Do you view Jets 2015 as a.............

SouthernJet

- Year when we rebuild, no playoff hopes,  with new playbooks on both Offense and Defense

- Year where we make a push for playoffs even though we have new playbooks

- Year where, we meld old system w/new system to match talent and we make a legit Playoff run?

Any other thoughts/comments/observations? Thanks......... (hopefully this thread is deemed 'sponge worthy' ;)

It'll be a year where Bowles is going to have to pick some weeds and install his own culture. The team has been on vacation for six years as it relates to discipline. The first time someone gets yelled at for missing an assignment is going to be a shock for them that might result in a heart attack. While it sounds like Bowles has a good rapport with players, it'll be interesting to see how quickly people fall in line.

Kind of depends how the offseason goes, but right now I lean towards the first. This team has a lot of weaknesses on both sides of the ball and lacks a quarterback good enough to compensate for those weaknesses.

My hope is that we see early returns that Maccagnan has an eye for talent and can build a winner here, and watch the team play disciplined football under Bowles. If they can maintain the ability to play hard under tough circumstances that was the major perk to Ryan on top of being disciplined, all the better.

hopefully the players will all buy into Bowles plan and are willing to work hard for an unknown commodity after 6 years of having a sugar daddy as head coach.

I expect them to be competitive. And it's important they get off to a good start on the season.

- Year when we rebuild, no playoff hopes,  with new playbooks on both Offense and Defense

- Year where, we meld old system w/new system to match talent and we make a legit Playoff run?

Any other thoughts/comments/observations? Thanks......... (hopefully this thread is deemed 'sponge worthy' ;)

2015 is absolutely and unquestionably a rebuilding year.

That does not mean that there is "no hope" for the playoffs.  Just means it's a year of transition, change, restocking and transformation.

2015 should be a competitive season where Bowles evaluates his talent, fills holes with newly acquired talent, and most importantly, makes his decision for the QB position for his year 2-5.

Too early to say. We have some good pieces in place and two healthy players returning to a sh*tty secondary that we're probably adding to on top of that, so I think that unit will wind up being much stronger by default. Both lines are good, (o-line turned a corner to above-average once Aboushi stepped in), and the offense actually has some playmakers. We have a high enough pick that we should hopefully land at least 2 guys who can contribute instantly in some capacity, and a ton of cap room to fill in a couple gaps. I'm worried about the LBs but that is one area that Bowles can probably handle just fine.

But, end of the day, if we come in relying on Geno again, we're ****ed. If we go in relying on Geno and a rookie competing with each other, we're ****ed. Have to bring in a veteran to hold down the fort if we have any chance at anything next year. Otherwise it's 2017 or bust.

As an aside, some positions are going to be really interesting this year. Lots of spots where there's a ton of young depth but some question marks on top end talent, and lots of spots where there's zero depth.

There are a ton of wide receivers on the roster right now, for example. Two are roster locks (Decker and Kerley) and a third is a starter if he doesn't get cut (Harvin). Assuming they add another WR if Harvin is cut and don't if he isn't, there are going to be five guys who were on the roster at some point last season (Graham, Owusu, Hakim, Powell, Enunwa) and a sixth in Evans who was a 4th round pick and spent a year on IR competing for two or three roster spots in camp. If they add one and keep Harvin, that's six guys for one or two spots. It's not outstanding depth, but if you've got the best two of those six as your #5 and #6 wideouts it's not that bad.

Corner is going to be similar with worse top end talent. Milliner, Walls, and Williams all started at some point last season and McDougle is talented even though he may be made of glass. You've got to imagine they're going to bring in a FA corner or two and/or draft some guys, and all of a sudden the depth there doesn't look too bad (even if the starter situation is a mess).

Guard you've got Aboushi and Winters who have started and Dozier who was a 4th round selection last year.

Outside linebacker has an interesting combo if aging (Pace, Babin) and young (Enemkpali, Reilly) depth - plus Coples if you want to count him though hopefully Bowles just uses him as a rotational end.

