Kristian Dyer: Jets Will "go hard" after CJ Spiller

AFJF

The RB position has been totally devalued so Spiller isn't going to get/command

big $$$.  We could probably get him for what we paid Chris Johnson.  And if we

do sign him there is no reason we still couldn't draft a RB in the middle rounds.

I believe Ivory has one year left on his deal and Spiller would only have two years

so a young RB would fit in our plans

Agree with this, well put.

With Chris Johnson gone, Powell is also a FA, I'd rather pluck from the talent pool in the middle rounds on a player with more speed.  We also still have Daryl Richardson that we re-signed from the PS who is an explosive player.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if they sign Spiller they have to get another back. I do not think they are bringing Powell back.

They're a dime a dozen. Either draft Tyler Vargas in the 7th round or get some guy off the street during the season. Draft Sherff and create a top 5 OL anyone can run behind that

Do you guys realize that since 2000, when Woody took over the Jets they have only drafted 8 RBs (not including FB's) and none higher than Lamont Jordan in a different era. The game has truly changed in the past 15 years.

2001 Lamont Jordan in the 2nd round @ pick #49

2004 Derrick Ward one of 4 7th round picks from that year @ # 235

2005 Cedric Houston in the 6th Rd @ #182

2006 Leon Washington in the 4th @ #117

2009 Shonn Greene in the 3rd Rd @ # 65

2010 Joe McKnight in the 4th @ #112

2011 Bilal Powell in the 4th @ #126

2012 Terrance Ganaway 6th Rd # 202

They're a dime a dozen. Either draft Tyler Vargas in the 7th round or get some guy off the street during the season. Draft Sherff and create a top 5 OL anyone can run behind that

Right.  Just get a young healthy back in here because Ivory has issues too.  Be curious to see if they would draft Scherf.

I guess some people don't understand what a spread offense is, Ivory is not getting 20 carries a game no matter who we sign or draft.  The ground and pound is gone.  The Jets need a RB who can take a swing pass to the house, someone to catch 40 passes.  Ivory is not the back to be catching the ball.  He will be used in the 4th quarter if we have a big lead. 

Go back and look at the offense Chan ran in Buffalo, there is a huge need for a fast, shifty RB that can catch.  Appears Spiller is the best one available.

I am open to a better choice, I just dont know who that would be.

Do you guys realize that since 2000, when Woody took over the Jets they have only drafted 8 RBs (not including FB's) and none higher than Lamont Jordan in a different era. The game has truly changed in the past 15 years.

2001 Lamont Jordan in the 2nd round @ pick #49

2004 Derrick Ward one of 4 7th round picks from that year @ # 235

2005 Cedric Houston in the 6th Rd @ #182

2006 Leon Washington in the 4th @ #117

2009 Shonn Greene in the 3rd Rd @ # 65

2010 Joe McKnight in the 4th @ #112

2011 Bilal Powell in the 4th @ #126

2012 Terrance Ganaway 6th Rd # 202

To be fair, they had Curtis who they gave up a 1st and 3rd and plenty of money for when this period started.  They gave up a 4th and new deal for Ivory, a 4th for Kevan Barlow and swapped 2nds (value at top of 3rd) and gave a big deal to Thomas Jones.  They also signed Tomlinson and Johnson to fairly significant deals.  The Jets pathetic attempts at using the plug-and-play-a-low-round-RB theory have resulted in them spending way too much in trades and FA money IMO.

You obviously missed the 150 articles about Spiller's success in Gailey's offense.

He will come cheap, and signing him doesn't prohibit the jets from drafting a Rb in the middle rounds

That's it. Its all about how much? If its reasonable, you sign Spiller.

The RB position has been totally devalued so Spiller isn't going to get/command

big $$$.  We could probably get him for what we paid Chris Johnson.  And if we

do sign him there is no reason we still couldn't draft a RB in the middle rounds.

I believe Ivory has one year left on his deal and Spiller would only have two years

so a young RB would fit in our plans

Exactly, plus we need someone who can catch the ball out of the backfield , Spiller fits that to a T . The same guys who want to purge Harvin also don't want Spiller.  Why are we afraid of dynamic offensive talent. Has Rex really brainwashed that many of our fans. 

Exactly, plus we need someone who can catch the ball out of the backfield , Spiller fits that to a T . The same guys who want to purge Harvin also don't want Spiller.  Why are we afraid of dynamic offensive talent. Has Rex really brainwashed that many of our fans. 

Uh yes, haven't you noticed the zombie-eyed drones walking around the streets of Manhattan muttering "let me smell yo feetsies"?

Phenomenal ... lets make sure we spend a lot of time and dough on one of the only positions that we have acceptable talent.  

While I'm not a huge fan of Spiller, the Jets do have a need at the position.  Chris Johnson was released, and Bilal Powell is a free agent.  The only viable running back currently under contract is Chris Ivory.

Phenomenal ... lets make sure we spend a lot of time and dough on one of the only positions that we have acceptable talent.

We have Chris Ivory and Daryl Richardson under contract in 2015. That's it.

Rbs don't make dick in FA. spiller will get a $3-4m per year deal.

Anything else?

While I'm not a huge fan of Spiller, the Jets do have a need at the position.  Chris Johnson was released, and Bilal Powell is a free agent.  The only viable running back currently under contract is Chris Ivory.

