My review of my top 12 receivers and more in the 2015 draft

Tony The Wiz

Want to give you my run down of my top receivers in this upcoming draft. First I will tell you that in the last 3 years due to injury on the job I have watched at least 750 games between Division 1, 1aa, 2 and even 3. Mount union has given the NFL a couple of good receivers. So I been evaluating the draft for a long time as I said in many post. If you follow me I gave you my top players last year and it is in my content. I also evaluated in a previous post yesterday on which QB I would rather have poll and I gave an explanation on how I came to Mariota was the QB who should come off 1st off the draft. You could take a look on that persons post and see how I came to a conclusion. First I am a rabid Jet fan and Patriot hater and even had a Mr.Joe Namath's autograph on a one dollar bill which he personally autographed it for me back in the early seventies. Joe was my idoland hung out in my old neighborhood. So before I rate my receiver groups all you haters out

there and start insulting me I really don't respect that. I do respect you disagreeing because that is your right. Just hopefully when you disagree you have watched that particular player play anddetermined your decision and not on Mel Kiper stats. Remember we all have been

wrong on picks as well as GMS out there. Remember Ryan Leaf. We all got that wrong. But I have to say I was correct and all the so called experts were wrong on Mark Sanchez and then Geno Smith. Mysons as all Jet fans loved getting Sanchez. I was totally against it since he only

had 18 starts and he wasn't ready for the NFL. Even his own coach stated it. Did anyone watch him at the combine? His accuracy wasn't good throwing to a sideline but he was good on post patterns. He saw the money and came out. Geno Smith was another one which was all hype

from playing in a weak defensive Big 12. Watched him in the Pinstripe Bowl and got out played badly by the Syracuse QB who was drafted by the Giants. What botheed me more about Geno was his immaturity during that game yelling at his players and looking always down on himself.

He was like that all year and it showed more the day of the draft. Well guess what Jet fans he is still like that. My three all time picks for the Jets where I was all in on was Mark Gatineau who I fell in love as a player at the Hula bowl, Freeman Mcneil who I watched at U.C.L.A.

and Chad Penington who I jumped 10 feet in the air when we selected him. It was a shame that his career was marred by injuries. The worst three picks

where I got sick to my stomach and there was a lot to pick was Johnny Lam Jones out of Texas A%M who was a track star playing football, Dewayne Robertson{I still don't understand this} and Kyle Brady{Why?}. Some good memories but a lot of bad memmories. So before I rank my receivers

I want to give the person a shout out to who emailed me from Austraila thanking me with my College update. I thank you for being a New York Jet fan.

So here I go giving you my receivers rankings and why I think they will be excellent, good or average receivers in this

upcoming draft.

My Top 12 and where they should go.

1. JALEN STRONG - out of Arizona St. - Why do I love this receiver? At nearly 6 foot 3 with 3/4 cleates he has big

hands and catching everything. He plays bigger han he is. More like a 6:5 guy. He fights for the ball like he is going to do in he NFL. He was actually

faster than I thought at the combine. Also what I have heard he has been a good student and person. Also remember his starting QB

was injured and a new QB came in who I actually thought was better for a few games. Than the original QB came back and he was more of a running QB. His numbers would of been better and the offense was all him. Reminds me of Fitzerald.

2. DAVONTE PARKER - Louisville- At 6:2 1/2 bare feet is also a big receiver with speed and again great hands. Was

better last year before he got injured with a better QB. Good route runner and should be a top 10 pick like Strong. Also has been time at 4:45 and is real smooth.

3. DORIAL GREEN-BECKHAM - Was at Missouri.- The best receiver in this draft talent wise. I love big receivers for the

NFL and ones who are fast even better. At near 6:6 with cleates he is as close to Megatron that I have seen physically. He is better than

Benjamin from last year but obviously he has red flags with his suspension from asault on his girlfriends roommate and his two smoking the

weed charges. But talent wise he is the whole package. Some one will take him in the mid 1st or sooner. He is that good.

