Jets 1st Round Pick Could Come Down to White vs Cooper

JetNation

Kevin White, Amari Cooper

By Glenn Naughton

With the NFL combine underway, draft season has officially arrived.  Over the next two-plus months, stories, rumors, speculation and leaks will be flooding the internet as armchair GM’s chime in on how teams around the NFL should spend their draft picks.

For the New York Jets, the needs are plenty and their current draft slot is high as they sit at number six overall.   Roughly seventy days away from the draft and early on the Jets have been linked to a slew of players. Two of those players are wide receivers Amari Cooper of Alabama and Kevin White out of West Virginia.  Both would be logical choices to team up with Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, and Jace Amaro  if the Jets do in fact part ways with WR Percy Harvin.

With that in mind, JetNation.com takes a look  at Cooper and White, comparing their size, overall college production, and signature performances, to go along with some opinions from NFL insiders.

Size:

Cooper- 6′ 1”, 210 lbs

White- 6′ 3”, 219 lbs

College Production:

Cooper- In 38 career college games, Cooper hauled in 228 passes for 3,463 yards and 31 touchdowns at Alabama, a staggering percentage was a result of an incredible 2014 for the Junior from Miami, FL.  He led the nation with 124 catches for 1,727 yards in 2014, finishing second in touchdowns with 16.  As a result, Cooper was named SEC offensive player of the year, and also received the Fred Biletnikoff award, given to the nation’s top receiver.

White- Having played fifteen fewer college games than Cooper, White’s career numbers of 144/1,954/15 are dwarfed by Cooper’s output, but don’t let the numbers fool you.  White, along with Cooper, was one of the best offensive players in the country last season.  At West Virginia, he logged  1,447 yards on 109 catches to go along with 10 touchdowns.

Signature Performance:

Cooper- Against Auburn University in the Iron Bowl, Cooper came up huge in a 55-44 Alabama victory. His 13 catches for 224 yards and three touchdowns played a huge role in the two teams setting the all-time combined scoring record in the 45 year history of the Iron Bowl.

White- Big time players step up in big games, and in West Virginia’s 2014 matchup against no. 4 Baylor, White turned in one of his best performances of the season.  Facing a Baylor defense that held opposing quarterbacks to a under 55% completion percentage and fewer 265 yards per game through the air, White proved to be too much to handle.  His  8 catches for 132 yards and 2 touchdowns led the Mountaineers to their biggest win of the season as they upset Baylor by a score of 41-27.

What Scouts are Saying:

Cooper:

Mike Mayock in a recent teleconference in discussing Cooper said, “I think Cooper from Alabama has got the highest score,” Mayock said. “In other words, I think he’s the safest pick of that group. Really good route runner, had over 100 catches last year, reminds me of some of those wide outs that played on the Greatest Show on Turf with Dick Vermeil in St. Louis, Torry Holt, for example, that type of wide receiver,

White:

Mayock continued his comments regarding White however, saying “My number one wide receiver is Kevin White from West Virginia,” the analyst said. “I think I know what Amari Cooper is, what a great football player he is. But I have Kevin White above him because I think he’s got a higher ceiling. I think his potential is greater. He’s 6-foot-3, 219 pounds, but I want to know what he runs. I have all over my notes that he’s a 4.5-flat guy (in the 40-yard dash).

So, if either or both of these players are on the board when the Jets are on the clock, will one of them be wearing green and white on Sundays?  In just over two months we’ll find out.

Be sure to check out our draft forum to talk about the NY Jets Draft.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
4-imsDpMoGQ

View the full article

I keep hearing better and better things about white lately. I'd take either, with pleasure.

Same here.  I think what wins me over is he is a bigger threat in the red zone yet has shown some explosiveness and the ability to separate.  He can also go up and get the ball at it's highest point; the guy really reminds me of a faster Larry Fitz.  I like the Torrey  Holt comparisons for Cooper.  Alot is going to depend on how fast he runs.  

Very unlikely both players are on the board at six but good to look at side by side. Sometimes I worry about guys who fly up draft boards after the season ends. Even though he was shut down vs. TCU, White did have some incredible games. Sixteen or seventeen catches vs. Texas late in the season.

If I had to decide between the two it would be Kevin White for sure. There are things that you must do when you dont have the ball in your hands. Look at these two videos and see the difference. When the ball doesnt go to Amari he completely stops playing. There was one play near the goal line that he basically begins to walk back to the side line in the middle of a pile-on in which a fumble occurs that he could have been in on if he wasnt concerned about getting off the field. At the beginning of the play he doesnt even lay a hand on the defender to block. If the running back had to bounce to the outside then Cooper's man would have been able to make a play because Cooper isn't interested in helping score the touchdown by blocking. Half the time he doesnt block, and the other half he's terrible at it. Kevin White is active all the time.

Amari Cooper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpMiSYYcqVE

Kevin White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InX0BAQJ0aU#t=284

However, If I had a shot at anyone then I'd say Devante Parker before both. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if both were gone before we pick at 6 if they both have a good showing at the combine, although it may be unlikely both the raiders and titans are hurting for a good WR (worse than the Jets are) I couldn't really picture the titans grabbing a qb at pick number 2 but crazier things have happened. Either way there are decent WRs that will be there in round 2 and one thing we don't have is a shortage of needs at other positions.

I see the Jets taking Torry Smith as a FA and taking the Michigan State CB at number six. Maccagnan will settle key issues on the o-line and WR in free agency because the Jets HAVE to spend something like 80 percent of their cap space to be in compliance with NFL rules. I see Mike Iupati, Smith, Antonio Cromartie and C.J. Spiller coming aboard in FA with Mo Wilk, Snacks and Harris being given extentions. The team can then turn its attention to it's most obvious need. The defensive secondary.

