Important Harvin Date

KRL

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be nice for one time for the Jets to get something over on some other team. Just once. If Harvin is s team player he would understand the business side of it and just have a handshake deal after the cut. For once. Can the jets make it happen.

Unfortunately today's NFL is more business oriented so it's unusual that players devote themselves to one team 

Seattle with Harvin = SB champs

Seattle without Harvin = 31st pick in the draft

I was thinking the same thing. The Hawks came up 1 yard short of winning the Superbowl, I'm pretty sure Harvin would have made 1 game changing play as the Seahawks had absolutely no offensive player "other than Wilson" to take advantage of the edges of the Pars defense which I believe is their weakspot.

I was thinking the same thing. The Hawks came up 1 yard short of winning the Superbowl, I'm pretty sure Harvin would have made 1 game changing play as the Seahawks had absolutely no offensive player "other than Wilson" to take advantage of the edges of the Pars defense which I believe is their weakspot.

Thought about that during the game as they struggled to make an explosive play.  Their WR's are good, but nobody to keep the defense honest.

Why are you so worried ? Don't be.

I am not worried about it at all, just my assumption that if he is going to play for less money it will likely be for a team with a qb and an OC that uses the short passing game. Oakland has even more cap room than the jets and he seems like the type of player a player that the raiders coveted. 

And what would Seattle record be with him is open to debate. once the dust settled they only lost one more game the rest of the year and when he put on the jets uniform the seahawks were 3-3. Sometimes it is a addition by subtraction as the giants with Schockley.  If they could have had the harvin who minded his business as a jet, in Glendale then yes he could have made a difference. But then you would think that he would have started and not Mathews who had the game of his life.

i could see him having similar problems finding a team as Santonio did when we cut him, maby we could let him test free agency pay up our 6th round pick then snag him up dirt cheap after the draft? (even if we get another wr in free agency or the draft this could be a good option)

They never would have let Tate go if they knew that harvin was going to be a jerk. Schnieder does not make many mistakes but by getting Harvin he lost Tate.He paid Harvin for 30 mill for the 5 games that he played for Seattle, the same 30 mill he could have had Tate who signed for 31 mil over 5 years. OUCH never mind the draft comp.

Nope.  No guaranteed money and the cap is going up big time.

Irrelevant, his pricetag is too expensive for what he brings to the table.

The guy is an over-rated kick returner with a very limited skillset as a full-time, every-down, WR.

He's also a locker room cancer everywhere he's been.

He is the last type of player a rebuilding Jets Franchise should be investing in, even in the short term.

He's just not that good (I love ll the bluster about being "explosive" and DC'ing having to "plan for him", he's a 50 catch, 700 yard max player ffs, and thats IF he has a good QB and gets to play every down all year!)......higher cap in 2015 or not he is too expensive for what he will produce.

If he can stay healthy (which he hasn't in years) and if he keeps a good attitude (which he's never done).

I feel confident there is no chance Harvin is a Jet come Opening Day 2015.

Irrelevant, his pricetag is too expensive for what he brings to the table.

The guy is an over-rated kick returner with a very limited skillset as a full-time, every-down, WR.

He's also a locker room cancer everywhere he's been.

He is the last type of player a rebuilding Jets Franchise should be investing in, even in the short term.

He's just not that good, higher cap or not he is too expensive.

I feel confident there is no chance Harvin is a Jet come Opening Day 2015.

I dunno man, he's not the first guy I'd take as a speedy WR, but he's the one we have.  With the worst QB in the NFL he posted a couple of 100 yard games and was horribly overthrown on a couple of bombs when he torched the secondary.  He's not worth 10 mil so I hope he renegotiates, but if he won't, I'd prefer they not open up another gaping hole on the roster.

i could see him having similar problems finding a team as Santonio did when we cut him, maby we could let him test free agency pay up our 6th round pick then snag him up dirt cheap after the draft? (even if we get another wr in free agency or the draft this could be a good option)

The diff is that harvin can still play and Holmes can;t.  But harvin is an idzik "pick" and the new GM may just as soon want his own stamp on the team. Maybe harvin will go for a incentive deal along the lines of 4 years 20 mill with $200,000 per game played in 2016-2018 and and a 5 mill bonus and a first year salary of 4 mill. He gets the 10 mill he is "owed" in his pocket, this year. and if he plays all the games in the last three years he gets  almost 7 mill per year. The SB is low enough that he can be cut in 2016 without a negative cap hit as his remaining SB will be less than his 2016 salary.  I think he would renegotiate or even better for the jets, test FA and then come back.    Lessening the comp.

