Daniel Jeremiah thinks up to 7 WR's could go 1s Round.

32EBoozer

Led by the likes of Odell Beckham Jr., Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans, last year's rookie wide receivers left quite a high bar to clear for the group available in the 2015 NFL Draft.

» Four potential replacements in draft for Cowboys' Dez Bryant

It's true that it might be tough to come close to the production that some of those players had in their first year in the NFL, but that shouldn't scare off any general manager from drafting a pass catcher in the first round.

Why?

Whether you're going with West Virginia's Kevin White, Alabama's Amari Cooper or somebody else, NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes the position could be the safest in the 2015 NFL Draft.

"It seemed like it was boom or bust, and we can go through the Mike Williams, Troy Williamson, Darrius Heyward-Bey and all the risk involved," Jeremiah said on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft." "Then last year, we hit on all these guys. This year, I think they're some of the safest players in the draft, which you never would have said before.

"These guys are clean players," he said. "They've got high character and check every box."

In his latest mock draft, NFL Media analyst Charles Davis believes as many as five wideouts could go in the first round. In addition to White and Cooper, Louisville's DeVante Parker is widely viewed as a lock to be drafted on the first night, and Oklahoma's Dorial Green-Beckham, Arizona State's Jaelen Strong, Ohio State's Devin Smith and even hybrid tight end/receiver Devin Funchess will each be given strong consideration.

Throw in guys like Tyler Lockett out of Kansas State -- who is NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt's No. 5 receiver in the draft -- FBS record-setter Justin Hardy from East Carolina, or USC's Nelson Agholor in later rounds and the position certainly seems stocked with talent once again.

Based on last year and the tape the incoming class has, Jeremiah appears to be right that NFL franchises can't go wrong if they pick up a wide receiver early or often in this year's draft.

7 is a lot. I was picturing at least 5, based on the premise that 1.) there's a good amount of WR talent in this draft, and 2.) teams that didn't hit the jackpot last year, will look to do so this year (same logic as Daniel Jeremiah, basically) because it's a copycat league.

7 is a lot. I was picturing at least 5, based on the premise that 1.) there's a good amount of WR talent in this draft, and 2.) teams that didn't hit the jackpot last year, will look to do so this year (same logic as Daniel Jeremiah, basically) because it's a copycat league.

I'd be open to a Devin Smith in Rd. 2 if all the other top guys are gone and we go QB or OLB @ #6

Might still get a quality RB at that position (Gurley, Gordon or Coleman) or a CB

dorial green beckham isn't going in round 1. He's not "clean" couldn't finish school. His vert wasn't great and ran a 4.5 not a 4.3,

BY the way Amari Cooper's vert was the same crappy 33 inches but he's 4 inches shorter. Not saying COoper won't go in 1 (he certainly will) but maybe not as high as people believe

Unlike most, I think Eric Decker needs someone opposite him to take the top off the defense which would allow him to maximize his talent making him the true #1 WR the New York Jets need.  IMO, a #1 receiver is the player a QB turns too when he needs a play, and Decker can be that player. Decker is exactly what every Jet poster thinks Amari Cooper can be if the Jets take him with the 6th overall pick.

What this teams need is a Receiver who can stretch the field and still be a legitimate receiving threat. The player that brings this element to the roster best is Devin Smith with his ability to track the ball on deep routes and actually catch it.  It's my hope he's there in the 2nd round and he's even worth a trade up to acquire.

dorial green beckham isn't going in round 1. He's not "clean" couldn't finish school. His vert wasn't great and ran a 4.5 not a 4.3,

BY the way Amari Cooper's vert was the same crappy 33 inches but he's 4 inches shorter. Not saying COoper won't go in 1 (he certainly will) but maybe not as high as people believe

Yeah, the "their all clean" comment and then seeing GreenBeckham's name didn't compute for me either.

