What do you do if the top player on the board at 6 is a dlineman?

Beerfish

I was just doing another Fanspeak mock draft and at 6 both QB's were gone as was Cooper. Scheff (sp?) was there but so was the by some the top rated player in the draft, Leonard Williams.  If you have another sheldon richardson or better quality guy there what do you do?  (Let's assume you can't trade down.)  In my mock I took him.  Things change so much over a short period of time in this league that if you pass on the best player there then often a few years down the road you regret it. 

Edge rusher is a strong possibility. And the WR position hasn't finished shaking out yet - White and Parker both have better physical profiles than Cooper and were really productive on a per game basis.

As a side note, it'd be pretty surprising if Williams is still on the board. Mostly him getting past both Jacksonville and Oakland - especially since neither really is likely to draft a QB.

Truth be told, I would trade out of the first all together if our guy is not there and pick up another 2nd and 2 3rds and a 4th if possible.  This draft is very deep in talent and we have a lot of holes and a very deep Free Agent class and a ton of cap space.  We could get 1st round talent in the 2nd and pick up more picks

Truth be told, I would TRY trade out of the first all together if our guy is not there and pick up another 2nd and 2 3rds and a 4th if possible.  This draft is very deep in talent and we have a lot of holes and a very deep Free Agent class and a ton of cap space.  We could get 1st round talent in the 2nd and pick up more picks

Fixed; there is no guarantee you will find a trading partner willing to give up that kind of package.  If you can't trade the pick for equal value, WHO do you select?  

It's been four days since the super bowl. There is no board. This stuff is for later. And it's kind of overblown too. The first round is simple. The important thing is to hit. And it's not hard to tell. One year and you know who's gonna play ten. Whether you end up with a Ferguson or a Revis when you hit comes down a lot to luck. What you can at least consistently do well is placing guys in that range. This if A B and C are gone do you take D stuff is all just water cooler nonsense, especially this soon. Keep it boring.

It's been four days since the super bowl. There is no board. This stuff is for later. And it's kind of overblown too. The first round is simple. The important thing is to hit. And it's not hard to tell. One year and you know who's gonna play ten. Whether you end up with a Ferguson or a Revis when you hit comes down a lot to luck. What you can at least consistently do well is placing guys in that range. This if A B and C are gone do you take D stuff is all just water cooler nonsense, especially this soon. Keep it boring.

Don't be such an utter moron., but then again most of the posts you come up with are snarky, condescending or moronic.  GTFO and back to the main boards if you don't want to talk draft.  The question is very simple, do you have an answer or not?  Or do you follow the draft at all?  4 days since the super bowl and about 4 months since the jets have anything to even talk about.

There is always one in the crowd....this is a draft forum and here we talk draft it not that hard....anyway, Cleveland has 2 1st rounders and Mariota could fall to us where Philly may show interest for Chip Kelly is high on the QB he once recruited

Don't be such an utter moron., but then again most of the posts you come up with are snarky, condescending or moronic. GTFO and back to the main boards if you don't want to talk draft. The question is very simple, do you have an answer or not? Or do you follow the draft at all? 4 days since the super bowl and about 4 months since the jets have anything to even talk about.

Of course the question is simple. If one guy is better than Sheldon Richardson and the alternative has a 50% shot of outright busting then you can't pass for anything but a quarterback, both of which are gone. It's a contrived scenario with a correct answer that doesn't have anything to do with the draft.

I don't see a scenario where Both QBs. white, cooper, parker, Ray, and Flowers (who i think will surpass Schmurff in no time) are all off the board.

that said, I'm 100% behind letting harrison walk.

How do you feel about resigning Ellis ?

Of course the question is simple. If one guy is better than Sheldon Richardson and the alternative has a 50% shot of outright busting then you can't pass for anything but a quarterback, both of which are gone. It's a contrived scenario with a correct answer that doesn't have anything to do with the draft.

LOL every scenaro is a contrived scenario.  The answer has everything to do with the draft because as much as you may like to think that every team takes bpa in the draft that simply is not the case.  That is why the value of QB's and LT's get elevated each and every year.  Premium positions.

At least I got an answer out of you, a boring one but one none the less.  You take the Dlineman in this scenario.  Thanks for participating.

I'm fiine with it. He'll come at league min and play in rotation on 30 fronts. I think this team will play a lot of 40, so he's cheap depth.

I tend to agree. I am in favor of allowing Harrison to leave or slapping a transition tag on him and trading him. Harrison is an excellent run stuffer, but he'll have to fall into a sack. Ellis has the potential(yes, that dirty word)to be solid at both. Ellis has Kris Jenkins type talent.

