David Harris

KRL

Before free agency starts up and the BUF rumors start to fly I would like
to thank him for his eight years as a Jet.  He's been a reliable rock at
ILB, but ever since the end of the season I've been firmly in the middle
about whether we should bring him back.  And if he did come back at what
price?  He didn't produce up to his previous deal (36 million / 4 years)
and now he's 31 with diminshing speed.  Do we really want to get into a
bidding war with BUF and give him another 3-4 year deal for between
14-20 million???  Personally if the $$$ get that high I would investigate
one of the following LB's: 

Brooks Reed - Maccagnan knows him and we can kick him inside

http://www.nfl.com/player/brooksreed/2495218/profile

Mason Foster

http://www.nfl.com/player/masonfoster/2495281/profile

Kelvin Sheppard - Rodgers our DC knows him

http://www.nfl.com/player/kelvinsheppard/2495229/profile     

He's not going to cost a fortune.  And we've got plenty of money.  Keep him or upgrade the position.  Acho, Hawk or Reed do not upgrade the position.  I think we're stuck thinking about the need to be frugal due to so many years of Tannenbaum overpaying players.  No need to be play it cheap.  We have cash and we have a solid LB.  Seems common sense to sign him and pay pay him reasonably. 

He's not going to cost a fortune.  And we've got plenty of money.  Keep him or upgrade the position.  Acho, Hawk or Reed do not upgrade the position.  I think we're stuck thinking about the need to be frugal due to so many years of Tannenbaum overpaying players.  No need to be play it cheap.  We have cash and we have a solid LB.  Seems common sense to sign him and pay pay him reasonably. 

We do need to get younger and faster at LB though, keeping him just prolongs that another year.

He's not going to cost a fortune. And we've got plenty of money. Keep him or upgrade the position. Acho, Hawk or Reed do not upgrade the position. I think we're stuck thinking about the need to be frugal due to so many years of Tannenbaum overpaying players. No need to be play it cheap. We have cash and we have a solid LB. Seems common sense to sign him and pay pay him reasonably.

Disagree. Too many teams run a 3-4 for Harris not to get paid. He's good against the run but sucks against the pass so I'm not cool with giving $6 mil per year.

Disagree. Too many teams run a 3-4 for Harris not to get paid. He's good against the run but sucks against the pass so I'm not cool with giving $6 mil per year.

So who is better?  Replace him with what player that is as good against the run and better than he is in coverage?  There isn't anyone.  So we either get worse at the position or maintain a solid level of play with a good player that's led the team in tackles nearly every year he's played.  In 2014 Harris had 124 tackles, 2 forced fumbles and 6 sacks.  He's better than Davis or anyone else at ILB on this roster or in FA right now.

So who is better? Replace him with what player that is as good against the run and better than he is in coverage? There isn't anyone. So we either get worse at the position or maintain a solid level of play with a good player that's led the team in tackles nearly every year he's played. In 2014 Harris had 124 tackles, 2 forced fumbles and 6 sacks. He's better than Davis or anyone else at ILB on this roster or in FA right now.

I'd rather just get a similar player for $4 mil less. Harris isn't as good as he was 5 years ago you overrate him.

I would like him to stay and hopefully he does too .  There will be teams that I think will give him more money than we would want to offer and if he goes I wouldn't blame him. He does have leadership and character qualities that we should pay just a little bit more than his value.   If he leaves then I hope he goes to a strong contender (not NE).   

These tweets by Joe Caporoso really sums up the Harris situation:

Joe Caporoso  @TurnOnTheJets 

#Jets have long had problem of overvaluing their own talent and self-scouting,
curious if that changes under new regime

Joe Caporoso  @TurnOnTheJets 

This is team that thought Shonn Greene was a "Bell-Cow", Wayne Hunter could be
an elite OT and Eric Smith could play 50 snaps per game

As I posted earlier if his $$$ demands get crazy it's time to move on.  Because if you

continue to pay players for their previous service and not judge them for what they

really are your roster will suffer

Sam Acho for cheap and move him to ILB. Or AJ Hawk to a cheap 1 year deal he and Harris are the same player at this point but Hawk will be cheaper.

Sam Acho?  Where do you come up with this sh*t?  You are talking about the same OLB Sam Acho that Bowles benched for Matt Shaughnessey?  The one that he didn't move to ILB despite Dansby leaving?  Bowles elected to go Larry Foote or playing nickel and dime for huge stretches instead of putting Acho at ILB.  Seems like a well thought out plan.

