Tensions Rising Between Peterson's agent, Vikings

AFJF

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25079053/tensions-rise-between-adrian-petersons-agent-vikings-exec-in-indy

The decaying relationship between Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson and the organization took a dramatic turn during the combine last week in downtown Indianapolis: Peterson's agent, Ben Dogra, had to be separated from a member of Minnesota's front office during a heated verbal altercation about the former Pro Bowler, according to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation.

According to the sources, Dogra engaged in a heated exchange with Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski during which the agent made it clear that Peterson would never play there again. The incident took place during a time when outside parties were in the vicinity. Finally, former Tampa Bay general manager Mark Dominik intervened, separating the men and diffusing the escalating tension, sources said.

The Vikings did not respond to requests to comment for this report. Dogra did not respond to numerous messages. Dominik has not commented as well.

Peterson, who is signed through 2017 and set to make $13 million in 2015, has no intention of playing again for the Vikings, sources said. Peterson, sources said, lost faith and trust in the franchise after a tumultuous ordeal over his child abuse charges that resulted in him missing nearly the entire season on the Commissioner's Exempt List while his legal situation played out.

“He will never play another game for the Vikings,” said one person close to the player. “It's over.”

While it is not unusual for tempers to rise during the combine, the scope of this clash – taking place regarding an active personnel situation with a star of Peterson's caliber – in that setting is certainly well outside the norm. It crystallizes the simmering friction between the camps, according to those familiar with the divide between the sides. It came at a time when Vikings team officials continued to make unified, sweeping statements during media sessions at the combine about how committed they are to Peterson's return. (Though Vikings general manager Rick Spielman refused to discuss Peterson's contract with us in the below video, an outlier among running back compensation, and whether the team would continue to pay the player such a steep salary following his off-field woes.)

Peterson and the NFLPA have taken their case against the NFL's discipline to a federal court, and, unless the court was to intervene, Peterson currently cannot be reinstated to the league until April 15 at the earliest. Peterson's camp has every intention to hasten his trade or release from Minnesota, and this situation could continue to flare between now and then.

Peterson, 29, has spent his entire illustrious career with the Vikings since being selected seventh overall in 2007, racking up rushing titles and becoming the face of that franchise and one of the more decorated players in Vikings history. But relationships began to erode after the team initially announced he would return to the Vikings following his indictment on child abuse charges in Texas, but then, in concert with the league, ended up brokering a deal that put Peterson on the exempt list – and paid in full for the duration of the season.

After all of the public and media backlash the Vikings absorbed for their initial handling of the Peterson case -- including having a top sponsor, Radisson, pull out -- some believe the team will not be inclined to go through a prolonged fight with Peterson, when some in the organization maintain concerns over his contract and off-field activities. Trading or cutting Peterson results in no significant cap ramifications, and in fact would save the team $13M in cash and $13M in cap space. They managed to run the ball decently without him last season and had a strong showing overall, finishing 7-9 with rookie quarterback Teddy Bridgewater and engendering positive vibes and hopes for the future.

The longer this goes on, and the more uncomfortable it is, the Vikings may have no choice but to part with the player. Peterson's contract – with a whopping $48M remaining over the next three years – is an anomaly for running backs and one no team may want to take on. Peterson would seemingly be more inclined to take less elsewhere.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Peterson have mutual admiration, and Peterson makes his home in Texas. Further, the Cowboys have been linked with the running back in NFL circles for quite some time, though sources said a coupling of the two would hardly be a slam dunk. One source suggested the Washington Redskins as a dark-horse potential suitor for him.

Even at a time when the money has been drying up for running backs, Peterson's exploits, including a 2,000-yard season, would make him attractive to several teams. There would be a market for him, despite his status with the league's personal conduct policy.

In the meantime, the Vikings could face more uncomfortable questions about the running back's future with the club as it becomes increasingly clear Peterson is committed to moving on from them.

The agent is a dumbass.  You can't just make a comment like that because you are in a spat with a member of the org.  The Vikes will not get great value in a trade if you ask me and if they are stubborn they can hold him back.  In any case he is not going to win the publicity war on this one.

I can't believe I have to stick up for a guy like AP but...

The Vikes need to sh*t or get off the pot. It's not fair to just leave him in limbo like this.

What are the vikings supposed to do? And they did not leave him in limbo, his criminal actions that embarrassed his team did.

I can't believe I have to stick up for a guy like AP but...

The Vikes need to sh*t or get off the pot. It's not fair to just leave him in limbo like this.

Limbo?  What do you mean?  do you mean they should immediately trade the guy where he wants for low value?  An nfl front offices #1 responsibility is to the team and their fans, all else is 2ndary.  They helped make the guy a star, they want him back they have paid him a ton of money.

Limbo? What do you mean? do you mean they should immediately trade the guy where he wants for low value? An nfl front offices #1 responsibility is to the team and their fans, all else is 2ndary. They helped make the guy a star, they want him back they have paid him a ton of money.

They made it a point to NOT play him. They haven't fought the NFL on the exempt list at all.

If the PA had any balls at all they'd be all over this months ago.

They made it a point to NOT play him. They haven't fought the NFL on the exempt list at all.

