Powell generating buzz

DaBallhawk

3. Bilal be seeing you? To the public, Jets running back Bilal Powell isn't a high-profile pending free agent, but he's generating buzz in league circles. I spoke to coaches from two teams that described Powell as an underrated talent who will draw interest on the open market. With Chris Ivory and Chris Johnson splitting most of the carries last season, Powell was the forgotten man. He finished with only 44 touches. If anyone had a right to complain (pay attention, Chris Johnson), it was Powell. Opponents were aware of him. In Week 12, he was an 11th-hour scratch due to an illness, prompting the Buffalo Bills to alter their game plan. They called more blitzes than usual, knowing the Jets would miss Powell's pass-protecting ability. The Jets could lose Powell, especially if they make a run at the Bills' C.J. Spiller.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49358/five-things-we-learned-at-combine-jets

It's a shame we can't seem to get him going here. Last year before we brought in CJ he was supposed to be "that guy" behind Ivory, but we went with CJ instead. This year finally we thought he'd be the guy and now Spiller is being brought up. Spiller would be a good fit here with Chan and everything, especially as a change of pace type guy, but I'd rather have Powell stick around. He's a safer bet, he's younger, a better blocker and I love how patient he is, he reads blocks very well, really good vision, great cuts. Oh well. If a team like Baltimore, Denver or somebody likes that picks him up and gives him the ball 150-200 times he'll have a tremendous year I'm sure. I don't see him sticking around if we go after Spiller...

Would love to keep Powell and Ivory and draft a RB. If the money you are paying Powell is peanuts compare to what someone like Spiller might ask for.

Powell will make another team's GM look brilliant. He's a "DO YOUR JOB" type of player, and if paired with a coach that values that similar to how Beli does, he's going to be productive. Hate to seem him never really get a shot here. 

Would love to keep Powell and Ivory and draft a RB. If the money you are paying Powell is peanuts compare to what someone like Spiller might ask for.

Powell will make another team's GM look brilliant. He's a "DO YOUR JOB" type of player, and if paired with a coach that values that similar to how Beli does, he's going to be productive. Hate to seem him never really get a shot here. Spiller wouldn't be that expensive you only as good for what you did last yr, we could possibly sign them both cheap 

I thought he was a bit of a jag before last year but he played really well when given the chance last year.  Not terribly worried either way though.  RB's are a dime a dozen.

Funny, I think he is a JAG now.  I don't think of JAG as a big insult though.  He is an NFL quality player, but not special.  He will give an honest effort and is steady in all facets.  Good guy to have around, but I'm not exactly worried about losing him.  I think he will be successful elsewhere.

Funny, I think he is a JAG now. I don't think of JAG as a big insult though. He is an NFL quality player, but not special. He will give an honest effort and is steady in all facets. Good guy to have around, but I'm not exactly worried about losing him. I think he will be successful elsewhere.

I agree. The problem I have with Powell is he will not put fear in the opposing defense. Ivory, you know he's going to lower that shoulder. Spiller, can be one cut away from taking it 80 yards.

Funny, I think he is a JAG now.  I don't think of JAG as a big insult though.  He is an NFL quality player, but not special.  He will give an honest effort and is steady in all facets.  Good guy to have around, but I'm not exactly worried about losing him.  I think he will be successful elsewhere.

Why does everybody have to be "special"? The guy is a backup, he doesn't have to be Adrian Peterson. What he's asked to do he did/does extremely well, what more do you want? Why does everybody have to have HOF/Pro Bowl potential? Why always go with the extremes? The boom/bust types? Why not pay less for something rock solid instead of overpaying for something you might not get (see CJ/Vick etc.)? Powell can have a similar season Forsett had last year with the Ravens in the right scheme. I'd hate to see him do that somewhere else, especially if the Spiller thing doesn't work out (in terms of signing him or him playing well).

Funny, I think he is a JAG now. I don't think of JAG as a big insult though. He is an NFL quality player, but not special. He will give an honest effort and is steady in all facets. Good guy to have around, but I'm not exactly worried about losing him. I think he will be successful elsewhere.

