Jon Stewart retiring

Morrissey

That's a bummer.

I dunno. The show became very repetitive the past couple years. Rip Fox 2 days a week, CNN another, the judiciary or executive the next, and then Congress or some other issue they had done a thousand times already. I think a lot of that had to do with the notion that he was burning out. Hence the increase in breaks, extended vacation for Rosewater...etc. Combine that with how increasingly frustrating it is to translate the current climate to the general public, it takes a lot out of you.

Good for him I say. It takes balls to step aside and go out on top.

I dunno. The show became very repetitive the past couple years. Rip Fox 2 days a week, CNN another, the judiciary or executive the next, and then Congress or some other issue they had done a thousand times already. I think a lot of that had to do with the notion that he was burning out. Hence the increase in breaks, extended vacation for Rosewater...etc. Combine that with how increasingly frustrating it is to translate the current climate to the general public, it takes a lot out of you.

Good for him I say. It takes balls to step aside and go out on top.

Yeah, but even in its repetition it's still consistently better than pretty much anything else on late night these days. 

I think he was jaded and it showed in the final product. From "can't miss"  program of the 2000's to the somewhat jaded show of late. Just seemed to not have the super edge he once did.

It's good he knew when is when and decided to leave on the top unlike the Letterman's of this world.

I still remember watching his very first show and thinking what an upgrade he was from Craig Kilborn who i had playing in the background sometimes.

I think he was jaded and it showed in the final product. From "can't miss"  program of the 2000's to the somewhat jaded show of late. Just seemed to not have the super edge he once did.

It's good he knew when is when and decided to leave on the top unlike the Letterman's of this world.

I cant believe Letterman is still on tv.

I still remember watching his very first show and thinking what an upgrade he was from Craig Kilborn who i had playing in the background sometimes.

The talent he built around him kept leaving,  notably John Oliver...

John Oliver is the only guy I think can really replace him, his show on HBO is just brilliant, it's too bad it's only once a week. 

Oliver was good as a fill-in, but I'd rather he stay at HBO. That format they do is very original, and I don't think the 20-minute segments would work on regular cable.

The talent he built around him kept leaving,  notably John Oliver...

Whole bunch of people all these years. Many people forget that Carrell, Helms, Colbert and so many others were part of this show and left. John Stewart has not only provided a great show for the past 16 years but he has defined what the comedic universe looks like in the past 16 years. It used to be all SNL before he got on the scene. But not the past decade and a half.

This. The first couple presidential elections he did were revolutionary for the medium. The show he did after 9/11 was my favorite moment in the wake of everything, maybe Piazza's home run, but that's it.

Yeah, but even in its repetition it's still consistently better than pretty much anything else on late night these days. 

Maybe. I dunno. I think he's the only thing I've ever watched regularly for such a long period. It sucked seeing him go from happy-go-lucky no matter what to being so bitter all the time. The last thing you want to see is someone like Stewart devolve into a cynic.

Whole bunch of people all these years. Many people forget that Carrell, Helms, Colbert and so many others were part of this show and left. John Stewart has not only provided a great show for the past 16 years but he has defined what the comedic universe looks like in the past 16 years. It used to be all SNL before he got on the scene. But not the past decade and a half.

Good point.

It's amazing that SNL is barely relevant, while one could argue that the Daily Show has been the only connection to politics that has existed for huge portions of our society for the better part of a decade, at least. 

Not my cup of tea, but to his credit he gets out before he got worn down. Letterman is pushing 70 and looks every day of it. What's the point of that? Stewart has enough money forever , better to go do things you find interesting and enjoy life and family  for a bit. 

Not my cup of tea, but to his credit he gets out before he got worn down. Letterman is pushing 70 and looks every day of it. What's the point of that? Stewart has enough money forever , better to go do things you find interesting and enjoy life and family for a bit.

Letterman looks so angry and disinterested in doing his own show. Losing in the ratings to an unfunny noob like Fallon really broke him. He was always bitter about losing to Leno all those years but he respected Leno at least. He doesn't respect Fallon nor should he.

Stewart is ok but he's not this living legend of comedy the media makes him out to be. I actually prefer John Oliver's new show on hbo. To be fair Stewart can't do the kind of in depth stories Oliver does on hbo because of commercials and time restraints plus his producers feel pressure to follow the typical talk show format of always having a guest.

I wonder what Colbert is going to do on cbs. He's a funny guy but he will have to change his format plus, not that he's a blue comedian he's not but I'm sure his writers and producers will feel pressure to Jay Leno-ize him.

Letterman looks so angry and disinterested in doing his own show. Losing in the ratings to an unfunny noob like Fallon really broke him. He was always bitter about losing to Leno all those years but he respected Leno at least. He doesn't respect Fallon nor should he.

Leno gets a bad rap. But he was a comedian who plays Vegas before he got the job, and he is still that. Only difference is he now has a pile of money. He always appealed to the broad middle which isn't very cool. but it's a goldmine. Leno doesn't have the anger of Letterman, not now not ever. It's not his fault NBC saw Conan O'Brien didn;t have that broad appeal; it' still about making money. It's something Fallon seems to understand as well. And Leno appears to be enjoying life, Don't get people who work until their last day as if the building will fall down if they're not in it 24/7.

Archived