4. DEVIN SMITH - OHIO ST. - He really moved up for me since he is a big play and big game receiver. He sort of

reminds me of another Smith in Steve but he is physically bigger and the same height as Cooper. He runs 4:42 which I thought was slow for him

as he must have a burst since he looks lke a 4:35 kind of speed on the football field. Some people have him a 2nd round pick and I can't see

that as this drafts best atletes are receivers. He should be picked around 18 to 22

5. KEVIN WHITE - West Virginia - The hardest WR to figure. At 6:3 1/2 with cleates and 4:35 speed he has all the attributes as a number 1 receiver but there is one game that bothers me was the TCU game which I watched and he got blanketed by a 5:9 cornerback with his same name. I love Kevin White the cornerback and if he was 3 inches taller he be in my top 5 cornerbacks but Kevin White the receiver should of never got shut down. He was also frustrated in this game and showed it on the field. But his physical tools lands him in the first round and probably beforeSmith and may go in top 10. I like him like Smith around 18 to 22.

6. TYLER LOCKETT - Kansas St.- This is when all Jet fans are going to call me every name in the book. Where is Cooper.

Why I like Lockett more, but the Jets don't need him, is that he will be not only a wonderful receiver but a really good return man.

If we sign Harvin we don't need a returner. Coming out of college he is way better than a receiver all you Jet fans want if Harvin

leaves and that is Randall Cobb. Watched Cobb at Kentucky and loved him and he turned out real good just like I am saying with Lockett.

He has blood lines and at 5:10 bare feet and 4:40 speed he will be a top slot guy like Cruz is with the Giants. 1ST round around 24-28

7. AMARI COOPER - Alabama - Now what do I hve against the favorite receiver of all the Jet fans and Mel Kiper. I have nothing against him. Did I watch him ths year. Yeah I watched him in at least 7 games. He is a good route runner and excellent hands

and ran a faster speed than I thought he was going to run. I thought he was a 4:5 and up guy but he ran a 4:42 which vaulted him ahead of Justin Hardy who I dropped down. There is no problem with Amari but he does play with better players who all are 4 to 5 star players.

None of the above receivers that I reviewed played with the hands down best TE in college and none played with two top RBS in college. Also the other two receivers he plays with on the other side of him were at the Combine. With all of this favoring him and with an adaquate

QB he had such an advantage over these other receivers. Against Ohio st. he should of been dominant sometimes going against the freshman

cornerback in Apple and vs Ole Miss again he went against a 5:9 corner in Golson. He is going to the NFL now and the playing field will be different.

I do like him and he is a first rounder. He is a 6:1 with cleates receiver who can run so I would have him in the 26-29 range.

THOSE ARE MY FIRST ROUNDERS

8. JUSTIN HARDY - East Carolina - Love this guy. He catches everything in traffic or outside. He reminds me

of a better Jericho Cotchery. I was going to drop him more than I did after seing his 40 time which was slow at 4:56 and at his size of

5:10.2 but I can't. He is that good. Every time I watched him he made the big catch and he is a possesion receiver so for that he is an easy real

early 2nd round receiver.

9. SAMMIE COATES - AUBURN - Love his size and speed. A half inch bigger than Amari and almost exactly the same

weight and speed. The difference is Amari is steady with his hands and Sammie sometimes loses focus and drops a ball that

could be a TD pass. That is why you are a early to mid 2nd rounder. It is inconsistency.

10. NELSON AGHOLAR - USC - What is he as a receiver. He is as steady as they come. Good hands and can

make you miss. He is slippery and makes big receptions. Slightly shorter in height and weight but remids you of Amari but less to fight

for the ball. He move up for me this year in rankings. Mid 2nd

11. BRESHARD PERRIMAN - Miami - Really wanted to see him at the combine but what I saw of him during the season

is a wonderful receiver with a sub par QB. Size wise at nearly 6:2 1/2 with 3/4 quatrer cleates he has really good size and he has

a mediun 4:5 forty. Another big time receiver who was hurt from not having a good QB. He is also a mid 2nd in my mind.

