Winter Storm Tupac

Jetsfan80

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-mayor-of-atlanta-is-still-trying-to-make-winter-storm-tupac-happen/

The Mayor of Atlanta Is Still Trying to Make Winter Storm Tupac Happen

tupac_car-e1424887239482.jpg?w=750

This morning, Grantland published a post arguing about who is that rapper right now — “the one,” as some would call the figurative title-belt holder.

I picked J. Cole, because he’s the most interesting major rapper to me, at least right now. But that was a mistake. No, nothing has changed concerning my feelings toward Cole. It’s just that I forgot my real answer: the mayor of Atlanta, Kasim Reed.

screenshot-2015-02-25-12-27-14.png?w=694

The city he governs is preparing for a winter storm, and at 11 a.m. ET he spoke to his constituency, one that I can assure you is frantically buying enough supplies at Publix to last the next six election cycles. This year’s precautions seem to be especially delicate after last year’s storm, which brought the city to a standstill.

You would think his statement about this year’s storm would be important. But it wasn’t. Not even close.

“The. Tupac. Storm.”

We knew about Leon. Because it was called Winter Storm Leon.

But Tupac? 

STORM TUPAC?

WINTER STORM TUPAC? 

That wasn’t the real name of that winter storm, Kasim. But I couldn’t be more pleased that you don’t care about such rules and are trying to make “Storm Tupac” happen anyway.

When you watch the clip for a 38th time, pay attention to how my man Kasim approaches the mic. Only the greatest rapper of his generation has the confidence to walk up, address the public in a time of distress and say, without flinching, “the Tupac storm and the other storm,” “other storm” representing Leon, the one we knew about — the one that wasn’t SUR’EASTER TUPAC.

But he’s not done.

After being reminded of the name of the “other storm,” he says, “Tupac and Leon.”

Atlanta’s two winter storms were called Tupac and Leon.

What a time to be alive, for Tupac and Leon. It sounds like the original UPN pitch for Malcolm & Eddie, until they realized “Malcolm” and “Eddie” got the point across just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Further research reveals:

Note to Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed: It Was Winter Storm Pax, Not Winter Storm Tupac
Sean Breslin
Published: February 26, 2015

UPDATE: The mayor's office declined to comment on this story, but reiterated that Reed meant for his references to be taken as a joke.

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed had no problem remembering the name of one winter storm – Winter Storm Leon – that crippled the South last year. It's what he called the other big Southern winter storm of 2014 that has people giggling.

In a news conference Wednesday, Reed referred to a winter storm that hit the city in February 2014 as "Tupac," as in Tupac Shakur, the West Coast rapper who died in 1996.

"That wasn’t the real name of that winter storm, Kasim," writes Rembert Browne of Grantland.com. "But I couldn’t be more pleased that you don’t care about such rules and are trying to make 'Storm Tupac' happen anyway."

The name of the storm – according to The Weather Channel, which selects the names – was Pax. The storm left more than a foot of snow in parts of the South before moving into New England and dumping even bigger snow totals.

Atlanta famously shut down during Leon, when heavy snow turned to ice on roadways, and a panicked city was stranded for hours on the highways. Thousands of residents were forced to spend the night in the aisles of local stores or even strangers' homes.

The same didn't happen during Winter Storm Pax, which may be the reason why Reed feels comfortable naming it after the late rapper.

Regardless, it gives us a few ideas for next year's list of winter storm names.

http://www.wunderground.com/news/kasim-reed-winter-storm-tupac

Archived