TRADE dept. ~ ~ ~

kelly

The Titans and Jay Cutler have been connected all offseason. Since the Bears quarterback was benched towards the end of last season talks of Cutler being traded to the Titans have been kicked around. Now, there is a new rumor of a trade and it involves the Titans first round pick.

According to a video from Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole, the some with the Bears organization are very interested in Marcus Mariota. Not believing he will fall to Chicago’s 7th pick, Cole reports the team is interested in a trade with Tennessee. In return, the Titans would likely get Cutler and the Bears pick.

It should also be noted that Cole’s report that Bears coach John Fox was brought in to “fix” Cutler is generally agreed upon to not be true.

> http://nashville.suntimes.com/tennessee-titans/7/118/134673/jay-cutler-titans-marcus-mariota

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The past year has been a whirlwind for Johnny Manziel and the Browns.

Is the rocky relationship about to end ?

According to Chat Sports, the Browns are looking into a breakup. In an article posted on Monday evening, Mack Ferguson of Chat Sports reported that the Browns "have engaged in multiple discussions" to trade Manziel and a high draft pick to the Eagles for quarterback Sam Bradford.

Ferguson's information comes from a source "very close to an agent involved in the trade talks."

On late Monday evening, I spoke with Chat Sports founder and CEO James Yoder via email to confirm the story and the legitimacy of the source. Yoder said of the story and source:

"We only go out on a limb like this if the source has direct contact to the situation. The source in the situation is a very close friend of one of the agents of a player involved in the potential trade and took a 25 minute call with our staff today. He (or we) cant guarantee the trade takes place, but we can with 100% confidence say that the content we published is factual."

Chat Sports is not a traditional, widely respected media outlet, such as ESPN, Cleveland.com. Pro Football Talk, etc. However, the site has broken major stories before. For instance, Ferguson published an article on Chat Sports about Jim Harbaugh and Michigan on December 19. In the piece, Ferguson cited two different sources, stating: "Harbaugh is indeed set to become Michigan’s head football coach." On December 27, national media outlets began to confirm the news.According to one DBN source in Berea, the Manziel trade rumors are false. Which source is right ? The truth is that we don't know.

As we await confirmation from other sources and media outlets, let's consider the plausibility of a Browns-Eagles trade.First of all, the two teams have previously discussed a trade involving a quarterback this offseason. The Browns offered a first round pick for Sam Bradford after the Eagles acquired the veteran from the Rams. When Bradford was a Ram, the Browns showed interest in trading for Bradford, according to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report on February 18.  As recently as March 31, Pro Football Talk reported that the Browns might make another run at Bradford.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated last Wednesday that the Browns are "90 percent" done with Manziel. Several Browns beat reporters have refuted this idea, including ESPN.com's Jeremy Fowler. However, evidence points in favor of Mortensen.On February 18, head coach Mike Pettine said that "all options are on the table" after Manziel entered rehab. On March 10, Pettine said he would be "comfortable" with Josh McCown as the starting quarterback. Plus, Peter King backed up Mortensen, at least in regards to Mortensen's report of offseason quarterback discussions. In his most recent Monday Morning Quarterback column, King wrote :

"Mortensen is 100 percent accurate here. In fact, when the quarterbacks have been discussed this offseason in-house, Josh McCown is the dominant talking point, and then
Thad Lewis
, signed last month as a free agent. Then comes Manziel and Connor Shaw. The point is that Manziel has given the Browns no reason to think he’s the long-term answer at quarterback."

Moving forward, Manziel is expected to complete rehab and return to the Browns by mid-April in time for OTAs. Pettine recently said that he was "optimistic" about this possibility.On Monday, Browns left tackle Joe Thomas dropped a piece of interesting information about Manziel in an interview with Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com. The team captain said: "I think [Manziel] lost probably a lot of trust among the guys on the team last year by the way he handled himself once he became the starter."

From all of this evidence, it's safe to say that the Browns are at least somewhat interested in trading Manziel.Eagles head coach Chip Kelly has a close connection to Marcus Mariota. Kelly coached the first round quarterback prospect during his tenure at Oregon. Despite early denials by Kelly, rumors have persisted that Kelly will attempt to trade up for Mariota in the upcoming NFL Draft.In his most recent press conference on March 25, Kelly did not reveal his intentions, as noted by NJ.comThe Washington Post composed a good piece on the idea on March 30, giving further insight into the Kelly-Mariota connection.Thanks to the above evidence, we can conclude that Kelly could be willing to trade Bradford in order to acquire Mariota.However, as noted by the Chat Sports article, there are major obstacles to this trade.

