The Jets negotiator / cap guy is......

Larz

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/

3. It takes a village: Because Maccagnan has no background in contract negotiations and cap management, the Jets have restructured the way they do business. Former GM John Idzik, a contract/cap guy, used to handle the bulk of the negotiating; now it's a committee approach. Maccagnan will oversee the operation, but the primary negotiators will be Rod Graves and Jacqueline Davidson -- the senior director and manager of football administration, respectively. Dave Socie, formerly of the league office, has been retained on a part-time basis to help with cap and contract philosophy. Hymie Elhai, the team's vice president/business affairs & legal counsel, also will be involved. From what I hear, the Muhammad Wilkerson negotiations were a one-man show (Idzik) last year. Once Idzik got fired, it caused the two sides to start from square one, basically. 

I guess it could work.  some good cop/ bad cop stuff.  

thoughts ?

still can do good cop/ bad cop with a traditional GM/cap guy relationship. In fact it's probably more effective.

This sounds like a bad idea, too many cooks are never good

Idzik is sitting in a room somewhere with a flash drive with every perfect future Jets contract on it, just laughing.

The key component to a personnel department is talent evaluation. Part of that evaluation is putting a dollar value on a player. As long as Maccagnan is overseeing the whole operation, and has a good handle on that, I'm really not all that concerned with who's doing the detail work. I think it gets more attention with the Jets fan base because we've had accountants running the talent operation here for the last decade or so.

When it comes down to it, how often do teams **** up their cap situations so badly that it hurts the team? The Jets are in a situation where they're forced to spend big the next two years just to reach the cap floor. I don't see them having money problems any time soon.

I also can't imagine that Maccagnan got thru the interview process without demonstrating a working knowledge of the salary cap. Woody's put an emphasis on the business side of the business with his last two hires, he didn't just throw that out the window this time around. Altered his priorities for the better, yes, but he didn't give up on the importance of the money side.

Non issue.

Good structure:

- You have a former GM running the administration/cap side 

- Also Graves has been here the past two years so he can be used as a

resource by Maccagnan in terms of what Idzik's plan was 

still can do good cop/ bad cop with a traditional GM/cap guy relationship. In fact it's probably more effective.

I would have to think rod graves is the lead guy who does the phone work with the agents, sets up the visits etc.  Davidson probably is an apprentice GM in waiting.  Socie is the keeper of the spreadsheet and rules guy.  Elhai probably proof reads all final contracts and signs off on them

so as long as the voice on the phone is primarily macc and graves, it's not too bad

a concern for me is how quickly this group can move on a top tier free agent.

the new "legal tampering" window rewards the teams that can move quickly and aggressively.  I hope this model can keep up

Good structure:

Graves was Idzik's personnel helper. I suspect this Socie dude is being retained on a part time basis because Maccagnan doesn't entirely trust Graves business sense - which is fine. I'm actually a little surprised Graves is still here with the house cleaning Maccagnan already did here, and won't be surprised if he's gone after the draft. He could just be the transition guy.

I don't mind Maccagnan being clued into Idzik's plan, just as long as he Costanza's it.

Interesting that Graves is staying with a key role in the new FO, and I am fine with the village approach, allows them to take personality conflicts out of the process and work more then 1 deal at a time...  (this structure last year might have allowed time to take a call from the Revis camp...)

Also interesting that Cimini's ESPN blog is getting better lately

lol

Is this the inauspicious redirect from "we need a football guy scouting GM, anyone can do the accounting" to "our GM should be in charge of teh accouting"?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/

3. It takes a village: Because Maccagnan has no background in contract negotiations and cap management, the Jets have restructured the way they do business. Former GM John Idzik, a contract/cap guy, used to handle the bulk of the negotiating; now it's a committee approach. Maccagnan will oversee the operation, but the primary negotiators will be Rod Graves and Jacqueline Davidson -- the senior director and manager of football administration, respectively. Dave Socie, formerly of the league office, has been retained on a part-time basis to help with cap and contract philosophy. Hymie Elhai, the team's vice president/business affairs & legal counsel, also will be involved. From what I hear, the Muhammad Wilkerson negotiations were a one-man show (Idzik) last year. Once Idzik got fired, it caused the two sides to start from square one, basically. 

I guess it could work.  some good cop/ bad cop stuff.  

thoughts ?

I have a thought.

Hire a GM and a Pres. Ops.

GM selects talent.

Pres. Ops. handles the business.

Good structure:

Agree.

The key oversight that a lot of people in the media seem to forget despite the FO overhaul, is that Graves - a former GM & Idzik's RHM - was the PRIMARY contract negotiator for the Cardinals during his GM tenure and is still here for that capacity. .

Keeping Graves is one of the bigger moves that allowed a more Scouting Oriented candidate like RonSwanson to be hired by the NY Jets. The Jets have assembled & retained a veteran front office that is well balanced in both scouting & cap administration.

lol

Is this the inauspicious redirect from "we need a football guy scouting GM, anyone can do the accounting" to "our GM should be in charge of teh accouting"?

No, it's why not hire someone to manage the cap.

Very happy the cap guy isn't in charge..

you big baby

I think it's a good idea.  There is a lot to focus on this year, being new and having to, in a way, catch up, so I am happy McCags is doing this.  I think this lets everything get more attention instead of doing this, then doing that, then going back to this--- I think this way is a win/win if everyone knows what they're doing.  Especially if McCags is overseeing it.  I agree with Slats.  Non issue.

No, it's why not hire someone to manage the cap.

Very happy the cap guy isn't in charge..

you big baby

I didn't think you were expressing a point of view, I thought you were leaving breadcrumbs for the flip-flop demographic here. I considered it a trolling compliment.

Instead, you're just being a whiny turd, but yeah, I'm the baby. Cream puff.

Good structure:

So, we kept Graves to shred old documents?

I didn't think you were expressing a point of view, I thought you were leaving breadcrumbs for the flip-flop demographic here. I considered it a trolling compliment.

Instead, you're just being a whiny turd, but yeah, I'm the baby. Cream puff.

Thats a long breadcrumb, the fli flop won't start happening in any tangible way till October

Thats a long breadcrumb, the fli flop won't start happening in any tangible way till October

You're talking to someone who has been years ahead of the sentiment curve here. I was giving you credit for trying to be a pioneer. LOL

Archived