Reasonable #s you EXPECT Pryor & Amaro to produce in 2015

Gas2No99

Now that it's been rumored (and logical) that the Jets will let Landry walk in FA, Pryor can now play at his "natural" position of SS IF he beats out Jarrett (RFA who I believe we will retain). The Excusers attribute his poor rookie campaign to playing out of position @ FS & there were rumors of poor preparation & professionalism off the field as well.

With Bowles coming aboard, I see him possibly using Pryor similar to how Deone Bucanon was implemented on the Cardinals (83 tackles, 2 Sacks, 1 FF, 2 PD) constantly rushing from inside the box & spying TEs. Bowles seems to run a tighter ship & won't grant the slacking as his predecessor did.

Will Pryor justify his status as the first of 4 1st round safeties selected in the '14 draft or does he replace Kyle Wilson as Rex's latest secondary draft blunder? What would be acceptable stats for fans not to consider him on the path of recent Jets draft picks: serviceable but no one exceptional.

I threw in projecting Amaro's #s just for fun

I think if we get a QB who knows how to read a defense Jace will show his talent & why he was rated 1 of the top TE prospect in his draft class, Pryor will be a lot better playing his natural position & having Bowles... as projections lets wait to see what they put around these guys first.

Now that it's been rumored (and logical) that the Jets will let Landry walk in FA, Pryor can now play at his "natural" position of SS IF he beats out Jarrett (RFA who I believe we will retain). The Excusers attribute his poor rookie campaign to playing out of position @ FS & there were rumors of poor preparation & professionalism off the field as well.

With Bowles coming aboard, I see him possibly using Pryor similar to how Deone Bucanon was implemented on the Cardinals (83 tackles, 2 Sacks, 1 FF, 2 PD) constantly rushing from inside the box & spying TEs. Bowles seems to run a tighter ship & won't grant the slacking as his predecessor did.

Will Pryor justify his status as the first of 4 1st round safeties selected in the '14 draft or does he replace Kyle Wilson as Rex's latest secondary draft blunder? What would be acceptable stats for fans not to consider him on the path of recent Jets draft picks: serviceable but no one exceptional.

I threw in projecting Amaro's #s just for fun

Great idea for a thread.

Amaro is all about the QB. If we have a merry go round with a bunch of guys who can't get it done then Jace can't be blamed if he doesn't produce much. With him what I'd say is once the QB position is figured out I'd like him to be a 70-80 receptions, 7-10 TD's and 650-800 yards per year guy. He's a recieving TE, so if he is a top 10 TE by 2016 he will get a nice extension. I like what I saw in 2014.

Pryor was close to being a complete disaster in 2014. He was always out of position, lost in coverage and missed tackles by going for the big hit every time. I'm very worried that he is a bust. To be a former top 20 pick at the safety position in 2015 I need to see at least 90- 100 tackles, 3-4 sacks and 3-4 INts. 1st round safety's need to be game changers. A few key sacks and turnovers would be a huge step forward for him. With BOWLES and his defensive staff I think he still has a chance.

If Amaro is the real deal, he should flourish under Gailey.  Scott Chandler had some pretty good numbers and IIRC, Eric Green was leading receiver for Pittsburgh when Gailey was there.  I imagine they will get him the ball quick and let him run.  Hopefully the switch in OC won't make for a steep learning curve because he looked kind of lost at first and started to settle in.  Hopefully he will start off faster this year.

I think Pryor is fine.  I think he will be improved and fine again, but fans will probably still dislike him because he isn't Ed Reed in his 2nd year.  Everybody will probably admit he is good when it is time to re-sign him. I don't see much purpose in providing numbers for a safety because how he is used should determine INTs and tackle numbers are often misleading.

Amaro - 60 receptions 700 yds 6 tds

Pryor - 70 tackles

I'm not ready to give up on Pryor and call him another Kyle Wilson yet

Pryor has shown to have the skill and talent to play the position - just makes mental errors.  He can grow out to that - as a rookie - with the rest of D-backfield he had and playing out of position  - it's totally understandable.

I think Prior is going to have a big year.

Amaro - it's all about the QB - but he's a good player that's only going to get better as he gets more comfortable.

I think they both take the next step this season and show improvement. With all the focus on the lack of CB's we have, the safety position is a problem too.  Pryor will be surrounded with more talent and experience this year and I beleieve he will do well.

If we can get a free safety I think it will help Pryor. If Amaro can put up those numbers then we will have a pro bowl type TE on our hands.

I agree it will help Pryor if he sticks to strong safety. That's why I wanted to sign McCourty

Amaro - 60 receptions 700 yds 6 tds

Pryor - 70 tackles

I'm not ready to give up on Pryor and call him another Kyle Wilson yet

Amaro's ceiling for his career are those numbers - So they are very optimistic at best. Also he has Zero Yac unless no ones around so his YPC are likely to be closer to what he did this year which was 9 yards per catch. If he's a 9-10 YPC guy then he needs 70 catches to get those numbers which isn't happening. Especially considering hell drop 10-15 balls yearly. 

Realistic numbers for Amaro are something like 50-55 Catches for 500 Yards and 4 Touchdowns. 

Pyror has a real chance at being benched if he doesn't perform. From everything you see about Bowles he does not tolerate guys that make the same mistake over and over again. I think you have to be real happy if he starts all year and is league average. Last year he looked like he didn't belong in the NFL. The Hope would be then in his 3rd year or 2nd year with Bowles he would explode.