This one was a tough one. I had three receivers who I liked in Vince Mayle because of production and size, Stefon Diggs

who was a highly sought prospect and Deontay Greenberry who I loved all year but just fell out of the top 12. So I hanged my 12 to a receiver

who was highly touted and was really good when I did watch him before he got injured.My number

12. CHRIS CONLEY- Yes he was injured and I don't like picking players who didn't perform but I always like what I

saw last year and this year. The combine you saw why he was a rivals 3 star receiver. At 6:1 1/2 bare foot he has the size and at 4:35 speed

and his jumping ability he is to good not to select. He is a home run kind of receiver where he can take a 10 yard out and break a tackle

and he is gone. Late 2nd or real early 3rd.

Just misses is the three I mentioned and Phillip Dorsett and all tha speed. All 4 of these receivers should

go in the third round especially Greenberry who was a big time recruit who was the seventh best wr at rivals.com

Receivers who really dropped in this draft for me is Ty Montgomery who was not as fast as I thouht and had a

bad year, Josh Harper who did not show me anything when I watched him and Jamison Crowder who at 5:8 ran a 4:56 forty. I still think

he makes it as a 4th round pick.

Steady receivers who are mid round receivers Tony Lippet, Rashad Greene, Dres Anderson and Kenny Bell.

Receivers who are my sleepers who I like due to prodution is Titus Davis. He will probably go late but this guy is a big

time receiver. Other sleepers who no one talks about are Cam Worthy out of East Caroina who was overshadowed by Justin Hardy and Tre Mcbride of

division 1a William and Mary. Worthy I watch a lot and his size and hands are really worthy for a team no pun intended. Mcbride is

an athlete and he is one to watch at the draft. I like him a real lot between speed, hands, size and runs kickoffs and he could be

the Brian Westbrook kind of value but as a receiver.

note: Receiver who have an upside but was injured and came back but I lke him is Austin Hill. Another on to watch.

I appreciate the write up, I think it takes a ton of time to compile lists like this, and do research on the guys, so thanks for the effort.  

-However, I have a contention with Cooper being ranked so low.   His combine numbers are all but identical to Sammy Watkins from last year, same height, same weight, same speed.  Watkins had one inch higher in the vertical jump, and 6 inches higher in the broad jump.  But Cooper is .24 seconds faster in the 3 cone, and .36 faster in the 20 yard shuttle, both of which seem significant to me.   I think physically, he's every bit as identical to Watkins, and if we can get Watkins at the No. 6 pick this year, I think I would easily do it.   He plays against some very good defenses, and he really hasn't played with a good QB either.  AJ McCarron hasn't been anything, and fell like a rock, and Sims is basically a 6th round project, very similar to how Boyd was with Clemson.  In a way, I think the system actually holds him back at Alabama because they are a run heavy team, so teams can keep their free safety towards the best WR, and the have their corners play inside routes.   This was the same thing you see on tape with OBJ at LSU last year, and how his stats in the NFL are better than in college, because a run heavy team that doesn't spread out the defense quite as much can really hamper stats.  Kiffin opened up the offense much more and the stats show that he took a quantum leap this year.  

-I agree on Parker being high.  He has great game tape, gets very good separation, and can high point the ball, along with his size and speed.  

Player A:  6' 4"/ 211, 34 3/8 arm length, 9 1/4 hand size, 4.48 40 time, 18 Bench Press, 34 1/2 Vertical Jump, 1.55 10 yard Dash.

Parker:     6' 3"/209,  33 1/4 arm length, 9 1/4 hand size, 4.45 40 time, 17 Bench Press, 36 1/2 Vertical Jump, 1.56 10 yard Dash.  

Who is Player A?  AJ Green.   

I think the concern with Parker is really his injury history (which if I'm not mistaken was a concern with Green too, although I could be wrong) but they play very similarly.  Both have speed, size, change of directions (although Parker didn't partake in the shuttles at the combine, so I guess we may have to wait for the Pro day on that one) and production on the field.  