I am not worried about it at all, just my assumption that if he is going to play for less money it will likely be for a team with a qb and an OC that uses the short passing game. Oakland has even more cap room than the jets and he seems like the type of player a player that the raiders coveted. 

And what would Seattle record be with him is open to debate. once the dust settled they only lost one more game the rest of the year and when he put on the jets uniform the seahawks were 3-3. Sometimes it is a addition by subtraction as the giants with Schockley.  If they could have had the harvin who minded his business as a jet, in Glendale then yes he could have made a difference. But then you would think that he would have started and not Mathews who had the game of his life.

You worry too much. Let it be.

I dunno man, he's not the first guy I'd take as a speedy WR, but he's the one we have.  With the worst QB in the NFL he posted a couple of 100 yard games and was horribly overthrown on a couple of bombs when he torched the secondary.  He's not worth 10 mil so I hope he renegotiates, but if he won't, I'd prefer they not open up another gaping hole on the roster.

If the first thing the new regime does is overpay a middling bad attitude kick returner, before a year 1/rebuilding year, just because we have a talent gap at WR......well, that says ALOT about the next 4-5 years IMO.

Harvin is not the only WR on planet earth.  There will be a hundred of them available in the draft, and a few dozen in free agency.

I have no doubt a competent Talent-Guy GM can find another WR to play alongside Decker and Kerley.

I believe in the 150-ish WR available, there will be a better choice than resigning Percy Harvin.

If the first thing the new regime does is overpay a middling bad attitude kick returner, before a year 1/rebuilding year, just because we have a talent gap at WR......well, that says ALOT about the next 4-5 years IMO.

Harvin is not the only WR on planet earth.  There will be a hundred of them available in the draft, and a few dozen in free agency.

I have no doubt a competent Talent-Guy GM can find another WR to play alongside Decker and Kerley.

I believe in the 150-ish WR available, there will be a better choice than resigning Percy Harvin.

The last time Harvin was used correctly, he was on pace for 120 catches for over 1,400 yards and was considered a darkhorse candidate for league MVP.

Gailey will use him correctly.

Okay, if he's just a kick returner, how did he manage to put together multiple 100 yd games in the role of a traditional WR with the worst QB in the NFL throwing him the ball and missing him on multiple deep pass plays? 

Okay, if he's just a kick returner, how did he manage to put together multiple 100 yd games in the role of a traditional WR with the worst QB in the NFL throwing him the ball and missing him on multiple deep pass plays? 

Same way he managed to produce a 6 yard game, a 2 yard game and a 0 yard game.

He's a kick returner.

If we're lucky, he get one good catch and takes it and runs a while (like, amazingly, a kick returner would!).

Most days, we throw to him 6 times, and he gets 1 catch for 2 yards.

Thats exactly my point, that is simply not worth Harvins asking price.

We neither need nor want a guy who has 1-2 100-yard games, and 10 6-yard games, and misses (if we're lucky) only the other 4 games due to injury.

It's a pointless argument, the Jets FO is never going to keep an Idzik Guy with that skillset/limitations, that locker room attitude, that injury history and that price tag.

If they do.....wow.  Fans I get, they love names and flash, regardless of how useless that guy is 95% of the time.

I expect alot more from a talent-oriented GM, who should know that what Harvin brings can easily be replaced by a good mid-round draft pick, talent wise.

A GM who isn't paranoid that every pick will fail just because we missed on a few WR recently.

Same way he managed to produce a 6 yard game, a 2 yard game and a 0 yard game.

He's a kick returner.

If we're lucky, he get one good catch and takes it and runs a while (like, amazingly, a kick returner would!).

Most days, we throw to him 6 times, and he gets 1 catch for 2 yards.

Thats exactly my point, that is simply not worth Harvins asking price.

We neither need nor want a guy who has 1-2 100-yard games, and 10 6-yard games.

It's a pointless argument, the Jets FO is never going to keep an Idzik Guy with that skillset/limitations, that locker room attitude, that injury history and that price tag.

If they do.....wow.  Fans I get, they love names and flash, regardless of how useless that guy is 95% of the time.