Then certain spots pending FA are just completely empty - NT has pretty much nobody until/unless Snacks is brought back, ILB is just Harris, S has a couple of guys who were benched at points last year in Allen and Pryor and a fringe roster guy in Miles, RB is basically just Ivory, QB is basically just Geno. Lots of work needs to be done.

I think for the most part, it'll be about rebuilding.  But, given the soft schedule, the talent already on defense, and the amount of money Woody is going to have to spend this offseason to comply with the new rules, I think the Jets will be in the playoff discussion for the #6 seed (or #7 seed if they expand the playoffs) heading into the later stages of the season.  

It'll be a year where Bowles is going to have to pick some weeds and install his own culture. The team has been on vacation for six years as it relates to discipline. The first time someone gets yelled at for missing an assignment is going to be a shock for them that might result in a heart attack. While it sounds like Bowles has a good rapport with players, it'll be interesting to see how quickly people fall in line.

With the vacuum provided by your boy idzik where he depleted the roster further down, Richardson is the only one true promising player coming out of the draft and Decker in FA during your dummy tenure.  This will be a rebuilding year with no playoff hopes.  One can only imagine if your wish had come true Idzik/Bevel.  :head:

the quote above is sadly true and the MAIN reason (other than QB issues which a good QB would have masked bad discipline) we have flondered

Definitely not a rebuild IMO, we have a very young team, we're going to have some solid depth as we start the season. Really hoping we can get at least 4 players from the draft and 2-3 players in FA that start and we should be pretty successful. Need OLBs and another CB. Percy is probably gone so I'm hoping we grab Cooper, Dorial Green-Beckham or Jalaen Strong in the draft. 

Oh and did I mention QB? I'm hoping Gailey can help Geno throw 25 TDs and maybe 12 TOs. That would be Ideal

All in all, I think in the beginning, we may be a little shaky but towards the end, I think we'll finish strong around 8-8, with Bowles second year being a legit playoff run. 

I don't know what to expect as of yet.  I would like to see who exactly will be on our 2015 roster before making any judgements.  

We have alot of money to spend so some significant moves can come where we can make a legit playoff run.  Everything will obviously boil down to QB play at the end of the day though.

If we're not in the playoffs making a push for the Lombardi, then it is by default a rebuilding year.

Any fan that accepts the sales pitch of a lost year, before it begins, is a sucker. "Rebuilding" is a marketing ploy.

With the cap space, draft position and new coaching/personnel we've added, there's zero excuse for talking about rebuilding once the season starts. Rebuild in the summer. Start winning in the Fall.

Rebuilding year for sure. We have major holes. That said, 8-8 isn't impossible. 10-6 and a playoff birth probably are though.

With all the cap money we have we should be able to sign at the very least 3-4 immediate impact free agents along with signing our core guys who are free agents and a decent draft we will be ok. 

My expectations as we enter the offseason are:

- A diversified approach using our cap space where we address
multiple areas of our team.  We don't need to make a "splash"
and sign one big name player and neglect our other needs

- A much better "hit rate" in the draft and the UDFA market.
With a real personnel GM in place I expect Maccagnan and his staff
(Hogan & Heimerdinger) to use their scouting experience to
eliminate the likes of Gholston, Wilson & Hill from our drafts 

- I expect our team to be more detailed oriented, disciplined and
better prepared.  With Bowles being a "Parcells disciple" I expect
him and the staff to push the players to be their best.  No more
"gassing their heads up" where they think they've arrived and don't
have to continue to improve

Playoffs. This is already one of the youngest rosters in the league. With money to spend, a top FA class to spend it on, and a high pick there is ample opportunity to build this team up quickly.

Bowles and Mcaganan (sp?) have been set up to hit the ground running. Sprinkle in some of the usual first year HC Magic...

Geno will be 100x better with a new QB Coach and a decent OC in place. 

Can't coach away suck, and he sucks. 

Thank god there is a coach with a clue now that will, in no way go into camp with Geno not having to beat out one, if not two guys better then him.

Geno's time is done.      You can try to come up with reasons he is not but when two other QBs are brought in you will see Bowles agrees. 

Archived