Sully28

61 members have voted

1. 1. Winston or Mariota?

• Marcus Mariota
    • Jameis Winston

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thousands of Jets fans won't show up if Geno Smith is our QB on opening day.

It's not that Mariotta is very desirable; its that John Idzik's "why not?" pick is box office poison. Most of our first rounders bust anyway, might as well make the prayer at the position we need the most.

SAR I

I believe there's a consensus amongst the board that Mariota would be a great pick for us in the 1st. Moreover, I also get the feeling around here that everyone wants to stay away from Jameis Winston. I just want to know why everyone is so high on Mariota because, from what I've seen (not his highlights on YouTube but the handful of Oregon games I've watched), I hope the Jets would pass on him or trade down with a team who loves him (Eagles). Here are some of my main concerns about Mariota.

That offense he played in at Oregon completely skews his stats for me. That offense is designed for the QB to throw to wide open receivers, and I don't know if any of you have noticed but from the games I've watched his Wide Recievers are WIDE OPEN, no small window pro style under the center let the reciever get open offense, this gimmicky option spread that is miles different than anything he'll see in the NFL. No one is that wide open that often in the NFL. On the rare occasion where his receivers aren't wide open, too many times I've seen him either miss his guy or throw a pass that would undoubtedly be picked in the NFL.

On the other hand you have Jameis Winston, complete dumbass off the field, but if we're to listen to multiple anonymous NFL scouts, his football IQ is off the charts. He's a big body guy, tough to bring down. He wins a lot, played in a pro style offense making pro caliber throws to wide recievers that were not wide open, called plays, put up some big numbers, has a rifle for an arm, deep ball accuracy, my only concern with him is that he's prone to forcing the ball into tiny windows, which leads to picks in the NFL but a lot of his picks were batted and tipped balls.

I don't think either of these guys are the next Peyton Manning or Elway, but if I had my choice between these two, I'd choose Jameis over Mariota. Mariota has some arm talent but I don't think it's near Winston's nor will it ever be. If someone can convince me to get on the Mariota bandwagon, by all means try because I don't think Winston will be there at 6 and Mariota is a possibility at our pick. I just don't see the hype, other than his crazy inflated Oregon numbers and how well he performed in tights.

thruth be told, I am not in love with either qb. I do, however, like Winston better than mariota. I don't think there is a shot at Winston, but there might be a shot with mariota. the jets need to take a shot with a qb and keep doing so till they find one.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/marcus-mariota/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1880862/marcus-mariota

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119521&draftyear=2015&genpos=QB

some points - effortless arm stregth, quick release, flashes deadly accuracy, good touch over defenders, rare scrambling ability.

cons - offense provided simple reads, never took a snap under center, occasionally throws across his body.

Christian Ponder.

I prefer Mariota. But who is to say? I'm not a scout, not a draftnik, and don't watch much college FB outside of the teams I root for. It is real easy to say "JETS BETTER NOT DRAFT XXXXX HE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!" from behind a keyboard.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/marcus-mariota/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1880862/marcus-mariota

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119521&draftyear=2015&genpos=QB

some points - effortless arm stregth, quick release, flashes deadly accuracy, good touch over defenders, rare scrambling ability.

cons - offense provided simple reads, never took a snap under center, occasionally throws across his body.

This basically Geno's scouting report coming out of WVU and I watched all of Geno's college games, all of this could be said about him in college.

I hope we get Mariota just for the entertainment aspect.  

Having him on the team gives us hope and a reason to watch next season. 

Another year of Geno with no young alternative on the roster, makes for a very dull season.

i'm an oregon fan, i've watched every game this season. the plays you described sound like a pefect fit for Chan's offense to me.

Then why waste a top 6 pick in a loaded draft on mariota when we can get the other great Oregon qb's like Akili Smith, Joey Harrington and Kellen Clemens?

Are you ******* serious? Have you guys ever watched Manning play? Arm strength is probably one of the most overrated aspects of a qb. You guys ever watch Cutler or Stafford play? Their arms are inconsistent as all hell but they can throw a mean fast ball, which does very little for them since it's so inconsistent. 

Also, most of those throws were on the run. Mariota has more then enough arm strength to make it in this league.

Are you?

No one is suggesting one is a substitute for the other.

