Leberfeld's take

Bugg

Swipes at Canizzaro and Hermie; doesn't like Mangini; likes Tice? I dunno...

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp?articleID=v0000msgn20060109T230338807&newsgroup=ap.sportsml.columnist.article&sports=american-football&team=Jets&league=nfl

Dan Leberfeld

In aftermath of Herm, let's look at Jets' coaching choices

Jan 09, 2006

Jets GM Terry Bradway took the high road at Monday

Tice had talent in the Vikings and never got the most out of that team- pass on him

He makes a valid point with Mangini that he is low on experience- sometimes you have to take a chance with a go-getter- is Mangini that guy the big question?

what if Mangini comes in and Heimer goes...

Maybe, Just Maybe, Dan Henning could be hired away from carolina to be OC and asst HC..

any thoughts?

Dan was on the 98 staff.

Dan Henning is an outstanding coach and that would be a great idea to bring him in. He is no nonsense and is a master at playcalling, developing talent, and putting players in the best position to succeed.

Let's face it guys, the majority of the re-treads are unattractive to us because we have seen their body of work and it does not inspire greatness.

Of the unknowns, it is hard to make a case for or against as we sit here. I could pretty much guarantee that any of us could listen to a taped message from Kubiak, Mangini or Rivera on their coaching philosophies and ideals, and any of us would have a difficult time attaching the taped philosophy that we heard, from the man that spoke it.

What I do like about Mangini is that both Crennel and Saban went after him last year. That makes a pretty good case for 2 guys that know him, and as hard as it may hurt us, they know football better than we do.

That can sell me.

If we have to have a retread from past seasons in the NFL, I would rather Sherman, then Tice. No one else is worth considering.

But I could live with Eric M. I like the idea of a young guy, making an imprint. And he has no ties to Bradway, or KC!!

Mangini would be a fresh start- no secret or past agenda-The more I think about it this is what this Jet team needs. A younger guy trying to make a mark for himself is good-surrounded by competent assistants

WTF is this love affair with Mike Tice?

His teams started out 5-0 and 6-1 respectively and fizzled down the stretch, one year missing the playoffs becase they blew a big halftime lead on the road at Arizona.

Blown draft picks, bad defenses, players out of control, challenging players to a fight(not bad, actually, I kinda like a coach that can whup some ass), etc.

People want to see him here? Why?

Tice's Vikings were an odds on favorite by some to make a trip to the Superbowl, with all the off season moves he made, and they looked like sh*t. Yes, they went on a good win streak, but the damage was already done.

No, **** Tice. I don't want him anywhere near the Jets, unless he were to sign on as the O line coach.

Here's the difference with us. We look at retreads, and teams like Minny and Houston, having grown weary of them, look at fresh blood, like Childress and Kubiak.

The bears hired Smith, Falcons hired Mora, etc. We interview Haslett.

This is sickening.

Mangini will either be the next Gruden or the next Marty Morningwhig - a guy who was brutally unprepared to be a HC in this league... If he interviews well then give him a shot.

I rather have him then some retread. Like somebody said about, when you take on the Jets' job the biggest part is trying to slay the losing culture that surrounds the organization. Why would you want to bring in proven losers in Haslett and Tice? Atleast in a coordinator there is always an upside and potential.

I would be fine with Mangini.

I respect DL for at least wavering from what the rest of the media is saying. Maybe he can open some eyes around here.
i usually agree with dan but i can't agree with this. mangini has major coaching potential. if he's not coaching the jets he'll be coaching another team very soon.

WTF is this love affair with Mike Tice?

His teams started out 5-0 and 6-1 respectively and fizzled down the stretch, one year missing the playoffs becase they blew a big halftime lead on the road at Arizona.

Blown draft picks, bad defenses, players out of control, challenging players to a fight(not bad, actually, I kinda like a coach that can whup some a$$), etc.

People want to see him here? Why?

Tice's Vikings were an odds on favorite by some to make a trip to the Super Bowl, with all the off season moves he made, and they looked like Sh#t. Yes, they went on a good win streak, but the damage was already done.

No, F#ck Tice. I don't want him anywhere near the Jets, unless he were to sign on as the O line coach.

Here's the difference with us. We look at retreads, and teams like Minny and Houston, having grown weary of them, look at fresh blood, like Childress and Kubiak.

The bears hired Smith, Falcons hired Mora, etc. We interview Haslett.

This is sickening.

I can't answer why... I just know that Mike Tice is entertaining. And always beats the Lions. Maybe TB wants to guarantee one win?

Archived