-I'm not sure what to think of on White.  To me his game tape doesn't match his combine results.  On all the dedicated tapes, I see him struggling to beat man coverage down the field, and he seems to take a bunch of short throws in the spread system.   I found it odd that he got shut down randomly this year by teams that weren't that great on pass defense.   And the Texas game stats seem like a mirage, a bunch of screens and curl routes against zone.   The system is also notorious for getting big time stats out of guys, alas Steadman Bailey a couple of years ago.  Of the top 3 mentioned here, I would be hoping that White is the one the Raiders fall in love with, because I think he's very risky.  I have him much closer to Strong than Cooper/Parker.   

- Jaelen Strong is someone I need to watch more of, but I see him more as a possession guy, a good No. 2 WR than a true No. 1 type.   I see him very similar to Jordan Mathews from last year, a guy who will make the catches for you in traffic, is reliable and can get some yards after the catch.  But I don't see No. 1 WR potential from him, and to pick a WR in the first round I think the guy has to have that potential.  I think the most telling tape on him is the Utah game this year (admittedly, it was the game Kelly came back in, so there are some timing issues) but you don't really seem him separate much at all from the CBs.  Utah was I think the highest rated pass defense he faced this year (average on the national scale), and they had him pretty well covered.  His first big catch is really just a bad play even though it's a catch and a large gain.  He beats the defender to the inside on a deep post route, but instead of going straight or even slanting to the right, he fades back to the outside, which gives the his now trailing CB a perfect angle at the ball.  I have no idea how the guy didn't intercept the ball, went right by his hands.  His TD catch is a nice one, hand caught, and gets both feet in bounds.  But then his only other big contribution is one where he plucks it at it's high point right away from a defender's hands.  Beautiful catch, but it's one on one coverage and he didn't have separation at all.  It's a perfect throw and catch. but I don't like how he doesn't seem to get much separation on these routes.  I'd be fine with him in the second, but I think his ceiling is too limited for the first.  His floor is high though, much like Mathews last year.  

- DGB, I agree, talent great, it's the outside factors that you have to sort through.  I also don't buy too much into the combine BS about how a guy has turned around for sure, has seen the light, and going to be mature now news that you hear every year.  These guys have millions on the line, most of them would be wise to hire PR firms that tell them exactly what to say, what not to say, how to say, etc.  This time last year, I think the whole message was how mature Manziel seemed to be, how he was impressing people with his football knowledge, and how much of a football junkie he was.  

-I like Devin Smith, he seems to be a DeSean Jackson clone, great speed, good hands.  I wouldn't mind him in the second round.  

-I like Nelson Agolohor as well, another one that would be pretty good in the second round.  I think Strong/Smith/Agolohor are good reasons to trade down from the 6 spot, grab a position of need in the first, and then possibly use two second round picks on WRs.  

Anyway, nice writeup, should be interesting how things break down as the draft season goes on.  I wish the draft was sooner, do we really need to stretch it out until May?  

Good write-up Wizzinator. It'll be interesting to see if that many WRs go in R1. I said somewhere that teams that didn't strike gold in last year's WR draft, will probably want to this year in some capacity. Copycat league and all.

Great effort. But it seems like someone is trying to get cute for the sake of being different.

Fact: the order in which these WRs get drafted will never align to the order that Kiper and McShay put them in.

Fact: it takes more effort to come up with your own order, rather than take theirs and change 5% of it and call it your own.

Fact: if you ask for the whole can of soda on a flight, they'll usually give it to you.

Fact: the order in which these WRs get drafted will never align to the order that Kiper and McShay put them in.

Fact: it takes more effort to come up with your own order, rather than take theirs and change 5% of it and call it your own.

Fact: if you ask for the whole can of soda on a flight, they'll usually give it to you.

It aligned perfectly last year. The order usually isn't hard, their actual success profile in the league is the challenge.

And I can throw a list of names together in whatever fancy order I want rather effortlessly.