First, Bradford only has one year remaining on his contract. Bradford is in the final year of a six-year, $78 million contract, and set to make $12.99 million in 2015, according to Over the Cap. Bradford has not earned that kind of contract. Bradford has played all 16 games in just two of his five seasons in the league. The 27-year-old signalcaller has 11,065 career yards, 59 touchdowns, and 38 interceptions in 49 games, according to Pro-Football Reference.Should the Browns agree to trade for Bradford, the club would likely want the quarterback to sign a contract extension at a reasonable price. Without an extension, Bradford could walk away in 2016 after one season with the Browns. According to Peter King, this was a major sticking point in negotiations between the Browns and Rams.

Second, the Browns are reluctant to give up a first round draft pick. As stated by Ferguson in his Chat Sports article :

"[The Browns] have not been willing to give up a 1st rounder to get the deal done. The Browns started negotiations by offering their 3rd round pick along with Manziel, and recently budged to include their 2nd round pick (#43 overall) but are not willing to go into the 1st round unless the Eagles offer more in return than just Bradford."

This makes complete sense. The Eagles could use an extra first round pick to either trade up for Mariota or to fill a team need. As noted in a recent article at Philly.com, the Eagles need help at wide receiver, safety, and guard. The Browns don't want to surrender a first rounder, as Cleveland has even more holes to fill than Philadelphia, particularly at wide receiver, defensive line, outside linebacker, and arguably the right side of the offensive line.At this point and time, the deal looks like a longshot. The potential trade, as outlined above, is risky for both parties. For the Browns, the loss of a first round pick could further set back the team, and Bradford's ability to stay healthy is in question. For the Eagles, there are too many variables attached to Manziel, rendering it impossible to project his effectiveness in 2015. And even with another first round pick, acquiring Mariota would not be a sure thing.But in the wacky world of the NFL, anything is possible, even a trade such as this one.

Updates will be posted as this story develops.

Mailbag : Is Jets GM Mike Maccagnan plotting a trade up ?

Even though the New York Jets may sign two or three more free agents by the time this publishes, we'll give it our best shot to answer your questions :

DHarris @DennisKHarris Follow

@RichCimini #Jetsmail with all the depth signings the Jets have done. Is that an indication they are leveraging a move up ?

@RichCimini: I can see where you're going with this, and it's certainly a valid question. But I think the unusual number of depth signings -- nine new free agents on one-year contracts -- have more to do with a lack of depth than anything else. I know that sounds obvious, but it's true, and the reason is because the recent drafts haven't produced big numbers for the Jets. Last year's 12-player draft was a disappointment and, going back two general managers, Mike Tannenbaum wasn't a big believer in stockpiling draft picks. This explains why Mike Maccagnan has been so aggressive in the lower-end market.

JETUP13 @Jetsnation13 Follow

@RichCimini If Bucs are wavering on Winston like reports say, you think Macc makes the call to see what it would take to trade up  ?

@RichCimini: First of all, I'd take those reports with a grain of salt. From everything I'm hearing, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers still are planning to pick Jameis Winston. As for Maccagnan, let me pose this question: Based on what we know of him so far, does he strike you as the kind of GM who will sit on his hands? Of course he will inquire about trading up, if he hasn't done so already. By the day of the draft, he will have talked to the five teams above the Jets, discussing potential trade scenarios. That's what a GM does. Personally, I don't think he'll get as high as the first or second pick, but you can bet he will check into it.

Adrian Capric @adrianncapricc Follow

@RichCimini if mariota slips to #6 and Cleveland offers the #12/19 picks amongst other things, do jets take the deal or player ?

@RichCimini: They take the deal. First of all, it would be lopsided in the Jets' favor. According to the draft-pick value chart, the sixth pick is worth 1,600 points. The 12th and 19th picks are worth 2,075 points. It would be tough to pass on Mariota, but they'd be able to draft a pass rusher and an offensive lineman at 12 and 19. Unless you're absolutely convinced Mariota is a future franchise quarterback, you make that trade.

rest of above article :

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50545/mailbag-is-jets-gm-mike-maccagnan-plotting-a-trade-up

EA Q&A  : Not Cheap to Move Up in Draft

EA : All options remain on the table and Jets GM Mike Maccagnan will not show his hand. Unless the Jets trade up to No. 1, it is difficult to predict a trade-up because you don’t know how the board will fall. Even though the Jets sit in a good position at No. 6 overall, the cost of moving would not be cheap. While the Green & White have visited with both Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, it is speculation season on how the organization views both signal callers. All sorts of scenarios could play out on draft weekend. The Jets’ big board will not look the same as the five teams selecting in front of them.

EA  : If you stick to the best player available mentality, then Florida State QB Jameis Winston would likely be the guy here. This is an interesting hypothetical. I just don’t see Winston there at No. 6.

EA : Let’s make that plural and go with impactful players. Jets head coach Todd Bowles said he wanted to get better at the corner issues and then GM Mike Maccagnan went out and signed Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartieand Buster Skrine If the Jets get Dee Milliner (Achilles) and Dexter McDougle (knee) back to full health, they will have one of the best CB situations in the NFL. Pundits have given mixed reviews of this corner class and barring something unforeseen – no corner is coming off the board in the Top 10. So the Jets avoided a quandary on draft weekend by doing work this spring.

