The New York Jets Linebacker problem

joewilly12

hi-res-b614768927cc0a6b3d1940dd1063c7d5_

By Joe Caporoso

March 3, 2015

An underrated need for the New York Jets is the linebacker position. Todd Bowles is likely to predominantly run a 3-4 defense with a multitude of other schemes mixed in but the cupboard is currently bare behind the Jets stout defensive line. Let’s look at how they got there, where they are now and how they can improve beginning with this off-season.

Under Rex Ryan, the linebacker position was not a priority in the NFL Draft. From 2009-2013, the team had 40 draft picks, a grand total of 3 were used on the linebacker position: Demario Davis in the 2011 3rd round, Jeremiah George in the 2014 5th round (he was cut before the season) and Trevor Reilly in the 2014 7th round. Quinton Coples was drafted as a defensive lineman, moved to linebacker, then moved back to a hybrid of the both. Coples has shown to be much more effective with his hand on the ground and that is likely where he will spend the majority of his time next year. In free agency, the Jets never spent big at the position after 2009 when they invested in Bart Scott. In 2010, they took a flier on Jason Taylor, which lasted one year. In 2011, they did the same with Aaron Maybin. In 2014, they did the same thing with Jason Babin. In the meantime, players like Danny Lansanah and Josh Mauga left the organization and found success elsewhere.

Currently, the Jets have Demario Davis at one inside linebacker position. Davis has received a good amount of hype the previous two summers but is yet to take the next step in his development. He is a relatively average starter who has produced a limited amount of impact plays while struggling in pass coverage. Has he hit his ceiling or will he improve under a new regime? Next to Davis, David Harris is a free agent. Considering the other holes on the roster and amount of competent reps Harris brings to the defense, it is hard to see the Jets not finding a way to bring him back, especially with their cap space. Harris is still a quality downhill, two down linebacker but has major limitations in pass coverage. Todd Bowles got a productive year out of 34 year old Larry Foote last season, so there is reason for optimism he can do the same with Harris, who is a superior and younger player.

Even if the Jets roll back with Davis and Harris as their starters, they need to improve their depth, versatility and long term outlook at the position. Brooks Reed could be a low cost addition who has experience inside and outside. In the NFL Draft, the Jets should consider a day two or day three pick on a developmental player to groom behind Harris. If for some reason Harris is not back, the Jets may look to a player like Brandon Spikes to fill the void.

On the outside, the Jets still have veterans Calvin Pace and Jason Babin on their roster along with last year’s seventh round pick Trevor Reilly. None of the three should project to being full time players in 2015. Reilly has the look of a core special teams player and depth option. Babin can be utilized on passing downs and Pace is a two down player at best by this point of his career. The Jets lack of speed overall at linebacker is a liability and it particularly stands out at outside linebacker. How valuable is Pace away from Rex Ryan’s defense and can the Jets really lean on him for 30-40 snaps per game now?

The Jets should aggressively be looking to improve their options on the outside through both free agency and the NFL Draft. An edge player should absolutely be in the mix with the sixth overall pick, whether that ends up being Dante Fowler, Vic Beasely, Randy Gregory or Shane Ray depending on how the board breaks. If the Jets go elsewhere in round one, it should be priority position on their mid round selections. In free agency, the Jets have the flexibility to be in play for top of the market options like Pernell McPhee, Jerry Hughes, Brandon Graham and Jason Worilds, along with potentially adding depth pieces like Sam Acho.

After this off-season, players like Pace, Babin and Reilly should be bubble roster players competing for a spot not locked in top options for major reps. The Jets must get to work on improving the second level of their defense and they have means to do it properly.

Reed is actually a guy I like a lot coming out of college and would be a fine addition as he has experience both inside and out, as mentioned.  Would not be surprised to see him land here, as it fills a need with a productive player and is someone whom the GM is familiar with. 

We for sure need to draft and or sign a top notch olb.  but we also need help inside.  Not sure what to think of Davis so far.  Harris, that will be interesting whether we keep him or let him walk.  I think he has losts steps but we should try and resign him anyway.

The key question is: Which 290 lbs. LB/DL coming out of college is capable of covering/jamming receivers?

Oh, wait, Rex got fired. Problem solved. I'm so thankful we'll never, ever, see Coples or Pace jam/cover receivers anymore.

LOL, love this.

We for sure need to draft and or sign a top notch olb.  but we also need help inside.  Not sure what to think of Davis so far.  Harris, that will be interesting whether we keep him or let him walk.  I think he has losts steps but we should try and resign him anyway.

I think this would be the year to draft those linebackers. It looks to be one of the strong groups this year.

The key question is: Which 290 lbs. LB/DL coming out of college is capable of covering/jamming receivers?

Oh, wait, Rex got fired. Problem solved. I'm so thankful we'll never, ever, see Coples or Pace jam/cover receivers anymore.

Remember when Rex did that with Adalius Thomas because all his corners were hurt and he was a genius for it?

Remember when Rex did that with Adalius Thomas because all his corners were hurt and he was a genius for it?

Genius. Really. Would you mind explaining to us what was so genius about it? You honestly think Tom Brady goes "oh no! They got their 300 pound DL on Amendola. Now we're screwed!"? It's the dumbest thing I've seen in football the last few years, a typical Rex Ryan invention. Taking your best pass rusher out for one play to just jam somebody so you can throw him off his route for half a second. How genius.

