Oscars Discussion/Predictions

Morrissey

Glad American Sniper didn't win. Weird, off-putting jingoistic claptrap. Captain America: The Winter Soldier made a more conscious effort to create a realistic hero than this movie.

As if a group that applauds Edward Snowden is going to award a movie like that. The nomination alone was damage control.

Rushmore is still brilliant and I loved everything about Moonrise Kingdom. But yeah, it's a little annoying hearing people try to throw him up with Scorcese and Kubrick. It's not that hard to make entertaining sh*t when you put Bill Murray in everything.

Congrats. You are the only other person I know besides myself who likes Moonrise Kingdom. 

I like that conservatives are all wetting themselves that Birdman beat American Sniper today. 

Not every piece of art in our culture needs to be an homage to the troops that your aunt keeps re-sharing on facebook, because she doesn't want anyone to think she doesn't support them.

I like that conservatives are all wetting themselves that Birdman beat American Sniper today. 

Not every piece of art in our culture needs to be an homage to the troops that your aunt keeps re-sharing on facebook, because she doesn't want anyone to think she doesn't support them.

Hmmm. Is it borderline outrage? Because I don't know one human, conservative or not, who thought American Sniper was winning anything last night. 

Birdman is the Academy jerking themselves off though. 

Eh. There's a difference in suspending disbelief for Batman gliding between buildings and noticing something completely pointless and stupid looking. Just lazy film making, which excepting Cooper's performance is mostly what that movie is for me.

I was joking. I joke. I liked American Sniper but agree. I didn't think it was Oscar worthy to begin with. IMO it was a "shut up the rednecks who live in the other 48 states" move. 

How the **** did I forget Caddyshack. Jesus. I am slipping.

Broken Flowers is brilliant. Let me see that. Yes, that is cannibis sativa.

The subtle nuances in that movie blow Lost in Translation out of the water. And that's not to say I didn't like Lost in Translation. But just saying. One of my favorite movies (...that, I think, I can only enjoy watching by myself) 

The subtle nuances in that movie blow Lost in Translation out of the water. And that's not to say I didn't like Lost in Translation. But just saying. One of my favorite movies (...that, I think, I can only enjoy watching by myself) 

Yeah, it's one of those movies that you catch a little more every time you watch it. I'm a big fan of films like that.

Who cares? The best movie never wins best picture anyway. The best American movies of the past 40 years none of them have oscars for best picture. Star Wars, Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas Saving Private Ryan, Empire Strikes Back, Raging Bull, Matrix, Gravity - nothing.

Academy Awards is just a narcissism Super Bowl

Hmmm. Is it borderline outrage? Because I don't know one human, conservative or not, who thought American Sniper was winning anything last night. 

Birdman is the Academy jerking themselves off though. 

Ok so I just checked along the the interweb and I totally forgot about Wal-Mart and top 20 radio. You're right, seems a lot of people are pissed American Sniper didn't win. However I think it's more about, well that's like, the only movie they saw out of the bunch, complaints, more than it about being some liberal conspiracy. At least for some. Most I hope. Or like to think. Human general suckage factor vs. political etc. 

Who cares? The best movie never wins best picture anyway. The best American movies of the past 40 years none of them have oscars for best picture. Star Wars, Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas Saving Private Ryan, Empire Strikes Back, Raging Bull, Matrix, Gravity - nothing.

Academy Awards is just a narcissism Super Bowl

Well. But. Well. Yeah, Birdman was pretty narcissistic imo. 

But we'll always have LOTR!!!!!

Some terrible outcomes:

Rocky over Taxi Driver in 1976

Ordinary People over Raging Bull in 1980

Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas in 1990

The English Patient over Fargo or Jerry Macguire in 1999

Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan or Life is Beautiful in 1998

Chicago over The Painist in 2002

Crash over Brokeback Mountain in 2005

The Hurt Locker over Inglourious Basterds in 2009

Argo over Django Unchained in 2012

Ok so I just checked along the the interweb and I totally forgot about Wal-Mart and top 20 radio. You're right, seems a lot of people are pissed American Sniper didn't win. However I think it's more about, well that's like, the only movie they saw out of the bunch, complaints, more than it about being some liberal conspiracy. At least for some. Most I hope. Or like to think. Human general suckage factor vs. political etc.

I'd bet hard coin that 50% of all those posts are Green Jets & Ham.

Some terrible outcomes:

agree with every one of those

On the Scorcese-homer scale of 0-100, I probably score out at about 1 billion and 72. That said it is insane to classify this as a terrible decision. It's ******* Rocky for Christ's sake.

Rocky sucked and each one sucked more than the other. Sly Stallone's acting is an abomination. My opinion of course.

Edit: okay the first one didnt "suck" but it wasnt on Taxi Driver's level. Maybe my favorite Scorcese film.

Rocky sucked and each one sucked more than the other. Sly Stallone's acting is an abomination. My opinion of course.

Edit: okay the first one didnt "suck" but it wasnt on Taxi Driver's level. Maybe my favorite Scorcese film.

The first Rocky was a classic but it is not taxi driver. Taxi Driver is one of the ten greatest films of all-time.

The academy has always been a bunch of old fogeys who love feel-good movies. God forbid something edgy like pulp fiction ever win anything.

Some terrible outcomes:

I find this to be a mostly innocuous list. What say you, Mr.?

Archived