Hypothetical Trade

KRL

Based on the below tweet:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 14 hours ago  

Considering how much competition #Redskins had for @Freakyjean99, it bodes well
for Suh, Fairley & Pot Roast.  Few DTs, so many teams need em

And the fact that Damon Harrison is a restricted free agent.  I wonder if we put
a second round tender on him will another team offer him a deal?  If so would you
deal "Snacks" for a 2nd rounder and sign Dan Williams who was the NT in ARZ while
Bowles was there: 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13235/dan-williams

I think I would make that deal because as much as I love Harrison's story I wonder
if he'll ever take that next step and become a Kris Jenkins type of NT

The question is what kind of deal would harrison sign? If a team is giving up a 2nd they will want to pay him less and why would he sign for less rather than play for the 2 mil this year and hit FA next year.   As a Patriot fan I would give a 2nd if he would sign for 3 years and 12 mill.

The question is what kind of deal would harrison sign? If a team is giving up a 2nd they will want to pay him less and why would he sign for less rather than play for the 2 mil this year and hit FA next year.   As a Patriot fan I would give a 2nd if he would sign for 3 years and 12 mill.

+1

How good/bad this trade would be depends on the contracts that Harrison and Williams would be getting. Harrison is a guy I would like to lock up, but who knows how much he wants?  They are going to probably lose Ellis in FA and even if they sign him back, Ellis seems way to injury prone to count on. TJ Barnes is still an unknown commodity, though he has shown some life and I don't want to move Richardson inside.

No I would not make that deal.  If you have good players, especially ones that will not break the bank, keep them.  Do not make holes that you will then have to fill.  I guess it all depends on what the team thinks of Williams but I think we are letting Ellis walk.

I would make that trade, as much as I like Snacks if Bowles feels that Williams would fit then I would be happy to make the trade.

I don't know if we could get a 2nd for Snacks, do you think he is worth a 2nd or a 3rd.

Snacks is worth a 2nd. I dont know much about Williams though but Bowles would. If he decided to make that deal it has to be because he feels that he would get more value out of Williams and another 2nd rounder. Maybe you also find a way to resign Kendrick Ellis since we're not shelling out alot of cash for Snacks. 

I like Snacks, but if I was able to get a guy that was just below his production but also a 2nd rounder I'd take it given the amount of depth we have on the line and the lack of talent everywhere else. 

I think there are a lot of DTs in the top of the draft this year, maybe four or five even.  Not sure this is the best year to get value on a young DT as a RFA.  I like Snacks.  The line has good chemistry.  I don't see enough of an upgrade here to mess with it.

Another Hypothetical trade. I heard this one this morning on a podcast. 

What if the Jets traded Mo Wilkerson and their #6 pick straight up to Tampa for their #1 Pick in order to draft Jameis Winston? 

Hell no. Our best defensive player and our pick for a QB that has some off field troubles?  I would do it for a Luck type which i know is very rare.  

What if the Jets traded Mo Wilkerson and their #6 pick straight up to Tampa for their #1 Pick in order to draft Jameis Winston? 

Would do this without blinking an eye...Tampa's on the phone - ask's for this deal - Yes, Absolutely. DONE!!!

That  is not enough, Tampa could just sign a FA DT if there are going to have to pay Wilk 11-12 mill a year. A guy in his last year, is not worth as much.

No I would not make that deal.  If you have good players, especially ones that will not break the bank, keep them.  Do not make holes that you will then have to fill.  I guess it all depends on what the team thinks of Williams but I think we are letting Ellis walk.

I could see the pats signing him for a 2nd, if he is willing to come in a 3 and 12. and with a poison pill saying he will be the highest paid DLineman on the team.

Would do this without blinking an eye...Tampa's on the phone - ask's for this deal - Yes, Absolutely. DONE!!!

Without blinking an eye?  So this could be Wilkerson and maybe Cooper for Winston?  U really think Winston is that good?  Big Ben material?

Wow I had a lot of questions for you.

I am not sold on Winston, but I don't see Tampa not taking a QB. If they made a move like that I would prefer it be for our 2nd and MO.

Hell no. Our best defensive player and our pick for a QB that has some off field troubles?  I would do it for a Luck type which i know is very rare.  

That  is not enough, Tampa could just sign a FA DT if there are going to have to pay Wilk 11-12 mill a year. A guy in his last year, is not worth as much.

I could see the pats signing him for a 2nd, if he is willing to come in a 3 and 12. and with a poison pill saying he will be the highest paid DLineman on the team.

Without blinking an eye?  So this could be Wilkerson and maybe Cooper for Winston?  U really think Winston is that good?  Big Ben material?