Rex was all about the WOW factor he did put together some nice defensive schemes in 2009-2010 to get us to 2 AFC Championship games but once teams prepared for them we were destroyed 

He did come in with some sweet game planning, but we have pretty good talent at all levels of our defense those 1st two years. Dude just could never replenish talent. I also think that there's a 90% chance that Rex goes defense with the Bills first pick in the draft. 

Genius. Really. Would you mind explaining to us what was so genius about it? You honestly think Tom Brady goes "oh no! They got their 300 pound DL on Amendola. Now we're screwed!"? It's the dumbest thing I've seen in football the last few years, a typical Rex Ryan invention. Taking your best pass rusher out for one play to just jam somebody so you can throw him off his route for half a second. How genius.

So you don't remember?

Sign Hawk to a cheap 1-year deal and draft a kid like McKinnie in round 2 or 3.

I like the Hawk idea if Harris is getting shown $6 million type money. If Harris can be had for $4-5 million for say 3 years, wouldn't you do that instead?

Pace will be a starter and can still play at a high level.  Maybe on passing downs IK or Babin takes his place as a pass rusher.  Pace is the kind of player you don't really miss until he's gone.

Agree that Coples should play with his hand in the dirt as much as possible as a 7 or 9 technique primarily rushing.

They need to add 1 OLB and 1 ILB at a minimum.  Davis had good sideline-to-sideline ability but lacks the size to be a true enforcer.  Harris is still a very good player, but you worry about his pass coverage abilities too.

We'll if he's late first he's realistically a target for us at 37

Or even 20 if we trade with Philly, but I doubt he will be there in the 3rd.  You guys like to throw out draft picks as starters, but it doesn't work out that way.  Even at such a limited position it is difficult to find instant starters.  The Jets failed with the boar hunter and Jeremiah George.  Demario Davis looks good to me now, but was basically useless as a rookie.  Minter was 45th overall and Bowles never really found a way to start him despite Dansby leaving and looking to push Foote out.

No. We are not supposed to spend all our money on shiny rims and expect a 5th rounder to start because "those guys are a dime a dozen"

Uh ok so you want to pay Harris $7 mil per season so he can get burnt like Eric Smith on passing downs?

Uh ok so you want to pay Harris $7 mil per season so he can get burnt like Eric Smith on passing downs?

No, but I don't expect to count on a draft pick.  They need a floor to start with.  Even a guy like Josh Mauga would be a significant upgrade over what they have now. Mario Harvey ran a 4.4 at 260 lbs, but has not shown any ability to play regularly.  Out of the names you have been dropping, McKinnie (who will preclude one of the other picks everybody is already counting as on roster) and AJ Hawk, (who pretty much sucks), are the only viable options I've heard

No, but I don't expect to count on a draft pick. They need a floor to start with. Even a guy like Josh Mauga would be a significant upgrade over what they have now. Mario Harvey ran a 4.4 at 260 lbs, but has not shown any ability to play regularly. Out of the names you have been dropping, McKinnie (who will preclude one of the other picks everybody is already counting as on roster) and AJ Hawk, (who pretty much sucks), are the only viable options I've heard

Hawk doesn't suck he had 90 tackles last season. Him and Harris are essentially same player now, good against the run and below average against the pass.

Yeah Harris had more tackles- the Jets D was in the field a helluva lot more than the Packers D.

Hawk doesn't suck he had 90 tackles last season. Him and Harris are essentially same player now, good against the run and below average against the pass.

Yeah Harris had more tackles- the Jets D was in the field a helluva lot more than the Packers D.

That is not how that works.  The Jets were 3rd in the league in snaps against behind only Seattle and Pittsburgh.  Green Bay was 8th worst, some 78 more snaps than the Jets.  LOL at tackles being the determining factor of good or bad.  Maybe they should try to coax Vilma out of retirement.  I admit I have no real insight on Hawk, other than that the Packers D is pretty weak, but if he is decent he will cost.

He did come in with some sweet game planning, but we have pretty good talent at all levels of our defense those 1st two years. Dude just could never replenish talent. I also think that there's a 90% chance that Rex goes defense with the Bills first pick in the draft. 

I prefer pass rush in Quarter 4, not the first half.  Teams adjusted to his blitzes.  That is what I liked about Parcells.  Guys were always coming in the fourth quarter.

That is not how that works. The Jets were 3rd in the league in snaps against behind only Seattle and Pittsburgh. Green Bay was 8th worst, some 78 more snaps than the Jets. LOL at tackles being the determining factor of good or bad. Maybe they should try to coax Vilma out of retirement. I admit I have no real insight on Hawk, other than that the Packers D is pretty weak, but if he is decent he will cost.

Thanks for proving my point. 78 more plays on defense is a significant number. Btw how are we supposed to evaluate inside linebackers - their good looks?

Hawk was garbage last year, he's the Dawan Landry of linebackers. David Harris is a great blitzer, he makes plays behind the line, he forces fumbles, creates turnovers and his tackles always are within like 2-3 yards I'd say, they actually mean something. Hawk's tackles always come like after 5 yards or something. He doesn't make any plays behind the line, he doesn't force turnovers either. He's got 2 turnovers in 4 years. That's pathetic for a guy who is not a force against the run. I mean Harris isn't exactly a playmaker either but he does the other things he needs to do well, really well (playing the run & blitzing).

Archived