Please..please have Mariota drop to 6

Jetster

It's a colossal mistake if he's there at 6 and they don't take him. He's not NFL ready. But you draft him and you sit him for a year.

why? what makes you think he'll be ever be good? You;re not even seeing him in a pro offense, so his stats are meaningless

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mariota isn't getting past 2 

the Titans aren't riding with Mettenberger. this dude went 0-6 last year and finished the year with a season ending throwing shoulder injury. He had a season ending leg injury at LSU. Zach Mettenberger isn't a reason to pass on Mariota. 

Absolutely true...All this take him - don't take him...is irrelevant.  I can't imagine how TN.  passes up on him and even if they do - by almost every account Chip Kelly is willing to do whatever it takes to get this kid - which means not letting him get to six where he know the Jets are QB desperate.

Absolutely true...All this take him - don't take him...is irrelevant.  I can't imagine how TN.  passes up on him and even if they do - by almost every account Chip Kelly is willing to do whatever it takes to get this kid - which means not letting him get to six where he know the Jets are QB desperate.

I agree.  Philly will give up a lot of picks to jump to 6 or 5 so If you are going to gamble that much away then might as well up the ante and get to #2 and guarantee you get your guy (assuming TB stays selects Winston).  Everywhere we read is that Tennessee is not taking him  and he will be there at 6. I cannot believe the Titans have no interest in Mariotta but we will find out soon enough.   They have a horrible squad and could use all the picks that may be thrown there way by Philly. Are you better off drafting Leonard Williams instead of picking up multiple picks this year and next?  

Philly cannot play a wait and see game with Marriotta falling to a qb needy Jets.  They will go all in at #2 

Idk where this narrative that Titans are taking Mariota is coming from, but it's simply not true. Whisenhunt hates running qbs and Mariota doesn't fit the offense Whisenhunt wants to run. Also, they apparantly gave Leonard Williams Casey's phone #, so it's looking like their taking him barring an insane trade up from the Eagles or someone else.

Idk where this narrative that Titans are taking Mariota is coming from, but it's simply not true. Whisenhunt hates running qbs and Mariota doesn't fit the offense Whisenhunt wants to run. Also, they apparantly gave Leonard Williams Casey's phone #, so it's looking like their taking him barring an insane trade up from the Eagles or someone else.

Ken Whisenhunt is the head coach not the general manager. 

why? what makes you think he'll be ever be good? You;re not even seeing him in a pro offense, so his stats are meaningless

On Paper: He's 6'4 225 runs a 4.4 and can jump out of the building. He's basically the complete package athletically.  

Mental Makeup: There's nobody better in the last 10 years from a character perspective. Coaches gawk over his leadership skills and willingness to work on and off the field.

On the field: He has a strong enough arm to make all the throws. His football intelligence is suppose to be off the charts. What most fans don't talk about but what you hear from most insiders is the amount of pre snap reads involved to make Oregon's offense work. That since Day 1 Mariota has made it seem effortless.  He has excellent poise in the pocket and can make plays out of nothing when it breaks down. 

so in conclusion...

Arm Strength? Yes

Size? Yes

Athleticism? Yes

Intelligence? Yes

Leadership? Yes

On Paper: He's 6'4 225 runs a 4.4 and can jump out of the building. He's basically the complete package athletically.  

Mental Makeup: There's nobody better in the last 10 years from a character prospective. Coaches gawk over his leadership skills and willingness to work on and off the field.

On the field: He has a strong enough arm to make all the throws. His football intelligence is suppose to be off the charts. What most fans don't talk about but what you hear from most insiders is the amount of pre snap reads involved to make Oregon's offense work. That since Day 1 Mariota has made it seem effortless.  He's known to have excellent poise in the pocket and can make plays out of nothing when it breaks down. 

so in conclusion...

Arm Strength? Yes

Size? Yes

Athleticism? Yes

Intelligence? Yes

Leadership? Yes

The complete package, as long as you don't ask him to throw the ball too much.

Mental Makeup: There's nobody better in the last 10 years from a character perspective. Coaches gawk over his leadership skills and willingness to work on and off the field.

On the field: He has a strong enough arm to make all the throws. His football intelligence is suppose to be off the charts. What most fans don't talk about but what you hear from most insiders is the amount of pre snap reads involved to make Oregon's offense work. That since Day 1 Mariota has made it seem effortless.  He has excellent poise in the pocket and can make plays out of nothing when it breaks down. 

so in conclusion...

Arm Strength? Yes

Size? Yes

Athleticism? Yes

Intelligence? Yes

Leadership? Yes

Speed doesn't mean much to me if the guy can't play from the pocket well. And the intangibles stuff only mean something if the guy can actually play at this level. I am not well versed on this , but from my basic understanding of the Oregon offense the pre snap reads are pretty basic, and essentially determine where you are going to go with the football

Speed doesn't mean much to me if the guy can't play from the pocket well. And the intangibles stuff only mean something if the guy can actually play at this level. I am not well versed on this , but from my basic understanding of the Oregon offense the pre snap reads are pretty basic, and essentially determine where you are going to go with the football

The, in pocket, post snap passing reads are what most are concerned about. Feeling the rush. His feet to eyes dropping back under center. And his accuracy are all real concerns. 