Amaro's ceiling for his career are those numbers - So they are very optimistic at best. Also he has Zero Yac unless no ones around so his YPC are likely to be closer to what he did this year which was 9 yards per catch. If he's a 9-10 YPC guy then he needs 70 catches to get those numbers which isn't happening. Especially considering hell drop 10-15 balls yearly.

Realistic numbers for Amaro are something like 50-55 Catches for 500 Yards and 4 Touchdowns.

Pyror has a real chance at being benched if he doesn't perform. From everything you see about Bowles he does not tolerate guys that make the same mistake over and over again. I think you have to be real happy if he starts all year and is league average. Last year he looked like he didn't belong in the NFL. The Hope would be then in his 3rd year or 2nd year with Bowles he would explode.

Amaro had 38 catches for 345 yards last year in spite of being used sparingly by our coaching staff. In comparison Vernon Davis had 20 catches for 245 yards his rookie year before becoming one of the best tight ends in the nfl until Mangina wrecked him last season.

Not being a homer I just think you expect too little out of Amaro. The guy is a talent.

Jace runs like an oaf, with no grace.

He may not be the most graceful runner, but he was getting open and creating separation consistently last year.  If he can improve his hands, and the Jets can bring in a quarterback who can get him the ball, he's going to be very productive in this league.

I don't even expect Pryor to win the starting job in '15. I saw nothing encouraging from him last year. Nothing.

Your right, guy can't tackle can't cover, takes bad angles, and makes zero plays. I'd have been upset if he was a 3rd round pick with his productivity. Very disappointed, but Idzik's and his boys wiffed on virtually every pick apart from Richardson, but that's more of luck then judgment.

Your right, guy can't tackle can't cover, takes bad angles, and makes zero plays. I'd have been upset if he was a 3rd round pick with his productivity. Very disappointed, but Idzik's and his boys wiffed on virtually every pick apart from Richardson, but that's more of luck then judgment.

Agreed. Hard to give Idzik any credit for Richardson when you look at his personnel track record. I think it was luck too.

And yet there are still Jet fans around here that claim Idzik got a raw deal. Idzik didn't get screwed. He screwed the Jets... and the fans.

Idziot.

I too am disappointed in Pryor's production and TOTAL SENSE of looking LOST on the field in 2014. 

Yet, what is REALLY DISTURBING, is that MANY PUNDITS had him as the best safety with Ha-Ha (recall 4 1st round safties drafted in '14, UNHEARD OF! and #25 was the 1st/Best?!?!) and thought he would win DROY before the season began.

He was viewed & described as an IMPACT player and supposedly justified being the 1st of FOUR 1st ROUND Safties drafted in '14. I hope for the best, but the GROSSLY INCORRECT prognostication by "EXPERTS" is what I found the most harrowing. Did wed really pick that badly??

Jace will be amazing once we get a QB!

Amaro had a very nice 6 game stretch during weeks 3-8 when Geno was the QB (his targets dropped quite a bit when Vick was playing) and I would not be surprised if he puts those numbers up for an entire season. Extrapolate his 6 game stretch w/Geno into an entire season: 77 receptions on 85 targets for 725 yards. TDs are pretty much impossble to predict, so I'm not going to even guess, but I feel pretty comfortable that 70+ receptions and 700+ yards is a pretty reasonable expectation for Amaro. 

I try to be optimistic but the truth is Pryor is awful in coverage so I'm not expecting anything.  He's downright terrible.  They drafted him because of how he plays against the run.   Amaro is an average player in my opinion.   

Wasn't Pryor a FS in college?

Amaro is going to be fine.

Pryor unfortunately looks like Wilson, small, slow and no instincts.

FS in college is easy. Most tight ends and fullbacks are slow compared to what you see in the nfl.

I don't think Pryor is completely hopeless like Wilson. As long as Pryor sticks to SS he might end being decent

I try to be optimistic but the truth is Pryor is awful in coverage so I'm not expecting anything. He's downright terrible. They drafted him because of how he plays against the run. Amaro is an average player in my opinion.

Pryor was a retarded draft pick. I was positive the jets were going to take Clinton-Dix

They both suck, so who cares?

I sure do.  This is their 2nd year in the league, and one of them was playing out of position as a rookie, while the other has a brain dead QB.  It may turn out that they both suck, but you surely don't know that yet. 

But thanks for your very inciteful post.  It was so informative and a great addition to this forum. 

If we can get a free safety I think it will help Pryor. If Amaro can put up those numbers then we will have a pro bowl type TE on our hands. 

Amaro is a huge target and can move.  An accurate, confident QB could feast off of him, stats-wise

I too am disappointed in Pryor's production and TOTAL SENSE of looking LOST on the field in 2014. 

Yet, what is REALLY DISTURBING, is that MANY PUNDITS had him as the best safety with Ha-Ha (recall 4 1st round safties drafted in '14, UNHEARD OF! and #25 was the 1st/Best?!?!) and thought he would win DROY before the season began.

He was viewed & described as an IMPACT player and supposedly justified being the 1st of FOUR 1st ROUND Safties drafted in '14. I hope for the best, but the GROSSLY INCORRECT prognostication by "EXPERTS" is what I found the most harrowing. Did wed really pick that badly??

Jace will be amazing once we get a QB!

I think Dix had a pretty low rating among safeties as well this year.  Maybe it is a tough position to learn?  Especially if you are played out of position.  Coverage?  What's that, is what I can imagine Pryor saying in a meeting room.

Archived