$54.75M Cap without cutting Harvin!

BurnleyJet

So all I'm really hearing is that Idzik left us in a great spot...

Not really. For one thing, he had the worst draft in Jets history. That's tough to do. Also, while his approach was to "never overpay," he left us in a situation where we are forced to overpay to hit the cap floor.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2. Keep him with a restructured contract

Harvin wants no part of a pay cut, presumably because he believes he can fetch at least $10.5 million on the open market. He would be amenable to a simple restructuring, meaning the conversion of salary into signing bonus.

In other words, they could cut his base pay to $870,000, the veterans’ minimum, giving him the difference ($9.63 million) in the form of a signing bonus. That would allow them to pro-rate the bonus over the four years of the contract, lowering his cap number this year to a palatable $3.28 million.

There’s a downside, though. By doing this, the Jets would be sinking money into Harvin beyond 2015 (with regard to the cap) and that could come back to bite them. If they decide in a year to cut Harvin, they would get hit with his bonus acceleration in 2016, a cap charge of $7.2 million (pre-June 1).

By then, he will have cost the Jets a total of $17.6 million (salaries for ’14 and ’15) and a fourth-round pick for 24 games (assuming he plays every game). That’s not a cost-effective way of doing business.

To Harvin’s credit, he was a model teammate last season, as he tried to squash his reputation for being a divisive influence. He played hurt and he adapted nicely to a new environment and a new offense. Cynics will say he was on his best behavior because of the financial motivation. Will he revert to the old Percy if he scores the $10.5 million salary? That, no doubt, will be part of Maccagnan’s decision.

One thing to remember: The Jets have two forms of leverage. Under the current contract, they can cut Harvin with no salary-cap ramifications. They also can benefit from the timing of the deadline -- March 19, one week into free agency. By then, the big money will have been spent on other receivers. The Jets can hurt his negotiating position in the open market by holding on to him until March 18.

Analysis: If the Jets guarantee $10.5 million, which is what they would be doing by restructuring the remaining four years, they would be looking at least a two-year commitment because of the cap situation. That would be risky, considering his checkered background.

I cannot think of any rational reason why someone would see this as a serious option unless that person works for Percy Harvin.

A team with $55M of cap room WITHOUT restructuring Harvin doesn't need his cap number lowered this season. If it's a simple restructure, you're paying him the same amount one way or another. This is the type of move that is done PURELY by teams right up against the cap, not ones who have enough cap space for Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers, and still have 8 figures of cap space left over.

This is the most mindless "solution" imaginable. If Maccagnan ever proposes this to Harvin, or accepts such a proposal FROM Harvin, we've got huge problems on our hands at GM. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and choose to believe it's not possible.

If they want to cut Harvin then cut him. If they're going to keep him, then keep him as-is and he's cuttable whenever they feel like it with no cap hit until final cutdowns just before game 1.

Restructuring does nothing except benefit Harvin and lock us into him in exchange for temporary salary cap relief that we don't remotely need in the first place. No matter who we sign or re-sign, and even keeping Harvin as-is on top of that, we're still going into 2016 with extra leftover cap space from 2015 pushed forward.

Analysis: At $10.5 million, Harvin would be the highest-paid player on the team in terms of 2015 compensation. That’s out of whack.

last year the highest paid player was Decker at 7 mil. And the team stunk. I don't know how out of whack it is to have a player over 10 mil.  

last year the highest paid player was Decker at 7 mil. And the team stunk. I don't know how out of whack it is to have a player over 10 mil.  

What's out of whack will be Harvin=$10.5 + Marshal=$7.5 = Decker=$6.5 + Kerley=$4.5

Someone's got to go and that person will be Harvin because it won't cost the Jets $1

What's out of whack will be Harvin=$10.5 + Marshal=$7.5 = Decker=$6.5 + Kerley=$4.5

Someone's got to go and that person will be Harvin because it won't cost the Jets $1

And we'll get to keep our 4th rounder, which we'll want to do even more in light of trading our 5th to Chicago.

But you're wasting your breath. Or fingers, I guess.

And we'll get to keep our 4th rounder, which we'll want to do even more in light of trading our 5th to Chicago.

But you're wasting your breath. Or fingers, I guess.

Looks as if we will be going OL/CB or OLB in the draft, whether that be at #6(OLB) or #20(CB or OL) These will be good value at that slots.

Kerley does not get $4.5M. You scared the sh*t out of me.  He gets $2M, which is not even guaranteed until the 14th, of course they gave  him a bonus which would be a hit, but if he were making  $4.5M I would be pissed. 

Kerley does not get $4.5M. You scared the sh*t out of me.  He gets $2M, which is not even guaranteed until the 14th, of course they gave  him a bonus which would be a hit, but if he were making  $4.5M I would be pissed. 

Ooops! You're right. He is signed through 2018

WR Jeremy Kerley signed a four year, $14 million contract extension with the New York Jets on October 21, 2014. According to Dom Cosentino of NJ.com, Kerley received a $3 million signing bonus and has $2 million in contract escaltaors.

Contract Details
Total Value: $14,000,000 (avg. $3,500,000/year; $3,841,765 fully guaranteed)
34th highest of 231 WR contracts

Archived