Why are people so high on Mariota?

Sully28

61 members have voted

1. 1. Winston or Mariota?

• Marcus Mariota
    • Jameis Winston

Then why is he so highly touted (in keeping with the topic)?

I'd imagine for the same reasons Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert were highly touted. Height, stats, throws a football in a forward direction, and the thought that he'll figure out the rest when he gets into a camp.

Part of it too is that draftniks like McShay and Kiper have had him projected as the first overall pick for two years now, and can't bring themselves to contradict all the nonsense they've been peddling during that time. Even the execs you hear comment on Mariota qualify everything they say with "...in the right system." Meaning, if he goes to Philly, he'll be ok.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd imagine for the same reasons Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert were highly touted. Height, stats, throws a football in a forward direction, and the thought that he'll figure out the rest when he gets into a camp.

Part of it too is that draftniks like McShay and Kiper have had him projected as the first overall pick for two years now, and can't bring themselves to contradict all the nonsense they've been peddling during that time. Even the execs you hear comment on Mariota qualify everything they say with "...in the right system." Meaning, if he goes to Philly, he'll be ok.

I hate needing a QB.

It's truly a dark place. I'm a few weeks, someone is going to give Mark Sanchez another $20 mil, too.

Supply and demand.

The US is simply not producing enough athletes qualified to be a good pro QB.  As someone else mentioned, it's an oddity that with football being the country's favorite sport that there are not enough kids who can develop into good professional QBs,

The NFL should start investing in its own youth program/boarding school for boys 12 and older.  Create an NFL prepschool and scout the country, offering scholarships.   

Supply and demand.

The US is simply not producing enough athletes qualified to be a good pro QB. As someone else mentioned, it's an oddity that with football being the country's favorite sport that there are not enough kids who can develop into good professional QBs,

The NFL should start investing in its own youth program/boarding school for boys 12 and older. Create an NFL prepschool and scout the country, offering scholarships.

Everyone blames the spread offense. Kids don't learn to do anything from the QB position but hand off and throw swing passes. I don't think you'll ever change that, especially with the focus on reducing physicality in youth sports. It's safer and easier just to play pitch and catch as opposed to running the dive out of the I-formation. Nation of pussies.

Supply and demand.

The US is simply not producing enough athletes qualified to be a good pro QB.  As someone else mentioned, it's an oddity that with football being the country's favorite sport that there are not enough kids who can develop into good professional QBs,

The NFL should start investing in its own youth program/boarding school for boys 12 and older.  Create an NFL prepschool and scout the country, offering scholarships.   

The NFL is like a cheap uncle. 

While I agree with you that they SHOULD do this. They won't because it's all free for them now anyway. 

What did Dan Marino win in Miami? Matt Ryan in Atlanta?

If your concept of a franchise QB = championship, then how many franchise QBs are there out of 32?

Pennington and o'Brien weren't franchise QB's.. They both had some flashes but more or less sucked

Supply and demand.

Playing QB in football can be a total beatdown. Have you ever been blindsided by a 300 pound lineman who can run like the wind ? Some players have what it takes some do not ... Its by no means easy and if young QB's come into the league after being coddled in HS and College ball then start getting their brains beat in regularly its very hard to concentrate on your reads and your progressions once the play begins. The thing is there are plenty of athletes that can play the position of QB just fine the problem is can they deal with the mental aspect and the complete change of scenery in the NFL ? Most unfortunately can't, the great ones can. Its why you see a guy like Tom Brady get the crap beat out of him for 4 quarters then dive his team for the winning score ...He does it better than anyone EVER and that's what separates him from the others. Manning as great as he is can't perform to that level like Brady can and that's what separates those 2.

Supply and demand.

When has there ever been enough QBs available?  It's the most demanding position in the sport, takes physical ability and tons of football smarts.  

Everyone blames the spread offense. Kids don't learn to do anything from the QB position but hand off and throw swing passes. I don't think you'll ever change that, especially with the focus on reducing physicality in youth sports. It's safer and easier just to play pitch and catch as opposed to running the dive out of the I-formation. Nation of pussies.

