Jaguars interested in moving out of No. 3 pick

BurnleyJet

Look like it may be a free for all for Mariota.

INDIANAPOLIS -- After securing a quarterback with the No. 3 pick in last year's draft, Jaguars general manager David Caldwell finds himself more open to trading the No. 3 pick this year.

"We had no margin for error these last two years," Caldwell said. "I think this year we could be more open."

Caldwell acknowledged that because of the top-heavy quarterback class, which could very well leave either Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston sliding into Caldwell's hands if Tennessee or Tampa Bay declines to draft one, there could be some more activity than there was in 2014.

"I would expect some calls," Caldwell said. "But as you guys in the media know, you pick everything apart and some of the quarterbacks may fall just like some of the quarterbacks predicted to go high last year fell to the late first round. So you don't really know what other teams' value is."

Caldwell said that there are some general managers who prefer to make calls well ahead of time, and then there were the Bills. When Buffalo decided to trade up for Sammy Watkins last year, they ended up bombarding the teams holding the No. 3 and No. 4 picks with phone calls minutes before the pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000472509/article/jaguars-interested-in-moving-out-of-no-3-pick

Does chip Kelly have enough to trade for that spot I don't see that happening

No one goes by the trade value chart all that amounts to is a guideline. If the raiders or Washington value Williams more than the jags do, he will trade down. Maybe he trades to pick 7, or 10. The eagles are not the only team that will look to trade up the jets will have plenty of opportunities to trade down.

And don't rule out St Louis, Bradford is going to stick around for a year but I think they are ready to turn the page. 

If the Jets do trade down from #6, it won't have anything to do with the QBs. If a team wants Mariota, they're going to trade ahead of the QB-needy Jets, not with them. That whole trade concept is a pipe dream.

Caldwell's right about the scrutiny and evaluation of these guys, too. Mariota could easily tumble well past the Jets.

If the Jets do trade down from #6, it won't have anything to do with the QBs. If a team wants Mariota, they're going to trade ahead of the QB-needy Jets, not with them. That whole trade concept is a pipe dream.

Caldwell's right about the scrutiny and evaluation of these guys, too. Mariota could easily tumble well past the Jets.

The leverage the Jets have is that they could take Mariota and keep him. It'd be up to Kelly to decide whether to call the Jets' bluff or not in a scenario where Tennessee passes on him.

The leverage the Jets have is that they could take Mariota and keep him. It'd be up to Kelly to decide whether to call the Jets' bluff or not in a scenario where Tennessee passes on him.

That's why if someone really wants him, they'll trade ahead of the Jets.

Why Tenn, why could not Oakland or Washington trade down , and the skins need an infusion of talent and does not have a lot of cap space for FA to fill multiple holes.  If Marriota is a top 5 talent, you can expect St Llouis to make a play also.

I agree totally. If you want a QB then jump ahead of a QB needy team. I can see Cleveland trying to jump to 2 thru 5 and will do ther homework on what it will cost them even at 6. Philly would have to jump from their spot to #2, 3 or 4. No way they make a deal with Washington.

If the Jets really want Marriotta or Winston then the should trade up to #2 and get it done. If they are ok with best player available at 6 then just let the draft come to us. My guess right now is that they would take Mariotta or listen to offers for teams to move up for him. I don't think they will trade up for anyone.

There goes our chance to trade down!!

I've been saying for a while that the Jets have been QB-needy forever, so anyone that wants Winston or Mariotta should be looking to trade in front of us, not with us. The Eagles Jets trade sounded like something out of Madden to me.

Yep.

Slats and Ape on the same page. World ending in 3..... 2..... 1... ;)

I still think its the Rams who are going to jump in front of us and grab Mariota.

if Tennessee passes on whichever qb the bucs don't take the browns have more than enough ammo to get the 3rd pick from the jags and take mariota. they trade the 12th and 19th pick to get up to 3 and they take mariota. in this case we take whichever receiver the raiders don't take between white and cooper and try to get glennon from the bucs for the 4th round pick we better not waste on keeping harvin around

This actually make sense for the jets to move UP.

Jaguars would probably not like to slide down much more than 6...

Just a matter of if Mac wants to give up another 1 which would hurt

if the jets can pull it off then this is what should happen. (this is assuming we already know that philly wants to trade up for mariota). we trade our first and second to get the 3rd pick. we then trade the pick to philly for foles and their first and second round pick.

if Tennessee passes on whichever qb the bucs don't take the browns have more than enough ammo to get the 3rd pick from the jags and take mariota. they trade the 12th and 19th pick to get up to 3 and they take mariota. in this case we take whichever receiver the raiders don't take between white and cooper and try to get glennon from the bucs for the 4th round pick we better not waste on keeping harvin around

This assumes that the Browns want Mariota that much.

I've been saying for a while that the Jets have been QB-needy forever, so anyone that wants Winston or Mariotta should be looking to trade in front of us, not with us. The Eagles Jets trade sounded like something out of Madden to me.

Worse than madden, it was blatantly made up by Mehta and ran with by the fans.

This assumes that the Browns want Mariota that much.

well if not then we are in good shape. idk that the eagles have what it takes to get from their position to #3, since the jags will not be interested in taking foles in lieu of pick compensation, as part of the deal. the raiders have carr and the redskins just named griffin the starter so its pretty doubtful they'd take foles in lieu of a pick either. so if chip Kelly really wants mariota we can offer the pick foles from them and their first and second....if they offer foles and their first and 3rd its probably still a good deal.

This actually make sense for the jets to move UP.

Jaguars would probably not like to slide down much more than 6...

Just a matter of if Mac wants to give up another 1 which would hurt

I agree,  the draft value gap between 3rd and 6th overall is 600 pts which means the Jets would have to give up their 2nd round and 4th round picks to move up to 3rd.   Those 2 spots are worth 620 pts.

I agree,  the draft value gap between 3rd and 6th overall is 600 pts which means the Jets would have to give up their 2nd round and 4th round picks to move up to 3rd.   Those 2 spots are worth 620 pts.

its just a guide. they could offer up the #6 and their second rounder and if the jags say no then **** em

Archived