I tend to agree. I am in favor of allowing Harrison to leave or slapping a transition tag on him and trading him. Harrison is an excellent run stuffer, but he'll have to fall into a sack. Ellis has the potential(yes, that dirty word)to be solid at both. Ellis has Kris Jenkins type talent.

Agreed on keeping Ellis over Snacks.

If I had to pick would take either Scherff, Cooper (If available) or Kevin White which will help us get younger on Defense, but that depends on what we do in free agency I would imagine.  I would like Hau'oli Jamora OLB- Washington in the 2nd or 3rd

Comes a point where BPA just won't do. That is when you go to Next BPA and bite the billet. NBPA.

If we pass on Sherff who is a beast and sure thing for another mediocre or worse edge rusher I'm gonna puke. Everybody knows everything about pass rushers I remember on JI people jizzing over Melvin fn Ingram. He of 6 total sacks in 3 fn seasons.

Enough of the nonsense just draft Scherff. I'm seeing mocks where he goes as high as 5 to the Redskins so the "you doana draft ugh guard wit ugh top ten pick" garbage is going out the window.

There's so much time between now and the draft. 

Last year everybody loved Teddy Bridgewater before he dropped like a lead balloon. Winston and Mariota both have question marks. There are scenarios where they go 1-2 and where both are on the board when the Jets select but they've fallen enough that the Jets pass on both.

Leonard Williams seems like a pretty safe bet to go high, though he has some injury issues. Shariff Floyd is an example of a guy who fell a ton more than expected as a DL. I'd say there's a good chance Williams is gone in the top 5, but who again there's a long way to go.

Randy Gregory and Shane Ray are also pretty solid bets to get drafted high, though to an extent it depends on their measurables. The projections for both are pretty heavily based on them being physical freaks - which they show up as on tape. But both have also been listed pretty light and have struggled setting the edge - if either comes into the combine sub-250 that's not going to be good. They could also pull a Maybin where they put on too much weight and don't test well. Height could be a question for Ray too. Still think Gregory probably goes top 5 (would be awesome if he slips to 6) and Ray top 5-10. Both look like special athletes and pass rushing comes at a premium.

Some people think Scherff would be best at guard. If that's his projection he's going to go in the 11-20 range, though he could also easily go top 5-10 if a team likes him as a tackle. Those Iowa tackles tend to go lower than their initial projection too. A guy like Peat or Flowers could fly up boards - though I have a feeling that won't happen.

The receiver situation is going to be an interesting one to shake out too. Cooper was insanely productive and is either so smooth that he looks slower than he is and so muscular that he's heavier than he looks, or he's going to measure out like Marqise Lee did last year minus the injury issues and there's going to be a debate about how he's so productive that he's underrated or he just doesn't have the physical traits to dominate the way he did in college. There's a chance White and/or Parker who both have more prototypical receiver frames leapfrog him.

Right now the nightmare scenario is probably both QB's, Gregory, and Cooper off the board with Ray or Williams left. If it's Williams you're getting arguably the top player in the draft at a position of no need whatsoever but may have trade down options since he's far and away the best player left. But there are enough teams ahead of the Jets that could use a team like Williams that, in a scenario where he falls to 6, there's probably a medical/off field issue and he continues to slide anyway. And if it's Ray then you're getting a potentially fringe top 10 guy at a big position of need who may or may not be a questionable scheme fit in terms of edge setting ability (not sure how much of a premium Bowles puts on it vs. Ryan) - I don't really see an issue with drafting him though. 

Where it really gets sticky is if both QB's fall, Scherff projects as a guard (though if the Jets take a tackle at 6 he's probably playing guard this year anyway), and the top 5 shakes out with something like Williams, Gregory, Ray, Cooper, White. Then the Jets are left to swing for the fences at QB or take the third WR/pass rusher in the draft. But we've got a long time to see where things shake out.

If we pass on Sherff who is a beast and sure thing for another mediocre or worse edge rusher I'm gonna puke. Everybody knows everything about pass rushers I remember on JI people jizzing over Melvin fn Ingram. He of 6 total sacks in 3 fn seasons.

Enough of the nonsense just draft Scherff. I'm seeing mocks where he goes as high as 5 to the Redskins so the "you doana draft ugh guard wit ugh top ten pick" garbage is going out the window.

Well, the def could use an O Lineman.  They have zero need for say, a D lineman.  That would be the time to go NBPA.

Archived