The history of Jets QBs. Man it sucks

New York Mick

1984 was probably the best season at QB ever, all things considered.. Still Feel like Rodgers is the best I've seen.  He's a more consistently great passer then Marino, in worse condititions,  and when you consider the mobility advantage he has it's a no brainner

Speaking of bad mobility Kenny was one of the few if any starting QB's without even 1 rushing td.. Namath had 7 wearing knee braces in a time when hitting the QB was allowed.. Marino had 9..

Last year I said we should take three QB's since we had 12 picks.  One early, one middle, one late...keep the best and cut the rest.  When I was a kid it didn't seem so bad to say "Man, our last three or four quarterbacks have been pretty bad".  Now that we're up to roughly 20 of our last 22 I'm tired of the "take one guy every four years" approach.  It hasn't worked in decades, should've tried something different.

As much as some people hate the idea, Foles or Glennon, in two or three years, could be one of the best quarterbacks this team has ever had.  Ugh....

In 1965 our 1st and 2nd rd picks were QB's..The heisman winner was the 2nd rd pick and was a bust..

Speaking of bad mobility Kenny was one of the few if any starting QB's without even 1 rushing td.. Namath had 7 wearing knee braces in a time when hitting the QB was allowed.. Marino had 9..

Yes, yes.. Kenny was a statue and that play where he winced before getting in end zone and the Jets ended up not scoring is when I lost all respect for the man/ Somewhere around 89?

Great arm though

Marino in todays game...forget about it. Arguably the best football player I've ever seen.

Forget about today... Marino was the best QB that I believe ever played the game. I don't care he didn't win the SB, he is better then Brady, Montana, and Manning. He didn't have the same teams around him that Brady or Montana had. If he played on those teams, he'd have just as many SB's IMO...

Forget about today... Marino was the best QB that I believe ever played the game. I don't care he didn't win the SB, he is better then Brady, Montana, and Manning. He didn't have the same teams around him that Brady or Montana had. If he played on those teams, he'd have just as many SB's IMO...

Someone did a long analysis of how he routinely came up short in the playoffs.. I think it was cold hard football facts

...and Jeff George.  The guy I always traded for in all-time Madden, the Ruston Rifle Bert Jones went to them at #2 overall.

memory might be failing me, but wasn't jeff george just ok in actual college production, but blew up when he showed off his arm strength? I remember him as the first of the workout warriors

memory might be failing me, but wasn't jeff george just ok in actual college production, but blew up when he showed off his arm strength? I remember him as the first of the workout warriors

I don't think so.  I think he was hyped from when he left high school, Todd Marinovich style.  I don't think his arm strength was any secret for the years leading up to the draft.  I think the fact that he transferred meant maybe he didn't have much production in college, but that happens with lots of these guys.

That's what comes from passing on HOF guys like Marino, Favre, Peyton Manning etc.... The Jets seemingly don't know what a good QB looks like so they keep getting it wrong. Even the FA QB's the Jets have gotten over the years leave a lot to be desired. Pennington - if he could have stayed healthy - would have been the best since Namath.

Peyton Manning was never friggin coming here in 2012.

This is my recollection as well (though not sure if he was the 1st of the workout warriors).

Are you joking with me or are you being serious?

We didn't have the #1 overall pick in 1998. We didn't even have any #1 pick in 1998. We turned him down in 1997, when we had the #1 overall pick, not 1998 when the Colts did.

I don't recall us turning down Manning in '97. He decided to stay at Tennessee one more year to try to win a national championship and that was back when people thought it actually helped players to stay all 4 years.

I don't recall us turning down Manning in '97. He decided to stay at Tennessee one more year to try to win a national championship and that was back when people thought it actually helped players to stay all 4 years.

Manning said he wanted to know if there was interest in him by Parcells before April 1st when his college starting training..He heard nothing so he went back to school..And he was right, Parcells had no interest in dealing with a rookie QB when he was only going to coach for 3 years..The no interest in him as the first pick with the Tuna plus if he came out and the Tuna traded down(Which he did) he might have got screwed like Archie did when he came out going to a team and coach he didn't want..  

Manning said he wanted to know if there was interest in him by Parcells before April 1st when his college starting training..He heard nothing so he went back to school..And he was right, Parcells had no interest in dealing with a rookie QB when he was only going to coach for 3 years..The no interest in him as the first pick with the Tuna plus if he came out and the Tuna traded down(Which he did) he might have got screwed like Archie did when he came out going to a team and coach he didn't want..

