Darnell Dockett released by Cardinals - ESPN

Jetlife33

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Darnell Dockett's 11-year run with the Arizona Cardinals ended Friday when the team released him.

More from ESPN.com

weinfuss_josh_m.jpgDarnell Dockett, released by the Cardinals, will find out if others think he's worth what he does in the next few weeks, writes Josh Weinfuss. Story

The 33-year-old defensive tackle was entering the final year of his contract. His release saves the Cardinals $6.8 million in cap space with free agency starting in less than two weeks. He was scheduled to earn $6.8 million this season with a $9.8 million cap hit.

"We have been very clear about our feelings for Darnell and our desire to have him back," Cardinals general manager Steve Keim said in a statement Friday. "After speaking with him and his representatives, we decided that this move today makes the most sense for both the team and the player and allows each to keep all of its options open."

Dockett missed all of the 2014 season after tearing his ACL during training camp last August. He played in 158 games as a Cardinal, amassing 462 tackles, 41 sacks and four interceptions since getting drafted in the third round of the 2004 draft and was a three-time Pro Bowler selection.

During his rehabilitation, Dockett has used Twitter as a means to update his progress, tweeting five days ago that he's predicting he'll be named the NFL's comeback player of the year.

Dockett turns 34 in May, but the inability to work out a new deal suggests Dockett likes his chances of landing a better contract than the Cards were offering once on the open market. If he can’t, Darren Urban of the team’s website reports that the Cardinals remain interested in a Dockett return at a lower price tag.

-pro football talk

I would have no problem signing him as a key reserve. However he may still think he's a starter which I have no problem with. I would do a one year $3.5 mil to add him in our interior rotation. Good guy to have in the locker room and even better on the field.

Wouldn't mind adding him to the team, just has to be at the right price. 

Because this one is a veteran former all-pro that knows the system. As a rotational guy and leader, Dockett makes a ton of sense.

There is no way in hell he's accepting a rotational role, that's why he got cut in the first place. Because the Cards weren't willing to pay him starter money and a starting job. Well, starting job maybe, but they wouldn't compensate him the way he feels like he should be compensated. So he's not gonna come in here as a backup unless you overpay him and that just makes no sense whatsoever. Although I think he'd be a terrific fit in terms of chemistry and stuff like that. Bowles probably likes him and I'm sure he'd fit in perfectly with guys like Sheldon, Mo, Q etc. but other than that...I don't see it.

There is no way in hell he's accepting a rotational role, that's why he got cut in the first place. Because the Cards weren't willing to pay him starter money and a starting job. Well, starting job maybe, but they wouldn't compensate him the way he feels like he should be compensated. So he's not gonna come in here as a backup unless you overpay him and that just makes no sense whatsoever. Although I think he'd be a terrific fit in terms of chemistry and stuff like that. Bowles probably likes him and I'm sure he'd fit in perfectly with guys like Sheldon, Mo, Q etc. but other than that...I don't see it.

I doubt he finds anyone to pay him starter's money. If he does, good for him, but I expect a cold, initial market for him while he comes to accept his role has changed at this point in his career.

Quietly one of the best players in the NFL over the last decade. If Bowles thought he could help, do it. The 2010 season the Jets had a lot of older Vets contributing (Trevor Pryce and Jason Taylor). Depth is a good thing.

Wonder if he wants starter money?

Quietly one of the best players in the NFL over the last decade. If Bowles thought he could help, do it. The 2010 season the Jets had a lot of older Vets contributing (Trevor Pryce and Jason Taylor). Depth is a good thing.

The "comeback player of the year" comment would suggest that.

I would take him for depth, but sounds like he wants to be a starter and I'd rather spend the money on Snacks. Would be nice to bring back Douzable and Ellis as well.

A Dline rotation of Mo, Sheldon, Q, Snacks, Ellis, Douzable would be great (basically the same as last year but rotate Q on the line for majority of his snaps).

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Depth and the right type of veteran leadership is a good thing 2009 and 2010 proved that here.

No offense, because so many posters do this... but why in the **** do people think this needs to be said all the time?

Because in this case I think it does. If he rejected that much money from ARI and is seeking more I don't think its worth it. At the right price however id bring him in. I'm basically saying I don't think he's worth overpaying for, which some guys are.

I would take him for depth, but sounds like he wants to be a starter and I'd rather spend the money on Snacks. Would be nice to bring back Douzable and Ellis as well.

A Dline rotation of Mo, Sheldon, Q, Snacks, Ellis, Douzable would be great (basically the same as last year but rotate Q on the line for majority of his snaps).

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I would keep douzable as well. cheap, productive, rotational guy

jeez. some people dont think before they type

Dockett is one of the dumbest players in the league - if you're gonna judge him by his tweets. Maybe he does it just to get attention, maybe he's just that stupid. Who knows. But he's known for posting absolutey stupid things on twitter.

No offense, because so many posters do this... but why in the **** do people think this needs to be said all the time?

because theres other FA's you'd be ok overpaying for to make sure you get them.. At the right price is essentially a lukewarm level of interest

because theres other FA's you'd be ok overpaying for to make sure you get them.. At the right price is essentially a lukewarm level of interest

On could argue that "at the right price" is also applicable to a "pay whatever it takes to get this guy" scenario.

Personally, I think it's foolish to say. Nobody here, except maybe Jason OTC, has deep insight into market value as it relates to our current cap situation. Dockett makes sense the way Leonard made sense for Rex. That makes him maybe more valuable to us than other teams. So, wtf is "the right price" for a great player, who is better for our situation than he is for every other team's situation?

This is like buying the exact make, model, mileage, wear and tear, function and form of a vehicle for your family at a price that your comfortable with and that made it happen... and then having your dopey uncle tell you that you paid too much, despite the fact that he's never owned a car or had a family to travel with.

Archived