The film room breaks down Marcus mariota vs Florida state

Persiussa

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

File me as a guy who only wants mariota because I'm afraid we'll pass on someone who might succeed and we'll end up looking bad. If I look at the film though the truth is I just don't believe in this guy enough to think he's worth the 6th pick in the draft. Fear is propelling many people's opinion on how the jets should handle it if he's there at 6 and I'm one of those people.

excellent breakdown. Here's what to like about the Kid and why I say he should sit 2 yrs. The kid signed at Oregon, sat his freshman yr  learned the offense and mastered it.  It shows he has the ability to learn what is being taught at a high level. He also can make every throw that the league requires. He's tall enough big enough and athletic enough to make plays with his feet when needed.

Kid has all the tools to be a Franchise QB except experience calling plays at the LOS and making checks. He won't get the 2 yrs he needs in NY, so I say pass and take someone who can help this yr.

We draft Mariota and guarantee Geno will be starting this year.  The kid is definitely not ready for prime time.

I think it would be wise to name Geno starter the day after you draft Mariota... kid should hold a clipboard as long as possible.

Geno was always pass first and maybe he'd run. In some ways geno is the anti mariota.

What I meant was in the fact the guy made that their short/screen passes inflates the stats enough to have analysts consider them a potential top-pick, Mariota just has his legs and a worse arm, but, yes. You're correct. 

I think it would be wise to name Geno starter the day after you draft Mariota... kid should hold a clipboard as long as possible.

Yea absolutely, that's such a great idea.  I can't think of a better way to improve the roster than drafting a second string quarterback.   This thread makes me embarrassed to be a Jets fan.  Think of the way we've used recent 1st round draft picks and we want to draft a second string QB- smh. 

Yea absolutely, that's such a great idea.  I can't think of a better way to improve the roster than drafting a second string quarterback.   This thread makes me embarrassed to be a Jets fan.  Think of the way we've used recent 1st round draft picks and we want to draft a second string QB- smh. 

Your posts make me embarrassed to be registered on this site.

What success?

A rookie of the year who got his team into the playoffs with barely any help? Or do you mean the qb who helped his team get to the Super Bowl by running over various teams such as Green Bay? Perhaps it'd be better if we got the average non elite pocket passer like Dalton who is consistently one and done in the playoffs despite his team being stacked.

i can't believe any of you guys not wanting to draft a QB after what we've had the past 10 yrs plus.  again, 1 game that Geno plays well in the end of the season and everyone is ok with him starting week 1.  we saw what happened this year, lets just keep it going.

mariota has all the physical tools and from everything scouts have said, he has the brains to do it as well.  is he andrew luck?  absolutely not, but he sure as sh!t is a better player then Geno, IMO.

i can't believe any of you guys not wanting to draft a QB after what we've had the past 10 yrs plus. again, 1 game that Geno plays well in the end of the season and everyone is ok with him starting week 1. we saw what happened this year, lets just keep it going.

mariota has all the physical tools and from everything scouts have said, he has the brains to do it as well. is he andrew luck? absolutely not, but he sure as sh!t is a better player then Geno, IMO.

He's probably better than Geno. So am I. And so are you.

I don't get this. This guy was the consensus unquestioned #1 overall pick until only a few wks ago. And now we are hearing he might slip past the Jets at 6? Strange how mocks make a mock of themselves.

Personally, I hope Mariota is drafted before we pick so we don't have to make that decision. I'm not saying he's a bad QB, just don't think he's ready for the NFL yet. Besides, the QB we should be drafting is going to be in next years draft (Connor Cook). IMO, we should be looking for someone in the 3-5 rounds for a QB in this draft.

File me as a guy who only wants mariota because I'm afraid we'll pass on someone who might succeed and we'll end up looking bad. If I look at the film though the truth is I just don't believe in this guy enough to think he's worth the 6th pick in the draft. Fear is propelling many people's opinion on how the jets should handle it if he's there at 6 and I'm one of those people.

So what if we pass on Shane Ray,Amari Cooper and Brandon Scherff and all 3 end up being all pro?

Unless Mariota goes to play for Chip Kelly in Philly he is not going to be successful in the pros. He could be the nicest guy and greatest athlete if he can't read defenses he's not going to have a career.

You guys are NUTS!

QBs rule in this league! We MIGHT have one in Geno but many have already given up on him. Taking Mariota increases those odds we could have a QB going forward!

There is a reason you get pick #6 for SUCKING!

Conner Cook?

With Bowles & Mac, the Jets won't be picking anywhere near the top of the draft with the FA money we have.

