What's Your Thoughts on Chip Kelly's Moves Over The Years?

Villain The Foe

2 years ago the Eagles were known for having a few guys as the face of their franchise. That was Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin and Lesean McCoy on offense, and Trent Cole on defense.. 

As of today, Chip has released Desean Jackson and allowed him to ultimately go to a division rival. The Eagles decided not to tag Jeremy Maclin this offseason and he's currently facing free agency, they cut Trent Cole after playing 10 years for Philly and is 2nd only to Reggie White in career sacks as an Eagle and they just traded Shady McCoy to the Buffalo Bills. 

How in the world does a 3rd year coach get complete control of a team, release or trade the faces of the entire franchise which includes pro bowl and all-pro players and no one at least questions this? 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The man has produced results.

But what is significant about him thus far, and as Jets fans we would kill for this, is that his system has proven to surpass the requirement of having a STUD QB to score points and win games. He did it with Foles. Sanchez exceeded what anyone thought he could accomplish as a 3rd string QB.

He just traded their STUD RB, and WE ALL KNOW that he will just pluck someone and that player will most likely also produce for them to win. Until it blows up in his face, he's their messiah.

A division title 1st year, insane results considering the circumstances in year 2; one can even make the argument their 3rd string QB pulled a classic Sanchez preventing that team from fully realizing their true potential

Chip has a plan and no "name" no matter how bright will stop him from instituting his plan.  I like what Chips doing, we'll see if it works out in the end but I love the balls he has.  Every player is replaceable on his team.

The really good coaches don't care who they cut.  Press and fan reactions are meaningless to them.  The ones with rabbit ears are usually mediocre.

IDK, but they won 10 games with Foles/Sanchez and a crappy defense. So, I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, until it blows up. 

Chip has a plan and no "name" no matter how bright will stop him from instituting his plan.  I like what Chips doing, we'll see if it works out in the end but I love the balls he has.  Every player is replaceable on his team.

I absolutely love that he has the balls to defy conventional wisdom.  It's awesome and it's going to work.

But what is significant about him thus far, and as Jets fans we would kill for this, is that his system has proven to surpass the requirement of having a STUD QB to score points and win games. He did it with Foles. Sanchez exceeded what anyone thought he could accomplish as a 3rd string QB.

He just traded their STUD RB, and WE ALL KNOW that he will just pluck someone and that player will most likely also produce for them to win. Until it blows up in his face, he's their messiah.

A division title 1st year, insane results considering the circumstances in year 2; one can even make the argument their 3rd string QB pulled a classic Sanchez preventing that team from fully realizing their true potential

The really good coaches don't care who they cut.  Press and fan reactions are meaningless to them.  The ones with rabbit ears are usually mediocre.

I agree that Chip definitely has a plan, just never seen a coach just get get rid of probowl/all pro talent. I didnt even mention Nick Foles in the conversation. This is a guy who played out of his mind that first year made it to the pro bowl and was even pro bowl MVP. Granted, his 2nd year was no where near his first but he was on pace to throw 4,300 yards, 26TD's and 20INT's. Granted, the INT's are inflated, but they were deflated the year prior so maybe he flattens out somewhere around 13 INT's in the future. The point being, Chip better be right because I personally never seen a coach do anything like this. And I dont mean give him credit because he won 10 games and missed the playoffs, because people are calling that success, im talking about making it to the playoffs and making a serious run for the title. Anything less than that will make this a mistake. 

really don't get the rush to hurl such accolades.. Wrecks first 2 years were better then Chips, and we know how that turned out. As a fan base were already lauding Mac and Bowles as some kind of saviors, this after getting burnt by calling Mangina Mangenuis. You'd think collectively we' learn to take a more cautious approach to broad declarations.

also note you contradicted yourself between the second and last sentances

Wrecks first 2 years were better then Chips

Kelly didn't have the luxury of two teams sitting all their starters to barely back into the playoffs.

He took a 4-12 team and in one year, won the division and had a home playoff game.

In 6 years, Wrecks couldn't sniff a divisional title and a home playoff game.

