What's Your Thoughts on Chip Kelly's Moves Over The Years?

Villain The Foe

Foles - peaked two years ago, will never come close to that type of season again

Maclin - will either resign or upgrade

McCoy - replaceable

Desean - the two just didn't get along

Foles was on track to throw for over 4,300 yards and 26TD's this season. As of now, Maclin is a free agent. McCoy was an MVP candidate last year and one of the best RB's in the league this year, he's as replaceable as Bilal Powell is for the Jets. People keep saying we can replace him but it never gets done. Desean must have loved that week 16 win against the Eagles to knock them from playoff contention. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foles was on track to throw for over 4,300 yards and 26TD's this season. As of now, Maclin is a free agent. McCoy was an MVP candidate last year and one of the best RB's in the league this year, he's as replaceable as Bilal Powell is for the Jets. People keep saying we can replace him but it never gets done. Desean must have loved that week 16 win against the Eagles to knock them from playoff contention.

Any starting qb can make stats in today's nfl. Mark Sanchez threw for 3,400 yards and 23 tds in 2011 and he didn't play in Kelly's offense. Foles sucks

I saw plenty of McCoy last season. He's a nice player but you guys overrate the sh-t out of him.

Any starting qb can make stats in today's nfl. Mark Sanchez threw for 3,400 yards and 23 tds in 2011 and he didn't play in Kelly's offense. Foles sucks

I saw plenty of McCoy last season. He's a nice player but you guys overrate the sh-t out of him.

He just compared him to Bilal Powell.  He is underrating him

Here's a thumbs up from Geno about making those stats. 

Geno-12.jpg

And the last time I checked, 4,300 isn't 3,400 yards. that would be off by damn near a thousand. This has nothing to do about what you think of Foles, the numbers are the numbers. Maybe Foles would suck on another team, but with the eagles he can potentially throw for elite passing yards. If any starter in the NFL can throw up numbers like that so easily then WTF is wrong with Geno? And dont tell me he sucks, because obviously if you suck (Nick Foles) you should be able to put up these numbers. 

I think he will actually end up looking like a winner with the McCoy trade, the reasoning is I believe last year they were looking to trade for Spiller and the Bills wouldn't make a trade, this year they get rid of McCoy (who they really didn't use successfully anyway) and they ensure that Spiller will hit free agency without worrying that he will take a hometown discount or something. I predict he signs with the Eagles within the first week of free agency and if that happens than Kelly gets two players he wanted while at the same time dumping a player who he didn't want without having to take a cap hit. Just a theory but we will see what happens next week.

Not in the fashion that Chip is doing it. Belichick would get rid of a Richard Seymour for a 1st rounder right when he begins his decline from his prime. Chip traded a 26 year old Lesean McCoy, letting a 26 yr old Maclin hit FA, released a 27 year old Desean Jackson and is probably going to trade a 26 year old Nick Foles. 

Belichick let go of Lawyer Milloy when he was coming off back to back pro-bowl seasons. In recent years, he let go of Welker after 6 straight 1000 yard, 100 catch seasons. The Mankins trade got a ton of criticism last year, and that was another key pro-bowl caliber player.

McCoy has been in the league since 2009. One could argue that his best years are behind him, he had a pretty average season. RBs have a short life-time, and this year's draft class has the best RBs we've seen since 2008. The RB position isn't as valuable as it used to be, and getting Kiko Alonso addresses a huge need on defense.

I don't see a whole lot wrong with what he is doing

Philly fans were so sick of Andy Reid that Chip Kelly could be a successful hire just by being there. Good coach, but somewhat overrated...Philly had a complete meltdown last year.

How is he overrated?

He took over a 4-12 team and went 10-6 two years in a row.

If the Eagles don't drop that week 16 game at Washington, they go 11-5 and win the NFCE for the second straight year.

That's some complete meltdown.

Belichick let go of Lawyer Milloy when he was coming off back to back pro-bowl seasons. In recent years, he let go of Welker after 6 straight 1000 yard, 100 catch seasons. The Mankins trade got a ton of criticism last year, and that was another key pro-bowl caliber player.

McCoy has been in the league since 2009. One could argue that his best years are behind him, he had a pretty average season. RBs have a short life-time, and this year's draft class has the best RBs we've seen since 2008. The RB position isn't as valuable as it used to be, and getting Kiko Alonso addresses a huge need on defense.

You're missing my point completely with your need to compare Belichick. Chip Kelly has either traded or released the entire face of the franchise. Guys who were all in their mid 20's and were "literally" in the prime of their careers, and they were all off the team pretty much within a calendar year of one another. Bill Belichick has never done that. 

Lawyer Milloy is the closest to being in his prime years, but Wes Welker (which by the way never had 6 straight 1,000 yard/100 catch seasons) was over 30 with a ripped up knee and concussion problems when he became a Bronco and Logan Mankins was with the Pats a decade strong and was also traded to the Bucs past 30 years old and past his prime dominating years. 

And yes, you could argue that McCoy's best years are behind him, but at 26 years old, I can certainly make that argument interesting. You can make the same argument for Maclin and Jackson, but the very fact that they're in their mid 20's when WR"s usually make that leap, it would be hard to convince anyone that all of those guys careers are officially on the down turn. 

He's had less success than Rex did his 1st two years.

No he didn't.

Kelly did not take over a 9-7 winning team, loaded with very good players from the previous HC, have the #1 defense, the #1 rushing offense and have 2 teams sit all their starters so he could just back into the playoffs.