I haven't really formed a full opinion of Mariota because I really have seen very little of him and readily admit as much. But those softer touch passes are totally fine if he's always leading his receivers. In the compilation posted, I saw a lot of those "non-fastballs" where he wasn't at all leading his guy, though. Like the TD to the back of the EZ he was behind his receiver by 1-2 yards. Still good enough for a TD when there's no coverage (or poor coverage), but if a defender is covering moderately well it would have been batted down or jumped in front of for a pick since he'd be technically leading the defender more than his own receiver. There didn't appear to be traffic congestion in the passing lane that required him to throw it behind his man. There was another where he just lollipopped it down the right sideline on a non-comeback route, where a stronger or more accurate throw turns a lucky completion due to poor/late coverage into an easy TD.

I don't have any idea if this is typical for him - throwing behind his receiver was among Geno's problems, for example - or if it's just one isolated game where his accuracy wasn't on. Everyone has good and bad games and it's entirely possible I saw most of one meh game and only selected plays from another.

But to bring up Peyton Manning, as you did, certainly you must know he could fire it in when it was necessary until recently. When he couldn't put oomph into it and was reduced to arm-passing later last season there was a dramatic difference in his effectiveness. He was still mostly successful, because of all that experience, his receiving weapons help a lot, and frankly he's got it together upstairs like just about no one else. But we all saw the difference.

Manning had plenty of arm from the time he came into the league and most definitely had a good fastball. Possessing a fastball and always using one even when it's not called for aren't related, so the Cutler/Stafford comparisons (as though that's the only alternative) are misplaced.

He won't be there at 6 anyway. I hope they are both gone by 6. As far as hand size Mariota 9 7/8 and Winston's are 9 3/8. If the Jets want Mariota they will have to move up for him. I heard some dumbass Miami talk show host saying that the Jets will move up for Mariota and use Mo Wilk as bait, I don't know where they come up with this crap. I can't stand the sports media in Miami worst in the country.

He won't be there at 6 anyway. I hope they are both gone by 6. As far as hand size Mariota 9 7/8 and Winston's are 9 3/8. If the Jets want Mariota they will have to move up for him. I heard some dumbass Miami talk show host saying that the Jets will move up for Mariota and use Mo Wilk as bait, I don't know where they come up with this crap. I can't stand the sports media in Miami worst in the country.

Was that Sid Rosenberg? How many shows has he had cancelled in the Miami market yet they keep giving him jobs?

Was that Sid Rosenberg? How many shows has he had cancelled in the Miami market yet they keep giving him jobs?

I know right!! It was a couple of Homers on an AM show. I can't stand the NFL media down here all they do is focus on the Jets and even if the topic of the conversation isn't about the Jets someone will take a shot at the Jets. F them

What station is this? Thank god for the Internets

Are you?

No one is suggesting one is a substitute for the other.

I haven't really formed a full opinion of Mariota because I really have seen very little of him and readily admit as much. But those softer touch passes are totally fine if he's always leading his receivers. In the compilation posted, I saw a lot of those "non-fastballs" where he wasn't at all leading his guy, though. Like the TD to the back of the EZ he was behind his receiver by 1-2 yards. Still good enough for a TD when there's no coverage (or poor coverage), but if a defender is covering moderately well it would have been batted down or jumped in front of for a pick since he'd be technically leading the defender more than his own receiver. There didn't appear to be traffic congestion in the passing lane that required him to throw it behind his man. There was another where he just lollipopped it down the right sideline on a non-comeback route, where a stronger or more accurate throw turns a lucky completion due to poor/late coverage into an easy TD.

I don't have any idea if this is typical for him - throwing behind his receiver was among Geno's problems, for example - or if it's just one isolated game where his accuracy wasn't on. Everyone has good and bad games and it's entirely possible I saw most of one meh game and only selected plays from another.

But to bring up Peyton Manning, as you did, certainly you must know he could fire it in when it was necessary until recently. When he couldn't put oomph into it and was reduced to arm-passing later last season there was a dramatic difference in his effectiveness. He was still mostly successful, because of all that experience, his receiving weapons help a lot, and frankly he's got it together upstairs like just about no one else. But we all saw the difference.

Manning had plenty of arm from the time he came into the league and most definitely had a good fastball. Possessing a fastball and always using one even when it's not called for aren't related, so the Cutler/Stafford comparisons (as though that's the only alternative) are misplaced.

Completely disregards that the kid was on the run on most of those throws. In case you didn't know, those are really good throws for a qb on the run. Also, you replied to Shane's post insinuating that you agreed with Shane that the kid has a weak arm. The kid has above average arm strength. He has a much stronger arm then Wilson did when Wilson came into the league. 

