huge reason for them making back to back Super Bowls instead of having early playoff exits (I know he threw 4 picks in the NFCCG this year, he also threw one of the best passes I've ever seen to win the game.)

His completion percentage is always in the low-mid 60s. His YPA is always in the high 7s. Passer rating in the mid to high 90s. He has cut down on turnovers every year of his career to a paltry 7 this year. His DVOA is always a positive number. He's 60 minutes away from winning his second Super Bowl. 

It's time to realize that this kid may be the most underrated player in the NFL, much less QB. 

I disagree, Wilson's been extremely consistent from day one. He's a huge reason for them making back to back Super Bowls instead of having early playoff exits (I know he threw 4 picks in the NFCCG this year, he also threw one of the best passes I've ever seen to win the game.)

His completion percentage is always in the low-mid 60s. His YPA is always in the high 7s. Passer rating in the mid to high 90s. He has cut down on turnovers every year of his career to a paltry 7 this year. His DVOA is always a positive number. He's 60 minutes away from winning his second Super Bowl. 

It's time to realize that this kid may be the most underrated player in the NFL, much less QB. 

I'll reserve my judgement on what I said until I see him on a team like the Jets with a poor or even mediocre supporting cast.  He has a great running game and the best D in the league.  With anything less than a great team in those other areas they are out of the playoffs due to the 4 pick game.  I like the player and am certainly not saying he is bad at all.  I just think he is being a bit overrate at this point in his career.

I'll reserve my judgement on what I said until I see him on a team like the Jets with a poor or even mediocre supporting cast.  He has a great running game and the best D in the league.  With anything less than a great team in those other areas they are out of the playoffs due to the 4 pick game.  I like the player and am certainly not saying he is bad at all.  I just think he is being a bit overrate at this point in his career.

So did Sanchez his first 2 years, and his stats were terrible.

WIlson is a player

You're never going to see that. The Seahawks are going to sign him to a megadeal and he ain't going anywhere. 

He's too good for them to even risk it. 

As per Rotoworld

Stephen Ross - C - Dolphins

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins were high on Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema before hiring Joe Philbin in 2012, but the sides disagreed on whether Russell Wilson could be an NFL starting quarterback.

This is an amazing story, and it's a slow news week ahead of the Super Bowl, so we'll shout it out. Per ace beat writer Armando Salguero, Dolphins owner Stephen was high on Bielema for the head-coaching job, but Bielema and the personnel department led by ex-GM Jeff Ireland hit a wall when Bielema suggested the Dolphins take Wilson in the second round of the 2012 draft. Bielema allegedly even promised the Dolphins a Super Bowl within five years if they take Wilson, who was Bielema's quarterback at Wisconsin. Bielema pulled out of the running for the job over "personnel issues," and the rest is history. Ireland took Ryan Tannehill with the No. 8 overall pick, and Wilson went to Seattle in the third round. The Dolphins remain doormats, while Wilson is going to back-to-back Super Bowls.

Source: Miami Herald Jan 30 - 12:10 PM

Every team passed on Wilson at least twice. even the Seahawks,

You're never going to see that. The Seahawks are going to sign him to a megadeal and he ain't going anywhere. 

He's too good for them to even risk it. 

Oh he will be staying in Seattle for sure but there is nothing to say that Seattle will not get old or lose FA's.  He eventually will have to carry the load more, like Flacco etc.  If the team still is upper echelon then his early hype will be justified.

I think that could be said about virtually all QB's. Geno Smith playing for a great team, playing from ahead most of the time, good protection, receivers, and a strong rushing attack and Russell Wilson as a jet with a revolving door at the WR position, bad protection, playing from behind most of the time, decent rushing attack could very likely had Wilson looking like Geno and Geno playing in the super bowl.

Our jets had the number 1 running game & number 1 defense as well how many superbowl appearances we have? you see what I did there.

Quite possible that Russell did not fit the "size' quotient for Ireland. Parcells, when drafting, always considered the size factor as a very high variable. It is possible that Ireland follows the same book.

That's how I go after guys, too.

I am not so sure.   I do not happen to think that he is surrounded by stars.  He has two pretty average wideouts and an okay tight end.  True he does have Marshawn, but Wilson makes a fair amount of big plays.

Quite possible that Russell did not fit the "size' quotient for Ireland. Parcells, when drafting, always considered the size factor as a very high variable. It is possible that Ireland follows the same book.

That's what I'm thinking.

The case against Russell as a QB sounds a lot like the case against young Brady in the Brady/Manning debates.

People will kill me for this but I'm a big boy and can take it. Put Russell Wilson with an avg supporting cast and he's no where near the lauded Qb he is now. He's a good player but has had his share of playing terrible but his defense and running game bail him out. This is certainly not up to the level of a Sanchez for instance but I don't think he can carry a team like a Luck can. Come at me bros.

I think his supporting cast is ******* terrible, besides Lynch of course. His receivers and tight ends are atrocious and only put numbers up due to Wilson extending plays.

I think his supporting cast is ******* terrible, besides Lynch of course. His receivers and tight ends are atrocious and only put numbers up due to Wilson extending plays.

Are you ******* kidding me? You want to know the reason why Seahawks offense looks average, and Jets offense looks like crap. Geno Smith and ******* Russell Wilson. Wilson and Lynch are basically the main reason for that teams success. Wilson being able to scramble and play behind a crap Oline is an integral part of their success. Compare that to Geno who has an above o line, a pretty good running game with Ivory, and above average receivers in Harvin and Decker. Until the Jets get a qb, our offense will always look like sh*t.

Honestly, this whole Wilson is overrated crap is ridiculous. He's a solid qb who is on his way to being in the elite group.

Archived