David Harris

KRL

Before free agency starts up and the BUF rumors start to fly I would like

to thank him for his eight years as a Jet.  He's been a reliable rock at

ILB, but ever since the end of the season I've been firmly in the middle

about whether we should bring him back.  And if he did come back at what

price?  He didn't produce up to his previous deal (36 million / 4 years)

and now he's 31 with diminshing speed.  Do we really want to get into a

bidding war with BUF and give him another 3-4 year deal for between

14-20 million???  Personally if the $$$ get that high I would investigate

one of the following LB's: 

Brooks Reed - Maccagnan knows him and we can kick him inside

http://www.nfl.com/player/brooksreed/2495218/profile

Mason Foster

http://www.nfl.com/player/masonfoster/2495281/profile

Kelvin Sheppard - Rodgers our DC knows him

http://www.nfl.com/player/kelvinsheppard/2495229/profile     

Reed is not an inside player, I don't think that is something a player can just slide to at the NFL level.  I like the other options though.

Harris is as solid as they come, he doesn't make flash plays but he is ROCK SOLID and truly underappreciated.  Not as a stud necessarily but I truly believe this:  If DH leaves the opposing teams yards per carry goes up a half a yard.  I'd love a 3 year deal with little guaranteed money in the final year giving the option to cut ties after 2.

It's weird but I'd take Sean Weatherspoon and throw him inside before Foster/Sheppard. Both are just young versions of the player Harris is now. Weatherspoon's better against the pass if healthy. McClain too, but yeah...The FA ILB options suck.

Harris is as solid as they come, he doesn't make flash plays but he is ROCK SOLID and truly underappreciated.  Not as a stud necessarily but I truly believe this:  If DH leaves the opposing teams yards per carry goes up a half a yard.  I'd love a 3 year deal with little guaranteed money in the final year giving the option to cut ties after 2.

Harris is solid against the run, but he is terrible against the pass.  His lack of speed is a major weakness as players constantly create separation against him and become easy targets for the quarterback.

It's time to get faster and younger.  It's time to move on.

It's weird but I'd take Sean Weatherspoon and throw him inside before Foster/Sheppard. Both are just young versions of the player Harris is now. Weatherspoon's better against the pass if healthy. McClain too, but yeah...The FA ILB options suck.

Acho, a FA from Arizona should be a strong consideration.

If we're talking McKinney, and it's probably McKinney, he's one of the best and most complete players in the draft.

I agree , I'm an LSU fan so watch a lot of SEC football . McKinney would be great on the Jets , problem is he'd be a major reach at 6 and I don't believe he gets to the 2nd rd for our pick.

I think as always Jet fans overvalue our current players .  That would be like asking me to evaluate Lance Mehl .

Archived