And which throw are you talking about in the end zone? The only one that was semi-close to being behind was the one where he threw up high. That was a safe throw that only gives his receiver the chance to make a play. No corner is going to be able to jump that high and pick that ball in the NFL.

Completely disregards that the kid was on the run on most of those throws. In case you didn't know, those are really good throws for a qb on the run. Also, you replied to Shane's post insinuating that you agreed with Shane that the kid has a weak arm. The kid has above average arm strength. He has a much stronger arm then Wilson did when Wilson came into the league. 

And which throw are you talking about in the end zone? The only one that was semi-close to being behind was the one where he threw up high. That was a safe throw that only gives his receiver the chance to make a play. No corner is going to be able to jump that high and pick that ball in the NFL.

He's not always on the run, but sometimes - particularly when there's enough separation or on something downfield - it's better to take the extra split-second to set and throw properly instead of arm-throwing it far more weakly. There's less airtime and you've got a better chance of throwing a more accurate pass that will lead the receiver. It's nice to applaud a completed 20-yard pass in the air, but it's not so great if the potential was very much there for it to have been 27 yards in the air that the WR runs another 30-40 yards with, all the way to the EZ, if only he was hit in stride.

Being totally honest, I have absolutely no idea if he has a strong arm or a weak arm. What's being presented is that he will still lob a pass that would be better suited for rifling it in there. A QB who can't (or won't) is going to miss out on dozens of first downs and/or touchdowns over the course of a season if he's always waiting for a couple of yards of separation before releasing anything downfield. I don't know if that's what he does routinely, but I'm saying it's my concern with a guy who will forgo the throw if he can't Pennington it in there.

The EZ pass I only watched once. But what caught my eye was it was noticeably behind his receiver, who was wide open through a clear/wide passing lane. Correct me if I missed it, but it didn't seem like it was a pass that was intentionally thrown behind the receiver so he'd be the only one who could possibly touch it. No defender was going to be any closer to a throw right on the money, either just in front of him or at/above center mass. He simply was off. It didn't matter on that play, obviously, but what it suggests is if there was moderately-decent coverage (but still TD-able with a strike) he won't throw it. Either that or it'll be incomplete/intercepted.

His supposed strength is that he's Peyton Manning/Joe Montana Jr. from the neck up, who knows where everyone is every fraction of a second (or such is how the tale is being told). That on most pass plays at least 1 receiver is wide open, and that a QB who can quickly run through his progressions can find him instead of missing the opportunity while wasting time staring down his primary read for too long (Geno, Sanchez, and other lousy/stupid QBs do this). Problem is sometimes, with the drive or game on the line, someone isn't necessarily wide open and a QB has to set his feet and fire it into a smaller window to his go-to guy. I'm not saying he can't do that; rather, I just haven't seen it.

sure, but IMO Mariota was WAY more successful then Geno in college.

I don't see how you can say that unless you're talking about who was the more effective runner. Even with that I think that may not be such an amazing stat for Mariota just because it shows that he's less of a pass first guy. Geno lived in the pocket at WVU he only ran when he absolutely needed to. Passing numbers are pretty much the same, I can say without a doubt in my mind Geno made way more NFL throws than Mariota did because his wide receivers weren't as wide open as Mariota's. I really don't see a big enough difference between Geno and Mariota that would entice me to spend the 6th overall pick on him, I mean I'm no GM or Scout, but as far as I can see I view Geno and Mariota as 1A 1B.

I don't see how you can say that unless you're talking about who was the more effective runner. Even with that I think that may not be such an amazing stat for Mariota just because it shows that he's less of a pass first guy. Geno lived in the pocket at WVU he only ran when he absolutely needed to. Passing numbers are pretty much the same, I can say without a doubt in my mind Geno made way more NFL throws than Mariota did because his wide receivers weren't as wide open as Mariota's. I really don't see a big enough difference between Geno and Mariota that would entice me to spend the 6th overall pick on him, I mean I'm no GM or Scout, but as far as I can see I view Geno and Mariota as 1A 1B.

Really Tavon Austin and Bailey weren't always wide open?

The comparisons between Geno and Mariota are actually pretty valid. Mariota is a better athlete but Geno might actually be a better passer.

Neither one played in anything resembling a pro style offense in college but for some reason people think Mariota will just learn by watching Matt Moore.

Archived