Lost in the Controversy Over the Worst Playcall of All-time

The Troll

...is the fact that the Patriots got away with a blatant and game altering penalty. On the Seahawks penultimate drive, the Pats' DB fell down and left the WR wide open for what could have been at least a 30 yard gain, as no one else was around. Instead, the DB reaches out and trips the receiver. No call, of course. The Seahawks go three and out and then New England just marches right down the field on them. But, it just wouldn't be a Patriots Super Bowl without a little help from the officials.

...is the fact that the Patriots got away with a blatant and game altering penalty. On the Seahawks penultimate drive, the Pats' DB fell down and left the WR wide open for what could have been at least a 30 yard gain, as no one else was around. Instead, the DB reaches out and trips the receiver. No call, of course. The Seahawks go three and out and then New England just marches right down the field on them. But, it just wouldn't be a Patriots Super Bowl without a little help from the officials.

Agreed.

It's also lost that Bill Belichick didn't use any timeouts after the Kearse catch and let all the time run off the clock for Brady had Lynch busted that extra 2 feet on his last carry.

SAR I

Agreed.

It's also lost that Bill Belichick didn't use any timeouts after the Kearse catch and let all the time run off the clock for Brady had Lynch busted that extra 2 feet on his last carry.

SAR I

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this play.

If Akeem Ayers doesn't make a great tackle by wrapping with his arms, Lynch strolls into the endzone and Seattle wins.

No one to blame but Pete Carroll. Dumbest call in history. 26 seconds and a timeout on the half yard line you can run three run plays.

Weird call, but the game was lost because NE's offense flat out beat the "Legion of Boom" with their quickness.  Brady was fantastic, but in my book Edelman was their MVP. That friggin' guy is an unbelievable player.  Took a huge shot from Chancelor and just bounced up.

No one to blame but Pete Carroll. Dumbest call in history. 26 seconds and a timeout on the half yard line you can run three run plays.

plus IF u are gonna be a turdfool, throw a fade, instead of in the damn MIDDLE where it can be deflected by a Def player, a OLineman, a sack to take the run out of play, it can hit WRs hands and be caught be defense or it can INT's like it was..

Weird call, but the game was lost because NE's offense flat out beat the "Legion of Boom" with their quickness.  Brady was fantastic, but in my book Edelman was their MVP. That friggin' guy is an unbelievable player.  Took a huge shot from Chancelor and just bounced up.

huh? game was lost cause of call at end... what you say above is reason game was close and u r right.. but even if seahawks were worst team of all time during 99% of game, , the game was lost by that idiotic call...

Agreed.

SAR I

That was so dumb, we were all laughing at him for it and then the unthinkable happenned.  Doesn't make it not dumb though, if Seattle does what it should and grinds it in, Pats have no time left to try for a FG

That was so dumb, we were all laughing at him for it and then the unthinkable happenned.  Doesn't make it not dumb though, if Seattle does what it should and grinds it in, Pats have no time left to try for a FG

I was laughing that they did not let Lynch score on the play before, that would have given them enough time to try to get a field goal. 

I was laughing that they did not let Lynch score on the play before, that would have given them enough time to try to get a field goal. 

I honestly thought they were going to.. Would've given 50 seconds and 2 timeout to just get a FG...

Lucky for Belicheat, Bevell happenned

I honestly thought they were going to.. Would've given 50 seconds and 2 timeout to just get a FG...

Lucky for Belicheat, Bevell happenned

Give Butler some credit for fuk's sake.  He doesn't make a tremendous read on Wilson's throw, Lockette walks in.  The kid makes one of the best clutch plays ever.

Give Butler some credit for fuk's sake.  He doesn't make a tremendous read on Wilson's throw, Lockette walks in.  The kid makes one of the best clutch plays ever.

DB made a good play.. fact

WR and QB made a bad play.. fact

None of the above should've had an opportunity to occur.. also fact

If Akeem Ayers doesn't make a great tackle by wrapping with his arms, Lynch strolls into the endzone and Seattle wins.

Agreed.

Congrats on the Championship. Great season for you guys.

SAR I

DB made a good play.. fact

WR and QB made a bad play.. fact

None of the above should've had an opportunity to occur.. also fact

lol  Yes, counselor.

Fact is, that's football. One guy beats another.  

I hear what you're saying, though.  If we had lost it in that same manner, I'd most likely be on ice in some coroner's office.  That is if the volcano flames had not rendered me a complete cinder.

Seriously, the refs???

Come one, Jet fans need to stop blaming the refs for everything that does not go in the way of their rooting interest. Its sad.

I don't blame the Refs.

I question the competitive integrity of the entire league at this stage.

I'm not convinced there isn't some measure of WWF going in the business (business first) that is the NFL.

At the very least, it's obvious some franchises (including and especially the Pats) get preferential treatment at every level of the NFL administration, from Refs on up.

Easy to prove, lets see if the NFL has the balls to suspend the Super Bowl Victor Head Coach for a year for cheating.

Anything less, and there you go.

Kyle Wilson would've timed it so he could make a waistband tackle in the endzone after the catch.

Also lost on this was the fact that the Seahawks went offsides when the Patriots were at the half-yard line. That wasn't even remotely a gimme play to end the game and cost the Seahawks even the faintest chance of a miracle comeback. The entire thing was a mess.

"A mess" is a good start to describe it. I have been saying that the game ended like a Tarantino movie...stupidity just flying all over the place, and nothing made any sense.

Back to the original post...during the drive when the Pats scored their third TD, either just before or just after the 3rd & 3 neutral zone infraction, there was a flagrant trip on a short pass play to Edelman with a big gain as a result. Michaels and Collins worth didn't mention it, but I think the director saw it, because they cut short a replay just before they showed it.

But they let the teams play after the snap, which I prefer. Go at each other, and except for the stupidity that rivals stuff the Jets might have pulled off over the last few years to finish the game, it was really a fun game to watch for the first 59 minutes and 39 seconds...

The refs let them play for the most part. I was surprised they called a holding call on the pats.

I agree.  The were penalties that could have been called on both sides but the non PI call really went under the radar.  I still don't understand why they didn't call it.  I guess the WR didn't sell it enough.... 

lol  Yes, counselor.

Fact is, that's football. One guy beats another.  

I hear what you're saying, though.  If we had lost it in that same manner, I'd most likely be on ice in some coroner's office.  That is if the volcano flames had not rendered me a complete cinder.

That would be two of us, lol.  This was so bad, Green Bay is probably saying "damn, at least we didn't lose like THAT!" 

This is the NFL, how dare you praise wrapping and driving? Everyone knows that diving at a guys feet looks so much cooler and can actually result in a tackle almost 43% of the time. :/

Congrats TX.

Archived