Kelly did a much better job than Wrecks did his first two years.

No he didn't.

Kelly did not take over a 9-7 winning team, loaded with very good players from the previous HC, have the #1 defense, the #1 rushing offense and have 2 teams sit all their starters so he could just back into the playoffs.

In 2007 before Favre in 2008 the Jets were 4-12

How is he overrated?

If the Eagles don't drop that week 16 game at Washington, they go 11-5 and win the NFCE for the second straight year.

But they did drop that game. And they got dominated by Dallas on SNF when their season was on the line. And they got blown out by Green Bay in Lambeau. They lost 3 of their last 4 games, if that isn't a meltdown i don't know what to tell you.

He may be a great offensive mind, and he gets overrated by the media on the basis of his college record and because his predecessor was hated by the fanbase.

No he didn't.

You're hilarious right now. No matter how you want to put it about us backing in as a 9-7 team in 09 we still ended up going to the AFCCG, and then in 2010 we won 11 games so the naysayers who had a problem with the colts sitting out starters the year prior got to see us beat that team in the playoffs the following year. 

No way in hell Chip kelly had a better 2 years when he doesnt even have a playoff win to compete with Rex 4 wins and 2 championship game appearances. 

You're missing my point completely with your need to compare Belichick. Chip Kelly has either traded or released the entire face of the franchise. Guys who were all in their mid 20's and were "literally" in the prime of their careers, and they were all off the team pretty much within a calendar year of one another. Bill Belichick has not done that. 

Lawyer Milloy is the closest to being in his prime years, but Wes Welker (which by the way never had 6 straight 1,000 yard/100 catch seasons) was over 30 with a ripped up knee and concussion problems when he became a Bronco and Logan Mankins was with the Pats a decade strong and was also traded to the Bucs past 30 years old and past his prime dominating years. 

And yes, you could argue that McCoy's best years are behind him, but at 26 years old, I can certainly make that argument interesting. You can make the same argument for Maclin and Jackson, but the very fact that they're in their mid 20's when WR"s usually make that leap, it would be hard to convince anyone that all of those guys careers are officially on the down turn. 

It wasn't the perfect analogy, but they both belong to the same school of thought. Outside of QB, players are like chess pieces - completely interchangeable within the system.

Welker had 100/1000~ in 5 of his 6 years, he had a solid last season with the Patriots. Both him and Mankins were really good players that could have continued being productive had they stayed. He also let Randy Moss go after a 1200/13 season. Some of these moves just happened out of nowhere.

McCoy's age doesn't really matter, he was a young draft pick and he has had a huge workload...6 seasons is a long time. How many RBs play well into their 8th or 9th season? Not too many nowadays. Chip is clearly building a team for the future, and you can't do that by retaining guys who already played their best ball.

Message board poster suggests ludicrous things = creative iconoclast

NFL coach with a reputation for unorthodox thinking makes the totally standard move of getting rid of guys too early instead of too late = WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN

Damn, I've really mind f****d you lol. 

It wasn't the perfect analogy, but they both belong to the same school of thought. Outside of QB, players are like chess pieces - completely interchangeable within the system.

Welker had 100/1000~ in 5 of his 6 years, he had a solid last season with the Patriots. Both him and Mankins were really good players that could have continued being productive had they stayed. He also let Randy Moss go after a 1200/13 season. Some of these moves just happened out of nowhere.

McCoy's age doesn't really matter, he was a young draft pick and he has had a huge workload...6 seasons is a long time. How many RBs play well into their 8th or 9th season? Not too many nowadays. Chip is clearly building a team for the future, and you can't do that by retaining guys who already played their best ball.

Chip Kelly is pretty much prepared to trade Nick Foles who before the injury was on target to throw over 4,300 yards during what people considers his "getting exposed year" and the year prior he had a historical year and became ProBowl MVP. 

I rest my case. 

Chip Kelly is pretty much prepared to trade Nick Foles who before the injury was on target to throw over 4,300 yards during what people considers his "getting exposed year" and the year prior he had a historical year and became ProBowl MVP. 

I rest my case. 

Nick Foles is no Tom Brady.

BTW, Foles was garbage last year, throwing 10 picks in 8 games. That might have something to do with it...

Nick Foles is no Tom Brady.

BTW, Foles was garbage last year, throwing 10 picks in 8 games. That might have something to do with it...

Having your #1 WR traded along with injuries to your OLine could have also had something to do with it. And even with having his #1 WR gone and multiple injuries to his Olinemen before his injury he was on pace to throw for over 4,300 yards and 26 TD's. Thats not garbage, thats you simply not getting it and trying to change the subject from what it originally was, to "Nick Foles is no Tom Brady". 

Having your #1 WR traded along with injuries to your OLine could have also had something to do with it. And even with having his #1 WR gone and multiple injuries to his Olinemen before his injury he was on pace to throw for over 4,300 yards and 26 TD's. Thats not garbage, thats you simply not getting it and trying to change the subject from what it originally was, to "Nick Foles is no Tom Brady". 

ok bro u win

How is he overrated?

I dont feel like looking it up, but I'm pretty sure in his albeit short NFL career, Chip Kelly's teams get destroyed by good teams and they beat the sh*tty ones. 

One could also argue that after Philadelphia was done playing Round Robin with multiple backup linemen (bad ones, at that), that McCoy averaged just under 5 ypc over the last 11 games of Philadelphia's season.

Personally, I hope he's a lot worse than last year and hits his career wall shortly after that 27th birthday, because he's a dramatic improvement over what they had.

Archived