WR Randall Cobb seeks deal worth $9 million annually

joewilly12

I agree totally but isnt the problem that Harvin gets pissy when he's not lined up as a traditional receiver?

You mentioned that before and I almost put it in my post.  I have not seen any evidence of it, but I certainly wouldn't doubt it.  I guess the main problem is that Harvin gets pissy.  I will try to see if I can find anything about it.  He had over 100 yards rushing as a Jet and seemed to like his role.  He was getting almost 3 carries per game. 

If it were up to me, I would like to have him get 3-5 carries a game and then run him as receiver out of the backfield another 10-15 plays.  Giving him the runs will force the D treat him as a back.  It will mean running against a nickel or dime or forcing them to single or cover him with an LB or S.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cobb isnt worth that money. Only guy I would give 8-9 too is Maclin. 85 catches, 1300 yards, 10 TDs with Sanchez for a majority of the season. Would love him on the Jets.

You have to consider the offense they run.  Maclin was on the field for more plays because Chip Kelly tries to run as many plays as possible.  I just checked, he was targeted 143 times.

Not saying Cobb is not a good WR, he is but when you have Arron Rodgers throwing you the ball then you should be able to put up some good numbers. If Jeremy Kerley were a Packer he would get 1,000 yards and 8-10 td's and then get 8-10 million from us in free aganecy.

Are you saying Cobb benefited from having teams focus on Jordy and having the best qb in the world throwing to him?

You mentioned that before and I almost put it in my post.  I have not seen any evidence of it, but I certainly wouldn't doubt it.  I guess the main problem is that Harvin gets pissy.  I will try to see if I can find anything about it.  He had over 100 yards rushing as a Jet and seemed to like his role.  He was getting almost 3 carries per game. 

If it were up to me, I would like to have him get 3-5 carries a game and then run him as receiver out of the backfield another 10-15 plays.  Giving him the runs will force the D treat him as a back.  It will mean running against a nickel or dime or forcing them to single or cover him with an LB or S.

Ditto. He gets yards, I dont care how the come.

You have to consider the offense they run. Maclin was on the field for more plays because Chip Kelly tries to run as many plays as possible. I just checked, he was targeted 143 times.

So, Cobb had 127 targets while getting covered by the second corner.

You have to consider the offense they run.  Maclin was on the field for more plays because Chip Kelly tries to run as many plays as possible.  I just checked, he was targeted 143 times.

Agree, but Chans spread has similarity to Chips. Not as fast paced but I think Maclin would be a great fit. 

So, Cobb had 127 targets while getting covered by the second corner.

Relevance?  The Packers are a pretty pass happy team and that is still a significant difference.  I like Maclin, have since the draft.  I was just pointing out that going by gross receptions can be misguided when dealing with a Chip Kelly offense.

Ok Shotty, maybe you should resign Tim Teblow to run your "look how tricky we are" joke of an offense.

Hey, maybe Brad Smith is available so we can dump Decker, and run the all-time best Trick-O in NFL history!  No RB's, all "WR's", we'll change the league!

Free Agency and Cuts cannot come soon enough, one way, or the other.

Why would I sign a WR to play RB?

We should have RB's for that.  If your WR has more than a few rushing yards, he's a trick-player.

And to answer the other question posed above, I'd sign Johnson because even at 34, he's better than Harvin will ever be as a WR and has less drawbacks/costs.

I just don;t get the obsession with keeping Harvin, seems some of you think he's Jerry Rice ffs, when he's a pure JAG with drabacks and costs and his record proves it.

Unless I missed it, I don't see anybody (except bitonti) obsessing over him, let alone comparing him to Jerry Rice. All it is is he's on the team already. We don't have to outbid anyone to keep him on the team. 

I get and sympathize with any Jets fan not being a particular fan of his (I'm not really either), but he's clearly not a JAG player. Hell, after his rookie season the best QB he's played with, for more than a month of starts, was Christian Ponder. Putting the stats aside, he can't control other people's shortcomings/actions, like Smith missing him when he's wide open for an easy long TD, or 3 of his Seattle teammates getting flagged for penalties on 3 plays that erased 3 Harvin TDs in 1 game. It doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but he clearly played well enough to have another 4 TDs just on those 4 plays alone. On the season, even with all that plus jumping from Seattle to the Jets he still was within 5 yards of offense per start that Andre had. Plus Decker doesn't nearly draw the defensive attention that Hopkins did last season (nor the remaining true JAGs in Seattle's receiving corps).

That doesn't mean he's as good of a WR as Johnson was or is or will be, it doesn't mean I think he's Jerry Rice, it doesn't mean I'm obsessed with him. It means he's a talented player on offense, we're not exactly flush with so many of them, and (as is commonly said about others) he can't throw the ball to himself.