It aligned perfectly last year. The order usually isn't hard, their actual success profile in the league is the challenge.

And I can throw a list of names together in whatever fancy order I want rather effortlessly.

My interpretation of this thread is that the author was sort of going for stacking it that way. Less about predicting the order, more about predicting who will end up being best.

I appreciate the write up, I think it takes a ton of time to compile lists like this, and do research on the guys, so thanks for the effort.  

-However, I have a contention with Cooper being ranked so low.   His combine numbers are all but identical to Sammy Watkins from last year, same height, same weight, same speed.  Watkins had one inch higher in the vertical jump, and 6 inches higher in the broad jump.  But Cooper is .24 seconds faster in the 3 cone, and .36 faster in the 20 yard shuttle, both of which seem significant to me.   I think physically, he's every bit as identical to Watkins, and if we can get Watkins at the No. 6 pick this year, I think I would easily do it.   He plays against some very good defenses, and he really hasn't played with a good QB either.  AJ McCarron hasn't been anything, and fell like a rock, and Sims is basically a 6th round project, very similar to how Boyd was with Clemson.  In a way, I think the system actually holds him back at Alabama because they are a run heavy team, so teams can keep their free safety towards the best WR, and the have their corners play inside routes.   This was the same thing you see on tape with OBJ at LSU last year, and how his stats in the NFL are better than in college, because a run heavy team that doesn't spread out the defense quite as much can really hamper stats.  Kiffin opened up the offense much more and the stats show that he took a quantum leap this year.  

-I agree on Parker being high.  He has great game tape, gets very good separation, and can high point the ball, along with his size and speed.  

Player A:  6' 4"/ 211, 34 3/8 arm length, 9 1/4 hand size, 4.48 40 time, 18 Bench Press, 34 1/2 Vertical Jump, 1.55 10 yard Dash.

Parker:     6' 3"/209,  33 1/4 arm length, 9 1/4 hand size, 4.45 40 time, 17 Bench Press, 36 1/2 Vertical Jump, 1.56 10 yard Dash.  

Who is Player A?  AJ Green.   

I think the concern with Parker is really his injury history (which if I'm not mistaken was a concern with Green too, although I could be wrong) but they play very similarly.  Both have speed, size, change of directions (although Parker didn't partake in the shuttles at the combine, so I guess we may have to wait for the Pro day on that one) and production on the field.  

-I'm not sure what to think of on White.  To me his game tape doesn't match his combine results.  On all the dedicated tapes, I see him struggling to beat man coverage down the field, and he seems to take a bunch of short throws in the spread system.   I found it odd that he got shut down randomly this year by teams that weren't that great on pass defense.   And the Texas game stats seem like a mirage, a bunch of screens and curl routes against zone.   The system is also notorious for getting big time stats out of guys, alas Steadman Bailey a couple of years ago.  Of the top 3 mentioned here, I would be hoping that White is the one the Raiders fall in love with, because I think he's very risky.  I have him much closer to Strong than Cooper/Parker.   

- Jaelen Strong is someone I need to watch more of, but I see him more as a possession guy, a good No. 2 WR than a true No. 1 type.   I see him very similar to Jordan Mathews from last year, a guy who will make the catches for you in traffic, is reliable and can get some yards after the catch.  But I don't see No. 1 WR potential from him, and to pick a WR in the first round I think the guy has to have that potential.  I think the most telling tape on him is the Utah game this year (admittedly, it was the game Kelly came back in, so there are some timing issues) but you don't really seem him separate much at all from the CBs.  Utah was I think the highest rated pass defense he faced this year (average on the national scale), and they had him pretty well covered.  His first big catch is really just a bad play even though it's a catch and a large gain.  He beats the defender to the inside on a deep post route, but instead of going straight or even slanting to the right, he fades back to the outside, which gives the his now trailing CB a perfect angle at the ball.  I have no idea how the guy didn't intercept the ball, went right by his hands.  His TD catch is a nice one, hand caught, and gets both feet in bounds.  But then his only other big contribution is one where he plucks it at it's high point right away from a defender's hands.  Beautiful catch, but it's one on one coverage and he didn't have separation at all.  It's a perfect throw and catch. but I don't like how he doesn't seem to get much separation on these routes.  I'd be fine with him in the second, but I think his ceiling is too limited for the first.  His floor is high though, much like Mathews last year.  