I have to agree with FidellioJet. I'd make this trade for sure. I'd draft Winston and replace Wilkerson with Coples and IK. 

Makes sense in theory but it's not gonna happen, there's plenty of other options out there. If the Redskins need a NT they could just go ahead and sign Dan Williams. Or even Kenrick Ellis. Speaking of Kris Jenkins, Ellis could be that kind of player if he ever manages to stay healthy. Snacks is a fantastic run stopper, but he's just a 2 down player. Teams don't give up 2nd round picks for those types.

I think you need a QB to win in this league...and if there's one there that has, by most accounts, the skill set, intelligence and leadership skills to be a legitimate franchise QB I would give up the entire draft for him.  And I would do that and not look back.

If he fails - you move on...Cause I'll tell you what - with Cooper, Mo and anyone else you're going to draft - you're not winning a championship without a QB.

see above ...

Again, you're not calling the shots, your job is not on the line. Put yourself in Macc's position and then think about what you said. That trade could go either way, either it's the best move this franchise has made in decades or it's the worst move this franchise has ever made and throws us back like a decade. If you're in Macc's position and you don't have to think twice whether to make this trade or not then you're either absolutely clueless or you have the biggest balls in NFL history. I'm not saying making this trade is stupid (or smart), it's a HUGE risk. At the very least you think about it long and hard and go through every scenario and whatnot to make sure you make the right decision.

Again, you're not calling the shots, your job is not on the line. Put yourself in Macc's position and then think about what you said. That trade could go either way, either it's the best move this franchise has made in decades or it's the worst move this franchise has ever made and throws us back like a decade. If you're in Macc's position and you don't have to think twice whether to make this trade or not then you're either absolutely clueless or you have the biggest balls in NFL history. I'm not saying making this trade is stupid (or smart), it's a HUGE risk. At the very least you think about it long and hard and go through every scenario and whatnot to make sure you make the right decision.

Dude, its a hypothetical. 

I think you need a QB to win in this league...and if there's one there that has, by most accounts, the skill set, intelligence and leadership skills to be a legitimate franchise QB I would give up the entire draft for him.  And I would do that and not look back.

If he fails - you move on...Cause I'll tell you what - with Cooper, Mo and anyone else you're going to draft - you're not winning a championship without a QB.

You wouldn't move on you would be fired.  I agree with you only if for sure the team really thinks he is the guy.  I've seen too many teams talk themsleves into high pick 1st round QB's the last few years and regret it a great deal.  You are not quite as hamstrung by the dollars as you once were but you are still committing for multiple years.  Make this move this year?  forget going after another QB for 4 or 5 years.  You better be right.

You wouldn't move on you would be fired.  I agree with you only if for sure the team really thinks he is the guy.  I've seen too many teams talk themsleves into high pick 1st round QB's the last few years and regret it a great deal.  You are not quite as hamstrung by the dollars as you once were but you are still committing for multiple years.  Make this move this year?  forget going after another QB for 4 or 5 years.  You better be right.

I don't disagree - you have to like him and that you have to be right or you've lost another 4-5 years - But I have to ask the question, what do you do without a franchise QB?  If you don't get one you're rebuilding again in 4-5 years.

QB's are a crap shoot, but you have to keep taking the chance until you hit.  It's an unfortunate function of Goodell's NFL.  You do your research and if you think he CAN be (not sure he will be) a legitimate franchise QB you do what you can to get him.  

The reality is, in most cases, HC's/GM's get one QB...if they find a good one they're there for the long haul if they don't find one (or miss) they're out in four years. 

No one's ass is on the line on this board - every opinion we give is hypothetical.  but to be clear - if my ass was on the line as a GM of the NYJ - I make the move without thinking twice about it.

No one's ass is on the line on this board - every opinion we give is hypothetical.  but to be clear - if my ass was on the line as a GM of the NYJ - I make the move without thinking twice about it.

Does thinking hurt you or why do you rather not do it? Especially when it comes to a major move like that.

Does thinking hurt you or why do you rather not do it? Especially when it comes to a major move like that.

Maybe its not as major to others as it is to you given that its a hypothetical. I think everyone here would agree that they would think more on it if it was actually legit. On Jetnation however, im not expecting someone to finally answer the question 2 months from now with an hour left before the draft starts. 

Maybe its not a major to others as it is to you given that its a hypothetical. I think everyone here would agree that they would think more on it if it was actually legit. On Jetnation however, im not expecting someone to finally answer the question 2 months from now with an hour left before the draft starts. 

Thank you.

When I say I would do it in a blink of an eye - it's not meant to be literal it's just that a potential franchise QB vs. a solid D-linemen is a no brainer to me.

Of course you would have to do research on the player.

Archived