Why are people so high on Mariota?

Sully28

61 members have voted

1. 1. Winston or Mariota?

• Marcus Mariota
    • Jameis Winston

I believe there's a consensus amongst the board that Mariota would be a great pick for us in the 1st. Moreover, I also get the feeling around here that everyone wants to stay away from Jameis Winston. I just want to know why everyone is so high on Mariota because, from what I've seen (not his highlights on YouTube but the handful of Oregon games I've watched), I hope the Jets would pass on him or trade down with a team who loves him (Eagles). Here are some of my main concerns about Mariota.

That offense he played in at Oregon completely skews his stats for me. That offense is designed for the QB to throw to wide open receivers, and I don't know if any of you have noticed but from the games I've watched his Wide Recievers are WIDE OPEN, no small window pro style under the center let the reciever get open offense, this gimmicky option spread that is miles different than anything he'll see in the NFL. No one is that wide open that often in the NFL. On the rare occasion where his receivers aren't wide open, too many times I've seen him either miss his guy or throw a pass that would undoubtedly be picked in the NFL.

On the other hand you have Jameis Winston, complete dumbass off the field, but if we're to listen to multiple anonymous NFL scouts, his football IQ is off the charts. He's a big body guy, tough to bring down. He wins a lot, played in a pro style offense making pro caliber throws to wide recievers that were not wide open, called plays, put up some big numbers, has a rifle for an arm, deep ball accuracy, my only concern with him is that he's prone to forcing the ball into tiny windows, which leads to picks in the NFL but a lot of his picks were batted and tipped balls.

I don't think either of these guys are the next Peyton Manning or Elway, but if I had my choice between these two, I'd choose Jameis over Mariota. Mariota has some arm talent but I don't think it's near Winston's nor will it ever be. If someone can convince me to get on the Mariota bandwagon, by all means try because I don't think Winston will be there at 6 and Mariota is a possibility at our pick. I just don't see the hype, other than his crazy inflated Oregon numbers and how well he performed in tights.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe there's a consensus amongst the board that Mariota would be a great pick for us in the 1st. Moreover, I also get the feeling around here that everyone wants to stay away from Jameis Winston. I just want to know why everyone is so high on Mariota because, from what I've seen (not his highlights on YouTube but the handful of Oregon games I've watched), I hope the Jets would pass on him or trade down with a team who loves him (Eagles). Here are some of my main concerns about Mariota.

That offense he played in at Oregon completely skews his stats for me. That offense is designed for the QB to throw to wide open receivers, and I don't know if any of you have noticed but from the games I've watched his Wide Recievers are WIDE OPEN, no small window pro style under the center let the reciever get open offense, this gimmicky option spread that is miles different than anything he'll see in the NFL. No one is that wide open that often in the NFL. On the rare occasion where his receivers aren't wide open, too many times I've seen him either miss his guy or throw a pass that would undoubtedly be picked in the NFL.

On the other hand you have Jameis Winston, complete dumbass off the field, but if we're to listen to multiple anonymous NFL scouts, his football IQ is off the charts. He's a big body guy, tough to bring down. He wins a lot, played in a pro style offense making pro caliber throws to wide recievers that were not wide open, called plays, put up some big numbers, has a rifle for an arm, deep ball accuracy, my only concern with him is that he's prone to forcing the ball into tiny windows, which leads to picks in the NFL but a lot of his picks were batted and tipped balls.

I don't think either of these guys are the next Peyton Manning or Elway, but if I had my choice between these two, I'd choose Jameis over Mariota. Mariota has some arm talent but I don't think it's near Winston's nor will it ever be. If someone can convince me to get on the Mariota bandwagon, by all means try because I don't think Winston will be there at 6 and Mariota is a possibility at our pick. I just don't see the hype, other than his crazy inflated Oregon numbers and how well he performed in tights.

Hard worker. Weak QB class. Pristine off the field.

I will say that while Mariota isn't a lights out prospect, he's better than a lot of the first round prospects to be available in the early first of the draft over the last few years. Same with Winston.

I wouldn't hate the Mariota pick but I wouldn't love it simply because of the type of offense he led in college. It wouldn't be a bad pick by any stretch of the imagination though.

I don't think there is any consensus at all on the QB.s  Some people love Winston, some hate him, some love Mariota, some hate him some want to stay away from both QB's at all costs, some say we have to take one if one falls to us.

I don't think Winston is a possibility at all unless tampa pulls a fast one.

My opinion?  I think Mariota can be good but any team picking him should be running an offense that suits his skills.  If a team ties to force him into another QB skill set I think he will fail.  As for Winston, I have no idea, the guy looks like a pro QB, is smart enough to be a pro QB, has a good enough arm to be a pro Qb but what the hell is he doing with such a horrible td/int ration last year?  I don't think he will be a total dumbass in the pros like he was in college but if he does not improve his decision making he will be a typical NY Jet type QB, horrible turnovers that kill a team.