EA : Certainly the Jets could take a wide receiver and it might happen at No. 6 overall. Amari Cooper (Alabama) and Kevin White (West Virginia) are both legit prospects and they have the potential to wreak havoc on Sundays in the NFL. After Eric DeckerBrandon Marshalland Jeremy Kerley the cupboard is not bare though. Quincy Enunwa is a big-bodied, thick receiver and I like what I saw out of him in training camp. Chris Owusucan fly and he put on a show in the 2014 season finale down in Miami. T.J. Grahamis also a burner and he made significant contributions on special teams in ’14. You add a Cooper or a White to this mix and the Jets become extremely talented and really deep.

EA: Yes I have inside access, but Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles still haven’t invited me to a scouting meeting. And if they did, my lips would be sealed. While the Jets don’t NEED an OLB in the first round, that pick at No. 6 overall could ultimately come down to either a WR or a OLB. Dante Fowler (Florida), Vic Beasley (Clemson) and Shane Ray (Missouri) all could be considered there at No. 6, but the Jets do have four of the top 104 selections overall. The Green & White T-6 in the league last year with 45 sacks and DL Sheldon Richardson, who led the club with eight QB takedowns and picked the brain of DeMarcus Ware at the Pro Bowl, told me he expects more coverage sacks in 2015. Like most teams in the NFL, the Jets would love to have a dominant edge presence.

EA: All starters return from a unit that helped the Jets finished third in rushing (142.5 yards per game). While the Jets T-24 in sacks allowed (47), we all know protection breakdowns can sometimes be charged to non-linemen. Quarterbacks can also hold onto the rock too long and there are coverage sacks as well. If former Seahawk James Carpenteris penciled in at RG, there could be an open battle at LG with Willie Colon, Oday Aboushiand Brian Wintersamong the candidates. Could Dakota Dozier, a fourth-round pick in 2014, join the fray as well? Many draft insiders are high on Iowa OL Brandon Scherff and there is a strong possibility he will still be available at No. 6 overall. The Jets addressed depth at the tackle position, but I found GM Mike Maccagnan’s comments on the O-line very interesting. “I think historically when you look at teams that are successful, one of the things that they do in the draft is they find value in offensive linemen prospects that they can kind of groom and develop. They don’t have to always be high picks,” he said. “A lot of teams are very successful building good offensive lines through the draft through picks from the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh round and sometimes even college free agents.”

EA: No dream. The Green & White were not only were aggressive – they were smart. During a call with Jets season ticket holders, GM Mike Maccagnan said, “The way we structure a lot of those contracts is in a way to not handcuff us going forward.” The Jets definitely improved the talent on their roster, but nobody in the building is taking a bow. The voluntary program just got underway with a new coaching staff, new systems and new terminologies. Determined to build a winner, the Jets’ brass knows the season is still five months away. You don’t win in the spring.

EA: Although I would refrain from using the term no-brainer, let’s just say both of those wideouts would be enticing. This is not considered a strong tight end class, so unless the Jets are targeting someone – I don’t see that as a likely play. But the Jets could certainly be in the market for a running back, probably more of a burner, change-of-pace type player.

EA: Hard to say. Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey is not married to one system and that versatility is a plus for the Jets. After Winston and Mariota, opinions vary on the next four: Bryce Petty (Baylor), Garrett Grayson (Colorado State), Brett Hundley (UCLA) and Sean Mannion (Oregon State). That quartet could fall in any order in the mid-rounds. Brandon Bridge (South Alabama), who started only one year, is a raw prospect who can really sling it.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-6/EA-QA-Not-Cheap-to-Move-Up-in-Draft/64177a0a-131b-4b2f-babd-152ddecc8738

Would the Jets be willing to trade up in this year's NFL Draft, in order to select Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota ?

The Jets are slotted at No. 6. If they really, really want to make sure they land Mariota, they'll probably have to move up to the second pick, which the Titans currently hold.Moving from No. 6 to No. 2 would come at a steep price for the Jets. It would cost them the sixth pick this year, obviously, plus some future high draft picks. And remember, the Titans could decide to keep the No. 2 pick, since their quarterback situation remains uncertain.But what about the Chargers? Could they combine with the Titans to spoil the Jets' potential plans to select Mariota ?

It's entirely possible, according to Todd McShay, ESPN's draft analyst. The Chargers, who draft 17th in the first round, might be looking to trade quarterback Philip Rivers, who is 33 years old, but remains a productive player.McShay said Friday on a conference call with reporters that the Titans and Chargers could make for logical trading partners, if the Titans want to get a proven veteran quarterback, and the Chargers want to move on from Rivers, while grabbing Mariota in the process.

"When I projected Mariota to [the second pick], it wasn't necessarily to Tennessee," said McShay, who doesn't project trades in his mock drafts. "I haven't completely ruled it out. But my gut tells me that they will not wind up going in that direction [with picking Mariota]. I think the premise, really, of putting him at No. 2 is that a team would trade up to that spot. I've heard the same rumors as you with San Diego [wanting to move up].

