Goodell's "How I'm ruining football address" press conference

Integrity28

At which point is he the most ripe though?

I don't think the negative effects of Goodell's tenure are going to set in until after he's gone. Oversaturation is a real, unavoidable consequence when you put decisions in the hand of a megalomaniac, but it takes a long time. The NFL had a really good thing going for itself, Goodell has set the table so that's essentially nonsustainable.

He does not even try to project that he is on some higher moral plain than the rest of his minions.  Old time commissioners were at least holier-than-thou, which is the way we expected them to behave.  A commissioner making 44 million a year is an obscenity to me.  It is clear only one thing matters to him. 

The fact that this is true lets you know that the NFL is morally bankrupt....

I don't think the negative effects of Goodell's tenure are going to set in until after he's gone. Oversaturation is a real, unavoidable consequence when you put decisions in the hand of a megalomaniac, but it takes a long time. The NFL had a really good thing going for itself, Goodell has set the table so that's essentially nonsustainable.

Good post.

Completely agree. Someone posted this is another thread but I love it. Deflate gate is the NFL's Jump the Shark moment.

It's not over but it's going to decline and will simply never be as good. The over saturation, the money grabs, price gauging, PSL's, ruining defense, too many penalties arbitrary punishments - All leading up to this disaster.

Goodell was a great commissioner for a long time, but the wheels are starting to fall of this train. I'd love to his ass fired.

What are you a relative or something? He has been an AWFUL commissioner, he is all about selling the NFL brand for every cent he can get....could care less about the actual gameplay....He is a scumbag lawyer bully

Good post.

Completely agree. Someone posted this is another thread but I love it. Deflate gate is the NFL's Jump the Shark moment.

It's not over but it's going to decline and will simply never be as good. The over saturation, the money grabs, price gauging, PSL's, ruining defense, too many penalties arbitrary punishments - All leading up to this disaster.

The basic tenant of Capitalism is competition. The day will come when a few "Trump Like" Billionaire's tired of being locked out of the League, an offshoot of the NFLPA, "Jerry Maguire" like agents and a few of the Cable Network Behemoths will decide there is a LOT of money to be had with a competing league. Trumps' problem was network coverage back in the day.... no longer... we are a 24/7 media society.

Players are tired of Goodell, Congress is tired of MLB & NFL(they want larger piece of the pie) 

Change and competition will come.

Good post.

Agreed. I think it's a combo of the first one and the problem with head injuries. Oversaturating sets the stage for an eventual decline in interest while the head injuries eventually filters down to the younger levels. The latter is going to take much longer because of states like Florida and Texas where this sport is a way of life, but things change over long enough periods of time. Rather than separating himself from his predecessor and tackling the issue head on, Goodell continued the practice of coverups and lies and really has just exacerbated the whole thing. That he chooses to mask it with this odd solution of fining players and boasting about concussion percentages is even more infuriating, because anyone with half a brain knows it's just a front so they can bury it enough to where the average fan doesn't really give a sh*t. Given that, over time all it really takes is for one generation of American parents to say "**** this" and that's it for the NFL.

The basic tenant of Capitalism is competition. The day will come when a few "Trump Like" Billionaire's tired of being locked out of the League, an offshoot of the NFLPA, "Jerry Maguire" like agents and a few of the Cable Network Behemoths will decide there is a LOT of money to be had with a competing league. Trumps' problem was network coverage back in the day.... no longer... we are a 24/7 media society.

Players are tired of Goodell, Congress is tired of MLB & NFL(they want larger piece of the pie) 

Change and competition will come.

I'm a free market libertarian. I truly hope you are right. A new league would be fantastic. UI have no loyalty to the NFL, I love the sport of football.

That said, the Golden Goose probably won't be killed for another 15 years unless a new, truly rival, league shows up.

He's making the NFL unwatchable. I've never cared less about the league than I do. It's got worse over the years too...used to be king, now it's a daytime drama joke of a league.

He's officially turned into the WWE.

I feel the same way.  But I've wondered if it's because the league becoming a joke or the Jets being a joke or simply that my life and priorities have changed.  Truth is, it's probably some combination of the three.

This year was the least football I've watched in well over a decade.  Missed some of the Jets and watched almost nothing non-Jets.

Agreed. I think it's a combo of the first one and the problem with head injuries. Oversaturating sets the stage for an eventual decline in interest while the head injuries eventually filters down to the younger levels. The latter is going to take much longer because of states like Florida and Texas where this sport is a way of life, but things change over long enough periods of time. Rather than separating himself from his predecessor and tackling the issue head on, Goodell continued the practice of coverups and lies and really has just exacerbated the whole thing. That he chooses to mask it with this odd solution of fining players and boasting about concussion percentages is even more infuriating, because anyone with half a brain knows it's just a front so they can bury it enough to where the average fan doesn't really give a sh*t. Given that, over time all it really takes is for one generation of American parents to say "**** this" and that's it for the NFL.

As a boxing fan, isn't that essentially what's happened?  At least at the heavyweight level?

As a boxing fan, isn't that essentially what's happened? At least at the heavyweight level?

It's one of the main factors. Absolutely. Americans historically supplied the fighters for that weight class, and once we went another way, the division died. And it's not coming back either.

People forget, it wasn't even 100 years ago that the most popular sports in the country were baseball, boxing, and horse racing. Times change. People change. Adapt or die.

Archived