Brandon Bridge, QB - South Alabama

Paradis

I've been eluding in many posts to just how interested I am in Brandon aka Air Canada, but I want to make it official. He's my #1 QB down the stretch. Understand I don't mean he's the best QB in the draft class, but he's where value meets value. A mid round prospect who defines upside. It's gonna take a couple years of development, but no one outside of the potentially overrated top 2 guys, possesses anything remotely close to the potential Bridge has. 

He's flown under the radar for the most part (outside of draft forum junkies), but i think the combine is going to spotlight this kid and see his name thrown around in a lot discussions moving forward. 

Here;s a few news bits if you've never heard or read anything on him:

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock wrote that South Alabama QB Brandon Bridge has "got a whip; it's just he has no idea what he's doing yet."

"Brandon Bridge is interesting," Mayock said. "I saw him make a comment that said he could extend plays and he had the best arm of anybody at the combine. He's got a live arm. He's got a whip -- 6-5. I'm anxious to watch him throw. He's a project. He's very raw. He has no clue what he's doing." The 6-foot-5, 235-pound Bridge has an NFL-grade gun, and NFL-grade athleticism, but he's about as raw as they come, with happy feet and a propensity to fire fastballs to nearby receivers expecting changeups. CBS projects the signal-caller as a mid-to-late round draft pick. "The ball shoots off his hand and he has some traits you cannot teach," an AFC North scout said earlier this year. "I'm just not sure how naturally the game comes to him." Feb 18 - 2:50 PM

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein believes South Alabama senior QB Brandon Bridge "needs to show improvement with his footwork and touch in passing drills" at the combine.

"Bridge also has a slingshot for a throwing arm with an ability to feather in accurate, catchable deep balls to his receivers in stride. He's big and should test well at the combine, but needs to show improvement with his footwork and touch in passing drills," Zierlein wrote. The 6-foot-5, 235-pound Bridge showcases size and raw talent. Evaluators have taken notice of his elite-level arm strength and his mobility in the pocket as well. If a team is looking for a quarterback to groom at the next level, Bridge could be the perfect candidate on day three of the draft. Feb 12 - 4:04 PM
Source: NFL.com

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes South Alabama senior QB Brandon Bridge is a "worthy developmental QB prospect" in this years draft.

"I am glad SouthAlabama QB Brandon Bridge will be in Indy. One of the few worthy developmental QB prospects in this draft class," Brugler tweeted. Earlier this year, an AFC North scout praised Bridge's physical abilities but questioned whether the game came "naturally" to the 6-foot-5, 235-pound senior. Still, Bridge's physical abilities are tantalizing and he could end up a middle-round draft pick for a team looking for a project. Feb 5 - 4:12 PM

Brandon Bridge - QB - Jaguars

A scout speaking to CBS Sports said South Alabama senior QB Brandon Bridge "has some traits you cannot teach."

"He's as raw as he is talented," the AFC North scout said. "The ball shoots off his hand and he has some traits you cannot teach. I'm just not sure how naturally the game comes to him. How much better can he get? What is his football ceiling? I'm not sure. But he could end up being a bargain for a team that brings him along at his pace." CBS projects Bridge as a mid-to-late round draft pick, and ranks him as the No. 6 senior QB. "He has elite-level arm strength and release quickness with the ability to add velocity and extra RPM's on his throws with ease," CBS Sports' Dane Brugler wrote. "Bridge isn't shy about testing tight windows and trusts his arm to make frozen rope throws and put the ball anywhere he wants on the field. He has mobility to keep the play alive when the pocket breaks down, shaking off arm tackles and stepping up with his eyes downfield." According to the analyst, Bridge must work on his mechanics and accuracy.

Brandon Bridge - QB - Jaguars

An NFL source compared South Alabama QB Brandon Bridge to Colin Kaepernick.

"Bridge is building a real buzz inside war rooms," TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reported. "One league source compared his physical skills to Colin Kaepernick’s as Bridge has the arm strength to make all the throws as well as the leg speed to make big plays running the ball. When questioned about his rather ordinary completion percentage of 55% this season I was told there have been 40 recorded drops of catchable passes by South Alabama targets this season. Bridge will likely receive a Senior Bowl invite, though for disclosure purposes none of this is coming from Senior Bowl staff. If he does turn up in uniform next January in Mobile it will be a huge opportunity for Bridge." Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage said the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Bridge, a Canadian native, "has height, a big arm and the athleticism to develop."

Sounds like Logan Thomas.  He would have to be about a 3 year project at least.  If a team has the patience to stick with him that long might be worth the gamble.

