What's Your Thoughts on Chip Kelly's Moves Over The Years?

Villain The Foe

I rarely do...this may be the most I've said to him in a decade. It's not anything personal, but only has an interest in legit discussions 5% of the time or so.

The kid just makes retarded comments and acts like he is the Pope of football because he's a fair weather pats fan. Who cares

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kid just makes retarded comments and acts like he is the Pope of football because he's a fair weather pats fan. Who cares

Just stirring the pot and it can be entertaining from time to time.  Brings some knowledge when he feels like it.

What scares me is this....can you win a Super Bowl with that offense? Has it been done? Like when they are up by 14 in the 3rd quarter and still running as many plays as possible, that scares me. I am not saying get away from the no huddle. But waste a little time.

I think this type of football is what Goodell wants. The rules have been altered to favor offensive production. The only thing to slow down Kelly's style is the lethargic review process & constant flags being thrown every 2-3 plays for a 5yard illegal contact.

Kelly may be the modern day Steve Spurrier. Gimmicky O DESTROYS college teams, but the style may not translate into sustained NFL success

I think this type of football is what Goodell wants. The rules have been altered to favor offensive production. The only thing to slow down Kelly's style is the lethargic review process & constant flags being thrown every 2-3 plays for a 5yard illegal contact

Good point, the NFL definitely wants exciting offenses. I am just not sure you can win it all with this style.

My son's team in college plays in the exact offense. It is so much fun to watch. When things are going great it is unstoppable. But man when the momentum stops it is so difficult. 

You bring up real good points.

I too will be interested to see if Kelly's offense can be sustainable in the NFL.

Defenses tend to figure out gimmicky offenses over time.

YEs, like when Belicheat showed everyone how NOT to defend the wildcat in 08.. Did Ronnie Brown have a triple double that day?

Have you read any of Tx's post, making sense isn't exactly his wheelhouse

I know...and I very rarely take the bait, but that was some of his worst work so I couldn't resist.

Message board poster suggests ludicrous things = creative iconoclast

NFL coach with a reputation for unorthodox thinking makes the totally standard move of getting rid of guys too early instead of too late = WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN

MIKE GLENNON IS A SAINT. YOU HEAR ME? MIKE GLENNON IS A SAINT!!

I agree that Chip definitely has a plan, just never seen a coach just get get rid of probowl/all pro talent. I didnt even mention Nick Foles in the conversation. This is a guy who played out of his mind that first year made it to the pro bowl and was even pro bowl MVP. Granted, his 2nd year was no where near his first but he was on pace to throw 4,300 yards, 26TD's and 20INT's. Granted, the INT's are inflated, but they were deflated the year prior so maybe he flattens out somewhere around 13 INT's in the future. The point being, Chip better be right because I personally never seen a coach do anything like this. And I dont mean give him credit because he won 10 games and missed the playoffs, because people are calling that success, im talking about making it to the playoffs and making a serious run for the title. Anything less than that will make this a mistake. 

I guess if you want to do it your way you might as well try doing it with your guys.  He has a fallback.  He can make a fortune going back to college.

most of these comments are talking about his offense, and yes chip kelly is an offensive genius. the problem with last year's eagles was actually their D, specifically can't cover and not being able to stop the run.

chip doesnt need shady, he can plug and play another rb (like sproles or polk) and be just fine.  Rex doesn't need alonso he can find another Lb and be just fine. 

can kelly field a competent defense, thats the question. kelly is like the anti rex thats why these guys made this trade.

most of these comments are talking about his offense, and yes chip kelly is an offensive genius. the problem with last year's eagles was actually their D, specifically can't cover and not being able to stop the run.

chip doesnt need shady, he can plug and play another rb (like sproles or polk) and be just fine.  Rex doesn't need alonso he can find another Lb and be just fine. 

can kelly field a competent defense, thats the question. kelly is like the anti rex thats why these guys made this trade.

And now they'll have close to $60 million to spend on that defense if/when they let Demeco Ryans go. 

it seems like everyone has 60 million to spend, which means there won't be a supply enough to go around

Unless they're willing to grossly overpay which I think Chip will do.  He has no CB's and his safeties aren't very good.  $50 million to buy a secondary and trade as many picks as he has to in order to get Mariota.

Unless they're willing to grossly overpay which I think Chip will do.  He has no CB's and his safeties aren't very good.  $50 million to buy a secondary and trade as many picks as he has to in order to get Mariota.

And no LBs. They relied on Trent Cole for a pass rush, they no longer have that. 

They have greater needs than what you just point out

And no LBs. They relied on Trent Cole for a pass rush, they no longer have that. 

They have greeter needs than what you just point out

They  have plenty of needs but I don't see any being more pressing than DB's.  The ones they had were terrible last season and they don't even have them anymore.  Facing Dez/Beckham/Cruz/DJax/Garcon is gonna' be a tall order with no DB's.  We'll see, but I think he overwhelms some FA corners with huge money.

They beat Indy last year also, early. They did beat a Rodgers-less Packer team.

I am still interested to see what Chip can do.

Yeah... a win is a win but they got a HUGE call late in the game that locked up the Indy win so even with that...two wins against good teams in two years and one post-season a** kicking.

They  have plenty of needs but I don't see any being more pressing than DB's.  The ones they had were terrible last season and they don't even have them anymore.  Facing Dez/Beckham/Cruz/DJax/Garcon is gonna' be a tall order with no DB's.  We'll see, but I think he overwhelms some FA corners with huge money.

Yup, it will be interesting to see what he does.

BUT, will defensive players want to play for him, knowing that they will be exposed on the field for more plays? Also, players were quietly griping that Chip practices too hard.

Money always talks, but there are downsides to playing D on the Eagles.

BUT, will defensive players want to play for him, knowing that they will be exposed on the field for more plays? Also, players were quietly griping that Chip practices too hard.

The reasons you list are the exact reasons I think he'll overpay.  If he comes up with "competitive offers" I think a lot of defensive players will tell him to take a hike.  Offer a few extra million or just more guaranteed money could change their minds.

Isn't that why they dumped McCoy? 

Agreed. I do not understand why selling high would ever be considered this insane, especially when it may be the most replaceable position on offense. Does McCoy still have a year or two left? Probably. But when that time is up you are not getting sh*t for him. Might as well fill a need. And did they ever.

bill-belichick-pats-033jpg-8a0628d9f14ec

Not in the fashion that Chip is doing it. Belichick would get rid of a Richard Seymour for a 1st rounder right when he begins his decline from his prime. Chip traded a 26 year old Lesean McCoy, letting a 26 yr old Maclin hit FA, released a 27 year old Desean Jackson and is probably going to trade a 26 year old Nick Foles. 

This. Dude is pushing at least 85, surely living a life of loneliness, death on the horizon.

Plus, he obviously didn't go to law school.

Too busy to go to law school. Needs time to post on jet fan websites even though she's a New England fan

Not in the fashion that Chip is doing it. Belichick would get rid of a Richard Seymour for a 1st rounder right when he begins his decline from his prime. Chip traded a 26 year old Lesean McCoy, letting a 26 yr old Maclin hit FA, released a 27 year old Desean Jackson and is probably going to trade a 26 year old Nick Foles.

Foles - peaked two years ago, will never come close to that type of season again

Maclin - will either resign or upgrade

McCoy - replaceable

Desean - the two just didn't get along

Archived