Aaron Rodgers, NFL MVP: Your thoughts.

Villain The Foe

Loved Rodgers, but to see what JJ Watt did this year was just a rarity. We all know the numbers so there's no need, but with him being such a disrupter there's plenty of plays that have gone south for an offense simply because of his presence that there's simply no stat to record. He caught 3 TD's this year for crying out loud.

Now, Rodgers had a great year, but there were better years accomplished by a QB in the past. Rodgers himself has had a better year than this. Watt's performance can not only be argued as being the best year by a 3-4 DE, but as a defender overall. If JJ Watts performance this year only deserved just over a 3rd of the MVP votes that Rodgers got, then honestly, what the hell is a defender in the NFL do to even get half the votes let alone actually win MVP of the league? 

Rodgers winning it could be argued either way, but Watt getting just 13 of the votes while Rodgers received 31 is simply laughable. I personally think that Watt is the most valuable football player in the NFL because of his dominance as a defender in an offense driven league. Many people will look at team records, but that is totally subjective because team performance is not in the sole hands of one individual. Some people would say that the QB position shares more of that responsibility, which is true..for the Packers, not true for the Texans. Looking at their individual performance is more objective, and JJ Watt was simply incredible this year. 

I wouldn't say that he got robbed of the accolade, but getting just a 3rd of the votes Rodgers received shows total bias and its a shame that such a performance by a football legend in the making doesn't garner the respect that it should. 

Enjoy the Superbowl everyone. 

Agree on ALL points. An above average year for a QB vs. an ALL-TIME Great season for a defensive player who also scored everyway possible! Pick 6, Strip Sack Fumble Recovery, Receiving and Rushing TD's

Add to that 20.5 sacks while dealing with constant double and triple teams as well as 90 Tackles and 40 something for loss of yards.

It's a shame!!

Watt's the best player in the league, imo. The MVP is consistently the dopiest award, but if you're defining it as the award given to the guy his team would collapse without, you'd go Rodgers 1, Brady 2, and probably Ben Roethlisberger 3.

throw Luck in there as well

Watt's the best player in the league, imo. The MVP is consistently the dopiest award, but if you're defining it as the award given to the guy his team would collapse without, you'd go Rodgers 1, Brady 2, and probably Ben Roethlisberger 3.

I agree. I also tend to be on the side of not awarding it to players of nonplayoff teams.

Agreed that Watt was amazing, but in Rodgers, we are witnessing a guy who is on track to settle the GOAT argument at QB if he keeps this up and grabs one more ring. 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm

It's not just QB rating.  He leads or is at least top 3 in almost every significant career category there is.  That's going to buy you a little extra weight in the vote even though it shouldn't.

with Watt Texans didn't make playoffs, without they wouldn't make playoffs

Rodgers is clear choice

If this position is the reason then the ultimate goal is the Super Bowl right? We can easily say that Tom Brady's stats were in the same ball park, then why does he just get 1 vote yet is playing in the Super Bowl, the only game that actually matters. 

I never liked that playoff reason because of that fact. If the playoffs is better than the reg. season, then the Superbowl is better than both. 

If this position is the reason then the ultimate goal is the Super Bowl right? We can easily say that Tom Brady's stats were in the same ball park, then why does he just get 1 vote yet is playing in the Super Bowl, the only game that actually matters. 

I never liked that playoff reason because of that fact. If the playoffs is better than the reg. season, then the Superbowl is better than both. 

Maybe cause Tommy is a system QB and cheats like hell

Even if Brady were legitimately in contention, I think Deflate-Gate would have scared off enough votes this year.  But what I find amazing is how commonplace 4,000 yards passing has become.  11 QBs hit the mark this season.  What stands out with Rodgers tough is his 38-5 TD-INT ration.  That's insane and what distances him from the rest.

Trivia Question:  Without looking, name the one QB who had a higher QB rating (and also Yds/Attempt) than Rodgers this season.

Even if Brady were legitimately in contention, I think Deflate-Gate would have scared off enough votes this year.  But what I find amazing is how commonplace 4,000 yards passing has become.  11 QBs hit the mark this season.  What stands out with Rodgers tough is his 38-5 TD-INT ration.  That's insane and what distances him from the rest.

Trivia Question:  Without looking, name the one QB who had a higher QB rating (and also Yds/Attempt) than Rodgers this season.

romo ?  no google

They should just have an MVP for both sides of the ball. It's probably never going to a non-qb again anyway.

I agree, if a defensive guy has such a dominate season yet can only garner a 3rd of the votes then they need to have MVP's for both sides of the football. Watt is such a joy to watch. Dude's game is masterful. 

Agreed to an extent. Watt's the best player, but not most valuable. Take him off the Texans and they're worse, but I'm not sure how much worse. As it stands, the most valuable player in the league in today's game is 99/100 times going to be a QB, just because of how the league is currently structured. There's no other position that has that great of an impact.  I'd prefer if they change the name of the award, but it's just not going to happen.  At least he's going to string together a few more DPOY awards on his route to Canton. 

Deflate gate aside, my point was simply that if you're not going to give Watt the MVP because the Texans weren't in the playoffs then cool. Watt only getting a 3rd of the votes is a crime. 

Agreed that Watt was amazing, but in Rodgers, we are witnessing a guy who is on track to settle the GOAT argument at QB if he keeps this up and grabs one more ring. 

It's not just QB rating.  He leads or is at least top 3 in almost every significant career category there is.  That's going to buy you a little extra weight in the vote even though it shouldn't.