Gotta take the QB if he's there.

So what if we pass on Shane Ray,Amari Cooper and Brandon Scherff and all 3 end up being all pro?

Unless Mariota goes to play for Chip Kelly in Philly he is not going to be successful in the pros. He could be the nicest guy and greatest athlete if he can't read defenses he's not going to have a career.

So Gil Brandt, maybe one of the most admired personnel men in the history of the league believes Mariota is the best QB in the draft but your absolutely sure he is not going to be successful in the league.

I think he'll be AS good as Tannyhill pretty quickly.

At this point with the options available, I'll take that & hope he gets much better.

So Gil Brandt, maybe one of the most admired personnel men in the history of the league believes Mariota is the best QB in the draft but your absolutely sure he is not going to be successful in the league.

At this point with the options available, I'll take that & hope he gets much better.

Mariota never had to actually read defenses in college. What else do you want me to do? Yeah our qb situation sucks adding another college system qb and passing up potential studs doesn't sound like a great solution to me I'm sorry.

Personally, I hope Mariota is drafted before we pick so we don't have to make that decision. I'm not saying he's a bad QB, just don't think he's ready for the NFL yet. Besides, the QB we should be drafting is going to be in next years draft (Connor Cook). IMO, we should be looking for someone in the 3-5 rounds for a QB in this draft.

There's no decision to be made. Mariota is not a top 5 draft pick caliber player. If he's off the board by the time we pick then someone either made a huge mistake or the Eagles traded up to get him. Its looking more and more like the Eagles will be able to get him without even trading up for him. 

Mariota never had to actually read defenses in college. What else do you want me to do? Yeah our qb situation sucks adding another college system qb and passing up potential studs doesn't sound like a great solution to me I'm sorry.

My point of taking a chance on Mariota is the guy is very smart. The story is he came to Oregon & mastered that offense very quickly.

With practice, perseverance, and his athleticism, let him sit & learn from a great teacher like Chan Gailey.

Gaileys strength is using an offense that fits his personnel.

Geno & Mariota have enough athletic similarities for him to construct an offense they can both try to master.

I don't see Chan putting these round peg QBs in the square hole.

Genos biggest issue is negative plays. He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes, but I also feel that our defense will take a huge leap forward in 2015 as Bowles has already stated the Jets WILL look to upgrade their secondary in free agency.

If Geno can just reduce the TOs & you combine that with a defense that gives the offense a couple of more possessions it's like night & day from the disaster that was 2014.

Another thing that was thrown on our QBs shoulders was the pressure to make every possession to count because your defense NEVER forced TOs. I believe we were 32nd in forcing TOs?

That put that much more pressure on your offense to be damn near perfect to win a game.

It's funny you say that about Gil Brandt because I remember how high he was on Chad Henne, so you never know.

Jets fans keep with the broken record harping on how bad the qb situation is. However we haven't had a good roster since 2010. 2011 roster was average and our rosters since then have been bad.

Passing on Cooper, Ray or Scherff and cutting Harvin when you already have over $50 million in cap room doesn't a good roster make.

Go read Gil Brandt on Alex Smith.

You guys are NUTS!

QBs rule in this league! We MIGHT have one in Geno but many have already given up on him. Taking Mariota increases those odds we could have a QB going forward!

There is a reason you get pick #6 for SUCKING!

Conner Cook?

With Bowles & Mac, the Jets won't be picking anywhere near the top of the draft with the FA money we have.

Gotta take the QB if he's there.

Good post.  There are three things going on here ...

1) There's too many Jet fans happy to be an 8-10 win team that fights for a wildcard spot once every few years.

2) Contrary to the reality of what we've seen - position players we draft high aren't locks either.  They miss all the time too.

3) For some reason many people are okay with a position player taking a year to develop (most other QB's too) but this board doesn't want to give Mariotta the time.   

Give me Cooper AND Fowler and this team still isn't winning anything without a QB.  If the QB is there you have to take him.

Good post.  There are three things going on here ...

1) There's too many Jet fans happy to be an 8-10 win team that fights for a wildcard spot once every few years.

2) Contrary to the reality of what we've seen - position players we draft high aren't locks either.  They miss all the time too.

3) For some reason many people are okay with a position player taking a year to develop (most other QB's too) but this board doesn't want to give Mariotta the time.   

Give me Cooper AND Fowler and this team still isn't winning anything without a QB.  If the QB is there you have to take him.

What if you don't think Mariotta is going to be good?

btw.. the guy from the OP raves about Winston

Archived