Hard worker. Weak QB class. Pristine off the field.

None of those traits constitutes a top ten pick though. I get that as media hype but the posters on this board chirping for him I believe have more football/on field related reasons as to why they want him. Supposedly Jameis is a hard worker too, the only thing Mariota has over Winston is he's a great guy, but that shouldn't really matter when evaluating a QB.

I will say that while Mariota isn't a lights out prospect, he's better than a lot of the first round prospects to be available in the early first of the draft over the last few years. Same with Winston.

I wouldn't hate the Mariota pick but I wouldn't love it simply because of the type of offense he led in college. It wouldn't be a bad pick by any stretch of the imagination though.

This is true, the last couple QB classes have been very weak, these two are much better prospects.

Jets fans are starving for QB success and want it immediately they yearn for a franchise QB 46 years and counting you get the idea

Not exactly. Ken O'Brien and Chad Pennington are the next two up. To be honest, Washington has not had a franchise QB since Joe Thiesmann. Rypien and Williams were not really franchise QBs.

Keep picking until we get one!

As long as Brady is up there in New England giving home town discounts it won't matter who we have behind center.

We're building a team to take over the AFC east after TB12 unless we can break his legs or break his collarbone.

We should have taken Bridgewater last year! Instead we took a box safety, ugh, we never get it right.

the kid was 24/37 for 333 yds, 2 TDs and 1 INT in the nat'l championship game.  that's a pretty good stat line to me. against FSU he was 26/36 for 338, 2 TDs and 1 INT.  so total he was 50/73 671 yds, 4 TDs, 2 INTs.  that's a solid playoff if you ask me. 68.4% completion percentage. if that's what we're grading him on then IMO he's worth the pick.

he's had a great college career.  correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Geno considered a "system" QB coming out of WVU?

OP, this is my opinion, FWIW.

I liked both Winston and Mariota coming into this year, and I still like them both on the field. I think people evalutate risk differently, and think that it is more likely either that someone will get over their immaturity, or that someone will make a transition from "college" game to the pro-style.

For me, it was Winston's inconsistency is what compelled me to favor Mariota. The guy has a knack for "wtf interceptions" and had a serious flaw in not showing up for the beginning of games. I just don't think you get away with these in the NFL. And inconsistency, to me, is one of the most negative traits for a QB to have.

Both QBs have prototypical size at 6'3 1/2. They both have traits which make them hard to bring down--Winston is too big and strong to tackle immediately, while Mariota is hard to catch both in the pocket and in the open field.

Winston makes some throws where he anticipates the action on the field, and throws to the spot where the receiver is going to be and this is the main reason to prefer him. Mariota's system requires him to do this substantially less, to the point where people will say he doesn't at all. I think the idea that he only throws to open receivers has some merit, but he often shows good, if not great, accuracy, and leads receivers to make a good play on the ball.

Winston has been the captain and vocal leader, has called the teams plays in the huddle, whereas Mariota is this quiet kid who rarely opens his mouth, and has not had this responsibility.

If you are interested, watch this clip (below),of the Oregon team destroying Arizona in the Pac-12 championship. This game, on the whole, shows a lot of Mariota's athletic ability. But, we all know about that, and he won't be able to dominate to the same extent in the pros. However, this game was the final straw for me as far as believing in him as a pro-QB. I would like to draw your attention, first to an awful, awful throw at 0:38, where he gets very lucky that he isn't picked.  Clearly, he has flaws, and should not have made that throw. However, the plays he makes at 1:04, 1:22, and 1:58 are what make me think that he can throw from the pocket, on the run, with pressure, with accuracy, etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QM0yhZaBdo

the kid was 24/37 for 333 yds, 2 TDs and 1 INT in the nat'l championship game. that's a pretty good stat line to me. against FSU he was 26/36 for 338, 2 TDs and 1 INT. so total he was 50/73 671 yds, 4 TDs, 2 INTs. that's a solid playoff if you ask me. 68.4% completion percentage. if that's what we're grading him on then IMO he's worth the pick.

he's had a great college career. correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Geno considered a "system" QB coming out of WVU?

Watch the games not the box score. Almost every positive passing play mariota had was to the Rb in the flat or tag pass to a receiver running off a pick play. Anytime he had to make more than one read he struggled.

Here's my take on the Mariota dilemma.

Take Tom Brady out of the equation & ask yourself this:

Who would you take if I gave you these options:

Ryan Tannyhill

EJ Manuel

Marcus Mariota

Mariota sitting at 6 you have got to take that chance!

The only way I don't take him is if Kelly gives up a sh*tload to get him & we get Foles.

None of those traits constitutes a top ten pick though. I get that as media hype but the posters on this board chirping for him I believe have more football/on field related reasons as to why they want him. Supposedly Jameis is a hard worker too, the only thing Mariota has over Winston is he's a great guy, but that shouldn't really matter when evaluating a QB.

