Schefter: Bills Trade for Shady McCoy

CrazyCarl40

Can't wait until Rex signs Sanchez and you guys tell us all what a great move it is.

Adding Sanchez is never a great move, but he could outplay Manuel which makes it a smart move.  Any upgrade is worth making IMO.  That being said, I think the Bills go get Hoyer or somebody else who doesn't throw more pick-6's than TDs.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is a good trade for both teams.  But I also think that you have no idea how good Alonso is (pre injury of course) and what his upside for the Eagles will be.  Alonso was great in his rookie season.  McCoy is a great back, no doubt, and maybe the better half of the trade for the next year or two.  But 3 years down the road and beyond, I'd much rather have Alonso.  Excellent backs are just easier to find than excellent LBs, IMHO.

3 years down the road and beyond Kiko Alonso will be on a new contract.  He is signed for this year and next, but he is not yet ready to practice.  He says he will be ready for camp. 

Adding Sanchez is never a great move, but he could outplay Manuel which makes it a smart move. Any upgrade is worth making IMO. That being said, I think the Bills go get Hoyer or somebody else who doesn't throw more pick-6's than TDs.

Lateral move at best. Anyone who thought Rex was a good hire cites the fact that he was stuck with Sanchez. If he then goes out and gets Sanchez, that excuse goes up in flames.

Not if we gave up Mo or Sheldon to do it.

Why not? Many felt Kiko was the true ROY. 

here is a quick lesson for you guys. apples are red and crunchy. oranges are orange and come with a peel. they are not to be compared

RBs shelf lives are short, and I would never pay one what McCoy is scheduled to make. It's why I have no interest in Spiller or Murray, either.

agreed. running back is a position best acquired in rounds 3-6 of the draft. cheap and hungry. wear them out for 4 years, let them walk in the contract year, draft another. rinse. repeat

Lateral move at best. Anyone who thought Rex was a good hire cites the fact that he was stuck with Sanchez. If he then goes out and gets Sanchez, that excuse goes up in flames.

Lol.

THIS IS A MAN WITH A MISSION, PEOPLE!

Might be lateral and that's why I said Sanchez MIGHT outplay EJ.  Let's  face it, any team, Jets and Bills included, who need a QB are screwed.  Guys who should be 2nd/3rd stringers are going to get a chance to compete for a starting job...Sanchez included.  Can you really slam any head coach for going with Sanchez over Jake Locker or Hoyer?  They're all meh. 

Might be lateral and that's why I said Sanchez MIGHT outplay EJ. Let's face it, any team, Jets and Bills included, who need a QB are screwed. Guys who should be 2nd/3rd stringers are going to get a chance to compete for a starting job...Sanchez included. Can you really slam any head coach for going with Sanchez over Jake Locker or Hoyer? They're all meh.

Just from an optics standpoint, the Bills need to not sign Sanchez. The first three moves of the Ryan regime will have been 1. Sign and overpay) Richie Incognito, 2. Trade for 27 y/o RB with a ton of mileage who costs $12 mil this year, and 3. Sign the QB to whom most attribute a great bulk to Ryan's failure with the Jets.

Excellent move for the Bills.  They want a work horse RB and they have one.  It changes nothing about my opinion on what it is going to happen down there with Rex at the helm but the Bills are better today for it.  McCoy was showing a few signs of slowing down last year but he's still a good back.

As for Kelly, at least he is doing it the right way.  Either win or fail doing it your own way.

Just from an optics standpoint, the Bills need to not sign Sanchez. The first three moves of the Ryan regime will have been 1. Sign and overpay) Richie Incognito, 2. Trade for 27 y/o RB with a ton of mileage who costs $12 mil this year, and 3. Sign the QB to whom most attribute a great bulk to Ryan's failure with the Jets.

- Incognito didn't get much money from what I heard and he's not a bad player so that move doesn't seem to be great or terrible to me.  Got a solid vet for the price of a solid vet.

- McCoy has a lot of miles and over the long term Philly will get the better end of that deal.  However, if Rex splits carries between McCoy and Jackson it could lighten the load on McCoy.  He wants to make a splash early on and w/o a QB, he's gonna need great RB's.  Only head-scratcher is the price tag...that's crazy for a RB in 2015.

- If I were them I'd go with Hoyer over Sanchez but at least a FO can look at Sanchez and see that he has played reasonably well in the post season which could give him a slight edge.  I wouldn't want him though.

The Bills don't need a back, they need to fix their O-Line. McCoy isn't going to help them too much. I doubt he'll do much better than Spiller did last year. Their O-Line is just flat out horrible. You don't improve your running game by adding running backs. That's like trying to get the QB to throw a better ball by trading for a WR. It's two totally different issues. They should have traded for a good lineman instead, and then re-sign Spiller, maybe bring in a couple more linemen via FA/Draft and there you go.

The Bills don't need a back, they need to fix their O-Line. McCoy isn't going to help them too much. I doubt he'll do much better than Spiller did last year. Their O-Line is just flat out horrible. You don't improve your running game by adding running backs. That's like trying to get the QB to throw a better ball by trading for a WR. It's two totally different issues. They should have traded for a good lineman instead, and then re-sign Spiller, maybe bring in a couple more linemen via FA/Draft and there you go.

Incognito is solid, early 30's and just had a season to get some rest.  He'll help their run game if he hasn't lost his mind.

This is not true. Most of Rex's biggest fans also fully supported Sanchez. :)

Baldinger on NFL Network just said that the eagle will be major players in the Secondary Position Free Agent Market. He said they will spend their 40million on the secondary going after Maxwell, Revis and McCourtey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baldinger on NFL Network just said that the eagle will be major players in the Secondary Position Free Agent Market. said they will spend their 40million on the secondary going after Maxwell, Revis and McCourtey.