My #1 issue with keeping him, frankly, isn't even the 4th rounder; it's the GM's expressed desire to give him a new contract. This would render as uncuttable, a player with a history of being an on & off malcontent douchebag. I'd rather have Harvin playing for a super-lucrative contract every season and pay a little more per season for this insurance/incentive. Frankly I think he'd be a better teammate off the field, and better performer on it, on a year-to-year $10.5M contract than a $7.5M/year contract with the first 2 years or so guaranteed. 

If we could replace him with Cobb, I'd be in favor of that. He's been more productive more recently (though it's not remotely an apples to apples comparison between Aaron Rodgers and Geno Smith/Christian Ponder). I don't think there's a world of obvious difference between the two in Harvin's favor (if any at all), and we don't lose the draft pick to boot. But there are going to be other teams interested in him, plus would a guaranteed deal to Cobb cause us to stay away from a potential beast of a "#1 type" WR at #6? I don't really know. Harvin - on his existing contract - certainly would leave WR very much on the table at #6 (if not the most favored/likely pick outright) but doesn't force our hand to go WR if we can or do trade down.

I don't know. I do think he's better than you're giving him credit for, but I absolutely understand disliking him so much. But he's getting cut.

Ok Shotty, maybe you should resign Tim Teblow to run your "look how tricky we are" joke of an offense.

Hey, maybe Brad Smith is available so we can dump Decker, and run the all-time best Trick-O in NFL history!  No RB's, all "WR's", we'll change the league!

Free Agency and Cuts cannot come soon enough, one way, or the other.

I get that you don't like Harvin and that you like to fight, but this post is pure ******* bullsh*t.

Harvin is a quality NFL player that has been highly sought after since he got in the league.  If you want to put players in a box, have fun.  It is football, not chess.  You put guys in a position to succeed, they do not have to move two squares in one direction and one square in the other.  Tebow was sh*t and you know it.  I am not particularly a fan of Brad Smith, but Chan Gailey signed him in Buffalo, so maybe he likes your "look how tricky we are" joke of an offense. 

I think it is major league stupid to put Harvin in a box.  He has 885 career rushing yards and 5 rushing TDs at 6.3 a clip.  In college he had 1800+, 19 rushing TDs at 9.5 ypc, but hey!  Let's act like he is just a receiver.  FWIW, here is an article describing how to use him as a back to create mismatches.  Hey let's act like this is the wildcat or some other gimmick offense.  You might read it or you might not bother since apparently all you want is a drop-back QB, pro set offense.  Nobody has succeeded in the NFL running anything else, right?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2013/5/28/4364254/percy-harvin-creating-mismatches-at-running-back

Yes get guys who have played under the best QBs in history and throw them on the Jets. What could go wrong? If this team wants to get a player who knows how to deal with crap QBs they should sign Andre Johnson.

/facepalm

Like I said, Free Agency and Cuts cannot come soon enough, one way, or the other.

The sooner we can stop talking about Harvin, the better.

Palm your face all you want.  Running backs have been catching passes and receivers getting rushing yards forever.  Eric Metcalf was a RB.  I guess Atlanta should return the 1,000 yard receiving he had in 1995.

Palm your face all you want.  Running backs have been catching passes and receivers getting rushing yards forever.  Eric Metcalf was a RB.  I guess Atlanta should return the 1,000 yard receiving he had in 1995.

Here is an idea, write another wargarbl post about how dreamy and special Harvin is, then follow it up with another "but I don't want to keep him, I'm just defending his e-honour" lolpost.

That fence you're sitting on must really hurt your balls, mate.

/facepalm

Like I said, Free Agency and Cuts cannot come soon enough, one way, or the other.

The sooner we can stop talking about Harvin, the better.

Stop talking about him?  For the whole season it will be " we shouldn't have signed this bum I was right",  "Percy is earning that money, i told u so"   

Here is an idea, write another wargarbl post about how dreamy and special Harvin is, then follow it up with another "but I don't want to keep him, I'm just defending his e-honour" lolpost.

That fence you're sitting on must really hurt your balls, mate.

I totally want to keep him.  I just think that $10M is a lot of money.  I would be playing it like the current FO (anybody would - even you and you totally want to cut him)  If Cobb end up getting $10M per and Torrey Smith close, I would keep Harvin and burn the 4th.  I didn't like the trade, but if Harvin were cut this offseason I would be very much in favor of going after him

Stop talking about him?  For the whole season it will be " we shouldn't have signed this bum I was right",  "Percy is earning that money, i told u so"

If we keep Percy, and he stays healthy and plays 16, and catches for 1,000 yards, and runs for a few hundred yards, and scores 5 or 7 or 10 TD's, and causes no drama, I will absolutely be wrong, and happy to say so.

