Todd Bowles and Matt Moore

Dennis Byrd 90

Bowles coached the Fins at the end of 2011.  Matt Moore was the qb then and he went 2 and 1.  I think Moore would be a great addition and would help stabilize the qb situation until we can find one.  He is 30 so two or three years.  It will allow for us to draft a qb and develop.  I'd be excited.  I think with a few other moves our offense would be average and we would be in most games and fun to watch.  Hopefully this happens.   

lol.

This is just new low's man. 

Give Geno Smith an improved OL along with a #1 WR improve the running game and we make the playoffs 

I keep seeing improved OL from posters as an excuse for Geno.  Honestly besides penalties (looking at you Colon) Geno Smith was like in the top 5 of QBs all year who had THE MOST time to throw a pass.  Geno takes sacks because Geno can't read defenses and holds the ball too long.  He literally can't process the information in front of him fast enough at the NFL level.  This isn't 2 years ago where there was no weapons.  We had weapons on offense this year and they actually worked even if we weren't at 100% the whole year. (What NFL team really ever is).  The problem solely lies in Geno's Head and hands.  He is careless with protecting the ball and too slow to process info at the NFL level imo.  I'm fine with keeping him and developing him as with time he may get better and be a serviceable backup in this league but we need to find someone else under center this year and beyond.

I keep seeing improved OL from posters as an excuse for Geno.  Honestly besides penalties (looking at you Colon) Geno Smith was like in the top 5 of QBs all year who had THE MOST time to throw a pass.  Geno takes sacks because Geno can't read defenses and holds the ball too long.  He literally can't process the information in front of him fast enough at the NFL level.  This isn't 2 years ago where there was no weapons.  We had weapons on offense this year and they actually worked even if we weren't at 100% the whole year. (What NFL team really ever is).  The problem solely lies in Geno's Head and hands.  He is careless with protecting the ball and too slow to process info at the NFL level imo.  I'm fine with keeping him and developing him as with time he may get better and be a serviceable backup in this league but we need to find someone else under center this year and beyond.

Fair enough but what about our WRs the Jets lack a true #1 WR go to guy playmaker Decker isn't a #1 our WRs also the last few years ran very poor routes MM was a terrible OC which didn't help Geno either 

I think the idea is to have a higher floor.  Geno has been wildly inconsistent.  With a sort of steady squid type guy like Moore,  Fitzpatrick, McCown or Hoyer you can get a better idea of where your team is at.  Geno was so bad some games that if the other 21 guys had career days you still couldn't win.

I can almost see that if it wasn't for the fact you are going to have to pay at least 4x what Geno makes to get a guy with less upside that might guaranty you merely mediocre QB play.

Because Geno has been literally the worst starting QB in the NFL for the past two years 

This, Jets have had a bottom 6 QBR for the last 4 years, average and old is sadly an improvement

2014 29th Smith

2013 28th Smith

2012 32nd Sanchez

2011 26th Sanchez (Moore was 17th)

2010 17th Sanchez AFCCG

2009 23rd Sanchez AFCCG

2008 23rd Favre

2007 22nd Penny

2006 9th Penny 

Fair enough but what about our WRs the Jets lack a true #1 WR go to guy playmaker Decker isn't a #1 our WRs also the last few years ran very poor routes MM was a terrible OC which didn't help Geno either 

Our WR play actually isn't as bad as it was (at the end of Sanchez era)  I would actually argure that MM actually brought a competent offense to the Jets.  (WR actually do get open in his system)  But Geno just doesn't find them in time.  NFL Breakdowns has pretty much exposed Geno Smith for the reasons I noted previously.  I'm higher on Decker than a lot of other people might be.  He isn't an "elite" #1 WR where everything is carried on his back but he is a competent starting WR (who also played with a nagging hammy and had Geno Smith throwing to him) I think we are literally only 1 competent WR away from having a dangerous receiving corps.

A great example of knowing your offense is limited by your QB.  Look at the first 3 games of the last 2 years.  Look at how aggressive the offense is and how easily we move the ball down the field.  But then your young QB starts to get exposed, makes a ton of really stupid mistakes that cost you the game and that aggressive offense you have a tendency to run has to  be sheltered and you start to second guess and try to accommodate your offense around limitations.  I don't know the politics that went on with the Jets but MM does not ground and pound.  Rex Ryan grounds and pounds.  The fact that we progressively get more conservative as each season goes on, for me shows you are limited to what you can work with and if we have a QB that can't be trusted to make decisions quick enough and makes your offense one dimensional, we need to move on.

I would be fine with a Matt Moore or McCown vet on the team, not necessarily starting but you need a vet presence I think.  But I think you have to keep drafting a QB until you hit on one.  The biggest change I want to see from this organization is the ability to cut ties and move on.  We have a terrible reputation of hanging on to "developmental" players long past their expiration date.  If the kid can't make decisions fast enough we need to acknowledge that and move in a different direction as quickly as possible.  

Matt Moore was on the brink of being the top FA QB in 2013, and rather than test that market, he opted to remain the Dolphins backup for $4M/year. I don't expect him to be in play, and question how badly he "wants it," if he's so willing to settle for a backup job like that in the first place.

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that Matt Moore doesn't want to start.  That he is a confirmed Clipboard Man.  That he can put in 10 years at a million or two a year, and not have to think about a future filled with chronic arthritis, post concussion syndrome, or shredded elbow and knee ligaments.

Matt Moore was on the brink of being the top FA QB in 2013, and rather than test that market, he opted to remain the Dolphins backup for $4M/year. I don't expect him to be in play, and question how badly he "wants it," if he's so willing to settle for a backup job like that in the first place.

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that Matt Moore doesn't want to start.  That he is a confirmed Clipboard Man.  That he can put in 10 years at a million or two a year, and not have to think about a future filled with chronic arthritis, post concussion syndrome, or shredded elbow and knee ligaments.

I read this a bunch, but Tannehill was not a slam dunk at that point.  He seems to be turning out, but staying in a place where they know you and offer up $4M per is a little different than running off to backup Aaron Rodgers.  Tannehill was 8 overall, but Moore probably had as a good a chance of starting there as anywhere.  I don't think any team was going to offer him up a starting job.  He was going to be competing with failing high picks with teams like the Jets and Vikings.  Going into 2013 Ponder was probably as highly thought of as Tannehill and everybody knew the Jets were likely to go QB in the draft.  Going to one of those teams  that was probably going QB in the draft is no surer thing than Miami where he was comfortable and not paying income tax.

Would you be opposed to bringing in two veteran QB's, including Moore as our backup?

Would you be opposed to bringing in two veteran QB's, including Moore as our backup?

I'm not opposed to Moore, I just don't see him moving. I'd prefer one vet and one draft pick, with the vet being legitimate competition for Geno this season (which Moore would be).

Mallet is a FA and a bunch of people expect them to sign Mallet and cut Fitzpatrick.

I would rather have Fitzpatrick over Geno since he is familiar with Chans offense and did pretty well running it. If Bowles can get the D squared away we should at least be competitive on both sides of the ball. I don't trust Geno at all.

Archived