It's also easy to run and scores tons of points against lower caliber defenses.

When has there ever been enough QBs available?  It's the most demanding position in the sport, takes physical ability and tons of football smarts.  

Simple answer is that right now it's more a product of college systems than it is athletes that high schools are producing. Different game, different systems, and outside of a small handful of schools, coaches really don't give a sh*t about fixing mechanics for the purpose of getting you ready for the pros when bad mechanics can get you by just fine at the college level.

Simple answer is that right now it's more a product of college systems than it is athletes that high schools are producing. Different game, different systems, and outside of a small handful of schools, coaches really don't give a sh*t about fixing mechanics for the purpose of getting you ready for the pros when bad mechanics can get you by just fine at the college level.

15 years ago there were articles written about the lack of good QBs in the league.  It's not a new thing.

There are more good QB's in the league now than there were 15 years ago. We had a Super Bowl starting Kerry Collins and Trent Dilfer.

Really ? looked to me he did pretty damn good even in the final when his team got beat down not him.

Well that's because you don't pay attention if a college qb has to make more than one read in a passing play. That Oregon offense is all passing to the running back, screens, tag passes and reverses. If mariota has to play in a conventional offense he will have similar struggles to Geno.

There are more good QB's in the league now than there were 15 years ago. We had a Super Bowl starting Kerry Collins and Trent Dilfer.

Not true. The rules are different now. DB's aren't allowed to touch the WR past 5 yards. The NFL has become a low rent version of tecmo bowl which is why Geno smith and Mark Sanchez can throw for 3,000 yards.

Watch the games not the box score. Almost every positive passing play mariota had was to the Rb in the flat or tag pass to a receiver running off a pick play. Anytime he had to make more than one read he struggled.

i'm an oregon fan, i've watched every game this season.  the plays you described sound like a pefect fit for Chan's offense to me.

That ******* ball floats in the air worse than pre-surgery Pennington's

I haven't seen much of him (I did see his last game, though). In that highlight clip above I see a lot of completed passes that (at the next level) would be batted down if he was lucky; intercepted outright if the DB isn't Kyle Wilson.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of more impressive film on him. There has to be, because no one gets talked about as a potential #1 overall pick if that's an example of a stellar highlight reel.

Are you ******* serious? Have you guys ever watched Manning play? Arm strength is probably one of the most overrated aspects of a qb. You guys ever watch Cutler or Stafford play? Their arms are inconsistent as all hell but they can throw a mean fast ball, which does very little for them since it's so inconsistent. 

Also, most of those throws were on the run. Mariota has more then enough arm strength to make it in this league.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/marcus-mariota/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1880862/marcus-mariota

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119521&draftyear=2015&genpos=QB

some points - effortless arm stregth, quick release, flashes deadly accuracy, good touch over defenders, rare scrambling ability.

cons - offense provided simple reads, never took a snap under center, occasionally throws across his body.

Footwork problems that derive from the spread are certainly part of it but it's a combination of several factors. Most college systems run short-to-deep systems with their reads, which give QBs less time to set their feet up for the vertical game. Distance, arc, velocity, it all gets screwed for the pro context and these kids get caught in a no-win situation, because if they stay it only becomes further engrained, and if they leave then they're increasing the likelihood of failure due to lack of experience. It's an aspect of the passing game that is non-negotiable in the pros, you simply cannot experience sustained success in the NFL if you can't drive the vertical ball.

Combine that with an offense that say, runs the triple option, and yeah, you're setting yourself up for a kid with not only read problems but footwork problems. And then combine that with the fact that no NFL franchise wants to let their guy hold a clipboard anymore because of this stupid "put the kid in and see what he has" notion. So nobody is willing to commit the time to fix any of the problems at either level.

Don't have one but my son is been saying after years of seeing me do this that I have to get one. I watch a lot of College football and I loved playing football when I was young. Went to he same High School as Doug Marrone.

Did you and Dougie watch a lot of film?

Archived