I expect alot more from a talent-oriented GM, who should know that what Harvin brings can easily be replaced by a good mid-round draft pick, talent wise.

So Geno had nothing to do with him getting one catch on six targets?  How many drops did he have?

So AFJF, is it your claim then that Percy Harvin is the greatest, most productive and more efficent (cap wise) WR available in either the Draft or Free Agency in 2015?

If so, I respect your option.....I simply disagree with it.  End of the day, it'll be up to Mac and Bowles.

So AFJF, is it your claim then that Percy Harvin is the greatest, most productive and more efficent (cap wise) WR available in either the Draft or Free Agency in 2015?

If so, I respect your option.....I simply disagree with it.  End of the day, it'll be up to Mac and Bowles.

Not at all, I always defer to the experts as I realize I'm not one.  I'm just a fan with an opinion.  However, as a fan, I've come to respect  how difficult it can be to find a true playmaker in the draft.  Maybe it's just the Jets that have this problem, but the last time we had a gamebreaking WR it was Santana Moss, and of course he was used incorrectly and blew up once he was traded.  I think Harvin's production with a competent QB in a Gailey-run offense will be better than it ever has.  If they do they feel like they can get a guy do what Harvin can for the price of a fourth round pick, go for it.

Not at all, I always defer to the experts as I realize I'm not one.  I'm just a fan with an opinion.  However, as a fan, I've come to respect  how difficult it can be to find a true playmaker in the draft.  Maybe it's just the Jets that have this problem, but the last time we had a gamebreaking WR it was Santana Moss, and of course he was used incorrectly and blew up once he was traded.  I think Harvin's production with a competent QB in a Gailey-run offense will be better than it ever has.  If they do they feel like they can get a guy do what Harvin can for the price of a fourth round pick, go for it.

I wouldn't say we "misued" Moss, he was just as productive with us as he was with Washington.  He was a 800-1,100 Yard guy here, he was a 700-1,100 yard guy there, with one best season of 1,400.

Harvin, on the other hand, has of yet never caught for over 1,000 yards, has been injured most of the past 3 full seasons, is well known for his locker room issues, and is paid like an NFL #1 WR.

I simply don;t see Harvin as a "gamebraker".  He might suprise and catch a bomb or make a dump into a long play once or twice in a while, but on a game-by-game production standpoint, he's almost irrelevant.

I.e. he's the personification of a kick returner also holding down the #3/#4 WR spot.  And if we pay him like a #3/#4 WR, so be it, I suppose, we'll just have to hope he keeps his sh*tty attitude and issues where they belong.

But I certainly am not paying #1 WR Cash for #3 WR performance.

I maintain that a talent-based GM can and should be able to find a WR in the Draft that has greater talent and upside than a Percy Harvin, at a cost vastly less than Harvin will demand.  we have too many holes to spend big on a once-in-a-while big play guy when we can get a similar talent level (presuming our GM doesn;t suck, of course) for far less investment, leaving more money to add talent all over (including other WR's if needed, talent depth being a seriosu issue here).

Ourlads 2009 scouting report on Harvin below. pretty damn accurate. tough decision to make for the new FA. hope they restructure. guys with this type of talent aren't just wandering around out there. you take the big play ability with the big injury-risk/locker room rumors and you live with it. Jets need playmakers. if they let him walk and bring in CJ Spiller, I guess I would not complain. but I like Harvin. 

2009 Guide: What Ourlads NFL Scouting Services said about PERCY HARVIN: Florida, 5111 192 4.41. Junior entry. Two-and-a-half years as a starter. Big play utility athlete. Playmaker with rare speed. Built like a running back. Outstanding running skills and vision after catch. A hand catcher with soft hands to snatch the ball. Natural receiving skills. Has the feet to get his body in position to catch the ball. Can catch high, low, and behind. Runs a limited amount of patterns. Will need development on all the downfield routes. Has an upfield burst and strong leg drive. Used on counters and reverses. Threat as a runner. Can make people miss. Flashes blocking ability. Usually has his hands on the ball. Excellent leaper. Can catch a ball in a crowd. Will run crossers over the middle. Can take a hit and hold on to ball. No holdup on the line. Quick acceleration and footwork. Has the moves to elude. Has football intelligence. Most ball clubs want a receiver over six feet unless they are special. Harvin will only limit a great career by his decisions on and off the field. Must be drafted by a team with a strong locker room. High maintenance player that has a problem with authority. Has an injury history including ankle, neck, hamstring, heel problems and migrane headaches. OSR:12/38. First/second round. (A-31 5/8, H-9 3/8, VJ-37.5, SS-DNP).

