Trade up

Joe Jets fan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then they don't know as much as you think.

You don't draft a project in the top ten. And you especially don't move up in the top ten to select one.

This is where I land. Swinging and missing at a QB this early usually sets your franchise back years. If not for having a top 5 defense in 9/10/11, this team would've topped out at 6 wins during Sanchez's reign of suckage.

Gimme a safe bet like Cooper and take a project QB in rd 2 or 3

Everyone that does not want Mariota please state who you want as the starting QB of the nyj for the next few years. What do you think is a better answer. Because nothing else matters if your QB sucks.

Don't have a name for you. But the answer is the winner of the QB competition in camp between Geno, whatever journeyman QB the Jets sign in the offseason, plus the mIddle-round QB they should draft.

Don't have a name for you. But the answer is the winner of the QB competition in camp between Geno, whatever journeyman QB the Jets sign in the offseason, plus the mIddle-round QB they should draft.

Then the QB will suck and there for the Jets will suck. Nothing matters if the QB sucks. It's a passing league now.

If it's a potential franchise QB you do.

You take sure things in the top ten, and throw darts at a board later.

If you're going to take a spread QB who needs to learn the fundamentals of the position, then take Bryce Petty in round 3. This way if he fails to develop, he isn't a bag of bricks weighing down your franchise for years.

Everyone that does not want Mariota please state who you want as the starting QB of the nyj for the next few years. What do you think is a better answer. Because nothing else matters if your QB sucks.

Bring in Fitz if/when he's released. Let him and Geno battle it out in camp. Draft Bryce Petty in round 2-3, and let him learn.

Draft another QB next year. Keep doing it until you find one.

The only thing worse than taking Mariota would be trading up to take Mariota.

Exactly. If he's still there at 6 and we can't work some sort of deal to either land Foles or a bunch of draft picks it's a huge fail for our rookie GM.

If he's gone there's nothing we can do, but if we pass on him and let one of the other teams in the top 10 trade with Kelly, that's unacceptable.

And mariota is going to suck in the nfl unless he plays for chip Kelly so what?

He's Colin kaepernick but a worse passer. Odds are he won't have as good a coach as Jim Harbaugh handling him

If you're going to take a spread QB who needs to learn the fundamentals of the position, then take Bryce Petty in round 3. This way if he fails to develop, he isn't a bag of bricks weighing down your franchise for years.

This.  In fact the only thing worse than drafting a bust like Mark Sanchez with a high pick, is drafting a good but not great QB.   Then you are stuck with the guy for decades and you never have a chance of winning a superbowl.  

The fact of the matter is there are only about ~ 8 or 9 qbs at any one time in the league that are even capable of bringing a team to the superbowl, much less winning one.  You just don't see Trent Dilfer taking his team to the SB in this day and age.

Mariota and Winston are probably not quite good enough to get into that list from a talent standpoint, even with a number of years of blood/sweat and effort.  So why bother?  I prefer to suck for 6 or 7 years and then have a truly great team that comes out of it (alla Seattle) than to be an average team with a few playoff wins but a lot of losses.

The win now mentality is ultimately self defeating.

Nobody really knows what kind of NFL QB MM is going to be. If the Jets do take Mariota at #6 it at least gives the franchise hope - something we haven't had since 2011. I like the new HC, I like the new GM, but it's really tough to get excited about 2017 in Feb '15.

If we draft Mariota, I'll be forced into the same "cautious optimism" mode that I was thrown into when we drafted Sanchez and Geno. I liked neither. I'm sick of every year the Jets decide it's time to go get our franchise QB being a year with a sh*t QB class. Enough. Get a stop-gap to compete with Geno and draft a QB in the first round when one is actually worth taking in the first round.

Clownshoes when you say things like this with such certainty. Sure you can turn out to be right, but before the fact you sound dumb.

A team with a bunch of pro scouts once drafted Blaine Gabbert. Another one drafted Christian Ponder. Yet another drafted Akili Smith.

To those that don't want to move up for a qb, you have to move if the organization believes he can become a top 12 qb in the NFL.  The cost to move from where you will draft next year at 6-10 to 8-8 to the the top 3 will be prohibitive in the cost of choices, and if you miss, you're set back years.  If you don't think Marriotta will be a top 12 qb you don't take him at 6 but get a guy that has the better chance to be a top performer at that position.  

But then again, I think the jets should ride the Geno wagon next year, Bowles has a honeymoon, Let's see what Gailey can do with him with a better weapons and a better oline. If he sucks, The jets draft high again and pick up a QB in what looks like a better 2016 draft class.

A team with a bunch of pro scouts once drafted Blaine Gabbert. Another one drafted Christian Ponder. Yet another drafted Akili Smith.

A team of Ukrainian scientists once caused a meltdown and destroyed a place called Chernobyl, that doesn't mean you know more about ******* fission than they do. (not you, Thomas, the general you)

A team of Ukrainian scientists once caused a meltdown and destroyed a place called Chernobyl, that doesn't mean you know more about ******* fission than they do. (not you, Thomas, the general you)

What exactly is the point of a message board then? So, we can all not express our opinions and agree with everything front offices believe?

What exactly is the point of a message board then? So, we can all not express our opinions and agree with everything front offices believe?