Kind of but not really. I'm pretty sure Logan Thomas was a TE and was asked to convert to QB, Brandon turned down the request to convert to WR and as always been about being a QB. 

It's not really a gamble, i mean i know what you're saying, but if you draft him in the 4th, theres worse ways to spend that pick (Saunders anyone?). I read today that Nassib was being touted as a future starter. At some point WE have to work on someone too... granted the obvious rebuttle is that we don't have someone to man the fort management is sold on at the moment.  

I don't think he will be drafted till the 6th rd or so. All he is going to do is take a roster spot for a year, If you place him on the PS, you might just lose the pick come December  when he is signed of your PS. The 2nd year he may offer some value as a 3rd QB.  You know when Eli had that bad stretch last year, that is what this guy looks like all the time. 

Sounds like Logan Thomas.  He would have to be about a 3 year project at least.  If a team has the patience to stick with him that long might be worth the gamble.

Well, we're into year 3 of the "project" called Geno. Do you see progress? I don't. How much worse could a kid like this be?

I don't think he will be drafted till the 6th rd or so. All he is going to do is take a roster spot for a year, If you place him on the PS, you might just lose the pick come December when he is signed of your PS. The 2nd year he may offer some value as a 3rd QB. You know when Eli had that bad stretch last year, that is what this guy looks like all the time.

What are u even talking about? Eli looks bridge? First it was that garbage about Hardy and now this? Isn't there a playground you can go play in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of but not really. I'm pretty sure Logan Thomas was a TE and was asked to convert to QB, Brandon turned down the request to convert to WR and as always been about being a QB. 

It's not really a gamble, i mean i know what you're saying, but if you draft him in the 4th, theres worse ways to spend that pick (Saunders anyone?). I read today that Nassib was being touted as a future starter. At some point WE have to work on someone too... granted the obvious rebuttle is that we don't have someone to man the fort management is sold on at the moment.  

I would not draft him in the 4th that is for sure, too much of a long shot. 

here's what I don't get with some of the posters in this thread. If you have a problem with Geno smith, why on earth would you even consider this kid. This kid is like a tall guy in basket ball. The only reason he's even being considered as a prospect is because he can throw the ball a mile in a hurry. This kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 10 paces.

here's what I don't get with some of the posters in this thread. If you have a problem with Geno smith, why on earth would you even consider this kid. This kid is like a tall guy in basket ball. The only reason he's even being considered as a prospect is because he can throw the ball a mile in a hurry. This kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 10 paces.

You're basing this on what? Tin this is not accurate statement, and it reflect poorly on you. I'd wager a reasonable sum of money with you that he's selected before Mannion.

You're basing this on what? Tin this is not accurate statement, and it reflect poorly on you. I'd wager a reasonable sum of money with you that he's selected before Mannion.

Wagering is something I can't do. Let's just say I don't even play the lottery. Something about all my needs being provided for. I do happen to agree with you that he will probably get pick before Mannion, but that means what exactly. The NFL network has been running this show about 6 QB that went before their hero.

I read the comments about Bridge, and I was intrigued. Then I watched a few of his games, and he's horrible as far as accuracy is concern. The kid has wheels and a cannon, and that will get him notice.  Personally, as an undrafted developmental QB I prefer the kid from Prairie View A&M.

I still like Mannion, but I liked Sean Renfree  a lot 2 yrs ago and last yr I was hot for Taylor Lewan if Bridgewater was gone.  

Wagering is something I can't do. Let's just say I don't even play the lottery. Something about all my needs being provided for. I do happen to agree with you that he will probably get pick before Mannion, but that means what exactly. The NFL network has been running this show about 6 QB that went before their hero.

I read the comments about Bridge, and I was intrigued. Then I watched a few of his games, and he's horrible as far as accuracy is concern. The kid has wheels and a cannon, and that will get him notice. Personally, as an undrafted developmental QB I prefer the kid from Prairie View A&M.

I still like Mannion, but I liked Sean Renfree a lot 2 yrs ago and last yr I was hot for Taylor Lewan if Bridgewater was gone.

Watch them again. You're missing it.

What are u even talking about? Eli looks bridge? First it was that garbage about Hardy and now this? Isn't there a playground you can go play in?

What I was refering to was a 3 game stretch when Eli was throwing the ball 5 yards away from his receiver. This kid Bridge by all accounts has no touch at all.  And what about hardy?