Kelly didn't have the luxury of two teams sitting all their starters to barely back into the playoffs.

He took a 4-12 team and in one year, won the division and had a home playoff game.

How'd Chip do in the playoffs?

I like some things about what Chip does, but history isn't on his side.  We've seen these no-huddle/up-tempo offenses before and it seems that they do well eary on, and then their defense is spent late in the season and they can't stop anyone. 

Even with the season Foles had two years ago, they went to the post-season and got steamrolled by the Saints running game.  When your own players are complaining about  fatigue at the mid-way point of the season when you're winning games it isn't a good thing.

And just like Rex, Chip has a team in the division with a top 2 QB of all time (and a sh*tty coach) thats had a stranglehold on the division for 15 years. It's exactly the same, good comparison

Steve Spurrier part II.

He will be out of the league in 2 years.

I actually think Chip is thinking long term.  If he really is going to make a move for Mariotta - he knows they're not winning anything this year anyway.  Shady is done in two years - so load up on young talent and be prepared to make a run in Mariotta's 3rd year.

Funny.  I am not a fan of Kelly as a pro coach, but I don't find anything too crazy about his moves.  Salary dump.  Big whoop.  Move the malcontents so they don't poison your pool.  Let the name players walk.  It has been happening since the start.  Bavaro on the Eagles.  Klecko on the Colts.  Nothing shocking. I don't see why they would tag Maclin.  Maclin is a very nice piece, but not at $13M.

Yea, 2 playoff wins and nothing to show for it.

Kelly did a much better coaching job his first two years then Wrecks did.

Much better job...far worse results...sure, that makes sense.

What scares me is this....can you win a Super Bowl with that offense?  Has it been done?  Like when they are up by 14 in the 3rd quarter and still running as many plays as possible, that scares me. I am not saying get away from the no huddle. But waste a little time.

Unless he gets his boy Mariota I can see things falling apart for him. Cowboys are still the best NFC East team, giants will be good again next year even the Skins might figure it out once they get rid of the cancer RG3.

Nick Foles got exposed last year. Kelly knows this.

Yea, 2 playoff wins and nothing to show for it.

Kelly did a much better coaching job his first two years then Wrecks did.

I am all for blasting Rex. But this statement just isn't true.

What scares me is this....can you win a Super Bowl with that offense?  Has it been done?  Like when they are up by 14 in the 3rd quarter and still running as many plays as possible, that scares me. I am not saying get away from the no huddle. But waste a little time.

You bring up real good points.

I too will be interested to see if Kelly's offense can be sustainable in the NFL.

Defenses tend to figure out gimmicky offenses over time.

Unless he gets his boy Mariota I can see things falling apart for him. Cowboys are still the best NFC East team, giants will be good again next year even the Skins might figure it out once they get rid of the cancer RG3.

Nick Foles got exposed last year. Kelly knows this.

I agree with all of that expect the Foles part.  While he's not ideal for Chip's offense, he did regress but would that surprise anyone if you took away a QB's top playmaking WR and had injuries and suspensions on the O-line causing breakdowns in protection and an inconsistent run game?

Foles isn't the guy he was last year or the guy he was two years ago IMO..probably somewhere in between.

You bring up real good points.

I too will be interested to see if Kelly's offense can be sustainable in the NFL.

Defenses tend to figure out gimmicky offenses over time.

I was amazed when Parcells led the Giants over the Buffalo Bills. The Bills seemed like a much better team. Time of possession was born that day...sure the game has changed but right now I consider this the modern day run and shoot.

Why do you guys bother responding to Tx?

I rarely do...this may be the most I've said to him in a decade.  It's not anything personal, but only has an interest in legit discussions 5% of the time or so.

I was amazed when Parcells led the Giants over the Buffalo Bills. The Bills seemed like a much better team. Time of possession was born that day...sure the game has changed but right now I consider this the modern day run and shoot.

Yep..I compare them to the old Bills and Oilers teams that led to Buddy Ryan attacking Kevin Gilbride for keeping Buddy's defense on the field for 40 minutes a game.

Archived