Take the boy school Savage.

If you don't recall it, then you weren't following the team back then (or not that closely), because it was huge news here and made every paper and radio show. No big deal if you weren't.

Players who decide to return for their senior season for a national championship - a player who's so "Go-Team" with his college squad - announces he's returning in December or January. Every player does this.  Manning didn't make this decision until we were into March, barely a month and a half before the draft.He said Parcells having the #1 pick is what caused him to not immediately announce returning for his senior season, and assumed Parcells wanted him.  

He had a hard deadline to enter the draft or return.  But as that deadline approached, he found out Parcells wasn't committing to taking him (i.e. Tuna was going to trade out of the spot so he could get a lot of picks), and Manning only then announced he'd be returning for his senior season. He gave a bunch of fluff about how this had nothing to do with the Jets, but who would return to his team by admitting he's only doing so reluctantly, because the great Bill Parcells was going to trade him away to some unknown other team? That they were his 2nd choice at best. Not exactly a thing that a team captain QB says and then expects open, waiting arms from his teammates. Manning's own mother (at that time) said they were waiting and waiting for Parcells to commit to him and he wouldn't.

Back then, Parcells made it no secret he felt the Jets weren't just 1 player away (which is why he traded out of the #1 spot, and then again from the #6 spot), and he was adamant about only signing on to coach the Jets for 3 seasons maximum. He wanted as many incoming players as he could get and didn't want rookies or other total-unknown types. He wanted to go with Glenn Foley, plus Belichick talked him into picking up Testaverde after Baltimore cut him (but he still went with Foley, twice).

If you don't recall it, then you weren't following the team back then (or not that closely), because it was huge news here and made every paper and radio show. No big deal if you weren't.

Players who decide to return for their senior season for a national championship - a player who's so "Go-Team" with his college squad - announces he's returning in December or January. Every player does this. Manning didn't make this decision until we were into March, barely a month and a half before the draft.He said Parcells having the #1 pick is what caused him to not immediately announce returning for his senior season, and assumed Parcells wanted him.

He had a hard deadline to enter the draft or return. But as that deadline approached, he found out Parcells wasn't committing to taking him (i.e. Tuna was going to trade out of the spot so he could get a lot of picks), and Manning only then announced he'd be returning for his senior season. He gave a bunch of fluff about how this had nothing to do with the Jets, but who would return to his team by admitting he's only doing so reluctantly, because the great Bill Parcells was going to trade him away to some unknown other team? That they were his 2nd choice at best. Not exactly a thing that a team captain QB says and then expects open, waiting arms from his teammates. Manning's own mother (at that time) said they were waiting and waiting for Parcells to commit to him and he wouldn't.

Back then, Parcells made it no secret he felt the Jets weren't just 1 player away (which is why he traded out of the #1 spot, and then again from the #6 spot), and he was adamant about only signing on to coach the Jets for 3 seasons maximum. He wanted as many incoming players as he could get and didn't want rookies or other total-unknown types. He wanted to go with Glenn Foley, plus Belichick talked him into picking up Testaverde after Baltimore cut him (but he still went with Foley, twice).

this is why I don't understand why some jets fans hold him in such high esteem.. the guy ****ed the next decade+ of the franchise and quit after 3 years like the fat primmadonna he was .. hate that dude

Here's a question that might seem a little counter-intuitive, but what the hell. Considering the ass-puckering bitch-ass chicken-sh*t loser way Peyton has played in the playoffs for his entire career, was it really that big of a loss? Jets fans would have run him out of town ten years ago.

Here's a question that might seem a little counter-intuitive, but what the hell. Considering the ass-puckering bitch-ass chicken-sh*t loser way Peyton has played in the playoffs for his entire career, was it really that big of a loss? Jets fans would have run him out of town ten years ago.

Yes we have been so much better off. Good call.

lol..  Thank god we didn't get that Manning guy, the last 16 years would've sucked.. All those home playoff games, who needs them

I have seen about 12 Jets quarterbacks play for them since 2003. The 3 best Jet qbs I have seen were Pennington, Favre only for 1 season and Mark Sanchez who assisted the Jets to 2 AFC Championship games which we lost of course.

The worst Jets quarterbacks I have seen are Brooks Bollinger, Kellen Clemens and Greg McElroy. There has been more bad then good with this franchise.

Archived