You cannot go into free agency with the attitude of 'we have loads of money.  That is how you get into the position we were in years ago with Tannenbaum.  You can over-spend on one, MAYBE two positions, but the rest will need to fall in line with an expectation/cost ratio.  Brooks Reed and Sam Acho can probably both be had for what we paid Harris.  Jacoby Jones and Eddie Royal can both be had for the price of Randall Cobb.  By spreading the money around to more players, it makes it easier to cut ties with a portion of any one position, rather than bringing in, say Worilds and paying him boat loads because we have the money.  What happens if he doesn't work out?  Same thinking can apply to Harris.  There is NO way we should get in a bidding war with any team if the number goes past about $4-5 million a season. 

You cannot go into free agency with the attitude of 'we have loads of money.  That is how you get into the position we were in years ago with Tannenbaum.  You can over-spend on one, MAYBE two positions, but the rest will need to fall in line with an expectation/cost ratio.  Brooks Reed and Sam Acho can probably both be had for what we paid Harris.  Jacoby Jones and Eddie Royal can both be had for the price of Randall Cobb.  By spreading the money around to more players, it makes it easier to cut ties with a portion of any one position, rather than bringing in, say Worilds and paying him boat loads because we have the money.  What happens if he doesn't work out?  Same thinking can apply to Harris.  There is NO way we should get in a bidding war with any team if the number goes past about $4-5 million a season. 

I agree with all of this.  Every word.  Never said we should overpay anyone.  I just don't think the market for Harris is going to be as hot as everyone else here is stating.  He shouldn't get a similar contract to the one he got when he was playing at his peak and had several years ahead of him.  And he won't.  Because older players that are a step slower generally don't get huge contracts.  Harris should get a decent contract.  If someone bids up Harris' value then you obviously let him go.  If his contract is reasonable or slightly above his actual worth, then you sign him and worry about the holes rather than making a new one.

I just read a report saying he wants a contract in the range of $6-8 million per year and there is no way in Hell I would give him anything remotely close to that. It would not be a good first impression for the new regime to make if they overpay for an aging LB.

Sam Acho? Where do you come up with this sh*t? You are talking about the same OLB Sam Acho that Bowles benched for Matt Shaughnessey? The one that he didn't move to ILB despite Dansby leaving? Bowles elected to go Larry Foote or playing nickel and dime for huge stretches instead of putting Acho at ILB. Seems like a well thought out plan.

drdetroit likes to play the bully know-it-all.

I just read a report saying he wants a contract in the range of $6-8 million per year and there is no way in Hell I would give him anything remotely close to that. It would not be a good first impression for the new regime to make if they overpay for an aging LB.

I agree but someone may give him that and if its a quick signing then thae market value goes up on LB's and we may have to pay someone that money anyway.  If so, lets hope hes younger.

Time to move on. He was serviceble for the Jets. The speed is necessary for the Jets to get to the playoffs. The big play interception against Brady in the playoffs was also his downfall in this league. He was caught by an OL when he should have had a TD. I don't think that this is Madden where we can just plug a guy in there though.

Good insight here once again KRL. Thanks

Before free agency starts up and the BUF rumors start to fly I would like

to thank him for his eight years as a Jet.  He's been a reliable rock at

ILB, but ever since the end of the season I've been firmly in the middle

about whether we should bring him back.  And if he did come back at what

price?  He didn't produce up to his previous deal (36 million / 4 years)

and now he's 31 with diminshing speed.  Do we really want to get into a

bidding war with BUF and give him another 3-4 year deal for between

14-20 million???  Personally if the $$$ get that high I would investigate

one of the following LB's: 

Brooks Reed - Maccagnan knows him and we can kick him inside

http://www.nfl.com/player/brooksreed/2495218/profile

Mason Foster

http://www.nfl.com/player/masonfoster/2495281/profile

Kelvin Sheppard - Rodgers our DC knows him

http://www.nfl.com/player/kelvinsheppard/2495229/profile     

No, I see the Jets bringing in a guy like Spikes as a two down run stuffer. He is an ass, but he is good against the run.

I wouldn't offer him half that. He ran like he was aging before he got that 4 year extension. Freaking Alge Crumpler, who was pushing 300 lbs at the time, ran him down in a dead heat when Harris had a head start on him. That was how many years ago? He's a pretty solid tackler, but nowhere near elite in that area either. I missed a quarter of this past season and still saw enough guys juke or wrestle away from him. 

My top offer would be pointless, since he'd get a multiple of that elsewhere, but it would cap out at around $2M or so. Low enough to justify keeping him around as a non-starter; a backup who subs in & out now and then. But someone with a 3-4 defense will make the mistake of signing him to start for them and, since Harris does have his moments, they'll convince themselves that that unexpected play he makes every 2nd-3rd game counterbalances the plodding around he does the balance of the time. 

$50 says he'd come in 4th place in a race among him, Wilkerson, Richardson, and Coples. 

Archived