By the way, you cannot say he's a JAG and think he will be successful. LOL

Why does everybody have to be "special"? The guy is a backup, he doesn't have to be Adrian Peterson. What he's asked to do he did/does extremely well, what more do you want? Why does everybody have to have HOF/Pro Bowl potential? Why always go with the extremes? The boom/bust types? Why not pay less for something rock solid instead of overpaying for something you might not get (see CJ/Vick etc.)? Powell can have a similar season Forsett had last year with the Ravens in the right scheme. I'd hate to see him do that somewhere else, especially if the Spiller thing doesn't work out (in terms of signing him or him playing well).

Did you read where I said that I did not consider calling him a JAG to be an insult?  He is fine.  A guy I would be happy to keep, but I am not all excited about it either.  Solid is nice, but with a bad QB, IMO the Jets can use some more homerun ability and a guy like Powell will probably have more value to another team.  You are assuming that Powell will "be getting less" I am not so sure.  It is not like he is some kind of great secret. 

By the way, you cannot say he's a JAG and think he will be successful. LOL

I can and I did!  Just another guy.  An NFL level replacement.  At RB that is fine.

Did you read where I said that I did not consider calling him a JAG to be an insult?  He is fine.  A guy I would be happy to keep, but I am not all excited about it either.  Solid is nice, but with a bad QB, IMO the Jets can use some more homerun ability and a guy like Powell will probably have more value to another team.  You are assuming that Powell will "be getting less" I am not so sure.  It is not like he is some kind of great secret. 

I can and I did!  Just another guy.  An NFL level replacement.  At RB that is fine.

That's why I meant by boom or bust type attitude. People always rather go for somebody who potentially could do some crazy things, instead of just going with somebody you can count on, that might not be able to potentially do the same crazy things. That's what made us draft Stephen Hill. Ahead of a Jeffery. Perfect example. That's why we signed CJ instead of playing Powell. Another big mistake. Stick with the guy you know you can count on instead of gambling and bringing in somebody you have no idea what he'll give you in terms of production. Besides, this home run hitter term is so outdated, overused, totally useless. A RB has to be able to read blocks, he has to have vision, break tackles, be able to cut on a dime. That's what makes RB's great. Not their ability to run up the middle through a huge hole and take it to the house. Anybody can do that, unless your name is Jerome Bettis. Most backs are fast enough to at the very least create a huge play if there's a giant gap opening up. It's not like it takes a lot of skill to do that. Chris Johnson is a good example, his bigruns last season were absolutely garbage, there was no skill involved.

Yes. Catches the ball well, home run hitter in theory. Of course he needs great blocking in order to do that. He's Chris Johnson 2-3 years ago.

I agree, sorta. The main reason I want him is because he averaged nearly 6 YPC in this type of offense. I wouldn't mind giving him a Chris Johnson type of contract.

Really like Powell and wish they'd have gotten him more playing time.  Does all things well and especially strong in blitz pick-up.  I hope the incoming regime likes him enough to retain him. 

Powell will make another team's GM look brilliant. He's a "DO YOUR JOB" type of player, and if paired with a coach that values that similar to how Beli does, he's going to be productive. Hate to seem him never really get a shot here.

I agree, he's an ideal committee member. A great third down back in that he's solid both catching the ball and in pass protection. I'd like to see the new regime show him some love, and get him signed before free agency starts. I'm also not sold on Spiller at all, and doubt he'll be worth what he gets on the open market. Much rather draft a back, even as high as the second round. Spend the free agent budget in the defensive backfield, instead, where its critically needed.

That's why I meant by boom or bust type attitude. People always rather go for somebody who potentially could do some crazy things, instead of just going with somebody you can count on, that might not be able to potentially do the same crazy things. That's what made us draft Stephen Hill. Ahead of a Jeffery. Perfect example. That's why we signed CJ instead of playing Powell. Another big mistake. Stick with the guy you know you can count on instead of gambling and bringing in somebody you have no idea what he'll give you in terms of production. Besides, this home run hitter term is so outdated, overused, totally useless. A RB has to be able to read blocks, he has to have vision, break tackles, be able to cut on a dime. That's what makes RB's great. Not their ability to run up the middle through a huge hole and take it to the house. Anybody can do that, unless your name is Jerome Bettis. Most backs are fast enough to at the very least create a huge play if there's a giant gap opening up. It's not like it takes a lot of skill to do that. Chris Johnson is a good example, his bigruns last season were absolutely garbage, there was no skill involved.