Will give you same bet as RSJ who didn't bite

Coop goes top ten I get $25  he goes top 20 you get $40

I'd be open to a Devin Smith in Rd. 2 if all the other top guys are gone and we go QB or OLB @ #6

Might still get a quality RB at that position (Gurley, Gordon or Coleman) or a CB

I think Smith has bust all over him.

Most games the guy caught between 1-3 catches a game with one of the catches going for about 90% of his total yards. He's not going to get those big gains all the time in the pros, and he's pretty much useless otherwise.

Maybe he ekes out a Ginn like career as a KO returner.

He may or may not go round 1 but you realize that DGB is 6'6 237 pounds right?  Not too many guys his size are going to run 4.3 and 4.5 is faster than many receivers in this draft. 

As I been saying it isn't that deep of a WR draft as many think if the Jets dont grab 1 at 6 all the decent ones will be gone another reason to sign Harvin

There's a plethora of extremely talented wide receivers coming out this year, same as last year. There will be rookies in the second and third rounds making significant contributions this upcoming season.  Right or wrong, none of of that changes the fact Harvin isn't going to be retained at $10 million per. The quicker you come to terms with that, the less of a shot to the pills it will be when he's released.

As I been saying it isn't that deep of a WR draft as many think if the Jets dont grab 1 at 6 all the decent ones will be gone another reason to sign Harvin

Um, 5-7 receivers taken in the first round seems pretty deep to me.  And those are just the true blue chippers the next tier of receivers will include Sammie Coates, Phillip Dorsett, Stephon Diggs, Rashad Greene, Tony Lippett, Breshard Perriman, Jamie Crowder etc. etc.   I think the success of last years class has alot of team wanting to grab the next Evans or OBJ and thats one reason so many of them are projected to go in the first round.  There will still be quality receiving talent in the 2nd possibly 3rd rounds. Unless there is another run on receivers like that projected in the first.  I think the odds are great that we should get a quality receiver with our 2nd or 3rd round pick if we don't go receiver at 6. 

There's a plethora of extremely talented wide receivers coming out this year, same as last year. There will be rookies in the second and third rounds making significant contributions this upcoming season.  Right or wrong, none of of that changes the fact Harvin isn't going to be retained at $10 million per. The quicker you come to terms with that, the less of a shot to the pills it will be when he's released.

Um, 5-7 receivers taken in the first round seems pretty deep to me.  And those are just the true blue chippers the next tier of receivers will include Sammie Coates, Phillip Dorsett, Stephon Diggs, Rashad Greene, Tony Lippett, Breshard Perriman, Jamie Crowder etc. etc.   I think the success of last years class has alot of team wanting to grab the next Evans or OBJ and thats one reason so many of them are projected to go in the first round.  There will still be quality receiving talent in the 2nd possibly 3rd rounds. Unless there is another run on receivers like that projected in the first.  I think the odds are great that we should get a quality receiver with our 2nd or 3rd round pick if we don't go receiver at 6. 

33 WRs were chosen in the 2014 NFL draft all of them had catches this past season except those drafted by the NY Jets. 

I have no faith in draft picks in any round here history has proven me correct. 

33 WRs were chosen in the 2014 NFL draft all of them had catches this past season except those drafted by the NY Jets. 

I have no faith in draft picks in any round here history has proven me correct. 

How can history prove you correct before single player from this draft plays a game?   Can we at least wait until after the season before making a definitive statement about this draft class?   No one said this class was as deep but it is pretty darn deep in it's own right and there is no reason to assume we won't be in position to draft a quality wr in this draft.   

How can history prove you correct before single player from this draft plays a game?   Can we at least wait until after the season before making a definitive statement about this draft class?   No one said this class was as deep but it is pretty darn deep in it's own right and there is no reason to assume we won't be in position to draft a quality wr in this draft.   

So you choose a "what if" 4th round pick over Percy Harvin?  I dont 

I think Smith has bust all over him.

Most games the guy caught between 1-3 catches a game with one of the catches going for about 90% of his total yards. He's not going to get those big gains all the time in the pros, and he's pretty much useless otherwise.

