CJ Spiller "Trade Reaction" on NFL Network.

Villain The Foe

If after we've rebuilt our seconday and offensive line, and subsequently added talent at WR and OLB, there is money left over... you can have him. So long as we draft a RB too. :)

I agree that this is the year that we should be drafting a RB. If we get Spiller thats cool too, but we need to draft a RB. I dont want to see Bilal Powell again, and not because I dislike him, but if a guy is only going to get 19 touches a year then let the guy find opportunity elsewhere and bring in a guy you can actually use. 

I agree that this is the year that we should be drafting a RB. If we get Spiller thats cool too, but we need to draft a RB. I dont want to see Bilal Powell again, and not because I dislike him, but if a guy is only going to get 19 touches a year then let the guy find opportunity elsewhere and bring in a guy you can actually use. 

In a perfect world, we have a RB depth chart that looks like this: Roooookie beast, Ivory, Spiller

And somehow that happens while the rest of the holes are being plugged with more beastly beasts.

In a perfect world, we have a RB depth chart that looks like this: Roooookie beast, Ivory, Spiller

And somehow that happens while the rest of the holes are being plugged with more beastly beasts.

Ameer Abdullah. You get him and Spiller who can really give you mismatches in the passing game and can be dynamic in the run game and you have Ivory as your Marshawn Lynch "lite". People dont talk about it enough, I wouldnt want to tackle Chris Ivory. 

If after we've rebuilt our seconday and offensive line, and subsequently added talent at WR and OLB, there is money left over... you can have him. So long as we draft a RB too. :)

Why do you want to draft a RB?

because a really good RB can be a catalyst for an offense. He can be a run threat , he can be a pass protector and he can be a check down option for the QB, Screen Option. Look at what great backs can do for an offense  Marshall Faulk.... the Early days of Curtis Martin jump started the Jets. Matt Forte... Jamal Charles ..... If we can draft a young one with those type abilities this offense transforms over night. 

Ameer Abdullah. You get him and Spiller who can really give you mismatches in the passing game and can be dynamic in the run game and you have Ivory as your Marshawn Lynch "lite". People dont talk about it enough, I wouldnt want to tackle Chris Ivory. 

But he is a fumbling machine......

Draft is loaded with good ones. The ROI of a drafted RB is so much higher than a veteran FA contract.

The FA options are known commodities. I want us to have higher goals.

Spend cap rebuilding OL, secondary and pass rush.

Enough reasons, yeah?

But he is a fumbling machine......

So was Tiki Barber, look what happened once they taught him to hold the ball at a 45 degree angle. As a Jets fan it was great watching Tiki Barber. The only Giant in recent memory that I can say was a joy to watch. Odell Beckham is becoming another. 

Draft is loaded with good ones. The ROI of a drafted RB is so much higher than a veteran FA contract.

The FA options are known commodities. I want us to have higher goals.

Spend cap rebuilding OL, secondary and pass rush.

Enough reasons, yeah?

I'm cool with this.  But signing Spiller still just makes too much sense if a goal is to have as few holes as possible heading into the draft.  It doesn't preclude us from drafting one of your stud RB's either.  With Ivory's running style/injury history, and the short shelf-life of RB's in general, you really can never have too many.  Just look at how many the 49ers have been drafting over the years waiting for Frank Gore's head to finally die.

I'm cool with this. But signing Spiller still just makes too much sense if a goal is to have as few holes as possible heading into the draft. It doesn't preclude us from drafting one of your stud RB's either. With Ivory's running style/injury history, and the short shelf-life of RB's in general, you really can never have too many. Just look at how many the 49ers have been drafting over the years waiting for Frank Gore's head to finally die.

Cap should go towards important needs. OL and secondary.

Spiller signing is okay, but not the priority some insist it is. RBs can be had in draft. The more the merrier. My logic is all about ROI.

Gailey got a level of play out of Spiller that other coached didn't. I'd trust him to do the same with a rookie.

#EliteTalentBeggingForAJob

Lol, he's a free agent.

I guess Suh is begging for a job, too.

Not at all comparing the players or saying their impactfulness is even in the same stratosphere, but that's quite a strange way of looking at a free agent. Powell is begging for a job, too, right?

Spiller signing is okay, but not the priority some insist it is. RBs can be had in draft. The more the merrier. My logic is all about ROI.