What does that even mean?  When dealing with a QB, if you think you have one that can be a franchise type guy (just think there's a shot) you have to take him.  If you don't think he's that guy than you shouldn't take him at all.  That's why QB go so high...The fact is we are desperate for a franchise QB and have to take more chances than you would like to.

If you pass on him at 6 - but would take him at 26? Doesn't really make sense when you're talking about a QB. 

That ******* ball floats in the air worse than pre-surgery Pennington's

I haven't seen much of him (I did see his last game, though). In that highlight clip above I see a lot of completed passes that (at the next level) would be batted down if he was lucky; intercepted outright if the DB isn't Kyle Wilson.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of more impressive film on him. There has to be, because no one gets talked about as a potential #1 overall pick if that's an example of a stellar highlight reel.

I haven't seen much of him (I did see his last game, though). In that highlight clip above I see a lot of completed passes that (at the next level) would be batted down if he was lucky; intercepted outright if the DB isn't Kyle Wilson.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of more impressive film on him. There has to be, because no one gets talked about as a potential #1 overall pick if that's an example of a stellar highlight reel.

As someone who would love the Jets to draft a big QB, I've looked at a ton of Mariota's games. They're all like that.

As someone who would love the Jets to draft a big QB, I've looked at a ton of Mariota's games. They're all like that.

Pretty much how I feel.  I found several full length games online because no use in just looking at highlight reels.  Came away with the same impression...screen passes and floaters to wide open receivers.  Not more than a few NFL-type throws.  That being said, somebody will take him early, and who knows...with the right coordinator maybe they find a way to maximize the things he does well.

I checked for Mariota. Why? Because when you go through all your check marks on a QB when you draft in 1st round

1. ARM STRENGTH

2. ACCURACY AND STAY AWAY FROM TURNOVERS.

3. STRONG AND ABLE TO ESCAPE AND MAKE A PLAY.

4. CONFIDENCE AND CONFIDENCE FROM YOUR TEAMMATES.

5. SMART AND ABLE TO READ DEFENSES AND AJUST TO A CHECK OFFS AND DON'T THROW INTO DOUBLE COVERAGE

6. WILLING TO TAKE ADVICE AND LEARN TO GET BETTER A YOUR POSITION

7. BE A GOOD CITIZEN AND STAY OUT OF TROUBLE WHICH COULD LEAD YOUR TEAM TO LOSE FOCUS.

Mariota has every check mark. He has arm strength - check mark

Accuracy - I give him a check but it could get better

Strength and escape- I give him a extended check

Confidence - I give him an extended check mark. Look what Long said about him.

Willing to learn - Another extended Check mark. He is been getting better every year.

Smart and able to read defenses- I give him a check mark but could get better. Not many INT. in college Be a good Citizen - An extended check mark. Great guy and humble

Winston Check marks are in Arm Strength, confidence and strength and escape.

Willing to learn - that is debatable since character issues

Accuracy - I give him a half a check mark due to many INT.

Smart and able to read defenses- again was INT caused from accuracy or can't read defenses.

The biggest no check mark are willing to learn and being a good citizen. He has digressed from last year so willing to get better. I can't see that and being a good citizen is beyond understanding knowing you are representing College Football as a Heismon Trophy winner.

So that is why I pick Mariota.

I checked for Mariota. Why? Because when you go through all your check marks on a QB when you draft in 1st round

1. ARM STRENGTH

2. ACCURACY AND STAY AWAY FROM TURNOVERS.

3. STRONG AND ABLE TO ESCAPE AND MAKE A PLAY.

4. CONFIDENCE AND CONFIDENCE FROM YOUR TEAMMATES.

5. SMART AND ABLE TO READ DEFENSES AND AJUST TO A CHECK OFFS AND DON'T THROW INTO DOUBLE COVERAGE

6. WILLING TO TAKE ADVICE AND LEARN TO GET BETTER A YOUR POSITION

7. BE A GOOD CITIZEN AND STAY OUT OF TROUBLE WHICH COULD LEAD YOUR TEAM TO LOSE FOCUS.

Mariota has every check mark. He has arm strength - check mark

Accuracy - I give him a check but it could get better

Strength and escape- I give him a extended check

Confidence - I give him an extended check mark. Look what Long said about him.

Willing to learn - Another extended Check mark. He is been getting better every year.

Smart and able to read defenses- I give him a check mark but could get better. Not many INT. in college Be a good Citizen - An extended check mark. Great guy and humble

Winston Check marks are in Arm Strength, confidence and strength and escape.

Willing to learn - that is debatable since character issues

Accuracy - I give him a half a check mark due to many INT.

Smart and able to read defenses- again was INT caused from accuracy or can't read defenses.

The biggest no check mark are willing to learn and being a good citizen. He has digressed from last year so willing to get better. I can't see that and being a good citizen is beyond understanding knowing you are representing College Football as a Heismon Trophy winner.

So that is why I pick Mariota.

Where can we get our hands on your annual draft guide?

Archived