"Let's put it this way: It doesn't really matter what I think. I think [Titans coach] Ken Whisenhunt, and I think that organization would probably jump at the opportunity -- nah, I shouldn't say jump -- but would probably look at the opportunity to bring in Philip Rivers and get three to four years out of him, a quarterback that is a proven commodity. I mean, you know what you're getting. And I think with Whisenhunt and the background there and the relationship, it seems to fit. So I think they would go in that direction if they got a reasonable offer to make that deal."

As McShay alluded to, Whisenhunt is familiar with Rivers. Whisenhunt was San Diego's offensive coordinator for one season, 2013, before he took the Tennessee job."Then for San Diego, you know that Rivers doesn't want to be there long-term, is what I keep hearing," McShay continued. "I think most people have heard that already. If he's not going to want to come play for you long-term, maybe this is your opportunity to go get the quarterback of the future. It's not apples to apples with the Peyton Manning situation [in Indianapolis], but I think you can learn from that if you're San Diego, and realize that you've got the chance to potentially get a quarterback in Mariota who would, my guess is, without asking him very specifically, but my guess is, he'd love to play in San Diego. I think it would be a great place for him. He's closer, obviously, to Hawaii [where Mariota is from]. He's a huge family guy.

"That may wind up, if it were to happen, maybe Tennessee would get what it wants and San Diego would wind up getting what it wants. I think it would be a deal that both sides would be very happy with."None of that bodes well for the Jets -- if, in fact, they absolutely want to land Mariota. The Jets don't have a proven veteran quarterback to trade to Tennessee for that No. 2 pick, in order to fill the Titans' need at that position, so San Diego has an advantage.McShay raised an interesting point about Manning's last days with the Colts. Manning, who obviously still had a whole lot left, was 36 years old when the Colts decided to cut him and draft Andrew Luck after the 2011 season. Obviously, both the Broncos, who signed Manning, and the Colts wound up benefiting from this sequence of events.

It's not a direct comparison, as McShay said, but it's a good lesson for when to start over at the NFL's most important position, if you get a chance to land an elite prospect -- even if you already have a proven veteran with some years still left in him, like Manning and Rivers.Remember, Luck in 2012 was way more of a sure thing than Mariota is now. But have the Chargers seen enough in Mariota that they'd be willing to pull off a Rivers trade that would prevent the Jets from selecting Mariota, even if the Jets desperately wanted to do it ?

In less than two weeks, when the draft finally begins, we will find out.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/todd_mcshay_thinks_san_diego_chargers_tennessee_ti.html

Brandon Marshall is not a locker room cancer and his attitude had nothing to do with the March trade that sent him from the Chicago Bears to the New York Jets, so says a team source with the NFC team.It has long been rumored that Marshall, acquired by the Jets on March 10, was ousted by the Bears in large part because he was a distraction on their roster. The 31-year old wide receiver has had issues in previous stops, namely with the Miami Dolphins, but he wasn't a malcontent or even a discontent in Chicago.

A source on the Bears, speaking on the condition of anonymity, tells Metro New York that Marshall was not shipped off the to the land of the green and white because of any character concerns. Rather, the source said, “it was money, pure money.“The trade was contract driven, freeing up salary cap space. He was on a big contract here,” the source tells Metro New York. “It had nothing to do with him being this locker room issue or this villain. In fact, there were no issues like that that drove him out of here. It was all about the cap hit.”

Last year, Marshall was hampered by injuries with the Bears but still had 61 receptions for 721 yards and eight touchdowns in 13 games. No one on the Jets had more than five touchdowns in 2014. If he's healthy, he can change a passing offense for the Jets that last year was among the worst in the NFL. Suddenly, he partners with fellow wide receivers Eric Decker and Jeremy Kerley along with second-year tight end Jace Amaro to provide some legitimate targets.In seven of the last eight seasons, Marshall has topped 1,000 receiving yards in a season, the only exception being 2014.In October, Marshall reportedly was at the center of a locker room tirade and pundits noticed his visible on the field demeanor during the team's rough patch last fall, which many of them said was to look of a jaded superstar who was disappointing and disconnected last season. Couple that with the poor reputation earned from his time in Miami and the connection was made that Marshall was a diva and had an attitude problem.

Not so says the member of Bears management, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is not allowed to publicly comment on personnel matters.“There wasn't an issue with what Brandon said last year. Not at all. Those things happen in an NFL locker room, the older guys speak up and let their voices be heard. Brandon has earned that right,” the source said. “He's been a pro here. Again, it wasn't about the money, that's headlines and radio people talking and speculating. The trade with the Jets wasn't about that.

“To my knowledge he wasn't an issue here at all last year. I never heard a complaint. We had to move his contract for cap space and he had value.”