Gailey got a level of play out of Spiller that other coached didn't. I'd trust him to do the same with a rookie.

Yes.

Expensive RBs are a luxury the Jets don't need. The Jets need secondary help desperately. They need WR help, LB help, OL help. If they can retain Powell on the cheap as a #3/potential third down back, and then draft a RB they hope/expect to displace him or even Ivory, the team will be in fine shape at the position.

I agree with you on Gailey, too. People should be excited that he got a lot out of players that other coaches didn't get. He got a career year out of Kordell Stewart, maybe he can get something out of Geno. He got a career year out of Spiller, maybe he can get that out of Ivory, Powell, or a rookie.

Yes.

Expensive RBs are a luxury the Jets don't need. The Jets need secondary help desperately. They need WR help, LB help, OL help. If they can retain Powell on the cheap as a #3/potential third down back, and then draft a RB they hope/expect to displace him or even Ivory, the team will be in fine shape at the position.

I agree with you on Gailey, too. People should be excited that he got a lot out of players that other coaches didn't get. He got a career year out of Kordell Stewart, maybe he can get something out of Geno. He got a career year out of Spiller, maybe he can get that out of Ivory, Powell, or a rookie.

Great post.  agree 100%.  I have a dream of a trade down that enables the Jets to get one of the top WRs, Gordon and an OLB in the first two rounds.  

RBs are nice and all that, but in my 55th year of watching NFL football, the Off Line dictates greatness of a RB in many cases.

Bolster Jets via draft/FA/trades to Top 10 OL's in league and good RBs become ProBowl material., great RBs become superstars.

Great post.  agree 100%.  I have a dream of a trade down that enables the Jets to get one of the top WRs, Gordon and an OLB in the first two rounds.

I would love to see the Jets trade down in this draft. I think they could slide all the way down to #12, and still be looking at a player or two they would've considered at #6. Problem is, I suspect a lot of other teams feel the same way about this year's crop.

as always, talking about trading down in round one is a lot easier than actually finding a willing trade-up partner.  Most years it's just a pipe dream.  

All I can say is: Make it happen McCagsy!

Never said it was a priority.  Just seems to make sense as an ancillary signing.  I suppose given that skill players get more attention than other spots on the field people seem to be treating it like it would be a high priority, splashy move.  It's not.

as always, talking about trading down in round one is a lot easier than actually finding a willing trade-up partner.  Most years it's just a pipe dream.  

All I can say is: Make it happen McCagsy!

Especially at the # 6 pick rather than a top 3 spot.  Thanks Rex!

Yes.

It's amazingly simple logic. I'm sort of stunned that some people have chosen to make it a point of argument, but whatever... Jet fans.

Never said it was a priority.  Just seems to make sense as an ancillary signing.  I suppose given that skill players get more attention than other spots on the field people seem to be treating it like it would be a high priority, splashy move.  It's not.

Yeah, others have. I myself have said numerous times, sign him if you get around to it, after spending the money on higher priorities and don't for one second hesitate to draft a RB from this draft class, just because you Gailey Spiller ZOMG!

The dopey ass fans that post here take that to mean I don't want the team to improve, because recreating the Bills offense from a couple of years ago is a sure-fire path to success, as opposed to what I've advocated which is rebuilding the OL and secondary via FA, signing a WR, then drafting a RB from a loaded class as a means of ensuring we add more playmakers along with fixing the gaping problems with the roster.

Yeah, others have. I myself have said numerous times, sign him if you get around to it, after spending the money on higher priorities and don't for one second hesitate to draft a RB from this draft class, just because you Gailey Spiller ZOMG!

The dopey ass fans that post here take that to mean I don't want the team to improve, because recreating the Bills offense from a couple of years ago is a sure-fire path to success, as opposed to what I've advocated which is rebuilding the OL and secondary via FA, signing a WR, then drafting a RB from a loaded class as a means of ensuring we add more playmakers along with fixing the gaping problems with the roster.

I agree recreating a failed Bills offense is the last thing I want to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haven't seen anyone label this a priority. We're talking about a change of pace back on a team coming off a 4-12 season. Obviously, no one is asking the Jets to show up at Spiller's house at midnight.

Haven't seen anyone label this a priority. We're talking about a change of pace back on a team coming off a 4-12 season. Obviously, no one is asking the Jets to show up at Spiller's house at midnight.

Yeah, okay.

Archived