1. If the Jets drafted Jeffery he would probably be 300 lbs and people would be complaining that we drafted such a boom or bust prospect.

2.  Bilal Powell is an okay player, but he was the RB on some pretty sh*tty offenses. The idea that we should not try to upgrade is laughable. When the offense doesn't score you try to get better.  Powell and Johnson had the same ypc, but Johnson is a washed up has been and Bilal Powell is a must keep?  How much are you willing to pay him? The guy averages sub 4 ypc for his career. 

I agree, he's an ideal committee member. A great third down back in that he's solid both catching the ball and in pass protection. I'd like to see the new regime show him some love, and get him signed before free agency starts. I'm also not sold on Spiller at all, and doubt he'll be worth what he gets on the open market. Much rather draft a back, even as high as the second round. Spend the free agent budget in the defensive backfield, instead, where its critically needed.

One of the mocks I like has Melvin Gordon going to the jets with pick #37.  If mccags can trade down a few slots, we could potentially get a solid pass rusher, WR and Gordon in the first 2 rounds

One of the mocks I like has Melvin Gordon going to the jets with pick #37.  If mccags can trade down a few slots, we could potentially get a solid pass rusher, WR and Gordon in the first 2 rounds

You do know that the earth isn't flat right ?

If the Jets should retain Bilal Powell, the RBs that the Jets should be looking at are TJ Yeldon and David Cobb. Both these players offer what both Powell and Ivory offer in 1 player.

he had 44 touches in 16 games. you understand that... right?

What the **** is with you people?  Are you ******* related to him?  Did I say he sucks and doesn't belong on a roster? 

He is not a rookie.  He has 14 starts and exactly one (count it!) one 100+ yard game.  His career ypc is 3.9.  You understand that... right?  The whole board wants to jump up and down and say "Never sign a running back to his 2nd contract!"  and Bilal Powell is the guy you want to make an exception for?  I'm okay with having him back, but not if he is actually "generating buzz" and going to get a serious contract

What the **** is with you people?  Are you ******* related to him?  Did I say he sucks and doesn't belong on a roster? 

He is not a rookie.  He has 14 starts and exactly one (count it!) one 100+ yard game.  His career ypc is 3.9.  You understand that... right?  The whole board wants to jump up and down and say "Never sign a running back to his 2nd contract!"  and Bilal Powell is the guy you want to make an exception for?  I'm okay with having him back, but not if he is actually "generating buzz" and going to get a serious contract

Spiller flat out sucked last season. His avg per carry realistically was probably around 1-2 yds if you take away the 2 bigruns he had. You don't get much bang for your buck with him. 95% of the time he'll get stuffed for no gain, kill drives. Is it worth handing him the ball 200 times to maybe get a couple of bigruns out of him? I rather have a guy like Powell who will give you 3-4 yards every time he carries the ball to move the chains.

Bilal Powell has the type of talent every NFL team needs. Not every back is a starter, but not every backup can do what this kid is capable of if given the proper opportunity.

Agreed 100% - plus the kid is a dream locker room and team guy. Hope we find a way to keep him.

Other than the jets who wants to sign spiller? jesus lets go ahead and get rid of the guy who has done nothing but perform for us.

The only reason people believe we might go after him is because he happened to be one of the players under Chan a few years ago. It's not skill-related whatsoever. If Chan wasn't hired, if Spiller played for the Raiders a few years ago, whatever, nobody would have brought him up. So this doesn't make much sense to me. Sure, there will be a couple of teams interested in signing him as a change of pace type option. But that's because they don't have a guy like Powell. Hell, around the league Powell generates more interest, people would prefer to have him over Spiller. Yet we have him on our roster and we let him walk? Sounds just stupid. The guy has been nothing but tremendous for us ever since we drafted him. He's improved so much in every area, he never complained, always waited for his number to be called, went out there and ran the ball as hard as anyone else just so they could take him off the field again after one play. He's at a point where he's about to take off now, he's ready to take that next step and become a 1000+ yard rusher a la Forsett. It'd be stupid to let him walk. He's young, no wear and tear, he was drafted by us. It just makes no sense to me to let him walk unless of course he's looking for a huge payday or a #1 job and there is just absolutely no way any of that is on his mind.

Archived