I get not liking Harvin, but thinking he can be replaced "by a good mid-round pick, talent-wise" is pretty silly.  This is a guy that several front offices have been very high on.  Seattle is not exactly a stupid team and they gave up plenty and a ton of money to get him. The Jets were allegedly in love with him before the draft.  I can see thinking he is not worth $10M, but the idea that a 4th round pick can easily do what he does is a bit farfetched.  He does seem to be tailor made for Chan Gailey.

Seattle is not exactly a stupid team and they gave up plenty and a ton of money to get him. 

And both the Vikings, and the two-time Super Bowl Seahawks, couldn't wait to be rid of him and were glad once he was gone (and didn't really miss him).

His resume of problems and injury is there for all to see.

So, tell us why Chan Gailey is the guy who will somehow transform a unquestionably disappointing-career player with injury and attitude issues into a quality WR.

Are we, as a team, so "flashy-talent" starved that we're seeing greatness where it simply doesn't exist, based on years old potential and pre-draft evaluations?

Is an injury prone, locker room problem really what a rebuilding team needs?  Is even a slightly reduced-cost (say 8 mil/year) WR with his performance record what we need?

And again, is he so special, that he cannot be bettered by anyone else in Free Agency or in the Draft?

Let me put it a different way.

Which group of WR would you prefer?

1. Decker

2. Maclin (FA From Eagles, similar cost)

3. Dorial Green-Beckham (Selected 2nd Round)

4. Kerley

+ We Keep our 4th Rounder

or

1. Decker

2. Harvin

3. Kerley

4. Whomever

-We Lose our 4th Rounder

I'd take the first group.

1. Decker

4. Kerley

or

1. Decker

2. Harvin

3. Kerley

4. Whomever

-We Lose our 4th Rounder

Harvin has a "resume of problems" but you want to draft Green-Beckham?

1. Decker

4. Kerley

or

1. Decker

2. Harvin

3. Kerley

4. Whomever

-We Lose our 4th Rounder

Why do we draft a WR in the second round in scenario one but not scenario two? Because we've already used a fourth round pick on a receiver and fourth round picks are GOLD? Scenario one is not happening. If we keep Harvin, we may go WR early IN CASE he doesn't work out. Definitely won't tie up two receivers to long term big money deals and then draft one high. Harvin's current contract is basically a year to year deal.

And lol at ditching Harvin because he's a head case and then turning around and drafting a head case.

I notice neither of you will flat out say "I want Harvin, **** Maclin" or similar.

If you believe that Harvin is the man, say so, say I want Harvin resigned, and then we're set at WR.

Because if we sign Harvin, other than some throwaway low-rounder pehaps, we ARE done at WR for 2015.

Decker/Harvin/Kerley?

What a sub-par group that is and will be.

It's all good, everyone wants Winston/Mariota, I don;t, everyone seems to want Harvin, I don't, everyone seems to want to give Geno Smith yet another year, I don't, etc.

I notice neither of you will flat out say "I want Harvin, **** Maclin" or similar.

If you believe that Harvin is the man, say so, say I want Harvin resigned, and then we're set at WR.

Because if we sign Harvin, other than some throwaway low-rounder pehaps, we ARE done at WR for 2015.

Decker/Harvin/Kerley?

What a sub-par group that is and will be.

It's all good, everyone wants Winston/Mariota, I don;t, everyone seems to want Harvin, I don't, everyone seems to want to give Geno Smith yet another year, I don't, etc.

I have been on the fence about Harvin since they got him.  I never thought he was an automatic cut they way some of you guys do.  With this team I would think of him more in the Spiller role and I would use him to do what I think they wanted out of Chris Johnson.  I know he is not an every down RB, but they can use him out of the backfield and flex him out.  Take the $4M they get for dumping Johnson and use it on another WR and things are not so bleak.  I 100% would like Harvin back, but I just don't know at that money.  Most of the problems associated with him are offset by the fact that they can cut him any time without a cap hit.  I don't think they are replacing him with a 4th rounder.  The good news is they can try to sign somebody before they have to dump him.

Archived