If the PA had any balls at all they'd be all over this months ago.

They really did not have a ton of choice on this, this is just after the Ray Rice thing and fans were very sensitive of these issues.  They would have been tarred and feathered if they just stuck him back in asap.

They really did not have a ton of choice on this, this is just after the Ray Rice thing and fans were very sensitive of these issues.  They would have been tarred and feathered if they just stuck him back in asap.

Yeah I get all that.  But this was months ago. It's February and he doesn't know what next year looks like. I'm sure the morality cops will be here soon. And I agree that what he did was awful. What I'm talking about is business. 

His trade value has plummeted.

Unless Jerry Jones makes a dumbass offer, Vikes won't get much in return.

What do you think AP would be worth as a FA in 2018 after not playing a down for 3 years?

That's not happening.

The PA or any lawyer worth a sh*t would be all over that. 

The agent is a dumbass.  You can't just make a comment like that because you are in a spat with a member of the org.  The Vikes will not get great value in a trade if you ask me and if they are stubborn they can hold him back.  In any case he is not going to win the publicity war on this one.

Trade?  Who the hell is going to want to take on $13M per for a RB and give up compensation for the pleasure?

His trade value has plummeted.

Unless Jerry Jones makes a dumbass offer, Vikes won't get much in return.

What do you think AP would be worth as a FA in 2018 after not playing a down for 3 years?

I think they should trade him to the Jets for our 2nd this year.

Keeps him out of the NFC. Of course AP would renegotiate his contract to a cap friendly number as we only have 50 million to spend.

AP is under contract with the Vikings through 2017.

If he holds out and doesn't play for them, the Vikings have no obligation to pay him and the NFLPA couldn't do a damn thing.

You keep saying this. He's not holding out, he's not being allowed to play. 

He is under contract with the Vikings through 2017.

The Vikings don't have to do a thing.

Peterson is schedule to make a lot of money. They probably need him to restructure his contract. There is no way he's restructure for them. They have only two choices . one pay him the salary he's due in 2015, or cut him. No one trading for him at that salary.

You keep saying this. He's not holding out, he's not being allowed to play.

He will be reinstated April 15th. Once he is, the Vikings will allow him to play.

My comments were to his agent claiming AP will never play for the Vikings. They have no control over that at all.

"Peterson can't be reinstated until April 15, though the NFL Players Association is suing the league in federal court to expedite his return. Peterson will turn 30 next month, and it remains to be seen whether the Vikings would keep him on his current contract, which calls for him to make a base salary of $12.75 million next season."

Peterson is schedule to make a lot of money. They probably need him to restructure his contract. There is no way he's restructure for them. They have only two choices . one pay him the salary he's due in 2015, or cut him. No one trading for him at that salary.

Did you forget the Raiders traded Randy Moss to the Pats for a 4th rd pick because they were the only team he would restructure for? Trade him to Dallas and he might do the same.. 

jerry jones and AP spoke on the phone about AP playing for the cowboys.  it was investigated for tampering and nothing happened

I wonder if the vikings will look at those tampering charges again

get the popcorn !

Why?

Jerry Jones has the same Lawyer as Woody. Tampering will never stick to those guys unless somebody wears a wire.

Yeah I get all that.  But this was months ago. It's February and he doesn't know what next year looks like. I'm sure the morality cops will be here soon. And I agree that what he did was awful. What I'm talking about is business. 

And he is not off the suspended list either until April 15th.  What does he want the team to do, cut him and not get anything in return?  Don't you think the team owes it to thier season ticketholders and fans to do what is best for the team or the best for a guy that no longer wants to play on that team, Because that team would not publically defend him after he took a switch to a preschooler.

They don't need him to restructure, they are 15 mill under the cap with his cap number the way it is. And the team can suspend him for contract violations (arrested) over and above what the nfl did.  He wants out, let his agent work a trade deal once the NFL takes him off the suspended list in April. If not the team can suspend him for one game and not allow him to do workouts or TC. He wants to shoot his way out, let him shoot himself in the foot while he is doing so. The team paid him 10 mill last year for him to sit in a courtroom and have the league office suspend him for a year. And he thinks the team owes him something?

jerry jones and AP spoke on the phone about AP playing for the cowboys.  it was investigated for tampering and nothing happened

I wonder if the vikings will look at those tampering charges again

get the popcorn !

It was never investigated for tampering, the vikings never filed a complaint. Just because there was a lot of talk in the media does not make it so. No complaint was ever filed. The vikings believed Jones that he did not know it was Peterson on the phone when he took the call.

And he is not off the suspended list either until April 15th.  What does he want the team to do, cut him and not get anything in return?  Don't you think the team owes it to thier season ticketholders and fans to do what is best for the team or the best for a guy that no longer wants to play on that team, Because that team would not publically defend him after he took a switch to a preschooler.

If your job refused to let you work you'd complain too. And even if they're paying they're screwing him over by not getting any reps in.

As for what he did? Awful. But an NFL team taking a "stand" on anything is a joke. Your problem (and mine) should be with the prosecutors. 

I'm just saying, something has to give here. Either play him or cut/trade him. 

Archived