Generally if a QB doesn't win it a RB or W/R I think the last defensive player to win was Lawrence Taylor.. Rogers will never catch Favre in yardage or TD's Hell he needs another 17,655 yds to catch Vinny..LOL I think Rogers is a  HOF QB but he's not going to be top 3 IMO top 10 maybe..

Deflate gate aside, my point was simply that if you're not going to give Watt the MVP because the Texans weren't in the playoffs then cool. Watt only getting a 3rd of the votes is a crime. 

Not sure it's a crime, Watt is on his way to being an all-time great, but you take him off the Texans and they go from 9-7 to what, 7-9 or maybe 6-10??  Take Rodgers off the current Packers and they sh*t-tank. I would say Watt is the best player at his position in comparison to the rest of the league, but being the most valuable player and not the best player award, I agree with Rodgers. I wouldn't be upset if Watt won it, but I understand the voting.

Not sure it's a crime, Watt is on his way to being an all-time great, but you take him off the Texans and they go from 9-7 to what, 7-9 or maybe 6-10??  Take Rodgers off the current Packers and they sh*t-tank. I would say Watt is the best player at his position in comparison to the rest of the league, but being the most valuable player and not the best player award, I agree with Rodgers. I wouldn't be upset if Watt won it, but I understand the voting.

That what I just bolded is exactly what I mentioned in my original statement. Its subjective and I understand it. But the man had one of the greatest seasons in the history of the entire sport by a defender and he can't even get respect for it. Im not saying that he should have absolutely won the award hands down, I'm simply saying that 13 votes should be considered a crime. Of course not a literal crime, but in respects to his performance this year, it was pretty much looked over.

Think about it. You talk about what would happen if you took him off the Texans right? Put him on any other team in the league then, what team could you put him on other than the texans that would warrant him actual consideration then? For all that, simply do not make defenders eligible for the award, because there's forever going to be an excuse why a QB should have gotten the accolade over a guy who just registered possibly the greatest season by a defender. Just make it solely an offensive award, it practically is anyway, just make it official. Watt getting just 13 votes cannot be justified to me, it just can't. 

Then just make him the MVP every year then. Rodgers can surely still be the GOAT without other players achievements being dismissed. The award is the most valuable player of the year, not the most valuable player in his generation or in the history of the NFL. You dont diminish one player for the sake of putting another on some pedestal. 

I would have voted for Watt but that's a award that usually goes to QB's.. Did you noticed most players gave out the awards with a pretty actress or model and they send Joe Willie out with Troy Aikman..LOL

Dont; think Troy wasn't hoping Joe had a couple before they walked out.  

Watts should of gotten it.

I agree, but even if he didnt he sure as hell should have gotten more than just 13 votes. Thats just ridiculous. If I was Watt, I wouldnt be pissed that I came up short to Rodgers, I'd be pissed that I got the amount of votes that I received for such a dominate performance. Thats just a crap job by the voters. 

I agree, but even if he didnt he sure as hell should have gotten more than just 13 votes. Thats just ridiculous. If I was Watt, I wouldnt be pissed that I came up short to Rodgers, I'd be pissed that I got the amount of votes that I received for such a dominate performance. Thats just a crap job by the voters. 

He will take out his anger against QB's next season..Hmmm do they play Green Bay by any chance??

They should just have an MVP for both sides of the ball. It's probably never going to a non-qb again anyway.

Agreed.  

with Watt Texans didn't make playoffs, without they wouldn't make playoffs

Rodgers is clear choice

Yeah, who'd you rather have on your team?  I think that settles the argument.

True

That what I just bolded is exactly what I mentioned in my original statement. Its subjective and I understand it. But the man had one of the greatest seasons in the history of the entire sport by a defender and he can't even get respect for it. Im not saying that he should have absolutely won the award hands down, I'm simply saying that 13 votes should be considered a crime. Of course not a literal crime, but in respects to his performance this year, it was pretty much looked over.

Think about it. You talk about what would happen if you took him off the Texans right? Put him on any other team in the league then, what team could you put him on other than the texans that would warrant him actual consideration then? For all that, simply do not make defenders eligible for the award, because there's forever going to be an excuse why a QB should have gotten the accolade over a guy who just registered possibly the greatest season by a defender. Just make it solely an offensive award, it practically is anyway, just make it official. Watt getting just 13 votes cannot be justified to me, it just can't. 

He's not going unrecognized, he won the DPOY award in a landslide, so clearly people understand how phenomenal he is. The way that the league is currently structured makes the QB the most valuable position in all of sports, which only makes sense to give the MVP award to the best QB in the league.  I understand how amazing Watt is, but there's almost no season a defender can have that will make me feel they're more valuable to their team than Rodgers, Brady et al are to theirs.  

He's not going unrecognized, he won the DPOY award in a landslide, so clearly people understand how phenomenal he is. The way that the league is currently structured makes the QB the most valuable position in all of sports, which only makes sense to give the MVP award to the best QB in the league.  I understand how amazing Watt is, but there's almost no season a defender can have that will make me feel they're more valuable to their team than Rodgers, Brady et al are to theirs.  

Winning DPOTY in a landslide doesnt recognize the type of season that he had as a football player, not just a defender. Thats the problem. Defensive players have been designated to a box and the offensive players are entitled to everything else. Watt didnt simply have some sort of excellent defensive year. He had a year for the football ages disregarding no position on either side of the ball. If defensive players are only worth of winning defensive player of the year awards then simply stop allowing them to be eligible "in theory" for most valuable player award. 

The performance we seen from Watt this year you see once every 15 to 20 years. If the league is structured that way then when it comes to awards just making it offense only. I totally understand what you're saying Broadway. What I'm saying is...Don't nominate someone that has absolutely no shot at winning. Thats all I'm saying brother. 

Archived