Maccagnan is going to sweep in low-key and draft Scherff and be like what

Can't say I'd mind at all.  It's never the sexy pick, but look what the Jets did when they had a dominant line and what going O-line in the first round for consecutive seasons did for the Cowboys offense.

White will be the better WR....I would love to have a K. White.

You will get wiah and Raiders will get the best player in draft IMO.

Coop is a full year younger than White, still has a growth spurt, will outwork any WR on team.  Has highest character in draft, you have to question why White went to Lackawanna JC for 2 yrs. last wr jets drafted from WVU was reggie rembert.  White is a very good player no doubt and will help jets.

Coop plays faster than 40x, the NFL simulcast had Coop beating white. Savage clocked coop at 4.35.  More important meas is 3 cone drill, where Coop had best time,

I think we're all cutting hairs here with White/Cooper.

I think they both will be great pros. Cooper is the best route runner & that is the most important thing to the QB, knowing exactly where he will be. Do the Titans have a stud WR?

It's not out of the realm of possibility that both are gone before our pick but if I were a betting man, I would say finding OLB pass rushers is much harder than WRs. So with that said a couple of those guys will be picked pushing the receivers down.

Fowler/Gregory/Ray/Beasley

Pass rushers are always a premium in the NFL! You wont find those guys in the 2nd round but there will be plenty of WRs available in the 2nd round. That's how scouts look at it.

Idzik screwed up by waiting until the 4th round & compounded it by picking the wrong players. Saunders was just a stupid pick, who the hell knows about Shaq Evans.

Give me DeVante Parker he will be the best in this class when all said is done.

You would really take Parker over Cooper or White? Or are you saying you like the value of Parker better, possibly in the later 1st round?

Because I have a similar thing with the two QBs. I'd still love Mariota at 6 but tbh, if they could snag Hundley in the 2nd round (or in the later first via trade) I might be just as happy. I think. 

If I had to decide between the two it would be Kevin White for sure. There are things that you must do when you dont have the ball in your hands. Look at these two videos and see the difference. When the ball doesnt go to Amari he completely stops playing. There was one play near the goal line that he basically begins to walk back to the side line in the middle of a pile-on in which a fumble occurs that he could have been in on if he wasnt concerned about getting off the field. At the beginning of the play he doesnt even lay a hand on the defender to block. If the running back had to bounce to the outside then Cooper's man would have been able to make a play because Cooper isn't interested in helping score the touchdown by blocking. Half the time he doesnt block, and the other half he's terrible at it. Kevin White is active all the time.

Amari Cooper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpMiSYYcqVE

Kevin White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InX0BAQJ0aU#t=284

However, If I had a shot at anyone then I'd say Devante Parker before both. 

I agree!

Devante parker is going to be the best WR of this class IMO. I'm hoping that similarly to the year John Abraham was chosen by us, that our regime can see through the headlines and take that guy. 

We could even make the eagle trade (which isn't happening) and potentially still get Devante at 20. Long shot but possible. Boy oh boy would I cream for such a scenario. and by cream I mean whipped cream of course.

You will get wiah and Raiders will get the best player in draft IMO.

Coop is a full year younger than White, still has a growth spurt, will outwork any WR on team.  Has highest character in draft, you have to question why White went to Lackawanna JC for 2 yrs. last wr jets drafted from WVU was reggie rembert.  White is a very good player no doubt and will help jets.

Coop plays faster than 40x, the NFL simulcast had Coop beating white. Savage clocked coop at 4.35.  More important meas is 3 cone drill, where Coop had best time,

First of all, White is 2 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier. The fact that he ran 4.35 at that size and weight is special.  How do you know that "Coop"(what are you his brother or something?) has a growth spurt?  How do you know he will out work any receiver and how can you say he has the highest character in the draft??  And no I don't have to question why White went JC.  Lots have players have done the same so I don't see what the issue there is.   You say Cooper plays faster than his time and White doesn't?  White has outstanding leaping ability and will go up and get the ball at its highest point.  He is still developing as a route runner and other nuances of his craft and his ceiling is through the roof.  He has already demonstrated to be a better blocker than Cooper.   Cooper may be more "NFL" ready and that is a good thing.  White still has room to improve as a receiver but he is already pretty darn good.  I take him in a heartbeat and never think twice. 

Hell, I think Devante Parker will be better than Cooper and so may DGB.   If we get Cooper I will be fine with that but I believe the player with the bigger upside is White. 

First of all, White is 2 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier. The fact that he ran 4.35 at that size and weight is special.  How do you know that "Coop"(what are you his brother or something?) has a growth spurt?  How do you know he will out work any receiver and how can you say he has the highest character in the draft??  And no I don't have to question why White went JC.  Lots have players have done the same so I don't see what the issue there is.   You say Cooper plays faster than his time and White doesn't?  White has outstanding leaping ability and will go up and get the ball at its highest point.  He is still developing as a route runner and other nuances of his craft and his ceiling is through the roof.  He has already demonstrated to be a better blocker than Cooper.   Cooper may be more "NFL" ready and that is a good thing.  White still has room to improve as a receiver but he is already pretty darn good.  I take him in a heartbeat and never think twice. 

Hell, I think Devante Parker will be better than Cooper and so may DGB.   If we get Cooper I will be fine with that but I believe the player with the bigger upside is White. 

Please tell me where White played during his frosh and soph yrs?

Cooper is still a baby, turns 21 this June.

Archived