During Combine, Bowles Hints at O-line Retooling

JetNation

I think RG is a bigger problem them RT.  Colon was fairly bad, a penalty machine, old, injury prone and is a free agent.  Right now, they don't have much under contract.  Breno, Brick, Mangold, Winters, Dozier, Aboushi and Dalton Freeman.  They also have Qvale (UDFA T from Nebraska spent 2014 on the PS), Sean Hooey (injury prone UDFA T from Cincinnati spent 2013 on the Rams PS and 2014 on the street) and Wesley Johnson (T/G/C prospect from Vanderbilt 2014 5th rounder of the Steelers picked up off waivers in October).  These names do not inspire confidence.  I would imagine that they will sign at least one borderline starter at both G and T.  If you think tackle is a bigger problem than G, then you are prepared to go with Aboushi and Winters because Dozier is a complete unknown.   

I believe the entire right side needs to be replaced. I am a little biased as I loved the dozier pick in the 4th. I have a strong feeling that he will be a fine guard, just not ready yet. as far as oboushi goes, he really impressed me last year considering how inept he looked, pre season mind you, in his rookie year. I kinda think he takes that next step. a quality starter at right tackle is a must, but I think we could get away with a quality, older vet on a 1 year deal at the right guard position and see if dozier is ready later this year or the start of next. just what I think

fwiw, I called the dozier pick. one of my younger sons took a more intense interest in the draft this year. just before the pick he asked me who I wanted and who I think the jets would take. I rattled off a coupla names of interested and then told them if the jets were smart, they would take dozier. after the jets picked, he looked at me funny, grabbed the remote and checked to see if the dvr was set.lol

Archived