I knew Johnson was released but didn't know Powell was an FA. Thought he was going to get a chance to pound out some yards with Johnson gone and still may if we re-sign him.

Hope we do as he's a great kid and I think a very capable #2. 

Ivory hasn't shown us he's injury prone and I don't think he got the carries he would/should have with Johnson being paid what he was. 

Can we just assume that everyone's opinion includes the caveat "if we don't overpay?"

The words themselves are meaningless without an attribution of value. It is easy to say "we shouldn't overpay" when you don't make any effort to determine or provide an approximation of what fair value is. So if you don't provide your idea of a "fair" contract, spare us the superfluous addendum. Thanks.

Can we just assume that everyone's opinion includes the caveat "if we don't overpay?"

The words themselves are meaningless without an attribution of value. It is easy to say "we shouldn't overpay" when you don't make any effort to determine or provide an approximation of what fair value is. So if you don't provide your idea of a "fair" contract, spare us the superfluous addendum. Thanks.

Not me. I do not want Spiller or Harvin. Period. Though for different reasons. Price is irrelevant.

Not me. I do not want Spiller or Harvin. Period. Though for different reasons. Price is irrelevant.

Yes , let's go status quo on offense and then complain that it sucks , the QB sucks, the OC sucks - but man oh man look at that D. We need playmakers in the worst way , couldn't care less if their headcases that's where coaching comes in. We don't have country club Rex anymore and his ignoring the O to pump up the D. 

Yes , let's go status quo on offense and then complain that it sucks , the QB sucks, the OC sucks - but man oh man look at that D. We need playmakers in the worst way , couldn't care less if their headcases that's where coaching comes in. We don't have country club Rex anymore and his ignoring the O to pump up the D.

I would sign a quality guard, would love Bulaga at RT but Idziot committed to Breno. I would look at Cobb and Maclin, price dependent. Both GOOD guys, tough, smart and resilient. Charles Clay or Virgil Green at TE even though Denver won't let Green go. Maybe Shane Vereen, cheaper... he won't tempt OC to steal too many carries from Ivory and would love to stick it to the Cheatriots for letting him walk.

Still status quo, right?

Not Spiller. And a hell no to Harvin!

On defense? The realistic wants are Worilds and Devin McCourty. Unfortunately, a lousy year for CB help.

Bills and Spiller negotiating.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2015/02/19/jerry-hughes-bills-cj-spiller-doug-whaley-nfl-buffalo/23700597/

Spiller, who really hasn't made the type of impact that was expected when he was Buffalo's first-round pick in 2010, was thought to be as good as gone and in search of a fresh start. However, he may think he can get that with the Bills in offensive coordinator Greg Roman's run-heavy scheme.

Whaley said the Bills are meeting with Spiller's agents in Indianapolis and, "We hope we can close the gap and get the deal done. There's going to be some work that has to be done, but I have confidence that we'll each come to the table with an open mind and we'll try to get a deal done that's great for both sides."

I would sign a quality guard, would love Bulaga at RT but Idziot committed to Breno. I would look at Cobb and Maclin, price dependent. Both GOOD guys, tough, smart and resilient. Charles Clay or Virgil Green at TE even though Denver won't let Green go. Maybe Shane Vereen, cheaper... he won't tempt OC to steal too many carries from Ivory and would love to stick it to the Cheatriots for letting him walk.

Still status quo, right?

Not Spiller. And a hell no to Harvin!

On defense? The realistic wants are Worilds and Devin McCourty. Unfortunately, a lousy year for CB help.

Sorry , just tired of the Jets ignoring offense for over a decade now.

I like Bulaga but would prefer Iupati. At wr I really don't see either Maclin or Cobb comitting to the Jets with our QB situation. This is why i'm pushing Harvin, he's already under contract.  Keep Harvin and draft a wr in the 3rd/4th - someone like Rashard Greene, Tony Lippett, Nelson Agholor, Ty Montgomery there's a lot of quality recievers in this years draft class. A sleeper I'd keep my eye out for in later rounds is Dezmin Lewis from Cent Ark. We also may pick up a 2nd tier FA wr someone like a Meacham , Britt or Royal.

At TE I would love Clay but would keep my eye on the Gresham and Cameron situations as both may not be resigned by their teams. At RB I want Spiller because he'd come fairly cheaply and has a good history with Chan, Vereen fills the same role essentially but probably comes at a steeper price tag.

Defense - CB & LB are needs. For LB I  would go one of , maybe two  Brandon Graham, Sam Acho, Brooks Reed , Pernell McPhee . At CB - Cro, Kareem Jackson, Buster Skrine , Davon House , Chris Culliver would all be on my wish list.

Bills and Spiller negotiating.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2015/02/19/jerry-hughes-bills-cj-spiller-doug-whaley-nfl-buffalo/23700597/

Spiller, who really hasn't made the type of impact that was expected when he was Buffalo's first-round pick in 2010, was thought to be as good as gone and in search of a fresh start. However, he may think he can get that with the Bills in offensive coordinator Greg Roman's run-heavy scheme.

Whaley said the Bills are meeting with Spiller's agents in Indianapolis and, "We hope we can close the gap and get the deal done. There's going to be some work that has to be done, but I have confidence that we'll each come to the table with an open mind and we'll try to get a deal done that's great for both sides."

Wonder what Spiller is seeking for there to be a gap between the two sides.

Archived