> http://www.metro.us/kristian-dyer/source-brandon-marshall-trade-was-about-money-not-character/zsJodt---rk2one3587Ov/

Trade rumors continue to swirl regarding the Eagles trading up for Marcus Mariota, and it could involve a trade between the Eagles, Chargers and Titans.

Take a look at how the trade would work via Rant Sports :

The Eagles would receive the No. 2 overall pick from the Titans, which they would then use to draft Mariota.

The Chargers would receive Sam Bradford, the Eagles’ first-round pick and the Titans’ second-round pick.

The Titans would receive Philip Rivers and the Eagles’ third-round pick.

A lot of questions are raised as to whether a River-Bradford swap would be an upgrade for the Charger, and if this is the “mortgaging the future” trade that Kelly said the Eagles would not partake in.Also the Titans would be receiving a 33-year-old QB all while in the process of rebuilding, which could take some time. Is it worth it for a young team to rebuild around an aging quarterback ?

There has been plenty of talk between NFL Insiders and reporters on whether this rumor is even possible or completely outrageous.The trade might not be a full proof plan for any of the teams involved, but in the end Chip Kelly and the Eagles would land Mariota, the Titans would get Rivers, and San Diego end up with four draft picks in the top 66 while also receiving a starting caliber quarterback.

> http://philadelphia.suntimes.com/phi-sports/philadelphia-eagles/7/96/114629/report-eagles-chargers-titans-three-team-trade-possible-order-land-mariota/

One of the most well-respected sports publications of all-time thinks that Heisman Trophy winner, former Oregon quarterback, Marcus Mariota is headed to the San Diego Chargers — and you can probably guess how the Bolts would get him.

Yes — it would be in the No. 2 slot, in a projected trade with the Tennessee Titans involving Philip Rivers and the Chargers No. 17 pick.

The trade would probably be a good fit for both teams as Rivers returns to work with Ken Whisenhunt, his former offensive coordinator, and the Chargers get to start fresh, letting Mike McCoy mold a quarterback (remember what he did with that Tim Tebow guy in Denver?)

http://sandiego.suntimes.com/sd-sports/san-diego-chargers/7/92/119179/chargers-mock-draft-marcus-mariota/

Mike Maccagnan usually talks with his wife Betty, who has not moved to New Jersey yet, each night before he goes to sleep. The new Jets general manager admits that during preparation for next week’s NFL Draft, she does not always have his full attention.“About halfway through the conversation she’s usually going, ‘Are you watching tape right now?’ ” Maccagnan said. “My wife is probably more excited than I am for this draft to be over with.”

Maccagnan’s first draft as the general manager is almost here. He met with the media on Friday to discuss the team’s approach to the draft without revealing too much. Maccagnan, who spent the last 20 years scouting players, now gets to make the decision on which players to actually take.“You want to be perfect,” Maccagnan said. “You want to make sure every pick you make is the best at that point in time, in theory. That’s where the pressure [of being the GM] kind of hits you. When you look at the draft, we’ve evaluated probably just under 1,400 players and then every one of those players will eventually have some kind of career in the NFL at some level of production.

“The tricky thing is there is so much information and data and evaluations to go through and what you’re trying to do is be as accurate as you can possibly be predicting the future. When it hits you a little bit, you think have I done enough? That motivates you.”The Jets hired Maccagnan in large part because of his scouting background with the Texans and Redskins. He is the opposite of John Idzik, the team’s previous general manager, whose background was primarily as a salary-cap manager.

Maccagnan still feels most comfortable on the scouting trail. He said it does not usually hit him that he is the general manager until he has some down time.

“When you’re actually in the meeting or at the pro day or watching film, that’s like riding a bicycle,” he said. “It doesn’t feel any different at that point in time. I think when you get some quiet time. Late at night, you finally roll into the apartment and you’re sort of unwinding, you start thinking about that.”

Maccagnan will face difficult decisions next week as he tries to retool a roster that has lacked enough talent to contend for several years. The two Idzik drafts look like failures. The final drafts of Mike Tannenbaum did not yield much either. All of that has left the Jets with tons of holes to fill as they try to rebound from a 4-12 season in 2014.

Many people think the Jets could trade up from the No. 6 pick in the first round to pursue Marcus Mariota, the Oregon quarterback seen as the possible No. 2 pick. Maccagnan said Friday he will speak to every team drafting ahead of the Jets to gauge what the cost would be of moving up, but sounded more inclined to stay put or trade down to acquire more picks.“Philosophically, I’m not opposed to moving up in the draft to go get a player if you feel that is a player that is going to be an extremely good player, but I would personally like to get more picks,” he said. “To me, it’s more opportunities to get more talent.”

Maccagnan did not have much to say about star defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson skipping the team’s voluntary workouts in the last two weeks.“It’s voluntary,” he said. “Mo’s under contract, as we’re all aware. It’s voluntary. I’ll leave it at that. I don’t really want to comment on if I’d like him to be here or not be here. I’m sure Mo is doing a good job wherever he is working out.”

