2015 New York Yankees Baseball Thread

Jetlife33

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holder 

On scouting report alone I'm not loving the SS we selected. College player who's bat is still a project. Floor Brendan Ryan, ceiling who? Elvis Andrus?

Brandon Crawford is the comp im seeing the most. Best case scenario. 

Baseball America:

The athletic 6-foot-1, 185-pounder doesn't run better than average and has an uphill lefthanded swing path, which one scout compared to a cricket swing.

Jesus. College Cito Culver?

"Okay bat, okay speed, not a ton of power, crazy good glove and tremendous athlete that emerged late, so some scouts think the bat will come. Brandon Crawford or so." - Kiley McDaniel on Holder

NFL draft is hard enough, MLB draft is incredibly hard to predict. In previous years I studied these players and had a wishlist of players, I've totally giving that up.

Hopefully we don't draft another Cito Culver, I could probably hit as well as that kid blindfolded.

Totally agree.

I can't imagine being a professional baseball scout.  That's like picking lottery tickets for a living.

I don't know how these picks will turn out, but if they are like our previous draft selections I don't have high hopes.

Our drafts have too many CJ Henry's, Jeremy Bleich's, Cito Culver's, Gosuke Katoh's, Dante Bichette's.

Baseball today is littered with great young talent, arms and bats. And the Yankees don't have any of them.

It's amazing to me Damon Oppenheimer still has a job.

Ivan Nova made his first rehab start for the Tampa Yankees (Single-A) tonight:

Final line- 4.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 72 P (55 S).

If they Yankees wanted to he could probably make his next start for big club, but I doubt it. No need to rush. Get him up around 85 pitches his next start I bet. Still curious who he replaces in rotation, or if they go to 6-man instead of 5-man rotation.

I don't know how these picks will turn out, but if they are like our previous draft selections I don't have high hopes.

Our drafts have too many CJ Henry's, Jeremy Bleich's, Cito Culver's, Gosuke Katoh's, Dante Bichette's.

Baseball today is littered with great young talent, arms and bats. And the Yankees don't have any of them.

Amen.

I mean it works both ways, every team screws up in the draft. These guys are the same guys who picked Lindgren last year and he's already in the bigs making an impact on this years club and also the same guys who picked Judge and Jagielo in the first round of 2013 that everyone seems to love. So we'll see.

I mean it works both ways, every team screws up in the draft. These guys are the same guys who picked Lindgren last year and he's already in the bigs making an impact on this years club and also the same guys who picked Judge and Jagielo in the first round of 2013 that everyone seems to love. So we'll see.

These guys have only been good at drafting relievers. While I'm hopeful on players like Judge, I'm always in a wait and see with these players.

The one thing that is interesting about Holder is that apparently he was a big basketball recruit coming out of high school and did not start focusing on baseball full time until he got to college. His best baseball may be ahead of him. 

The one thing that is interesting about Holder is that apparently he was a big basketball recruit coming out of high school and did not start focusing on baseball full time until he got to college. His best baseball may be ahead of him.

And on top of that I like 2-sport athetes they seem to have a better understanding of the game at a younger age.

No. 92 overall (Rd. 3): RHP Drew Finley, Rancho Bernardo HS (San Diego, CA)
Drew is the son of current Dodgers VP of Scouting David Finley, and the 6-foot righty comes from the same high school that produced Phillies lefty Cole Hamels, Yankees 2013 second-round pick Gosuke Katoh, and outfielder Alex Jackson, the No. 6 overall pick by the Mariners in 2014.

This season, Finley is 11-1 with a 0.81 ERA in 16 games (15 starts) for the Broncos, striking out 131 in 86 innings - including a 20-strikeout performance back in April - en route to helping Rancho Bernardo win the CIF San Diego Sectional Championship. 

No. 123 overall (Rd. 4): OF Jeffrey Hendrix, Oregon State University
Hendrix, a lefty-hitting, righty-batting junior center fielder, was a First Team All-Pac-12 selection this season, leading the Beavers with a .339 average, 75 hits, 45 runs, 118 total bases, 15 doubles, a .534 slugging percentage and .446 on-base percentage. He was also second on the team with 34 RBI and third with six home runs and five stolen bases.

No. 153 overall (Rd. 5): RHP Chance Adams, Dallas Baptist University
Adams, a 6-foot junior reliever, was the third member of the Dallas Baptist staff to be selected on Day 2. The 20-year-old was a Second Team All-Missouri Valley Conference selection this past season, helping the Patriots reach the NCAA Dallas Regional finals by going 7-1 with a 1.99 ERA and two saves in 22 appearances and striking out 77 over 54 1/3 innings.

No. 183 overall (Rd. 6): 2B Brandon Wagner, Howard College (Texas)
Wagner, a native of Hopewell, N.J., was one of the top offensive producers in NJCAA Region V this season, hitting .435 with 22 homers, 80 RBI, 20 doubles, and an .891 slugging percentage in 59 games. The lefty-hitting, righty-throwing second baseman earned both All-Conference and All-Region honors, and helped lead Howard to the WJCAC conference title and a berth in the Region V Tournament. He was also an Honorable Mention All-WJCAC player as a freshman after hitting .314 with four homers, 49 RBI, and 15 doubles in 2014

No. 213 overall (Rd. 7): OF Jhalan Jackson, Florida Southern College
Jackson, a junior right fielder, was named as a Division II All-American by the ABCA, NCBWA, and Daktronics, and was one of 32 semifinalists for the Tino Martinez Award, which is given to the most outstanding player in NCAA Division II. This season, the righty-righty outfielder played 45 games for the Mocs, leading the team with a .415 average, 20 home runs, 72 RBI, a .476 on-base percentage, and an .857 slugging percentage.

No. 243 overall (Rd. 8): 3B Donny Sands, Salpointe Catholic HS (Tucson, AZ)
A shortstop for much of his high school career, Sands is a 6-foot-2, righty-righty infielder who hit .450 with 36 RBI in 33 games for the Lancers this season, helping them go 27-7 and finish third in the Arizona State Division II Tournament. He also made 12 appearances on the mound, posting a 2.40 ERA, six saves, and 38 strikeouts in 23 1/3 innings over 12 appearances.

No. 273 overall (Rd. 9): 1B Ryan Krill, Michigan State University 
A 6-foot-4 senior first baseman from Kalamazoo, MI, Ryan Krill hit .351 and slugged .615 in his senior season with the Spartans. Krill bats lefty but throws right-handed, and led his team with a .993 fielding percentage as a junior, and also had four separate five-game hitting streaks that year. Named to the Academic All-Big Ten team as both a sophomore and junior, Krill's offensive game took a leap his senior year, recording collegiate career highs in average (.351), runs (42), hits (72), homers (13), and OPS (1.054). He also committed just one error in 56 games as a senior.

Ivan Nova made his first rehab start for the Tampa Yankees (Single-A) tonight:

Final line- 4.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 72 P (55 S).

If they Yankees wanted to he could probably make his next start for big club, but I doubt it. No need to rush. Get him up around 85 pitches his next start I bet. Still curious who he replaces in rotation, or if they go to 6-man instead of 5-man rotation.

Injury Updates: Ivan Nova (elbow) is going to travel to New York to throw a bullpen session for pitching coach Larry Rothschild, then he’ll make a rehab start with Triple-A Scranton. The Yankees will then determine if he’s ready or needs another rehab outing.

Archived