No, but when you say something like, "If you make move A, then you don't know anything about football, even though you've been employed in professional football for twenty years, and I've been managing an ice cream store.", it sounds ignorant, arrogant and dumb. And when it's twenty such guys that are high on player A, it's absolutely ridiculous and rightly ridiculed. You may turn out to be right but it's not because GM X doesn't know about football and you do.

First of all, LOL at sure things.

You are ALWAYS throwing darts at a board in the draft; it's not buying a car. The only difference between the 1st and subsequent rounds is that the board is bigger and gets progressively smaller.

This.  In fact the only thing worse than drafting a bust like Mark Sanchez with a high pick, is drafting a good but not great QB.   Then you are stuck with the guy for decades and you never have a chance of winning a superbowl.  

The fact of the matter is there are only about ~ 8 or 9 qbs at any one time in the league that are even capable of bringing a team to the superbowl, much less winning one.  You just don't see Trent Dilfer taking his team to the SB in this day and age.

Mariota and Winston are probably not quite good enough to get into that list from a talent standpoint, even with a number of years of blood/sweat and effort.  So why bother?  I prefer to suck for 6 or 7 years and then have a truly great team that comes out of it (alla Seattle) than to be an average team with a few playoff wins but a lot of losses.

The win now mentality is ultimately self defeating.

This is what got Idzik fired.  He was trying to build a team for the future (note the huge cap space) but it seems most Jet fans would prefer to win 9-10  games and lose in the WC round of the playoffs.

Just like everyone (and it's most of this board) advocating passing on a potential franchise QB because he's not a sure thing.  These are the people that are okay being a 9-10 win team...Because that's the best you're gonna do with whatever journeymen QB we'll have starting.  I would rather take a shot on a potential franchise QB and be in a position to compete for a championship - year in and year out - for a decade.  Than losing a WC round game once every 3 or 4 years.

you have to KEEP taking QB's until you find one.  Yes, if you miss (and there's a good chance you will) you start over again in three years and take another one.  I don't love the way the league is but it's the reality -  fans need to accept it.

You could give me White, Cooper and Fowler and without a QB you're not winning anything.  You might be better but a championship is what I'm after not a wildcard birth.

If we draft Mariota, I'll be forced into the same "cautious optimism" mode that I was thrown into when we drafted Sanchez and Geno. I liked neither. I'm sick of every year the Jets decide it's time to go get our franchise QB being a year with a sh*t QB class. Enough. Get a stop-gap to compete with Geno and draft a QB in the first round when one is actually worth taking in the first round.

I agree with you on the optimism on Sanchez.After the Pitt loss in 2011 championship game, I honestly thought we had our QB. Obviously, never happened. Never felt that way about Geno. Never once ever remember watching him in college and thinking" wow, he is gonna be great at the next level." Geno was a total waste of a pick, and was the beginning of the end of Idzik.

The thing that worries me about Mariota is the way people talk about him.....great kid, hard worker, great athlete, etc. Stuff you say about someone to cover up the fact that he's not that good. Just think we will regret this pick. But I've been a Jet fan for 48 years, so take this with a grain of salt.And tequila.

If the Eagles are that desperate to get Mariota and the Jets are there at 6 with Mariota on the table.I would definitely accept the trade that Chip Kelly would offer probably the Jets would get Nick Foles and many many picks.

Now I would not hate this but I would still worry that Mariota turns into a superstar and we let him go.

Now I would not hate this but I would still worry that Mariota turns into a superstar and we let him go.

"Worrying" is not a reason to not make a trade like that. Even if RGIII had lived up to the promise he showed as a rookie, the Rams still would have been wrong not to take that deal.

Do not trade up-  not advocating this but if someone wants our 6th pick with real good deal trade down to get more picks we need to restock players to fill the holes in this team

Do not trade up- not advocating this but if someone wants our 6th pick with real good deal trade down to get more picks we need to restock players to fill the holes in this team

I understand this line of thinking, I really do. I just know if you don't have a QB you have nothing. The jets do not have a QB. They need to find one.

I understand this line of thinking, I really do. I just know if you don't have a QB you have nothing. The jets do not have a QB. They need to find one.

I'm in 100% agreement with you...I don't love Mariotta and I would love to trade down and grab multiple picks.  I'll go as far as saying I think there's a better chance Mariotta fails than not - but you have to take him anyway.

They need to keep taking QB's until they find one.

2 problems with that line of thinking. 

1 - are the jets better off with another Gholston, Robertson, or Pryor in lieu of rolling the dice on a franchise QB?   there are no guarantees in the draft and if we are going to take a chance I'd rather have it be at THE impact position. 

2 - when is a 'worthy' 1st rd QB going to be available?   not just eligible for the draft but at a spot the jets can reasonable make the pick.   if they go the stopgap route and continually draft in the 14-20 slot it would cost a fortune to move up to the top 3 to take said franchise QB and then it's still a crapshoot.  

Mariota is clearly not Brady or Luck but he does remind me a lot of Wilson and I think he'll be able to move the chains with his legs in the NFL.   I'm not entirely sold on Mariota but I'd rather take a chance at QB than any other position in the draft.    What other positions are available - DT, WR, OLB?     the best pass rushers in the NFL were home for the playoffs.   As was Julio Jones.   C Johnson has played like 2 playoff games in his career yet every year we see Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Manning, Flaco, Luck competing for super bowls.  

Archived