Yankees Retiring Posada, Williams, and Pettitte numbers, honor Randolph

Morrissey

Retiring Posadas number and giving him a plaque is a joke. he was awful, god awful. the Yankees won some of those championships despite having him. and Posada was no key core guy on any of those championships from 96-2000. he couldnt catch, the Yanks wanted him to see an eye doctor because of all the passed balls. he was awful on plays at the plate, terrified of a collision he would always catch the ball by the pitchers mound and try running back to home plate. and he was probably the dumbest and worst base runner in the history of baseball. and he almost cost the Yankees the pennant in 2009 with his dumb base running in Anaheim. and he never did anything with the bat in clutch situations.

I grew up watching Thurman Munson with the Yankees. the guy was sooo tough. most people dont know this but the guy played most of the 1978 season with a separated shoulder after running into the wall in kc playing right field. he played the entire season with that ****ed shoulder and never said a word about it and helped them win the ws. he quietly had surgery in the off season. Posada shouldnt even get a plaque let alone his number retired.

Just out of curiosity, when you say Posada's dumb base running in Anaheim are you referring to the play at third base in particular? If that's the case, he was far from almost costing us a pennant. We were up in the series 2-1 and had a 5-0 lead when that play happened. 

Give me a break I watched every game those seasons Andy was a significantly more valuable player and was both regular season and playoff MVP of the 1996 World Series team. Without that first World Series the other championships may not even happen. He's one of the greatest postseason pitchers of all time for any team not just the Yankees. He absolutely should have his jersey number retired this isn't even a debate.

Pettitte was a good pitcher and a good playoff pitcher but you're overstating his results.  And he shouldn't be a HOFer.

As far as Bernie and Pettitte, if I'm starting a team and I can pick one of the two.  I take Bernie Williams all day long over Andy Pettitte.

Just out of curiosity, when you say Posada's dumb base running in Anaheim are you referring to the play at third base in particular? If that's the case, he was far from almost costing us a pennant. We were up in the series 2-1 and had a 5-0 lead when that play happened. 

Yes thats what I was talking about. and if you remember past history with the Angels (2002 the rally monkey) stupid stuff like  that can be a turning point. that still wasnt an easy series.

OK he didnt cost them the series. but the fact is he is a very very dumb baseball player. and was ''eh''. certainly does not deserve to be in monument park. which is becoming a joke now.

How do Yankee fans who hate ARod for cheating reconcile that Pettitte is really the same?

They're not the same. Not every "crime" (lack of a better word) is equal. Their circumstances could not be different. Alex has gone out of his way to throw people under the bus to cover up his repeated lies. He sued the Yankees, their team doctors, MLB, MLBPA. He's a bad guy and he's repeatedly embarrassed baseball and the Yankees. You can't say that about Andy Pettitte who's been a model citizen and great representative of the Yankees. Taking HGH erases that? It does not. Besides, the Yankees and their fans don't have to answer to you. Why do you care how they honor their players? Yankees and their fan base love Andy for his 15 years off service and his contribution to 5 World Series Championships. HGH doesn't change that and it really doesn't matter if you don't believe his story or his reasoning for taking HGH.

They're not the same. Not every "crime" (lack of a better word) is equal. Their circumstances could not be different. Alex has gone out of his way to throw people under the bus to cover up his repeated lies. He sued the Yankees, their team doctors, MLB, MLBPA. He's a bad guy and he's repeatedly embarrassed baseball and the Yankees. You can't say that about Andy Pettitte who's been a model citizen and great representative of the Yankees. Taking HGH erases that? It does not. Besides, the Yankees and their fans don't have to answer to you. Why do you care how they honor their players? Yankees and their fan base love Andy for his 15 years off service and his contribution to 5 World Series Championships. HGH doesn't change that and it really doesn't matter if you don't believe his story or his reasoning for taking HGH.

Pettitte doesn't have the high ground on anyone.  

Pettitte was a good pitcher and a good playoff pitcher but you're overstating his results. And he shouldn't be a HOFer.

As far as Bernie and Pettitte, if I'm starting a team and I can pick one of the two. I take Bernie Williams all day long over Andy Pettitte.

Good playoff pitcher? He has the all time record for postseason wins.

I grew up watching Bernie I bought his rookie card when he first came up but good offensive outfielders are a dime a dozen especially in that era.

I grew up watching Bernie I bought his rookie card when he first came up but good offensive outfielders are a dime a dozen especially in that era.

He's also made more postseason starts than anyone (44) can't you see how meaningless that makes that total of 19 wins? He played on great teams in an era that had 3 rounds of playoffs. His numbers overall are simply good not great. Bob Gibson was a great post-season pitcher. He had 9 starts and 8 complete games with a 1.89 ERA, nearly 3 full runs lower than Pettitte. Sandy Koufax was a great post season pitcher. In 7 starts he had an ERA under 1. 

He was good, he also had tons of opportunity to pitch in the playoffs for a team that was dominant.  

Archived