Outside of Winston there isn't a qb worth a first or second rd pick in this draft. Mariota is a good athlete unless he plays for chip Kelly he's going to struggle in the NFL

If the guy is good enough to start off the bat for a borderline playoff team like the Eagles, some genius OC should be able to develop a decent offense around him pretty ******* quick. Chip Kelly did not ******* reinvent the game.

If the guy is good enough to start off the bat for a borderline playoff team like the Eagles, some genius OC should be able to develop a decent offense around him pretty ******* quick. Chip Kelly did not ******* reinvent the game.

Shows what you know. He's an innovator. No one else is smart enough to keep throwing his defense back onto the field as quickly as possible.

Dead last in the NFL in time of possession, with room to spare between themselves and the #31-ranked team, 2 out of 2 years and counting.

Shows what you know. He's an innovator. No one else is smart enough to keep throwing his defense back onto the field as quickly as possible.

Dead last in the NFL in time of possession, with room to spare between themselves and the #31-ranked team, 2 out of 2 years and counting.

Well, I will say for the record that Brandon Bridge would probably be a pretty sh*tty choice to run a Chip Kelly style offense as a rookie.

Here is, what I believe, to be the issue with QB's who come from Canadian rules football.

In many instances, accuracy is not as important as having a cannon arm.  The field is over 12 yards WIDER.  Think about that for a minute.  Straight one step drops and dump outs to your WR have to go 12 yards further without getting picked.  Now, CB's tend to play off more because one wrong step and your man is GONE.  Not to mention, WR's get to be in forward motion towards the LOS prior to the snap. 

If you can get the ball to a receiver, it is more up to him to get it, than it is to thread a needle.  I am not saying guys from Canada can't be accurate, but accuracy in many cases can be 'covered up' when a guy can get a ball to a WR quickly and let him make the adjustment to the ball. 

Well, I will say for the record that Brandon Bridge would probably be a pretty sh*tty choice to run a Chip Kelly style offense as a rookie.

So you're saying if we draft Brandon Bridge we shouldn't hire Chip Kelly? Got it. I'll email Maccagnan to tie a string around his finger so he doesn't forget.  :biggrin:

Here is, what I believe, to be the issue with QB's who come from Canadian rules football.

In many instances, accuracy is not as important as having a cannon arm.  The field is over 12 yards WIDER.  Think about that for a minute.  Straight one step drops and dump outs to your WR have to go 12 yards further without getting picked.  Now, CB's tend to play off more because one wrong step and your man is GONE.  Not to mention, WR's get to be in forward motion towards the LOS prior to the snap. 

If you can get the ball to a receiver, it is more up to him to get it, than it is to thread a needle.  I am not saying guys from Canada can't be accurate, but accuracy in many cases can be 'covered up' when a guy can get a ball to a WR quickly and let him make the adjustment to the ball. 

that's some good added perspective.

Should keep in mind tho, that it's been 4 years since he was playing ball in GTA. He's been down south learning the game for a few years now. I don't know what caliber of coaching he received in places like South Alabama, but i'd wager he'll get substantially better tutelage in the pros. He's not a child prodigy who's been thrusted into the position either, he's worked pretty hard to get where he is. I like that, and I like his chances. 

That offense is the most qb friendly crap ever. Mark Sanchez looked good in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Bridge is the third best qb in this draft class after Winston and Mariota. Say what you want the skill set is there that translates to the nfl.

Wouldn't mind him in the 5th rd but I would not be shocked if he didn't make it to there.

Bridge is the third best qb in this draft class after Winston and Mariota. Say what you want the skill set is there that translates to the nfl.

Wouldn't mind him in the 5th rd but I would not be shocked if he didn't make it to there.

Im not sure about this skill set but his accuracy is in the sh*tter, he's mobile but cannot run to his left and throw at the same time and when he does scramble his eyes fall so you already know that you can leave the WR's because he's no longer looking to throw. Im not hating on him but even if he was the 3rd best QB in the draft class that doesnt speak volumes when the draft class is considered to also be in the sh*tter. Jameis is the only pro ready QB worthy of a 1st round pick, and Mariota will go in the 1st round with 100% certainty only because the Eagles have a 1st round pick. If it wasnt for that and the hype that he's getting in a bad QB class he would easily go where his talents stated that he should go, which is the 2nd round.  

Bridge is a BIG project. A team that has stability at the position but maybe has an older QB may want to take on the project and hope that by the time their current QB retires then bridge will be ready by year 3 or 4. But I wouldnt be shocked if he wasnt even drafted and he's certainly not ready to play professional football right now. 

Archived