I'm not trying to sell you on him. He's has positives and negatives. I think he needs to sit a year but I think he's the best option to be a star QB in this draft and the Jets need one. 

Interestingly, he threw for more yards (4,400 vs, 3,900), more TDs (42 vs. 25), less INTs (4 vs. 18) with a higher completion percentage (68 vs 65) than Winston this year. All with only 22 less attempts (445 vs 467).

The Florida State offense looked a whole lot better with Winston than it did with E.J. Manuel, and he's a first round draft pick. The Oregon offense looked about the same with Mariota as it did with Darron Thomas, and he's nobody.

Interestingly, he threw for more yards (4,400 vs, 3,900), more TDs (42 vs. 25), less INTs (4 vs. 18) with a higher completion percentage (68 vs 65) than Winston this year. All with only 22 less attempts (445 vs 467).

Did you actually watch the games? Vince Young had nice passing stats in college too. These college FB offenses are so gimmicky

Ken Whisenhunt is the head coach not the general manager. 

And no Gm is going to sign off on a qb the coach doesn't want, especially one at the 2nd pick of the draft. And once again, they gave a current titans player's # to Williams, if that doesn't tell you their drafting him I don't know what will.

And no Gm is going to sign off on a qb the coach doesn't want, especially one at the 2nd pick of the draft. And once again, they gave a current titans player's # to Williams, if that doesn't tell you their drafting him I don't know what will.

Geno is Steve young compared to Jake locker and Zach Mettenberger. The titans best play is to trade the #2 pick to philly for Foles and a bunch of picks.

The Florida State offense looked a whole lot better with Winston than it did with E.J. Manuel, and he's a first round draft pick. The Oregon offense looked about the same with Mariota as it did with Darron Thomas, and he's nobody.

Fair point...although Thomas never threw for over 3,000 yards (Mariota 3,600 and 4,400 and threw for as many yards as Thomas' best year as as freshman), Thomas never passed over 62% CP (Mariota 68% twice and 63% with a torn MCL) 105 career TDs for Mariota vs. Thomas' 66. Mariota basically doubled Thomas' rushing yards per year. Passer rating almost 20 points higher. etc.

Manuel actually had 3 seasons with a better passer rating than Winston this year. His Sr. season, Manuel threw for more yards, better CP and 8 less INTs. 

But as said before, if I didn't think Winston was such a mental midget I'd probably prefer him over Mariota. 

Mariota: 68.3; 4454; 42; 4

Geno: 71.2; 4205; 42; 6

The thing with Mariota is that he's just not a great passer, and nobody ever comes into the NFL and becomes a more accurate passer. The running, the athleticism, the nice-guy attitude means less than zero if his arm is a liability on third and ten.

Mariota: 68.3; 4454; 42; 4

Geno: 71.2; 4205; 42; 6

The thing with Mariota is that he's just not a great passer, and nobody ever comes into the NFL and becomes a more accurate passer. The running, the athleticism, the nice-guy attitude means less than zero if his arm is a liability on third and ten.

If your comparing them as passers, Geno's issues aren't that he can't throw the ball. Mariota needs work but I think his mental make up leads to him improving as his career continues. 

Did you actually watch the games? Vince Young had nice passing stats in college too. These college FB offenses are so gimmicky

Whooooa slow down psycho. Yes, I watch a lot of college games. I literally put the stats down on paper/or post. You're free to make your own decisions.

You should watch some movies. Movies always seem to cheer you up for sure.

Lady friend and I watched movies yesterday. I picked The Way Way Back because I like Sam Rockwell. The movie was one of those bullsh*t male fantasies wherein an awkward teen is inexplicably embraced by a super-cool surrogate dad figure, but with the added bonus of having that awkward teen simultaneously (also inexplicably) pursued by a hot chick. Both are hackneyed, boring film cliches that have been around forever. Her movie selection was Bridget Jones Diary, wherein a pudgy Renee Zellweger is simultaneously, inexplicably pursued by two handsome suitors: one a cad, the other a really nice guy. This is also a time-honored bullsh*t film cliche. Lady friend subsequently informed me that we will no longer have "movie days" together.

Lady friend and I watched movies yesterday. I picked The Way Way Back because I like Sam Rockwell. The movie was one of those bullsh*t male fantasies wherein an awkward teen is inexplicably embraced by a super-cool surrogate dad figure, but with the added bonus of having that awkward teen simultaneously (also inexplicably) pursued by a hot chick. Both are hackneyed, boring film cliches that have been around forever. Her movie selection was Bridget Jones Diary, wherein a pudgy Renee Zellweger is simultaneously, inexplicably pursued by two handsome suitors: one a cad, the other a really nice guy. This is also a time-honored bullsh*t film cliche. Lady friend subsequently informed me that we will no longer have "movie days" together.

See? Don't you feel great now?

Only you and Pac call them your, "Lady Friends". I think there might be something to that. 

Steve Carrell played the prick step-dad pretty damn well though imo.

If your comparing them as passers, Geno's issues aren't that he can't throw the ball. Mariota needs work but I think his mental make up leads to him improving as his career continues.

I'm just not sure you can fix those things is all I'm saying.

It was good to see him playing something other than nebbishy cubicle-dweller guy. (I haven't seen Foxcatcher).

I actually thought that flick wasnt too bad. But when you put it the way you put it...I feel like I shouldnt like it.

Archived