Kevin White

Paradis

Guys, you misunderstand me I think. Yes, WR is a complimentary position, but I am not saying it's not an important position. Every position is important on a football team, but there are some that are far more important which I refer to as the premium (give huge cap dollars to ) positions.

At the draft this April, the Jets may have a choice of Shane Ray, Dante Fowler Jr , Scherff ( who I believe is an NFL LT)  Collins, Cooper,  White or Parker at pick 6. If I am picking I am taking one of the Pass rushers and I am not looking back.

In the NFL, a player who can put the QB on the ground or force said QB to throw the ball before the play develops, is IMO 3 times as important as a WR. A player who can protect the blindside of the QB and open holes for the running game  is far more important than a WR. The reason I am taking the Pass rusher is I believe I can get that LT prospect in Fisher later in the draft while I may not be able to get that edge rusher quality later . The Fact that we have Ferguson who can't be cut or traded this season aids in my selection.

IMO, what the Jets lack at WR is dependable top end take the top off a defense type speed.  Harvin showed what that can add to the offense, but his salary is cost prohibitive IMO. Dorsett from the U or Devin Smith from Ohio State is what they need or a player like that.

I am coming around on this Devin Smith character .

If the Jets take an offensive lineman at #6, at/near the top of a 1st round loaded with top end offensive playmaker type talent, I'll be pretty upset.  This isn't the 2013 draft where the only conceivable top-10 picks, at a non-lineman position on offense, requires overdrafting either one fast midget or one TE (who fell to #21 anyway). A draft so barren of these types of skill players, to the point where many people convince themselves that it's smart that 2 freaking guards could/should be drafted in the top 10 picks in the country. A position that one can fill in free agency any year one likes. 

Since I don't watch these guys play I'll leave it to others who do follow them, like yourself, to rank which prospects are going to be better or worse or outright future busts. But if we don't take a QB or WR or an unstoppable pass-rushing OLB who actually played some OLB in college, then I pray we trade down even if we're not getting chart value or better. And I'd rather it be on offense than a pass rusher anyway. Not for the emotional/reflexive reason of that's what we've been lacking (or not purely, anyway). But also because this team's finances allow us to splurge on an available 26 year-old, sure thing, demon passrushing OLB in free agency (Hunter) even if he costs $2-3M/year more than his theoretical worth on paper. Scrimp somewhere else, like by not paying a Michael Vick $5M or passing on a CJ Spiller whose upside is only short-lived success here or anywhere else, and now we can use a #6 overall pick on an elite player we can't duplicate in free agency.

I prefer Hunter and a (presumably elite) WR/QB prospect at #6, over a #6 overall pass-rushing OLB plus a Randall Cobb sans Rodgers, or a far less sure-thing WR in rounds 2 or 3. I'm sure one of the WRs ranked outside the top half dozen or so prospects will be great, but it's a more difficult guess which one - or ones - it will be. There are lots of less-polished prospects with great physical potential every year, but it's hard to predict which will be the able to put it all together.

Just my opinion. Carry on and keep up the discussions of these guys. This is truly where I learn about these kids.

I almost hope Mariotta is not there just so we don't have to make the decision and have the million and none threads and posts going either way.

Things do look they are setting up a bit for it coming down to WR vs pass rusher.  Tough decision as both can be risky.  i'll waffle back and forth a lot on thi8s before the draft I'm sure but it would sure be nice to get a dynamic WR for once.  A guy that can challenge for the ball and make the QB look good.  There are a number of 'good' QB's in the this league that in my mind might be average if not for that type of WR.

I almost hope Mariotta is not there just so we don't have to make the decision and have the million and none threads and posts going either way.

Things do look they are setting up a bit for it coming down to WR vs pass rusher.  Tough decision as both can be risky.  i'll waffle back and forth a lot on thi8s before the draft I'm sure but it would sure be nice to get a dynamic WR for once.  A guy that can challenge for the ball and make the QB look good.  There are a number of 'good' QB's in the this league that in my mind might be average if not for that type of WR.

Actually I am hoping he is, and that the Browns won't mind parting with those 2 1st round picks  for the 6th over all pick. At pick 12 I could be happy with DeVante Parker and at pick 19 I could be happy with Lae'l Collins.

Things do look they are setting up a bit for it coming down to WR vs pass rusher. Tough decision as both can be risky. i'll waffle back and forth a lot on thi8s before the draft I'm sure but it would sure be nice to get a dynamic WR for once. A guy that can challenge for the ball and make the QB look good. There are a number of 'good' QB's in the this league that in my mind might be average if not for that type of WR.

Don't worry the titans will draft mariota and either pitch him to the fan base as the new face of the franchise or trade him to the Eagles.

• 1 month later...

Oh please, Mayock had C. Patterson above Keenan Allen and Deandre Hopkins. He's a draft wizard no doubt, but his word is not law. You're the one who said "You can't be serious".. not me. So spare the tough guy remarks. Watch White in the Texas game then talk to me. That's just one example. Some evaluators are looking at the upside and going all in, ignoring the cause for concern. You could point to any of the top 4 WRs and make a case for that particular individual ought to be #1. All things being equal, DGB is clearly the best prospect, but all things aren't equal, and therefore in my books, Parker is at the top. 

Looks like I was right about Kevin White.  He will be either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd receiver taken with Cooper and Parker the other two most likely. 

Looks like I was right about Kevin White.  He will be either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd receiver taken with Cooper and Parker the other two most likely. 

Wow, i don't know what I was on, but I sound like an a$$hole there...

I'm not sure what you're disproving. If you thought I thought White wasn't going in the top 10, then I didn't communicate myself very well. I believed when it was thrown out there in Jan... I terms of Parker, he could (and should) be right in there in the top 10. I'd bet there's a good to fair chance he could surprise and go ahead of either Cooper or White. It happens every year. 

Wow, i don't know what I was on, but I sound like an a$$hole there...

I'm not sure what you're disproving. If you thought I thought White wasn't going in the top 10, then I didn't communicate myself very well. I believed when it was thrown out there in Jan... I terms of Parker, he could (and should) be right in there in the top 10. I'd bet there's a good to fair chance he could surprise and go ahead of either Cooper or White. It happens every year. 

I wasn't trying to disprove anything; I mentioned back then that White was in Parkers class as a receiver and that his best football was ahead of him.  Not that he was better than Parker.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about Parker. I would not be surprised in the least if he went first, and more importantly in the end it really doesn't matter as Odell Beckham showed last year, the cream is going to rise to the top regardless of where they are drafted.  When it is all said and done Parker very well may be the best receiver in this draft.  I think White will be up there too but I know he needs to improve in a couple of areas.   I know I am in the minority but I truly believe that Cooper, while a great collegiate receiver, will not be the best receiver in this draft. 

I wouldn't say you're in the minority with Cooper, he's just the safest bet to be productive. Parker's risk (to me) would be that he'll come on like Roy Williams out of the gate and have a couple flashy years and then fade out just as quickly. White i would say that he never develops into anything more than D. Stallworth; a glorified deep ball artist. 

If everyone was so sold on Cooper being the guy, they wouldn't be talking about White and Parker leapfrogging him. But they are. So i think many out there believe the other two have the potential to (possibly) surpass Cooper at the NFL as dominating WRs.

edit*** that includes me, as I think both White and Parker could be better... the difference for me when you're looking as someone as reliable as Cooper - is the risk factor of achieving that. For me that would include Parker, and DGB. after that, I'd take Cooper before looking at White or Strong... there's just a tad more risk with White, enough that i'd stick with pure bred, Cooper

Archived