- DGB, I agree, talent great, it's the outside factors that you have to sort through.  I also don't buy too much into the combine BS about how a guy has turned around for sure, has seen the light, and going to be mature now news that you hear every year.  These guys have millions on the line, most of them would be wise to hire PR firms that tell them exactly what to say, what not to say, how to say, etc.  This time last year, I think the whole message was how mature Manziel seemed to be, how he was impressing people with his football knowledge, and how much of a football junkie he was.  

-I like Devin Smith, he seems to be a DeSean Jackson clone, great speed, good hands.  I wouldn't mind him in the second round.  

-I like Nelson Agolohor as well, another one that would be pretty good in the second round.  I think Strong/Smith/Agolohor are good reasons to trade down from the 6 spot, grab a position of need in the first, and then possibly use two second round picks on WRs.  

Anyway, nice writeup, should be interesting how things break down as the draft season goes on.  I wish the draft was sooner, do we really need to stretch it out until May?

It is good reading someone's observations. You do agree with me on White and still can't figure him out. He does have a high ceiling though if he gets a good receiver coach. Also by far the best receiver in this draft like I said is

DGB talent wise and I do see Smith being another Smith in a bigger Steve Smith or a Desean Jackson. I really like watching Strong this year and he plays way bigger than he is. I feel he is a definite number 1 and Cooper is also but they are two different receivers. I see Cooper more of a Reggie Wayne where he runs great routes and have good hands with a little more speed and I see Strong as a Fitzgerald type with big hands and fighting for every possession. In Parker I watched for two years and the injury stuff does bother me but his talent is tremendous.

American Airlines is the worst ever and they will openly admit it.

United...will never fly them again.  Prefer the drive to Newark over the 20 minute drive to Philly when going to England to avoid them.

Oh...and good job on the write-up Tony.

United...will never fly them again. Prefer the drive to Newark over the 20 minute drive to Philly when going to England to avoid them.

Oh...and good job on the write-up Tony.

United customer service is horrific. I learned my lesson last month. All the other domestic carriers and even discount airlines have better service

Thanks for the write up, i'll be looking for a lot of what you said when I watch film this week.  I really disagree on Cooper but to each his own...his fluidity and route running isn't getting enough respect imo.  He simply doesn't waste any movement.

I 100% agree on White.  He just disappears and I personally want to avoid him.

United customer service is horrific. I learned my lesson last month. All the other domestic carriers and even discount airlines have better service

Virgin Atlantic...never flown anyone who comes close.

Virgin Atlantic...never flown anyone who comes close.

That is the only recommended carrier?  I used to love Swiss Air.  All the beer you can drink and they are actually on time and get you to your connections.  Plus, Zurich is better than most of those stopovers.  My job is probably going to involve domestic travel to sh*tty locations stateside..  I don't have to pay for it, but I have to book.  Any recommendations appreciated.   Thanks for the write-up not Tony Pauline!

That is the only recommended carrier?  I used to love Swiss Air.  All the beer you can drink and they are actually on time and get you to your connections.  Plus, Zurich is better than most of those stopovers.  My job is probably going to involve domestic travel to sh*tty locations stateside..  I don't have to pay for it, but I have to book.  Any recommendations appreciated.   Thanks for the write-up not Tony Pauline!

use NetJet mon

Sorry if my typing on internet explorer doesn't pick up some letters. His first name is Jaelen but who really cares but it is post like yours that you should not even be a football fan since you just want to make fun of people. Like I said before there will be jokesters and you one of them.

that guy Hess is a dirtbag and all around snide little prick. Pay him no mind

Archived