Maccagnan said Jaiquawn Jarrett signed his tender. Restricted free agent Damon Harrison also is expected to sign his tender soon. Both players have participated in workouts.

> http://nypost.com/2015/04/24/why-jets-gm-would-rather-trade-down-than-up-at-draft/

The Titans beating the Jets to Rivers is sign like >1 that you should sit out on this FO and coaching staff. That just wouldn't be cool.

The Titans cam give them Mariota at #2. The Jets can't give them that. San Diego has no incentive to trade Rivers to us. Plus you're forgetting that any trade partner has to work a contract with Rivers before agreeing to the trade. Otherwise they risk a one year lease for a boatload of picks.

The Titans cam give them Mariota at #2. The Jets can't give them that. San Diego has no incentive to trade Rivers to us. Plus you're forgetting that any trade partner has to work a contract with Rivers before agreeing to the trade. Otherwise they risk a one year lease for a boatload of picks.

Not even a little worried about extending him. Losing to the ******* Titans would be typical. Daaaaaamn those wins against the Steelers and Dolphins.

Not even a little worried about extending him. Losing to the ******* Titans would be typical. Daaaaaamn those wins against the Steelers and Dolphins.

So what can the Jets offer San Diego that's better than #2 (Mariota)? Why would San Diego be interested in trading to pick 6? Mariota will be gone by then. You're not making sense.

So what can the Jets offer San Diego that's better than #2 (Mariota)? Why would San Diego be interested in trading to pick 6? Mariota will be gone by then. You're not making sense.

I'm making perfect sense, I'm pissed this dipsh*t franchise is once again out of position to land a franchise QB. I wouldn't be worried about their ability to extend him, I am worried about their ability to land him.

I'm making perfect sense, I'm pissed this dipsh*t franchise is once again out of position to land a franchise QB. I wouldn't be worried about their ability to extend him, I am worried about their ability to land him.

You didn't answer my question. What can the Jets offer to San Diego that's better than Tennessee ' s #2, which will likely = Mariota? Until you answer that, your anger if Rivers goes to Tennessee and not us doesn't make sense. Why would Tennessee want to trade to #6 if it doesn't get them Mariota?

You didn't answer my question. What can the Jets offer to San Diego that's better than Tennessee ' s #2, which will likely = Mariota? Until you answer that, your anger if Rivers goes to Tennessee and not us doesn't make sense. Why would Tennessee want to trade to #6 if it doesn't get them Mariota?

Yeah, you're being tedious. I get that already. It's understood. It's been acknowledged. Yo comprendo friendo.

The anger makes perfect sense. The Jets need a QB, Rivers is a monster that is available, and stupid bumble**** Tennessee is the clear favorite. Mariota sucks enough for it, so I can hope he gets past two.

Trading up for quarterbacks remains a risky proposition

Perhaps there’s a reason the Titans haven’t found a taker for the second pick in the 2015 NFL Draft and a chance to grab Oregon’s Marcus Mariota.

It might be because there are some students of history out there.

As noted by Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times, since 2000 there have been 14 instances of a team trading up to draft a quarterback in the first round, with most of them going horribly wrong.While the Giants (Eli Manning, 2004) and Ravens (Joe Flacco, 2008) have won Super Bowls with those quarterbacks, most of the rest were busts.A few such as Michael Vick (Falcons, 2001), Jay Cutler (Broncos, 2006) and Mark Sanchez (Jets, 2009) have had some degrees of success, but the rest of the list should give you chills: Kyle Boller (Ravens, 2003), J.P. Losman (Bills, 2004), Jason Campbell (Washington, 2005), Brady Quinn (Browns, 2007), Josh Freeman (Buccaneers, 2009), Tim Tebow (Broncos, 2010), Blaine Gabbert (Jaguars, 2011), Robert Griffin III (Washington, 2012) and Johnny Manziel (Browns, 2014).

What does that tell us ?

Mostly that quarterbacks have always been, and remain scarce. That leads to desperation. And desperation leads to bad moves. And when you see teams such as the Browns and Washington on that list twice, it points to the kind of organizational instability that leads to rash decision-making.That’s not to say Mariota is going to be a bust, but it does show that when teams reach for a quarterback, they often pay too high a price for their hope, and it often costs coaches and G.M.s their jobs.

> http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/27/trading-up-for-quarterbacks-remains-a-risky-proposition/

Even though standout defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson has been a no-show at the Jets' voluntary offseason workouts, he is very much on the mind of other teams.At least two teams, and possibly more, have approached the Jets about trading for the 25-year-old Wilkerson, a league source told ESPN.More calls from teams are expected as Thursday night's draft gets underway, according to the source.Just as the Chargers don't plan to trade Philip Rivers and the Vikings don't intend to trade Adrian Peterson, the Jets don't plan to trade Wilkerson. But all of those teams are expected to listen to offers. It is up to another team to sway those clubs' thinking, which could happen in any of the cases.

