Geno Smith ready for a “very, very vital offseason”

32EBoozer

The new Jets coaching staff will start holding meetings to plan for the offseason next week and the quarterback position is sure to be a topic for discussion.

Geno Smith said Saturday that he’s expecting to have competition in the form of a high draft pick or other acquisition in what’s a “very, very vital offseason” in terms of establishing himself as an NFL starter. One edge that Smith has on that competition is that he knows he’s going to be on the Jets in 2015. Smith said he’s started watching tapes of offensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s past offenses, some of which have used spread looks familiar to Smith from his college days.

“The familiarity with it will help,” Smith said, via the New York Post. “I don’t know what the ins-and-outs of his offense is, but I can’t wait to get back into it and learn it and develop timing with the guys. I’ll try and learn as much as I can without actually having the playbook.”

Smith said he doesn’t think this is his “last chance,” but there’s a good chance that three strikes will mean the same for Smith in football as they would in baseball.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/01/geno-smith-ready-for-a-very-very-vital-offseason/

I don't know how good or bad Geno will turnout, but it's too soon to write him off. He had no business starting in his rookie year, but the great Rex Ryan inexplicably inserts Sanchez in the 4th quarter of a meaningless pre-season game behind a 3rd string o-line causing a season ending shoulder injury.  Thus forcing Geno as the starting QB when he had no business being one.

Statistically Geno improved in his 2nd season, especially in the final quarter of the season. What I think is the prudent plan for QB is bringing in a veteran (Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Hoyer, etc..) and let there be a true QB competition, not a sham like last season.

Come on guys. Let's give him a break. Keep in mind it wasn't very long ago QB's were holding a clipboard on the sidelines for 4-5 years before being allowed to start. I wonder how many QB's would have been great but have been dumped before they had a chance to develop. I hope that doesn't happen to Geno.

I don't know how good or bad Geno will turnout, but it's too soon to write him off. He had no business starting in his rookie year, but the great Rex Ryan inexplicably inserts Sanchez in the 4th quarter of a meaningless pre-season game behind a 3rd string o-line causing a season ending shoulder injury.  Thus forcing Geno as the starting QB when he had no business being one.

Statistically Geno improved in his 2nd season, especially in the final quarter of the season. What I think is the prudent plan for QB is bringing in a veteran (Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Hoyer, etc..) and let there be a true QB competition, not a sham like last season.

I agree, not ready to give up yet. He did improve in almost every statistical category, QBR, TD-int ratio, completion percentage, etc. If he continues to improve he could at least be serviceable. 

I don't know how good or bad Geno will turnout, but it's too soon to write him off. He had no business starting in his rookie year, but the great Rex Ryan inexplicably inserts Sanchez in the 4th quarter of a meaningless pre-season game behind a 3rd string o-line causing a season ending shoulder injury. Thus forcing Geno as the starting QB when he had no business being one.

Jet fans give up on everyone too easily. Cumberland sucks & Amaro was a rookie, Ivory can't catch a cold out of the backfield & CJ2 played like CJ zero.

The Oline was weak on the right side with Colon & Breno, Decker played with a bad hammy for the whole year & the defense would give up any lead we might have had before halftime.

I have no clue what the future holds for Geno, but I don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Steve Young has said many times it takes longer than 2 years to be a good QB. Guys like Luck are outliers.

Show me another young QB that has had a perfect QB rating on the road vs a decent Miami defense.

You can't take that away from him & just dismiss it that Miami gave up. Every player on that team knew that their coach was coming back. He's a cheap backup if that's how it ends up. Or maybe Chan will actually put in a system that takes advantage of his skill set.

I agree, not ready to give up yet. He did improve in almost every statistical category, QBR, TD-int ratio, completion percentage, etc. If he continues to improve he could at least be serviceable. 

Considering we wont have a QB in the draft, what choice do we have?  I say we give the kid some weapons, a better OC with better design and use the draft to get younger everywhere.  Free agency QB's?  Bring back Sanchez, bring in Matt Moore? I think Ill pass.

The new Jets coaching staff will start holding meetings to plan for the offseason next week and the quarterback position is sure to be a topic for discussion.

Geno Smith said Saturday that he’s expecting to have competition in the form of a high draft pick or other acquisition in what’s a “very, very vital offseason” in terms of establishing himself as an NFL starter. One edge that Smith has on that competition is that he knows he’s going to be on the Jets in 2015. Smith said he’s started watching tapes of offensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s past offenses, some of which have used spread looks familiar to Smith from his college days.

“The familiarity with it will help,” Smith said, via the New York Post. “I don’t know what the ins-and-outs of his offense is, but I can’t wait to get back into it and learn it and develop timing with the guys. I’ll try and learn as much as I can without actually having the playbook.”

Smith said he doesn’t think this is his “last chance,” but there’s a good chance that three strikes will mean the same for Smith in football as they would in baseball.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/01/geno-smith-ready-for-a-very-very-vital-offseason/

I hope Geno puts up JJ Watt numbers. 

Considering we wont have a QB in the draft, what choice do we have?  I say we give the kid some weapons, a better OC with better design and use the draft to get younger everywhere.  Free agency QB's?  Bring back Sanchez, bring in Matt Moore? I think Ill pass.

Let's hope the Jets don't do something stupid like trade up to get a QB in the draft. If they do then I'll know the new FO group is no better than the one we just dumped.

This guy needs to be cut. If the Patriots win tonight at 10:15, would make me feel much better if Geno is gone at 10:20.

SAR I

How much better?

wat if we all got together and plastered his house w / posters that are all U SUCK and then hell know that he suck

Over reacting a little to what SAR said?  Don't you think?

Archived