Kristian Dyer: Jets Will "go hard" after CJ Spiller

AFJF

Kristian Dyer of metro is reporting that a league source has confirmed the New York Jets will indeed "go hard" after former Buffalo Bills running back CJ Spiller who is due to become a free agent next month.

JetNation.com recently discussed Spiller and the possibility of him following former head coach Chan Gailey, the Jets new offensive coordinator, to New York with Howard Simon of WGR 550 in Buffalo who saw Spiller and the Jets as a logical move.

As Dyer and Simon point out, Spiller's most productive time as a pro came with Gailey at the helm in Buffalo in 2012 when Spiller registered 1,244 yards rushing and six touchdowns.

Follow Kristian Dyer on twitter @KristianDyer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rightfully so. The guy knows Gailey's system and (when healthy) is a gamebreaking runningback. Chris Ivory is a great runningback who doesn't nearly get the props he deserves due to the lack of recent success for the Jets. Spiller will fit in perfect as the change of pace back behind Ivory.

I'm all for this signing.

I don't like it. Spiller is way more talent than production. Always hurt, too much unnecessary lateral movement (dancing), and will cut into too many carries that should belong to Chris Ivory. Ivory is an explosive, battering ram with an attitude.

Draft a part-time 3rd down back in the middle rounds and pay him peanuts. Something they should have done the last few years. Do not overpay for a tease like Spiller.

I don't like it. Spiller is way more talent than production. Always hurt, too much unnecessary lateral movement (dancing), and will cut into too many carries that should belong to Chris Ivory.

Draft a part-time 3rd down back in the middle rounds and pay him peanuts. Something they should have done the last few years. Do not overpay for a tease like Spiller.

In the past few days from reading posts on here I've come around to this side of the argument. Well put. 

I don't like it. Spiller is way more talent than production. Always hurt, too much unnecessary lateral movement (dancing), and will cut into too many carries that should belong to Chris Ivory. Ivory is an explosive, battering ram with an attitude.

You obviously missed the 150 articles about Spiller's success in Gailey's offense.

He will come cheap, and signing him doesn't prohibit the jets from drafting a Rb in the middle rounds

In the past few days from reading posts on here I've come around to this side of the argument. Well put.

Thank you. Nice to know there are some that can view things logically and disregard the "STB" mentality. Not to say everyone that wants Spiller is an STB Madden sheep... but alot of 'em are.

he'll be 28 by the time the season starts next year.  anything more than a 2 year deal would be a bad move.  But if he still has his explosiveness why wouldn't we want him?

Not everyone is going to superstar.  If you can afford the talent and the OC likes him and wants him - then you should absolutely go after him

You obviously missed the 150 articles about Spiller's success in Gailey's offense.

He will come cheap, and signing him doesn't prohibit the jets from drafting a Rb in the middle rounds

Ugh no. I didn't. Fully aware he had his career year with Gailey. He does not pass my eyeball test. Plenty of RBs have had one really good season. Or a season and a half. It is the whole picture that matters.

Better to draft the other half of the tandem you seek. Cheaper, fresher, and hungrier.

I'll be ok with this signing. He should be a large improvement from CJ. There are 2 RB spots open on this team.  I'm a firm believer of filling teams' needs with FA vets rather than counting on rookies to pan out from the get go.

Exactly. You can do both.

Exactly. You can do both.

I hear you. My fear is that we watch another year where Ivory gets more than 12 carries in a game only twice. That was criminal. Spiller is not good enough to warrant stealing half the carries from Ivory. Ivory will murder defenses if he is getting his 25th carry in the 4th quarter.

Spiller played in 61 of 64 games his first 4 years.  Last year someone broke his collarbone.  Hardly injury prone to date.

2010 hamstring weeks 11 & 12

2012 played with a bad shoulder most of the season

2013 ankle kept him out or limited for 6 weeks

2014 broken collar bone IR

But the real problem is that he wasn't terribly productive when he was healthy.

Do Not Want Spiller

Hell the knock on Chris Ivory when we trade for him was that he couldn't stay healthy and he's been pretty healthy with us,

And that he couldn't catch. Meet Spiller, the faster and catching version of Ivory. Totally down for this move and hope to retain Bilal Powell, as one of these folks are likely to get injured.

Do Not Want Spiller

Terribly productive? He split the load with Fred Jackson and has averaged 5 ypc over his career. But I guess his partial year, 78 carries are a bigger sample than his entire career.

Do Not Want Spiller

In 2012, CJ Spiller was among the top playmakers in the ENTIRE NFL with almost 1800 total yards, 8 TD's. and 43 receptions.  When given 200 Touches he has never averaged under 4.6 YPC. 

People ask what happened to him? Doug Marrone is what happened. He had no idea how to use him - its the reason Marrone will never be a Headcoach again. 

CJ Spiller reuniting with Chan Gailey would be the best move of this offseason. Especially as he wont be expensive. 

His age is the concern, but for the right price....sure I'd prefer to draft a Le'veon Bell in round 2, young stud but frankly this team has soooooo many holes that we need to fill as many as we can in free agency.

And frankly if Todd Gurley is sitting there in the 2nd round I don't think Mac would hesitate to draft him even if he signed Spiller. I don't see Spiller having a big market, he knows the system and has some game breaking ability.  I wouldn't be doing cartwheels but I think it's a low risk option to sign him.

I hear you. My fear is that we watch another year where Ivory gets more than 12 carries in a game only twice. That was criminal. Spiller is not good enough to warrant stealing half the carries from Ivory. Ivory will murder defenses if he is getting his 25th carry in the 4th quarter.

Maybe that's why he stayed healthy.

The RB position has been totally devalued so Spiller isn't going to get/command

big $$$.  We could probably get him for what we paid Chris Johnson.  And if we

do sign him there is no reason we still couldn't draft a RB in the middle rounds.

I believe Ivory has one year left on his deal and Spiller would only have two years

so a young RB would fit in our plans

As long as the contract makes sense, meaning limited guaranteed money, it can't hurt

Agreed...I don't see him commanding huge money. Could be the playmaker we'd hoped CJ would be.

The "hurt way too much" argument is overplayed.  Every player can get hurt, it's football.  The player we draft can get hurt, it's the NFL, these players coming in need to adjust to the physicality of the NFL game, there is no guarantee with any rookie over a young talent already in the league like Spiller who has already produced at a high level for the offensive coach we hired.

Archived