Wilkerson could be the most attractive defensive player potentially available. Any team interested in acquiring him would have to weigh whether he is better than the player or players it could draft this week. Were he in this draft, Wilkerson would be considered a surefire top-10 pick, per one league executive.At 25 years old, Wilkerson is entering the prime of his career. He also has one year left on his current contract and is seeking a new deal, which has led him to skip the Jets' voluntary offseason workouts with new head coach Todd Bowles.The contract is the issue that could ultimately lead to a trade if the Jets travel down the path of a trade. Wilkerson is scheduled to make $6.96 million, the amount of his fifth-year option, this season.

When he recently was asked about Wilkerson's situation, new Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan did not sound overly concerned."I don't really want to comment on if I'd like him to be here or not be here," Maccagnan said at a news conference. "I'm sure Mo is doing a good job, wherever he is, working out. But again, these are all voluntary, so he's not required to be here for them."

> http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12779775/muhammad-wilkerson-new-york-jets-attracting-trade-interest-multiple-teams

He's a down south boy, who doesn't even want to go to LA.  He may not want to live in NY/NJ.  Tenn is much closer to where he and his wife grew up.

He's a down south boy, who doesn't even want to go to LA.  He may not want to live in NY/NJ.  Tenn is much closer to where he and his wife grew up.

The whole going home thing for athletes is very rarely a thing. The frustration is over not knowing whether they'll be in LA or not, nothing actually on whether Rivers wants it or not.

Ruston Webster, Titans GM, in his pre draft presser yesterday may have had the ultimate Freudian Slip and none of the Titans beat writers caught it.  When asked about how draft day will work logistically he said the following:

"We have the scouts in there, Ken, myself. It usually kind of gets tense as the pick gets closer. We’ll have a group of six players, usually. As I said, it’ll be a little easier with the second pick, that we’re working off of, and if I need the scouts’ input, I’ll call them over and ask them what they think…"

Why would you have 6 players on your board when you have the 2nd overall pick?  Unless, of course, you are picking 6.  If you watch the presser, you can see where he caught himself and followed the bold up with "usually" after a brief pause.  

If the Titans are sold on auctioning off the second overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, they have an opening bid.

Via Pat McManamon of ESPN.com, the Browns have offered the Titans their two first-rounders, the 12th and 19th overall picks, for the second slot.But it’s never too soon for a little ESPN-on-ESPN crime, as McManamon’s Nashville-based co-worker Paul Kuharsky says a Titans source told him no offer has been made.(Who’s right? ESPN of course.)

Naturally, any deal would be with designs on getting Marcus Mariota, who would become the third quarterback drafted in the first round of the last four drafts by the Browns.Of course, that there’s no deal done makes it clear the Titans think it’s worth more than that.

So if the Chargers, Eagles, Rams and Jets are also in the mix, they all know what it’s going to take to get a deal done, unless the Buccaneers jack it all up by taking Mariota themselves.

> http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/29/mixed-signals-on-whether-browns-have-offered-both-ones-for-no-2/

Jets mailbag, part I  : Trading up for Marcus Mariota a mistake ?

With so many questions leading up to the NFL draft, we'll have two New York Jets mailbags this week. Here's part I :

@RichCimini: It depends what you mean by "trading up." Would moving up to No. 2, giving up a future first-round pick (or two), be a mistake? Yes, it would. Marcus Mariota is good, but he's not that good. But what if the Jets trade up only one spot for Mariota, changing places with the Washington Redskins? The draft-pick value chart suggests a fourth-round pick as fair compensation, although it's quite likely the Redskins would demand something better. If it costs the Jets a third-round choice, you do it. That would be a sound move. If you're in love with Mariota and he's that close, go get him.

@RichCimini: No, I wouldn't be OK with that. Amari Cooper is one of the three or four best players in this draft. If it's a choice between Cooper and the best edge rusher (Dante Fowler Jr.), I'd take Fowler because of the need. But let's be honest, Cooper and Fowler won't be available. Most people think Brandon Scherff is the best offensive lineman, but you don't take him at No. 6 until you're absolutely convinced he can be a Pro Bowl right tackle. A lot of people see him as a guard, not a tackle. Big difference.

@RichCimini: I think GM Mike Maccagnan would love for this scenario to unfold. But here's the problem: It takes two to trade. What non-quarterback at No. 6 would entice another team to move up? Maybe a receiver-needy team such as the Chicago Bears (No. 7) or St. Louis Rams (No. 10) would want to move up for Kevin White. That's the only thing I could see happening. In that case, I could see the Jets dropping down and picking up an extra draft pick.