Yup...their secondary was atrocious last season.  Big bidding in a week....gonna' be crazy money being thrown around.

Baldinger on NFL Network just said that the eagle will be major players in the Secondary Position Free Agent Market. He said they will spend their 40million on the secondary going after Maxwell, Revis and McCourtey.

I seen that but no GM doesn't gut there secondary with out being major players in free agency or less they name is Idzik

Why do people keep saying he will cost the Bills $11M, or even $12M, this year?

First off, it's $10M.  Amortized bonus money only affects Philadelphia's cap. Buffalo didn't pay McCoy's bonus money so that doesn't touch their cap. Only money to be paid by Buffalo will count against Buffalo's cap.

Second, the NFL's cap is not a hard cap. He has 3 years $25M remaining on his contract. It's ~$8M per season if not renegotiated. The higher amount allocated for this season is only a factor if they need more space this season.

Just like the Jets are going to front-load some contracts because this year they have cap space. The more this player counts on this year's cap, the less he counts on future years' caps. So if McCoy counts the full $10M this year, then it's an average of $7.5M the following 2 years (in actuality it's $6.9M on 2016's $153M cap and $7.6M on the $160M (+/- $5M) cap. If the Bills need to sign someone new and find themselves lacking in 2015 cap space, then they can let that player's numbers hit the cap more in 2016 and beyond. If not, then their strategy is unchanged. In actuality, it will be the latter. Their top 51, before McCoy, is in the $115M range and I don't know how much they're carrying over from 2014. They have plenty of space for someone they view as a game-changer.

Frankly I'm not that thrilled about this. IMO McCoy will be much more of an impact player on the Bills' season than Alonso would have been.  Most RB's are dime a dozen types. Some are special. In recent years there's been Lynch and Peterson and not too many others. If one classifies McCoy in this "different level than others" category, then it's good for a team with no QB and a strong D. 

Also, without touching McCoy's contract, the Bills could drop the "net" cap change down over $2M more by cutting 34 year old Fred Jackson.

All this is still a big "if" so far, though. The trade isn't a done deal. If McCoy doesn't calm down about the prospects of being shuffled off to Buffalo, then the Bills will back out of the trade (which doesn't go into effect for almost another week).

If McCoy continues his freak-out, and Buffalo nixes the trade, what is Philadelphia going to do with him? They're not going to get the same value in return from another team willing to take on his contract, that they're getting from Buffalo, now that the cat's out of the bag.  He's going to (understandably) be a pretty miserable teammate for Kelly, and McCoy is all too aware this is who wanted him off the Eagles this year. 

We all can see a lot of the reason for this (if not the reason for it) was a salary dump. McCoy, like other players, isn't likely to look at it that way. All he's going to see is that his HC tried to trade him for a linebacker with 1 year of experience, who missed all of last year with a serious injury. Given McCoy's past comments about a prior Eagles controversy, it might even get racial (keeping Riley Cooper and dumping pro bowl Jackson for nothing; a year later Kelly's dumping pro bowl/all-pro McCoy for Alonso who once almost won DROY and hasn't played a down since then). One doesn't knows how McCoy may partially interpret it, however few people may see it that way.

Regardless, if this doesn't go through then Philadelphia could have a $12M major headache on their hands. We'll see how this unfolds within days (maybe even today), but if Buffalo backs out of the deal then Kelly may have to cut him outright like he did with DeSean Jackson a year earlier. 

:drama:

Just read a report on Deadspin that McCoy is not happy with the trade.  Wants a contract extension with a lot of guaranteed $$$.  Already threatening a holdout.  This is why Philly made the move.    Apparently, he's been quietly on the trade block for a while.  Alonso may have been the best deal available for all we know.

^Nerd

Everyone is a relative nerd when compared to, "OMG Leshawnns gonna cost bufillo $12 kajillion hahahawrexdumbass!"

If he's willing to live in freaking Buffalo it's a good trade for both teams. Buffalo has plenty of cap space and this won't prevent them from doing anything they otherwise would. The Eagles, however, do need cap space and they need it now. Few (if any outside the Ryan household) think Rex is able to scheme an offense around a poor running game the way Kelly might have to (if Kelly needs to at all).

Kelly's defense is on the field more than any other NFL team's D. Also they suck. He could use a good, young, cheap defensive player in the worst way.

Likewise, the Bills could use a stud veteran RB worse than most teams. Solid defense, and the best RB under contract just turned 34. Sure they could draft one, and it may even be a better move for them. But they don't have a 1st round pick so they may not want to burn a pick on a maybe when they need a sure thing at the position.

To me, the biggest controversy in the whole thing are Eagles fans who love a star player of theirs, and in McCoy, who doesn't want to move to QB-less Buffalo. (Who does, really, with or without Ryan? If I was going to be dumped, I'd rather get traded to a team with a QB, or at least someplace warm, than someplace famous for record snowfalls who only has EJ Manuel now and maybe even Mark Sanchez soon.)

I don't think so. I don't think the Bills players will be as snowed by Rex as the 2009 Jets or their fans were. They ritually kicked the sh*t out of him the past three times, so he can't go into that locker room beating his chest about Super Bowls, and the only other motivational tactic he has is telling guys he's about to get fired. I think they're in for a rough stretch here.

well Rex can use the Idziot card and claim his hands were tied... he had Jets players believing that too - even tho he was in the room for all decision reportedly 

Archived