Maybe he ekes out a Ginn like career as a KO returner.

That's why I didnt like kelvin Benjamin either but that worked out good for Carolina. Smith went through 3 qbs, I'm not really sure what he is, there was no real consistency on offense with that team.

White, Cooper, Parker, and Strong - I'm going four.

Um, 5-7 receivers taken in the first round seems pretty deep to me. And those are just the true blue chippers

There is hardly ever 5-7 true blue chippers in one draft, let alone one position in a draft. Cooper is the blue chip WR in this draft, everyone else is trying. I like Strong too, he's the second best for me. Those two will be in the league for a decade+ barring injury.

That's why I didnt like kelvin Benjamin either but that worked out good for Carolina. Smith went through 3 qbs, I'm not really sure what he is, there was no real consistency on offense with that team.

There's 3 things that stand out for Devin Smith being a Jet.

He can get deep which takes the coverage off Decker which helps the Jets offense.

He tracks the ball like no receiver I have ever seen in the league

He catches the ball if he can get to it and he's tough as nails  having played gunner on OSU special teams.

He perfect for what ails the Jets presently

hes also 6-5 230...4.5 is great for his size

Dude, where I say that? Don't create straw man arguments.  The point is the wr class is loaded and not just the first round.  For the record, I don't have a problem keeping Harvin for one year and still taking a receiver in the draft to replace him.  By the way I bet the Steelers are okay with letting Emmanuel Sanders leave and drafting Martavis Bryant in the 4th round.  

No team is giving Harvin 10m dollars in Free Agency. Hence no team should be willing to give Harvin 10m PLUS a 4th rounder. Hell be cut on the last day we can cut him to lower his value. 

Will give you same bet as RSJ who didn't bite

Coop goes top ten I get $25  he goes top 20 you get $40

im not comfortable with money bets but if we do it for a charity that makes me feel better

as for the bet itself I feel like it's right on the line. 9,10,11 there abouts. Let me think about it. 

He may or may not go round 1 but you realize that DGB is 6'6 237 pounds right?  Not too many guys his size are going to run 4.3 and 4.5 is faster than many receivers in this draft. 

hes also 6-5 230...4.5 is great for his size

just to be clear I am aware DGB has a great size speed the problem is he can't get through school or follow the basic rules of society. he'd have to be calvin Johnson running 4.3 at that size to make it into rd 1 with all that baggage

were he a functional member of society those numbers would be great. the whole josh Gordon  thing doesn't help

im not comfortable with money bets but if we do it for a charity that makes me feel better

as for the bet itself I feel like it's right on the line. 9,10,11 there abouts. Let me think about it. 

I Win  $25 goes to relay for life to support cancer

For a guy that is 6"5 and 237, running a 4.49 is very good. The kid is a freak and someone will roll the dice on him late in the 1st or early in the 2nd. And one team could fall in love and take him even higher. 

For a guy that is 6"5 and 237, running a 4.49 is very good. The kid is a freak and someone will roll the dice on him late in the 1st or early in the 2nd. And one team could fall in love and take him even higher. 

If he can't get through life at Missouri or Oklahoma without being kicked off both rosters, how will he make it through life as a professional WR in the NFL?

If he can't get through life at Missouri or Oklahoma without being kicked off both rosters, how will he make it through life as a professional WR in the NFL?

That is the big question, not his ability/height/speed. He can be the next Randy Moss or the next Josh Gordon. He won't fail in the NFL because he wasn't fast enough. 

If he had a head on his shoulders, he'd be my #1 WR in this draft.

That is the big question, not his ability/height/speed. He can be the next Randy Moss or the next Josh Gordon. He won't fail in the NFL because he wasn't fast enough. 

If he had a head on his shoulders, he'd be my #1 WR in this draft.

If he is sitting there when we pick in the 2nd round, he will be a Jet. Doubt if he makes it that far. 

Archived