@RichCimini: There's a better chance of Mel Kiper Jr. showing up on draft night with bleach-blond hair than the Jets dealing Muhammad Wilkerson. I understand why you're asking the question (only one year left on his contract, not participating in the offseason program), but it would make no sense. Todd Bowles is a defensive-minded coach, which means the Jets will be a defensive-oriented team. They have three elite players on defense -- Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson and Darrelle Revis. You don't trade an elite player unless there's absolutely zero chance of re-signing him (see: Revis, 2013). The Jets will get a deal done with Wilkerson. Be patient. 

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/50867/jets-mailbag-part-i-trading-up-for-marcus-mariota-a-mistake

The Tennessee Titans got an insane trade offer for the No. 2 pick, and they turned it down to take Marcus MariotaIn a mild surprise, the Tennessee Titans selected Marcus Mariota with the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft.It's not surprising that Mariota went so high, it's surprising that the Titans took him instead of trading the pick for a monster package from the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Eagles, who were widely expected to go all-in for Mariota, put a huge offer on the table, according to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network. The reported offer, as described by Rapoport on Twitter, is insane :

• Two first-round picks
  • One third-round pick
  • Fletcher Cox, the team's best defensive player
  • Brandon Boykin, nickel corner
  • Sam Bradford, starting quarterback
  • Mychal Kendricks, starting linebacker

*At a press conference late Thursday night, Kelly claimed he never offered any players for the No. 2 pick. Given Kelly's history with being less-than-straightforward with the media about personnel decisions (he said Nick Foles would be the team's quarterback for "the next 1,000 years" and he wanted to keep LeSean McCoy before trading them both), and the fact that these players now have to come back to Philly after hearing their names in trade rumors all week, it's fair to be skeptical about Kelly's claim that he never put any players in the table.

If Rapoport's report is true, the Eagles would have given up a ton. Outside of throwing in a third first-round pick, there's not much else the Eagles could have put on the table.In 2012, the Washington Redskins gave up three first-round picks and a second-round pick to move up from No. 6 to No. 2 to draft Robert Griffin III. The Eagles offer — especially because it contains a proven star player as good as Cox — is at least as strong as that.

As much as Chip Kelly talked about not mortgaging the future for a single player, this would have been a wild gamble for Philly. He would have been trading a huge proportion of his available assets for one guy.The only way it would have worked out is if Mariota became one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.In turning down the deal, the Titans showed that they were more committed to Mariota than they let on publicly. While there was talk that they loved current starter Zach Mettenberger, you don't turn down that sort of offer unless you think you're getting a special player.

Immediately after the pick, head coach Ken Whisenhunt essentially declared Mariota the starter.

The Tennessee Titans got an insane trade offer for the No. 2 pick, and they turned it down to take Marcus Mariota

> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tennessee-titans-got-insane-trade-012700920.html

New York Jets Should Put Damon Harrison on Trade Block

If Gang Green should trade anyone, it should be DT Damon Harrison and not DE Muhammad Wilkerson.

In the aftermath of the Leonard Williams selection, there have been plenty of suggestions that Muhammad Wilkerson is on his way out of town. I would like to make an alternate suggestion. I say the Jets should put Damon Harrison on the trade block.

Why is this ?

The way the Jets are constructed, Harrison might bring more value in a trade than he would on the team. Don't get me wrong. He is an excellent player. The Jets just do not really need his skillset with the team they have. Harrison is the prototypical two gap nose tackle to anchor a three man front. If you are playing a three man defensive line, having a nose tackle with the size and ability to take on the blocking assignments of two men is essential. With all of the investment in interior defensive line talent, the Jets do not really need that. This team should be playing plenty of four man lines. With all of the talent, it would behoove the Jets to get as many defensive lineman onto the field as possible at one time. That decreases Harrison's value.

Would Harrison still be effective on a four man line? Sure, but would the Jets be hurting if they played four man lines with two of the three out of Wilkerson, Williams, and Sheldon Richardson occupying defensive tackle spots? Not at all, and the interior pass rush would get a lot better also. Whichever of the three is not inside on a given play could play defensive end, and the Jets have Quinton Coples and Jason Babin to alternate at the other end spot.Now you might argue Harrison is worth keeping for depth purposes. If it wasn't for his contract situation, I might agree with you. Harrison is set to become an unrestricted free agent in a year. Let's take the Jets at their word and say they still view Wilkerson as part of their plans. That means on the defensive line they will have paid big money to Wilkerson, have Coples on his fairly expensive fifth year option, and two other first round picks on the defensive line in Richardson and Williams.

I get that depth is great, but the NFL is a league where teams have a finite number of resources. Does it really make sense investing starter money in Harrison under these circumstances, tying up substantial resources on a player who provides something the team could easily duplicate ? This is all contingent on the Jets being confident in their ability to lock up Wilkerson. If they are, I think Harrison is probably the odd man out. It makes sense to find a team desperate for help against the run and see whether the Jets can acquire another pick. Two years of high level play and a pick would be a nice return on an investment in an undrafted free agent.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/5/1/8528031/jets-should-put-damon-harrison-on-trade-block

Archived