It's very hard to see that happening, IMO.

It's funny, I'm VERY optimistic about the new Staff and FO, but I'm exceptionally cynical when it comes to Harvin.

Guess we'll see.

Randall Cobb seeks deal worth $9 million annually

Though not as celebrated as Dez Bryant or Demaryius Thomas, Randall Cobb is one of the top wide receivers set to hit the market once free agency begins in early March. The Packers' wideout caught 91 passes for 1,287 yards and 12 touchdowns last season and doesn't turn 25 until August. According to ESPN's Rob Demovsky, Cobb and his agent are seeking a deal that would pay him around $9 million per year.

What complicates things for Cobb is that he's almost exclusively an inside receiver. According to Pro Football Focus, nearly 90 percent of his offensive snaps since the start of 2012 came from the slot. Receivers like that generally don't earn nearly eight figures. Still, with the leverage afforded by the open market, Cobb might get his wish, whether it's with the Packers or another team.

Cobb could be selling himself short here given the believers out there that think Torrey Smith will be pulling in 12 million a year. 

If Torrey can pull that off, Cobb should be getting at least 15. lol

Cobb, 9-10 million, 1,287 Yards, 12 TD's last year, no big injury concerns, no attitude issues, prototypical slot WR.

Harvin, 10 million and our 4th Round Pick, 500 or so Yards, 1 TD, serious injury concerns and attitude issues, trick-based KR/RB/WR "hybrid".

Yeah, tough choice.

Of course, I keep hearing Harvin is THE BEST WR possibly available this year, so I guess we should still sign Harvin, eh?

With the Jets cap-space, we could sign Cobb AND Andre Johnson (Texans letting him go looks like). He's lost a bit, but is still vastly better than Percy lol Harvin.

Decker/Cobb/Johnson/Kerley/Amaro

Where do I sign up?

Johnson...? LMFAO. Are you kidding me? You would rather get a player who is old as dirt and has his best football behind him rather then just draft a kid who can play with longevity?

The Packers reportedly informed free agent Randall Cobb's camp that they are willing to sign him to a five-year deal worth $8-9 million annually.

Agent Jimmy Sexton "basically has told the team he's confident more lucrative offers await." Venerable Packers beat writer Bob McGinn confirms the Jaguars are "expected to be all over Cobb," while the Raiders are "also ready to enter the Cobb sweepstakes." Concludes McGinn, "barring the unexpected ... it appears as if Cobb will be playing elsewhere next season."

Ever notice on plays how none of our guys ever get open?  If they did Geno would probably miss them but we do need guys that can get open for whoever is our QB

Isn't there a gif breakdown somewhere of a sh*tload of plays where Harvin was running open waving his hand and Geno either did not see him or missed him by 10 yards?

The Packers reportedly informed free agent Randall Cobb's camp that they are willing to sign him to a five-year deal worth $8-9 million annually.

Agent Jimmy Sexton "basically has told the team he's confident more lucrative offers await." Venerable Packers beat writer Bob McGinn confirms the Jaguars are "expected to be all over Cobb," while the Raiders are "also ready to enter the Cobb sweepstakes." Concludes McGinn, "barring the unexpected ... it appears as if Cobb will be playing elsewhere next season."

Harvin is looking better already. Remember that even if these guys sign for the same per year as Harvin, they will have way more guaranteed.  Harvin is basically on a pay as he plays.

Durrr... I dunno bill!?!? Maybe because we need to build an offense to put around our young QB. And one rookie wide out isn't going to fix our problems. We need several wide outs.

If you think Geno is answer you invest in Cobb, if not you do not and start a rebuild process until you strike gold with a QB

If you think Geno is answer you invest in Cobb, if not you do not and start a rebuild process until you strike gold with a QB

I agree. But why does the rebuild process have to start like that? I think the more efficient way to go about it would be to get a the offensive pieces lined up and just plug our quarterback in so he can grow with these players. We have been in a rebuild process since Idzik showed up but never got out of neutral.

Isn't there a gif breakdown somewhere of a sh*tload of plays where Harvin was running open waving his hand and Geno either did not see him or missed him by 10 yards?

Yes I've seen Percy and others open after the QB throws the ball or is moving out of the pocket away from the now open wr on the other side of the field..  

I agree. But why does the rebuild process have to start like that? I think the more efficient way to go about it would be to get a the offensive pieces lined up and just plug our quarterback in so he can grow with these players. We have been in a rebuild process since Idzik showed up but never got out of neutral.

IMO if Jets GM feels Geno is not answer, then spend $$ on OL and Defense. Then when you get a QB, you can add skill positions

Archived